Why wont wifi work on train?

Guest shedsounds

Guest shedsounds

Been a long time reader of this forum as I learnt all about the San Fran. Got one and flashed to JJ9, loving it. So thanks for all help you unwittingly gave me.

Wifi works well at home, work etc but in more public places fails. Was on East Coast and east Midlands trains yesterday both of who give free wifi. It connected ok but when tried to launch google, myplayer or market (for example) it said no signal present. Although the wifi signal wa showing an with good strength.

Any thoughts?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Been a long time reader of this forum as I learnt all about the San Fran. Got one and flashed to JJ9, loving it. So thanks for all help you unwittingly gave me.

Wifi works well at home, work etc but in more public places fails. Was on East Coast and east Midlands trains yesterday both of who give free wifi. It connected ok but when tried to launch google, myplayer or market (for example) it said no signal present. Although the wifi signal wa showing an with good strength.

Any thoughts?

Usually, you have to launch the browser, which redirects you to a sign-on page.It should work after that.

Guest JimJam707
Usually, you have to launch the browser, which redirects you to a sign-on page.It should work after that.

This. Another place this happens is with McDonalds or BTOpenZone.

Guest LordKickapoo

Launch browser and after that try to go some site like modaco or some else. At least my schoold just launching the browser isnt enough i have to try go some site before the sing-on page comes.

Or it just could be that even though signal is good that trains internet connection sucks ass... at least it does in Finnish trains :D

Edited by LordKickapoo

Guest insurgente

might not be the most technical of answers but.... wifi on East Coast trains is pretty shocking (I'm from west yorkshire and live in london)

this was sort of acceptable when it was free... but I wouldn't pay for it

Guest mrg9999
might not be the most technical of answers but.... wifi on East Coast trains is pretty shocking (I'm from west yorkshire and live in london)

this was sort of acceptable when it was free... but I wouldn't pay for it

It's still free, along with the drinks.

Guest Christo0908

East coast wifi unfortunately is no longer free :D

I found this out a couple of weeks ago you get 15 minutes free then it's £5 an hour thereafter

Guest ronc2000
East coast wifi unfortunately is no longer free :D

I found this out a couple of weeks ago you get 15 minutes free then it's £5 an hour thereafter

I suppose you just have to log off and then log on every 15 minutes?

Guest insurgente
It's still free, along with the drinks.

drinks are free?! :D or are you talking about first class? i'm strictly no class

i think to log on every 15 minutes you'd have to create a new account every 15 minutes

Guest Arr Too

Maybe some of these use a proxy (which is usually setup automatically by the browser on 'proper' computers). To use a proxy on the Blade you need to be running 2.2+ and something like the excellent TransProxy. But you'll probably also need to manually find out the proxy details, by finding and examining the proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) being offered by the wifi network, since Transproxy doesn't do the auto bit.

Guest StevenHarperUK
East coast wifi unfortunately is no longer free ;)

Actually if you change your MAC Address - see FAQ - you can have another 15 minutes free :D

Or if you sit near me you will find a constantly open 3G - wifi hotspot - I work for Orange so I don't get the bills B)

Guest Matty-p
Actually if you change your MAC Address - see FAQ - you can have another 15 minutes free :D

Or if you sit near me you will find a constantly open 3G - wifi hotspot - I work for Orange so I don't get the bills B)

great idea im all for but i wouldn't want to be the one answering the door to the cops if someone does something dodgy on it .