[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest dibbles
Any app using the GPS makes it shut down 10-20 minutes after closing down the app. As long as I dont have the USB cable plugged in... So that makes it so much harder to logcat :D When I then pull the cable out, it shuts down within said time.

It is VERY easy to logcat the problem. I submitted the bug to the tracker using the logcat as follows...

Open termincal emulator from the app drawer...

Type

su

logcat > /data/logcat.txt

then press the home key.

Then the logcat.txt file will be generating within the data folder of the phone. Use the GPS function via an application and allow it to get a Sat lock. Exit the application and you will notice the GPS in the status bar disappear.

This bit is very important...(if not done and the phone is used at all then it really delays the shutdown and some people might not associate the GPS action as shutting down their phone)

Let the phone idle and sleep and within 20 to 40 mins (for me anyway) the phone should vibrate and shutdown, as though it was a regular power off.

Use ADB (I use Android Commander) to copy the logcat.txt file from the data folder on the phone to wherever you need it to add to the bug thread...

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3277

you can also use the terminal emulator to copy the logcat file to the SD Card...

su

cp /data/logcat.txt /sdcard/logcat.txt

Edited by dibbles

Guest socialworker

Maps starts itself all the time, not sure it actually drains battery.

However, does anyone know since which version it does this?

Anybody got the latest 'non-draining' version apk?

Guest reluctant_traveller
Except they don't... GPS is still a known issue in the bug tracker. :D

i meant alot of people reporting problem see my earlier posts someone wrote on here that it was fixed you just have to reboot you phone when exciting gps id say that was a problem and thankyou for posting that i dont feel like an idiot now with more wait to my post

I sometimes forget that not everyone understands UK sarcasm.

What I meant was that if people did not want to read previous posts to establish if a problem still exists, then it doesn't matter what I say, I may as well report it as working to those particular posters because they will probably ignore my posts too.

And yes wookie16081965, there is actually no problem with the GPS, it works splendidly, it gets a fix pretty fast and gives a reliable signal all the time I use mapping software. The problem is that after use, the phone shutsdown. My advice was to reboot the phone after using to stop it shutting down of its own accord.

It takes less than a minute to reboot my phone, so for me, I do not see it as a problem at all. Sure, not having to reboot after using GPS will be sweet once that issue is resolved, but until then, I am pretty happy with RC4.

Another thing, instead of people asking if there is a problem still, and then not bothering to install if there is, why not install and check it out for yourself.

Confirm the issues that others have reported and actually make use of the bugtracker.

I have submitted reports for bugs, but if the dozens of people on this thread that had/have issues did too, it would help prioritise the Blades bugfixing because we have a fuller picture from logs and demographics of users.

edit:

That is the number of people currently 'starring' the 'GPS' issue on the bugtracker.

Just 28.

If everyone just logs into the bugtracker and stars that issue, it may get more attention.

USB tethering has 29 stars, and the bloody FM radio has 40stars. FM radio!? really?

Edited by reluctant_traveller

Guest galorin

I'm working on my writeup of experiences since instaling RC4 yesterday, just RC4 + google apps + simple2ext w/ partition change. If I don't need any of the above for a good test/experience, let me know via PM, don't want to clutter the thread any more than I already have. So far, it's a positive experience, with niggles of course.

Have a CM7 related query, don't know if this is better off in this thread or a new one, or even on another part of the forum, but anyhow...

With my above setup, I don't have the ability to do the USB tether thing, and I have a PC at home with no available network connection. Is it possible, to pair the phone with the desktop via bluetooth (Yes, I have a dongle in the PC) and share my wifi connection over that? Speed isn't important, and providing power isn't a problem, can charge phone off mains. So, is ther an app that can do this, and actually works with CM7, or am I entering uncharted territory here?

Guest targetbsp
That is the number of people currently 'starring' the 'GPS' issue on the bugtracker.

Just 28.

Yeah. I don't even use the GPS but I starred it because I consider it the last remaining serious bug and I'd like to know when it's fixed. :D Everything else there to me looks like niggling issues or feature requests. I appreciate some of them will still be show stoppers for people that need those features but I don't think the majority will need whats remaining to happily use the rom.

