[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest drobson67
Why is FM radio so big deal for people? They can download Tune In radio from Android Market and listen whatever radio channel they want via internet..

Tune In Radio uses the internet where as the FM radio receives stations via the plug in earphones (antenna) so I guess those with a limited data allowance might want to use the latter. Sorry didnt read the above post this question has already been answered.

Edited by drobson67

Guest supermies123
Not all of the people have unlimited internet access! Normal FM radio also better for the battery, and it has the RDS also, which in theory can be used as traffic information source - also without using mobile data, which is expensive in some countries, like Hungary f.e., and also not really reliable.

So the reasons are a (good) bit similar, as to prefer offiline navigation above online ones.

Oh, i didn't think about other countries mobile data costs.. There must be different pricing in different countries. Here in Finland 512kbps mobile connection with unlimited data transfer costs 4,90 euros in month...

Guest nativelion
Oh, i didn't think about other countries mobile data costs.. There must be different pricing in different countries. Here in Finland 512kbps mobile connection with unlimited data transfer costs 4,90 euros in month...

In Portugal 600Mb of Internet per month costs 15,58 Eur... ;)

Guest howzcat
In Portugal 600Mb of Internet per month costs 15,58 Eur... ;)

yup..i pay 7.50 euros for 200mb/month. FM radio to listen to the football WHILE i'm at the stadium! lolll

Guest ladiko

i accept some rare advertisement short messages and have to reply to one of them once a month (reply is free of charge) and get a free data flat, speed is reduced to 56k after 200MB which is ok for mobile phones. netzclub.net / Germany

btw: is there any mobile phone platform that support navigation with TMC over FM? Any apps for android?

Edited by ladiko

Guest The_Duck

I too would like the FM radio to be working.

Not every radio station streams live to the web and listening to podcasts is a pain in the a$$.

If it doesn't work.. I am not going to hurl my Blade against a wall or downgrade to froyo just to get an FM radio. But if it could be made to work as originally designed, I would be a happy camper :-)

Duck

Guest geegeethatsme
Here in the UK, £10 per month will get you Unlimited data from giffgaff.

Hmm, when you can get a connection and a decent speed, that is. GiffGaff is currently having a problem (several months in and counting) with consistent data services. There's a looong thread on its Community pages which folks would be advised to read before considering options to switch.

Guest k0zmic
Hmm, when you can get a connection and a decent speed, that is. GiffGaff is currently having a problem (several months in and counting) with consistent data services. There's a looong thread on its Community pages which folks would be advised to read before considering options to switch.

Do you have any idea why it's slow, i.e. over subscribed? I don't really want to trawl through the thread!

I was on T-Mobile but decided to try giffgaff,glad I did cause I get full 3G signal almost all the time in every room of the house.But some times when I am out and about I struggle to get even 2G ;)

@Kozmic,I think your right with the over subscribed.The unlimited data is certainly putting the strain on giffgaff.

edit: giffgaff say,

Update on 09-06-2011 09:10

giffgaff and O2 are doing three types of speed and performance testing this month to make sure that the data speeds experienced with the improved hardware provide similar or better data speeds to O2 Pay & Go.

Firstly giffgaff are currently doing some regional testing with a variety of devices for the majority of the networks to see who provides the best data speed and download time. We cant test everything, everywhere (or rather we cant test all scenarios, for all locations and all devices) but have included O2, Orange, Tmobile, Voda and 3 across a range of devices (Iphone, blackberry, android, and even dongles for the non giffgaff services). We are doing this across 3-4 city locations in the UK.

Initial results have shown that O2, giffgaff and 3 are consistently performing better than TMobile, Voda and Orange - in both the speed tests and in downloading pages and files. But there is still a lot more testing to do and we will publish the full results when all the tests are complete.

Secondly O2 have speed tested the new giffgaff service (due to be live in early July) against O2 in the lab environment and have found giffgaff to be slightly quicker (by a few percent)

Edited by Guest

Guest pellonet
I was on T-Mobile but decided to try giffgaff,glad I did cause I get full 3G signal almost all the time in every room of the house.But some times when I am out and about I struggle to get even 2G ;)

@Kozmic,I think your right with the over subscribed.The unlimited data is certainly putting the strain on giffgaff.

This thread is starting to degrade into something other than CM7.

As hinted earlier, there is a place for disappointment posts over at the Community pages of Giffgaff.

As a fellow giffgaffer, I have to add that in this part of the London area, in comparison with all of the other networks, Giffgaff (O2) is excellent both on service & value for money.

Guest k0zmic
As a fellow giffgaffer, I have to add that in this part of the London area, in comparison with all of the other networks, Giffgaff (O2) is excellent both on service & value for money.

What part of London are you in?

Guest JayGB1982

giffgaff runs on o2 but its much more better value for money :P

Which ROM should I use? I'm still on N84 + libaudio patch.

I've seen a recent unofficial build with some nice additional features built in.

Not really far from a perfect CM7 ROM on the Blade! ;)

Muchos Kudos all round!

Guest _amano

It's strange that some people still seem to suffer from some kind of proximity issue while it is fine for the majority of us. Might it be a setting ("Proximity always on")?

Guest k0zmic
It's strange that some people still seem to suffer from some kind of proximity issue while it is fine for the majority of us. Might it be a setting ("Proximity always on")?

Nah, I don't think so. I've tested extensively with all the setting combinations you can think of on a range of nightlies. It seems to be a CM Proximity sensor driver issue since SS or stock don't have the same problem for me at least.

It seems to be an issue with B10 Blades I think.

lolol i pay 4.9e/month for 13mbps with unlimited traffic.

Guest stubphen
I have exactly the same problem, I've had it during most of the releases. The only workaround there is (And it's not even that good) is dial a random number and wait for the thing to say 'Incorrect number' then it'll hang up then the screen will return. After that the screen won't turn off again. This will need to be done every reboot.

Mine is B10 as well. Out of interest, When did you buy yours?

I got mine in Jan from my frd in UK but it was bricked 2 months later...

just got a replaced B10 in May

Curious... How did u dial random number with screen off and got it return?

that's at least better than rebooting by pulling out battery..

Guest stubphen
@Stubphen, have you tested your Proximity Sensor in Elixir? What happens in that app?

I didnt try that app in Elixir

but there was no screen off problem

so i believe it is a software problem

Guest k0zmic
I got mine in Jan from my frd in UK but it was bricked 2 months later...

just got a replaced B10 in May

Curious... How did u dial random number with screen off and got it return?

that's at least better than rebooting by pulling out battery..

I enabled 'Always use proximity'. Then I just dial a stupid number e.g. 38354953483 wait for it and then the screen should come back. I'm on N96 BTW.

I didnt try that app in Elixir

but there was no screen off problem

so i believe it is a software problem

It is a software problem, 95% sure.

In Elixir try this:

1.) Turn it on, what is the distance in CM or is it a blank line?

2.) Turn it off.

3.) Put your finger directly in front of it, turn it on. What is the distance or blank line?

4.) Now move your finger back and forth. Does the distance change or stay the same?

Mine doesn't register my finger moving away, this makes me believe that the proximity sensor driver can't 'see' my finger moving away and close hence the reason it makes the screen turn off.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest k0zmic
Does this n96 need any fixes?

Nope seems pretty solid to me (aside from my proximity issue). I'm pretty sure it'll be good for you.