ZTE Skate - Confirmed Monte Carlo

Guest Jekle

Guest gwebb
Now, any implications for the Blade....didn't think so ;)

So, who's ordering the Skate now?

Interesting. It sounds like Qualcomm have persuaded Adobe to port to the ARMv6, "today announced the extension of Adobe® Flash® Player capabilities and full web browsing to the mass market segment of Qualcomm-enabled smartphones". I wonder if it will be exclusive to the 7227 Turbo or more widely available for ARMv6 processors? It might not even be on the Market, it could be something licensed to Qualcomm partners.

That said I still don't think the Skate is that interesting. A Huawei U8800 isn't much more expensive and has a much better processor, and there will likely be many more MSM7230 based phones soon.

Guest irishpancake
Interesting. It sounds like Qualcomm have persuaded Adobe to port to the ARMv6, "today announced the extension of Adobe® Flash® Player capabilities and full web browsing to the mass market segment of Qualcomm-enabled smartphones". I wonder if it will be exclusive to the 7227 Turbo or more widely available for ARMv6 processors? It might not even be on the Market, it could be something licensed to Qualcomm partners.

That said I still don't think the Skate is that interesting. A Huawei U8800 isn't much more expensive and has a much better processor, and there will likely be many more MSM7230 based phones soon.

Think I agree with you re the long-awaited Skate, unless the price-point is very competitive with the Huawei.....however, the addition of Flash on the Skate is a game changer in favour of ZTE.

See the comparison here, obviously written before the Skate Flash announcement.....

Skate actually wins on weight, display size, Gingerbread stock ROM, but loses on Battery capacity (1500mAh vs 1400mAh).......

All down to price, IMHO.

And, coming from the Blade user community, I would be comfortable continuing with ZTE, as opposed to Huawei.......but still down to price.

Guest Pondlife
And, coming from the Blade user community, I would be comfortable continuing with ZTE, as opposed to Huawei.......but still down to price.

Wouldn't necessarily worry about the community after all it's not like those who've done the awesome work here will definitely be moving to the Skate, if the Huawei or something else offers better product for similar price it might become more popular and get a better community than the Skate. Besides with gingerbread already on it there's half the fun gone ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Just Wondering

So , big question , did they finally decide which processor they are going to use ?

i noticed it is 800mhz , is this the same processor as use in the blade , but running at 800mhz ?

Guest k0zmic
So , big question , did they finally decide which processor they are going to use ?

i noticed it is 800mhz , is this the same processor as use in the blade , but running at 800mhz ?

No, it's the MSM 7627. The Blade has a 7227 IIRC.

Guest k0zmic
No Skate has 7227 Turbo and Blade has 7227 IIRC.

You might be right, seeing as the Galaxy Ace has it too.

But I think the hands on my a site with the Skate stated it has Flash Player.

From here http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Qualcomm-Exp...l?x=0&.v=1:

Qualcomm's 800MHz MSM7x27™ mobile processor will be the first to enable Flash Player

So it may well a 7627 or a 7227 Turbo.

Guest Pelemane
You might be right, seeing as the Galaxy Ace has it too.

But I think the hands on my a site with the Skate stated it has Flash Player.

From here http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Qualcomm-Exp...l?x=0&.v=1:

So it may well a 7627 or a 7227 Turbo.

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/magazine/mo...414_227996.html

It says "Skate is powered by an 800 MHz processor with a Qualcomm MSM7227T chipset and an Adreno 200 graphics processor (41 million triangles/sec)."

I'm pretty sure MSM7227T is MSM7227 Turbo, not 7627 :)

There was a rumour that they changed processor after that article but if they changed it I think and hope that they put 7230 into it.

Guest k0zmic
http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/magazine/mo...414_227996.html

It says "Skate is powered by an 800 MHz processor with a Qualcomm MSM7227T chipset and an Adreno 200 graphics processor (41 million triangles/sec)."

I'm pretty sure MSM7227T is MSM7227 Turbo, not 7627 :)

There was a rumour that they changed processor after that article but if they changed it I think and hope that they put 7230 into it.

Ah thanks for the clarification. Yeah I was hoping they'd changed it as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThermalDroid

QUOTE(gwebb @ Jun 14 2011, 09:43) Interesting. It sounds like Qualcomm have persuaded Adobe to port to the ARMv6, "today announced the extension of Adobe® Flash® Player capabilities and full web browsing to the mass market segment of Qualcomm-enabled smartphones". I wonder if it will be exclusive to the 7227 Turbo or more widely available for ARMv6 processors? It might not even be on the Market, it could be something licensed to Qualcomm partners.

Think I agree with you re the long-awaited Skate, unless the price-point is very competitive with the Huawei.....however, the addition of Flash on the Skate is a game changer in favour of ZTE.

See the comparison here, obviously written before the Skate Flash announcement.....

Skate actually wins on weight, display size, Gingerbread stock ROM, but loses on Battery capacity (1500mAh vs 1400mAh).......

All down to price, IMHO.

Agreed it needs to be sub £200 for me to consider it seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swisstourist

The ZTE Skate was announced back in February this year and now 3G has spotted this is posted as "coming" soon on Clove's website.

Pre-orders are being taken now for a delivery date of the 18thSeptember and will set you back £250 and is supplied unlocked ready for use on any 3G network. The ZTE Skate as supplied by Clove comes in ZTE's own branding - it is also coming to Orange as will be known as the Orange Monte Carlo.

ZTE has also recently agreed a deal with Brightpoint who will act as a European distributor for ZTE's smartphones and tablets.

The ZTE Skate comes with Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread ), has an Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), has an 800 MHz processor, a 5 MP camera with autofocus and flash and a 4.3" capacitive touchscreen with 800 x 480 resolution.

Additionally, it sports aGPS and Google Maps, MicroSDHC up to 32 GB, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, measures 125.9mm x 67.8mm x 10.4mm and weighs 120 grams.

ZTE also launched its first tablet recently which is the ZTE Light Android tablet. We expect to see ZTE become a rising star over the next 12 months in the European market as it targets 12,000 smartphone sales in 2011.

Guest swisstourist

£250?! They've definitely lost my custom then, I can get a Desire HD for that.

yes, big screen sucking battery, too big for pockets, expensive...

are they crazy? nobody is going to buy it! 99 pound for the blade, maybe 120-130 pounds for the skate.

Guest k0zmic

That's £250 unsubsidized the Orange branded one will be a lot cheaper.

They'll put it down when they realise nobody's buying it for that insane price.