Guest simonckenyon
thanks thats what i was trying to ask if phone switches off or you have to reboot manually then obviously theres a problem with it and asking has it been fixed seems to make people think your thick or cant read

why don't you try and see for yourself?

Guest pellen
It is VERY easy to logcat the problem. I submitted the bug to the tracker using the logcat as follows...

Open termincal emulator from the app drawer...

Type

su

logcat > /data/logcat.txt

then press the home key.

Then the logcat.txt file will be generating within the data folder of the phone. Use the GPS function via an application and allow it to get a Sat lock. Exit the application and you will notice the GPS in the status bar disappear.

This bit is very important...(if not done and the phone is used at all then it really delays the shutdown and some people might not associate the GPS action as shutting down their phone)

Let the phone idle and sleep and within 20 to 40 mins (for me anyway) the phone should vibrate and shutdown, as though it was a regular power off.

Use ADB (I use Android Commander) to copy the logcat.txt file from the data folder on the phone to wherever you need it to add to the bug thread...

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3277

you can also use the terminal emulator to copy the logcat file to the SD Card...

su

cp /data/logcat.txt /sdcard/logcat.txt

Brilliant, I didn't think of using the terminal :D Will try it asap.

Guest simonckenyon

What I meant was that if people did not want to read previous posts to establish if a problem still exists, then it doesn't matter what I say, I may as well report it as working to those particular posters because they will probably ignore my posts too.

And yes wookie16081965, there is actually no problem with the GPS, it works splendidly, it gets a fix pretty fast and gives a reliable signal all the time I use mapping software. The problem is that after use, the phone shutsdown. My advice was to reboot the phone after using to stop it shutting down of its own accord.

It takes less than a minute to reboot my phone, so for me, I do not see it as a problem at all. Sure, not having to reboot after using GPS will be sweet once that issue is resolved, but until then, I am pretty happy with RC4.

you are saying that your phone doesn't shutdown after using gps because when you have finished using it you reboot?

that is not a fix. and saying it "works" is just confusing people

Guest simonckenyon

the other big outstanding bug is the wifi reconnect problem

i realise that it works for other people; but it doesn't for me and i don't know what is different about my setup

Guest wookie16081965

i dont mind installing roms with a few bugs i usually wait for people to flag up problems see them fixed then i will install as i use gps alot id be rebooting phone 20 -30 times a day that would be a pain thats why asked after reading through numerous pages and not seeing anybody say it was fixed and its still not fixed now i know there is no need for people to be so uptight and wont answer a question respectively oh and by the way the song is mud mud glorious mud you cant even get that right but thxs anyway for answering my question the gps is not fixed on rc4 thats all i wanted to know

Guest wookie16081965
why don't you try and see for yourself?

i use gps alot so i would rather wait for it to be fixed then i can install

Guest lixcab

Installed RC4 last night. I couldn't be bothered to use my computer, so I just downloaded the zip file using my phone.

Updated from RC3 no problem. I didn't wipe / data (as instructed by CM7 team on their post)

. Battery lasts the same time as any other ROM so no problem there

. GPS works fine

. Everything runs very smooth. I've been running 710Mhz overclocked since RC3.

. Google Apps all work

For those who want to compare device and installation procedure mine was -

Device: OLED OSF bought Nov 2010 (so I'm guessing Gen 1?)

CWM version: v3.0.1.4

Original Installation of RC3

In CWM: mounts and storage/ formatted sdcard

In CWM: mounts and storage/ formatted system

In CWM: mounts and storage/ formatted data

In CWM: mounts and storage/ formatted cache

In CWM: Main menu: wipe data/factory reset

In CWM: Main menu: wipe cache partition

In CWM: Main menu: install zip from sdcard (installed RC3 zip)

In CWM: Main menu: install zip from sdcard (installed gaaps addon)

In CWM: Main menu: reboot system now

then to RC4

In CWM: Main menu: install zip from sdcard (installed RC4 zip)

All settings and apps were kept and everything works great so far!

Off to donate to CM7 team :D

Edit: I'm using ADW Launcher EX and I highly recommend you use that instead of the free ADW. Its just a faster, smoother UI experience.

