The lockups thread

Guest ritdaw

I've just sent mine back for replacement. Does everyone have a lock-up when charging? If this is happening with all LG 2X i'm going to have to get a refund

There is a very long discussion on xdadevelopers regarding auto shut down while charging (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997705). It seems a big problem for many people. Not sure if software or hardware fault. Some people report ok when charging through USB port, others don't. No solution as yet, unless anybody here has seen similar problems and resolved them.

Guest Dwayne01

Im not sure if this will help... but I was suffering with lock ups very frequently until I installed setcpu on my phone and changed the lowest value to around 400 now it seems they are few and far between.

Guest djmcnz

I added this to the XDA thread as well, seem very odd and maybe related...

In short - the system has just run out of memory and is unable to resolve it...

----------------

Well, I just got another frozen phone when I got up in the morning but it was not off... after much playing around with adb, which kept timing out, I got the following log:

http://pastebin.com/wrhVFzeF

Hopefully it helps somewhere along the line but I suspect this is the major cause, it's repeated throughout the log:

I/ActivityManager( 1114): Low Memory: No more background processes.
Which results in all sorts of problems...

I/ActivityManager( 1114): Process android.process.acore (pid 28471) has died.

I/ActivityManager( 1114): Start proc android.process.acore for restart android.process.acore: pid=28514 uid=10001 gids={3003, 1015, 4002}

I/ActivityManager( 1114): Process android.process.acore (pid 28559) has died.

I/ActivityManager( 1114): Start proc android.process.acore for restart android.process.acore: pid=28571 uid=10001 gids={3003, 1015, 4002}

Which indicates to me the system is just chasing it's own tail...

Guest djmcnz
Huh, that's not good!!!

P

No... :)

So if you can get that sorted in Fr11 I'll be happy... :)

Edit: probably unrelated but this amuses me:

E/ActivityThread(28518): Failed to find provider info for com.motorola.android.providers.settings

A Moto ghost in the machine?

Edited by djmcnz

Guest wubbla
E/ActivityThread(28518): Failed to find provider info for com.motorola.android.providers.settings

A Moto ghost in the machine?

Hm... did you switch from a Motorola Droid device to your LGOS?

Guest jeroen.kurvers

Had lockups and reboots for the last week or so. Only seems to happens when I am connected to my wifi network at home. At work and during the night when I don't have wifi on all is fine. Using FR11 with EternityProject Kernel.

Guest PhilNelwyn
Had lockups and reboots for the last week or so. Only seems to happens when I am connected to my wifi network at home. At work and during the night when I don't have wifi on all is fine. Using FR11 with EternityProject Kernel.

I'm not sure it can help, but try and set Wi-Fi sleep policy to "Never".

[ Settings / Wireless & networks / Wi-Fi settings / *menu* Advanced / Wi-Fi sleep policy]

Guest jeroen.kurvers
I'm not sure it can help, but try and set Wi-Fi sleep policy to "Never".

[ Settings / Wireless & networks / Wi-Fi settings / *menu* Advanced / Wi-Fi sleep policy]

Thanks, but have that already. Thinking of it, might be something in JuiceDefender which overrides this setting, will have a look. Although this never caused a problem on my Desire.

Guest roakes

My phone just locked up. Went to turn the screen on to check for messages and no response, it was like it was powered down, but I held the power button and no bootup. I had to pull the battery.

Using Fr11

Guest withoutwings

Mine's done it two mornings in a row now.

If I didn't know better I'd say it's got issues with being in my pocket for a length of time...

Guest roakes

I'm afraid I've contacted the place I got it from to see about returning it for a refund, along with other peoples similar issues I'm not confident I can rely on the quality of the hardware. I have backlight bleed issues plus the touchscreen becomes unusable while charging as its way too sensitive and seems to register in places I'm not pressing (possible short?). Last straw was when it shut itself off mid-journey when I was using it for Satnav, inconvenient to say the least!

Sad to say it's left a bad taste in my mouth for LG, I'm going to give the Galaxy S2 a bash.

Guest Kouwezakkie

I have experienced a few of the lockups under Fr11 -- not under stock ROM, though? -- and I thought I had it nailed to an interaction between Gun Bros. (a game) and ADW Launcher EX. However, I changed over to GO Launcher and experienced the same issues. Now I have flashed anew with Fr12 and left Green Power out of the mix and enable WiFi and the mobile data connection (3G) strictly by hand. No lockups until now, had it running for a good 75 hours with nothing unusual happening. Battery life improves as well, obviously, under these circumstances: a projected 100% > 0% discharge would take about 130 hours. Wow.

Somewhere, of course, it's a shame my terribly smart phone got a lot dumber this way, but at least I can be called whenever people REALLY need to reach me. WhatsApp and the like don't count in emergencies (I work in a ICU department). I check up on my mail whenever I can dedicate some time to actually *do* something with it, anyway (short moments with a bit of a stretch of time between, heh).

Are there any more programs we all have (had) installed that could be related to these issues, except for JuiceDefender and Green Power? I haven't had trouble with Tasker or Spoty, for example, which could provide the switching-by-location functionality I was looking for. Network Switcher Pro didn't function correctly on my O2x -- didn't re-enable the mobile data connection reliably. Or at all, I believe.

Any thoughts?

K

EDIT: stupid typo fixed.

