• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does upgrading to Froyo remove SIM Lock?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just bought Pulse Mini for better-half.

I am using ZTE Blade and blade you can remove SIM lock by upgrading to Froyo 2.2 from stock 2.1 ROM.

(I know now the code is freely available for ZTE Blade)

For Pulse Mini, the unlock code costs £10+, so I was just wondering if it is possible to remove SIM lock by just upgrading the stock ROM to any custom 2.2 ROM?

Edited by Niks10

Posted

I would be surprised. However, my Pulse unlocked fine with an X-Sim device from ebay, I see no reason why a Mini wouldn;t be the same. About four quid IIRC. Obviously you have to cut your sim card but that's easy to do.

Posted

I am using ZTE Blade and blade you can remove SIM lock by upgrading to Froyo 2.2 from stock 2.1 ROM.

That's not exactly true. Some Froyo 2.2 ROMs don't read the status of the SIM lock and thus allow any SIM card to be used. This isn't quite the same thing as removing the SIM lock. If you flash back to 2.1 the SIM lock status will be read again and the phone stop working on alternative networks.

Removing the SIM lock by using the code generator ensures that any SIM will work regardless of the ROM.

It's a very subtle difference but key to understanding the behaviour of the phone if you swap backwards and forwards a lot.

Posted

RavemasterX- I would be surprised. However, my Pulse unlocked fine with an X-Sim device from ebay, I see no reason why a Mini wouldn;t be the same. About four quid IIRC. Obviously you have to cut your sim card but that's easy to do.

Does this x-sim unlock the pulse mini? The pulse mini is not mentioned on the website for the x-sim. How much did the x-sim cost you on ebay? Got a link?

thanks

Posted

Just bought Pulse Mini for better-half.

(I know now the code is freely available for ZTE Blade)

For Pulse Mini, the unlock code costs £10+, so I was just wondering if it is possible to remove SIM lock by just upgrading the stock ROM to any custom 2.2 ROM?

You can't remove SIM lock by upgrading to Froyo 2.2 from stock 2.1 ROM . But, you can use the features of the newer version ( Froyo 2.2) . You can remove SIM lock by using unlocking method. A lot of possible ways available for unlocking phones . Among all, using unlock code is one of the legit way to unlock your ZTE Blade from your locked network. You can unlock your phone by using software/from your Network carrier/using free instructions/from any of the third-party service providers like Onlinegsmunlock.com . Note : Unlock service cost will vary from one provider to another. It depends upon their service. To get the code from online service, you have to mention your country and network to get the unlock code from them. So, it is not possible to remove SIM lock by just upgrading stock ROM to any custom 2.2 ROM.