Edited by lixcab

Guest dibbles
Brilliant, I didn't think of using the terminal :D Will try it asap.

You are welcome.

Please post you results to that thread I noted, if possible. Even if you do not manage to get the required files then just submit that you too are experiencing the same GPS issues and I hope that it will add validity, as well as maybe raise the emphasis of the problem, and hopeful solution. The more information the devs have from different users I would hope can only help them in their work to help us B)

i use gps alot so i would rather wait for it to be fixed then i can install

@wookie16081965 - so do I, well I use it enough to be bothered about the issue. However I thought that it was important to use the ROM and then submit the issue to the tracker so that the devs have a chance to fix it. It did not take me long to nandroid my previous ROM and then install RC3 (now RC4) to get the requested files for the devs so that they can hopefully find a fix.

I think that it is important to do this because if we don't then the problem either doesn't get reported or might not seem to effect (or is it affect?) that many users etc to warrant the devs time in providing a fix.

oh and by the way the song is mud mud glorious mud you cant even get that right

Ahem.

The song is most often associated with Michael Flanders and Donald Swann who also composed it. It is available on their LP At the Drop of a Hat.

The proper title of the song is Hippopotamus.

And I do not recall getting anything wrong, to be honest.

The 'FIX' I suggested is a good one.

Instead of using the back button or home button to end use of the GPS application, use the power button to access the reboot menu.

Usually I do this and slip the phone back into my pocket; it reboots in a minute and is immediately available again for calls etc.

Sure its a pain if you want to exit the app and use the phone for something else straight away, because the phone will inevitably shut down, but I think what you are forgetting is that this is not a final release of Cyanogen. It is a RC requiring further refinement and bugtesting.

Edited by reluctant_traveller

Guest JolyonS
Use the GPS function via an application and allow it to get a Sat lock. Exit the application and you will notice the GPS in the status bar disappear.

Okay, I'll see if I can reproduce the problem this way on my OLED OSF.

Guest pellen
You are welcome.

Please post you results to that thread I noted, if possible. Even if you do not manage to get the required files then just submit that you too are experiencing the same GPS issues and I hope that it will add validity, as well as maybe raise the emphasis of the problem, and hopeful solution. The more information the devs have from different users I would hope can only help them in their work to help us :D

@wookie16081965 - so do I, well I use it enough to be bothered about the issue. However I thought that it was important to use the ROM and then submit the issue to the tracker so that the devs have a chance to fix it. It did not take me long to nandroid my previous ROM and then install RC3 (now RC4) to get the requested files for the devs so that they can hopefully find a fix.

I think that it is important to do this because if we don't then the problem either doesn't get reported or might not seem to effect (or is it affect?) that many users etc to warrant the devs time in providing a fix.

I successfully fetched some logs when it shut down, and I too get the:

I/ActivityManager(  175): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.ACTION_REQUEST_SHUTDOWN flg=0x10000000 cmp=android/com.android.server.ShutdownActivity (has extras) } from pid 175

that seems to start the whole shutdown procedure.

PID 175 seems to be a process named "system_server".

Guest dibbles
I successfully fetched some logs when it shut down, and I too get the:

I/ActivityManager(  175): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.ACTION_REQUEST_SHUTDOWN flg=0x10000000 cmp=android/com.android.server.ShutdownActivity (has extras) } from pid 175

that seems to start the whole shutdown procedure.

PID 175 seems to be a process named "system_server".

I noticed that Simon referred to that in the bug thread.

Please add your results too :D

Guest galorin

Just throwing my 2c in on battery life and general experience on RC4. May be of use, may not be. I installed RC4 yesterday, very few modifications, and only restored a few apps and widgets, so not a lot of stuff on the phone. Using stock Launcher Pro, sluggish 3d app drawer, but that's changeable.