Edited by Kouwezakkie

Guest pidanzhouk

my experience , hot when idle will occur this problem( black screen ,have to remove battery)

i try to uninstall “system panel” apps (if software issues) , now it works at least no black screen today

edit: oh, it is black screen again ,during charging。 i am on fr12 ,0405 baseband

and now i will try to wipe all data to test

Edited by pidanzhouk

Guest withoutwings

I had another freeze today, while plugged in to the charger. But luckily after some effort I managed to wake the phone up for long enough to turn on USB Debugging and view 'top' via ADB:

User 0%, System 50%, IOW 0%, IRQ 0%

User 3 + Nice 0 + Sys 310 + Idle 297 + IOW 0 + IRQ 0 + SIRQ 0 = 610

PID CPU% S  #THR	 VSS	 RSS PCY UID	  Name

249  50% R	 1	  0K	  0K unk root	 cpufreq-dvfsd

1629   0% R	 1	904K	424K  fg root	 top

21077   0% S	 7 251328K  19544K  bg app_63   com.lge.email

1111   0% S	69 426792K  53116K  fg system   system_server

961   0% S	14 241444K  20772K  bg app_47   com.google.process.gapps

9   0% R	 1	  0K	  0K  fg root	 events/0

11   0% S	 1	  0K	  0K  fg root	 khelper

{snip...}

This had been observed by someone a while back in the corresponding XDA thread too...

So for those wondering, this looks very much like a software bug in the kernel to me for the "black screen, need battery pull" situations. Whether LG or anyone with decent kernel knowledge can fix this is another question...

Guest withoutwings

Could even be NVidia's fault, as the cpufreq-dvfsd driver was written by them:

http://git.mansr.com/?p=linux-tegra;a=comm...4b29a2def8de3b5

[ARM/tegra] add cpufreq driver

tegra cpufreq uses the dynamic voltage and frequency scaling code

in the tegra RM to update the CPU and bus clocks on-the-fly, and

to dynamically add and remove CPUs from the SMP cluster. this code

runs in a background kernel task named cpufreq-dvfsd.

all of the resources needed for cpufreq are allocated during kernel

initialization; however, starting the DVFS thread is deferred until

tegra_start_dvfsd is called (triggered by a user-space action, such as

opening the RM device node, an ioctl on the RM device node, or writing

to a sysfs node), because running the DVFS daemon during kernel

init causes numerous problems

When Paul gets back I might see if he can take a look and spot anything obvious with that code that could be causing lockups, or if LG have done any more stupid modifications to it in the current kernel.

Guest Kouwezakkie

Aaaaarrrgh.... My curiosity got the better of me and I installed Network Switcher Pro and set it up to toggle my WiFi and mobile data connection (as referenced in my post above, I would like to have a slightly less dumb smartphone, hahaha!). Whether all by its self or in conjunction with the Alarm Master alarm I'd set for 0730, a few minutes after eight this morning I switched on my phone and was greeted by the booting animation.

Sigh. Back to the old drawing board, I guess. (To top it all off, a problem I knew of crept up again: somehow, NSP seems unable to get the mobile data connection up and running again. Cr*p. Can I say cr*p in here? LOL!)

Guest d3rb3rt

i just repeatedly (5 times) provoked rebooting by loosing 3G network while the phone's screen is off.

i don't have 3G in my office's toilet, sometimes a very weak 2G signal.

- if i walk into the toilet with screen on, it losses network or switches to the 2g network, but it doesn't reboot.

- if the screen is off, it reboots ..

- if i switch the screen off in while there is no network, it reboots.

setup is FR12 without any of the four suspicious apps.

is there anything i could log to make it easier to find out why this happens?

Edited by d3rb3rt

Guest d3rb3rt

Update:

in this thread you'll find at the end a statement by Erik Anderson, who supposedly is LG's Nordic director. if it's true, the current software-update being rolled out includes the solution for the reboots (of course this won't help users with MCR immediately):

------

Hi John,

LG is aware that some consumers who bought the Optimus 2X have experienced the phone randomly turns itself off. Scandinavia is one of the first markets that sold Optimus 2X and we have delivered a large number of units to consumers. The number of returns and calls to service has been within the margin of error phones, so the problem affects only a limited number of consumers. But LG regret the inconvenience that they have experienced.

We have discovered the root of the problem and has developed a Software update that will solve it. The update is rolled out everywhere right now, and is already available to consumers in the Nordic region via FOTA. LG is working hard to offer quality products and to ensure that users have a good experience with their smartphones. We ask once again apologize to the users who experienced problems with their phone.

-----

(as the thread itself is in danish, but the interesting statement is in swedish, it only becomes readable to non-vikings once you force google translate to translate from swedish instead danish)

Edited by d3rb3rt

Guest djmcnz
Update:

in this thread you'll find at the end a statement by Erik Anderson, who supposedly is LG's Nordic director. if it's true, the current software-update being rolled out includes the solution for the reboots (of course this won't help users with MCR immediately):

------

Hi John,

LG is aware that some consumers who bought the Optimus 2X have experienced the phone randomly turns itself off. Scandinavia is one of the first markets that sold Optimus 2X and we have delivered a large number of units to consumers. The number of returns and calls to service has been within the margin of error phones, so the problem affects only a limited number of consumers. But LG regret the inconvenience that they have experienced.

We have discovered the root of the problem and has developed a Software update that will solve it. The update is rolled out everywhere right now, and is already available to consumers in the Nordic region via FOTA. LG is working hard to offer quality products and to ensure that users have a good experience with their smartphones. We ask once again apologize to the users who experienced problems with their phone.

-----

(as the thread itself is in danish, but the interesting statement is in swedish, it only becomes readable to non-vikings once you force google translate to translate from swedish instead danish)

I just wish I had cool horns on my helmet so I could read the source! Go Vikings! :)