[HOWTO]Change the digitizer screen (ZTE Blade)

Guest Goots

Hi then, I need to replace my digitizer screen and I'm searching for options..

http://www.ebay.co.u...4702671&afsrc=1

and

http://www.ebay.co.u...6464458&afsrc=1

The first one is used and I'm not sure if it is in good conditions..the second is in 'Seller refurbished' condition so I dont know what I go to buy.. If someone has feedback from this sellers pls report here.. I'll be very grateful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270833033548?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570.l2736%26_nkw%3D270833033548%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

£9.39 delivered. (from message above)

• 1 month later...

Do you own one ? (Be worth getting one if is the 5 point multitouch one for anyone).

No, i had already ordered one from ebay when i seen it on Dealextreme.

The Ebay 1 i received today (from joneps' ebay link) and the metal screen case in the fascia is slightly different to my oled sanFran, this results in the screen not fitting.Has any other oled owners found this, i dont want to press to hard to get the circuit board in, especially as it just falls into place on the old fascia.

Doh!! The metal case was part of the old screen, managed to pry it off and it clipped together fine.

TIP; dont do this with a toddler running around, you miss the obvious and they grab stuff,now to find those screws :(

Edited by jmcn

hi guys,

I have a nice OLED zte blade, and yesterday I opened just for cleaning the dust between the OLED and the touch screen. My phone was absolutely ok!!

I did the disassemble very carefully, cleaned the OLED with a cotton shirt and the digitize screen, then closed up and then turn on the phone...

well.. the touch screen didn't work at all, the buttons worked just fine.. I entered the recovery mode and tried to re install CM7 but nothing worked.. the phone isn't installing the rom.. what have I done? Can anyone help me? :(

EDIT: added some photos

IMG_20111227_200737.jpgIMG_20111227_200729.jpgIMG_20111227_200718.jpgIMG_20111227_200710.jpg

IMG_20111227_200446.jpg

IMG_20111227_200458.jpg

IMG_20111227_200518.jpg

IMG_20111227_200540.jpg

IMG_20111227_200702.jpg

Edited by xavia

Hi Xavia,

Page 3, Post 44 by Ralph may be of help to you.

There are 5 contacts along the edges of the phone, 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

They are quite fragile and MAY be the cause of your problem as they can be disturbed during the replacement procedure.

To view them, he refers to image number 5 in the original post (Post No.1)

Good luck. :)

Response to my posts at 97 & 99 (& Goots 98) all on Page 5.

I successfully tackled my sons digitizer screen replacement this evening. Thankfully, the Oled LCD panel underneath was undamaged.

The only sticking point for me, with my dodgy eyesight, was trying to release the flap holding the ribbon cable the opposite way round! Once I figured that out the rest was fine.

I still went through the usual 'sh**tin myself' routine while waiting an age for it to boot up though.

All is well on it so far and I asked him to give it a good work out to stress it a bit and see if it dies on him.

Thanks goots for the step through (P1), also mrflibbles for the battery release tip as it did indeed release easier (P80) & ojconcentrate for the mobo cable warning (P81). All appreciated. :D

Edited by anglo

Hi Xavia,

Page 3, Post 44 by Ralph may be of help to you.

There are 5 contacts along the edges of the phone, 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

They are quite fragile and MAY be the cause of your problem as they can be disturbed during the replacement procedure.

To view them, he refers to image number 5 in the original post (Post No.1)

Good luck.

I only have 4 silver things :( that may be the problem. Can I buy one silver thing? Or I need a new screen?

Edited by xavia

Guest McScruff

I forgot to say thanks for this thread. I got mine off ebay a few months ago for a tenner. Screwdriver set for a pound from poundland. 10 mins and now with my volume button upside down i know i did it

Guest mamboboy

The touchscreen on my blade has been playing up for ages. It got worse today, so I took the plunge and completely disassembled it, and put it back together, based on these instructions.

Although hard to see in these pictures, there are 5 little foam oval widgets, 2 down one side of the board, and three down the other, each covered with a silvery conductor. The ones on the side with 3 make contact with a lead with bare patches adjacent to these widgets. If you look carefully at Picture 5 in the first posting, you can see the lead on the side with three, running down the edge - one contact is near the mid-height of the battery housing, and the other two are roughly at each end of the battery housing.

At least one of these was not located properly. I reseated them all carefully with tweezers, making sure they contacted the wire properly, and also for good measure disconnected and reconnected the connector shown in Picture 3 in the first posting. I then reassembled everything, and - touch wood - the touchscreen has been working much more reliably since.

Could somebody do me a huge favour and circle where these contacts are in one of the above photos so I can check them on my phone? The OP of this threads photos have vanished and I'm struggling to find them.

I Installed a new digitizer yesterday and it was working perfectly. Reopened the phone today to clean the screen a bit, put it back together and the screen (touch) no longer works. Gutted as it's the OLED model as well

Edited by mamboboy

Guest WAWA72

mamboboy,

you killed the connector again.

buy a new one

clean all first, and then build in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tommerow i make some Photos with my dust protector for ZTE Blade

Edited by WAWA72

Guest mamboboy

I'm hoping that's what I've done. I messaged the eBay seller about the problem and he sent a new one out today free of charge. I have a really bad feeling I did something to do the main board reopening the case up though sad.gif

eBay item

270833033548 by the way. Top seller :)

Edited by mamboboy

Guest WAWA72

screws out

Buddy open

the flap open

digitizer open

new digitizer build in

flap close

its very easy, i do it so many times

next time, i make a video from this, includet my dust protections

Guest Sluysen

Yesterday I fell with my bicycle (stupid I know :P) and my screen is busted.

The touch and everything works, but the screen is 90% black...

I found a replacement, cheap, on dealextreme. But I was wondering if there was a guide or something about replacing it, hence I don't wanna mess it up more :P

Guest WAWA72

yes dealextreme has, but it will never come.

i buyed 2 pairs, after waiting more then 10 days, the displays was not at dealxtreme arrived. i cancelled my order

Edited by WAWA72

Guest Sluysen

You know dealextreme takes about 2-3 weeks right??

I have friends who ordered stuff and always received it after 2 or more weeks.

I'm just wondering if it's a tricky job to replace a screen, and if there's a guide around somewhere. Google only gives me guides for digitizer

Guest WAWA72

I orderd and their stands 10 days (!!!!) waiting for supplier

I thinks that is nor normally. I canceeld, and buy one from ebay (New) 35 Euro and waiting 3 weeks. But it works.

Next display i have, i make a How to video

Guest Sluysen

Could you just give a bit of info on how to replace it?

I suppose it's just a matter of switching the 2, but I don't know how to unattach those ribbon connectors. And hence they look so brittle I don't wanna end up breaking it.

I saw there were 2 on the screen? Total of 5 in the phone, do they all need to be disconnected?