No overclocking, CM CPU settings are default

Background data is on

wifi sleep policy set to when screen is off (default)

• starting when I woke up @ 7:00
  • (07:00)100% unplugged phone from wall charger, had done the battery recalibration thing day before.
  • did morning things, wifi is always on, 3g is always on
  • did some surfing on wifi over breakfast, 15mins
  • I use endomondo to track my cycling commute, 20-25 minutes, music playing through speaker at full volume. Forgot to turn off wifi and 3g, but had GPS running the entire commute.
  • (08:30)87% Settled in to work, picked up wifi automatically, shut off music and GPS, first check of battery.
  • (10:00)79% Occasional interaction. I'm getting email into Outlook, but no phone notifications
  • (11:00)65% after installing apps, checking email, altering settings.
  • (11:30)64% Received phone call from wife. Screen refused to wake up until three rings and pressing power button. Default dialer app.
  • (13:00) 54%, ending tests for now. RSS feeds added

No GPS shutdown during testing period

No wifi disconnect issue during testing period

I am lucky on the GPS thing, but since I can't overclock past 652 without instability, that makes it even.

No email notifications from default email app until after enabling vibrate always. Strange. Gmail didn't notify either until after I changed it. Other notifications not working as expected. Can't reproduce after tinkering with settings. *shrug*

Phone woke up fine for other calls, just that first one it was unresponsive.

6hours, 2minutes on battery

usage from About Phone section

26% wifi

22% Android System

15% Display

14% Endomondo

12% Dialler

5% Mobile Standby

3% Android OS

2% Phone Idle

2% Voice Calls

2% maps

Spare Parts Battery History since last unplugged

63.8% Running

23.7% Screen on

0.3% Phone on

99.8% Wifi on

99.8% Wifi Running

0.2% Bluetooth on

Guest Amphoras
the other big outstanding bug is the wifi reconnect problem

i realise that it works for other people; but it doesn't for me and i don't know what is different about my setup

Wifi is variable for me. Sometimes it reconnects fine after sleeping, other times I need to do it manually. Dunno why, can't think of any obvious difference between when it does and doesn't.

Trying unsuccessfully to get GPS to shut down my phone just now. Tried opening maps, waiting a couple of mins, pressed back button to get back to the home screen, waited until the GPS icon vanished then turned the screen off. Left the phone sitting there for ~40mins and it was still on. Turned the screen back on and started the GPS test app. Went over to the window and had connection to 8/9 satellites. Waited a couple of mins then closed the app. GPS icon went away, and this time I left the screen to go off itself. That was an hour and a half ago, checked my phone just there and its still on. Trying with GPS test again, will leave it to sit for longer before I check it this time and see what happens.

Guest MikeRame
N25+ has smooth scrolling, mostly depends the launcher, ADW EX is perfect for it, or the gingerbread launcher, the original ADW sucks though..

I think ADW EX is worth the money and it is really fast. Thank you very much for the tip.

Guest Maringer
Trying unsuccessfully to get GPS to shut down my phone just now. Tried opening maps, waiting a couple of mins, pressed back button to get back to the home screen, waited until the GPS icon vanished then turned the screen off. Left the phone sitting there for ~40mins and it was still on. Turned the screen back on and started the GPS test app. Went over to the window and had connection to 8/9 satellites. Waited a couple of mins then closed the app. GPS icon went away, and this time I left the screen to go off itself. That was an hour and a half ago, checked my phone just there and its still on. Trying with GPS test again, will leave it to sit for longer before I check it this time and see what happens.

I'm attempting to get the phone to shut down with the GPS bug, too. No success as yet. I used GPS briefly about 90 minutes ago, first in Maps then checked it was working in CoPilot, too (incidentally, fix seemed to be almost instantaneous in both apps!). Since then, I've not used the phone at all, but checked about 30 minutes ago to see if it had shut down. It was still running fine.

I've got the phone sitting on the desk in front of me so should hear if it buzzes then shuts down.

Guest Xenon0816

Did anyone else notice some problems with the touchscreen? While playing Fruit Ninja (which runs smooth as hell on gb) I noticed that not every swipe was recognised (I missed some fruits :D )... Anyone else who can confirm this issue? Or is it a known problem?

Guest simonckenyon
Wifi is variable for me. Sometimes it reconnects fine after sleeping, other times I need to do it manually. Dunno why, can't think of any obvious difference between when it does and doesn't.

here is a completely spurious theory

it only reconnects if it doesn't have to renew the dhcp lease

nto sure how to test