LCD replacement and Internal SD upgrade

Guest gypsydigi

Guest gypsydigi

This is my second LCD replacement so i thought i would do a few things while I had the phone apart.

post-742151-1302057744_thumb.jpg

as you can see my LCD is bleeding because i fell asleep on it one night...

Now before i continue i just want to let you guys know i am a complete noob when it comes to phones and android. My phone previous to this was a sony x10 (and before that an iphone). It was my first introduction to the droid life. I didn't have the phone too long before i got rid of it for a beta testing dell streak (which i purchased about a year ago before it hit the market in both north america and europe). I have a bit tech savy and know a bit about linux. More of a linux hobbiest then thoes hardcore guys who compile kernel.

Taking the streak apart may be alittle intimidating at first, especially if you have never taken a phone apart.

I ordered my screen on ebay. It was just under $100 shipped to my door.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=300509628681

post-742151-1302057922_thumb.jpg

I figured while i have the phone apart i might as well replace the internal memory card to a 4GB class 10. After a lot of reading i thought this was the best way to go since i didn't have to edit a boot.img file everytime i decided to change my rom.

I orded my microsd card on ebay as well. I didn't really shop around for the best price...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=190502482988

post-742151-1302058249_thumb.jpg

Now that i purchased thoes... Here comes the work...

Taking the phone apart:

First thing you need is one of thoes plastic pry tools used for taking apart phones. I was lucky that it came with my screen replacement. As well as a torx screw driver.

1. Pry the top gloss black ear piece above your LCD screen. Start with the very top where the ear piece meets the grey casing. Once you get the pry tool between them slowly slide the tool side to side loosening the ear piece. It might seem a bit tight but thats because its being held on with double sided tape. This piece just pops off the screen.

post-742151-1302058368_thumb.jpg

2. Pry the bottom captive touch piece similar to the top. BECAREFUL when prying this one. There is a ribbon cable attached to the main board in the phone. All you want to do is loosen it from phone while keeping the ribbon cable attached, so you have access to the screws behind it.

3. Remove all 5 screws behind both the top and bottom pieces.

4. Remove the back cover, battery, simcard and microsd card.

5. Pry the back of the phone starting between the LCD screen and the case making sure that you are on the PDMI connector side.

TIP: keep the PDMI connector pointed towards up to avoid having the volume, power and camera buttons fall out.

post-742151-1302058741_thumb.jpg

6. Now you'll have access to the internal microSD. You'll need to pull away the foam tape so you can pull the SD card out. Now insert your newly purchased 4GB class10 card. You'll also notice that there is black plastic piece at the bottom that has a cutout for the speaker. You can pry this off to now.

post-742151-1302059132_thumb.jpg

7. Beside the internal SD card slot towards the side with the PDMI connector, you'll notice a piece of foam tape with a ribbon cable under it. remove the foam then remove the ribbon cable. Also remove the larger ribbon cable that runs down that side of the phone. Disconnect the camera.

--== Here is where you would continue to remove the LCD by prying it out from the casing. Starting on top of the case where it meets the LCD and prying around. it should just pop off with ease. I decided to do a quick reassembly to see if my SD card would work instead of having to deal with me handling my new screen. ==--

8. Pry LCD off from casing while gently pulling the ribbon cables out from they slots on the casing. Now you'll be left with the screen and motherboard.

post-742151-1302059473_thumb.jpg

9. Step 8 in reverse.

post-742151-1302059596_thumb.jpg

Guest gypsydigi

10. Attach ribbon cables

post-742151-1302059810_thumb.jpg

11. Slide casing back onto LCD/Motherboard portion with the volume, power and camera buttons facing down.

Everything seems to just snap back together. Don't forget to put the screws in before you put the glossy black top and bottom pieces in.

12. I entered my steak into clockwork recovery and selected DJ_Steve's 1.90 build from my external microsd card. It flashed without a hitch...

Upon first reboot I had noticed that there was some text on the screen. The System was repairing itself after it detected the new microsd card. I wish i had replaced the screen that this point so take some good photos of what was going on. But i just let it do its thing and format away...

post-742151-1302060134_thumb.jpg

post-742151-1302060308_thumb.jpg

13. Let the streak boot. Took about 6 minutes for it to fully boot the first time.

post-742151-1302059849_thumb.jpg

I ran quadrant test and this is my result:

post-742151-1302060399_thumb.png

Hope that helps guys! I didn't do an exact copy of my internal microsd because i wanted to see what it was like if you wanted to start of scratch.

QUICK UPDATE:

Phone seems rock solid... The fresh install might of helped. There always seems to be little hiccups when trying to navigate though the settings menu or trying unlock and there is a slight lag before the desktop. I can't say if its forsure the class10 memory, but the phone seems to be smoother if thats even possible...

Edited by gypsydigi

Guest ramtix

Hi Gypsydigi,

So you don't have to do anything on the new SD card, just pop it in for replacement and that's it?

I read somewhere here on the forum that you need copy and partition the new sd card to make it work???

Guest gypsydigi
Hi Gypsydigi,

So you don't have to do anything on the new SD card, just pop it in for replacement and that's it?

I read somewhere here on the forum that you need copy and partition the new sd card to make it work???

I literally just popped it in.. did an install zip from sd on clockwork (with DJ_steves 1.90).. and it repaired it on first reboot.

then streakdroid booted up.. I shut down the phone.. and did a factory reset from the dell recovery window just to be sure (not even sure if that was needed).

Booted again to a fresh install.

Thats it!

You would need to copy everything and do all that partition garbage if you planned on keeping any of the data on the internal sd. But really whats there to keep??? it doesn't take long to download your apps again and setup email. in about an hour i was up and running from where i left off before i took my phone apart.

Edited by gypsydigi

Guest Techneut

post-714780-1302079559_thumb.jpg

Inserting a new internal microSD card can be done much easier!

Just remove a small part of the white plastic cover, and easily slide the card up and out...

I have used a Stanley knife for cutting, and did it within five minutes.

After inserting the new 4 GB microSD card (please NOT a microSDHC card!!!) the phone reboots and automatically initializes the new card.

Now, my phone starts up much faster, and it also works a lot more fluently than before!

I am very happy with it now.

Edited by Techneut

Guest gypsydigi

Just remove a small part of the white plastic cover, and easily slide the card up and out...

After inserting the new 4 GB microSD card (please NOT a microSDHC card!!!) the phone reboots and automatically initializes the new card.

Now, my phone starts up much faster, and it also works a lot more fluently than before!

Why not a microSDHC? thats what i have in my phone....

Guest Techneut
Why not a microSDHC? thats what i have in my phone....

Because the INTERNAL card slot (which is accessible only after disassembling your phone, or through my easier method) accepts ONLY microSD cards!

Therefore, it's limited to a maximum of 4 GB; else you get an error unless you can change the internal ROM...

The normally accessible slot accepts microSDHC up to 32 GB.

Hope this answers your question.

It shows 4gb

Wow that is great news !!!

This should please many who wanted greater internal memory

32gb internal + 32gb External would be alot of space

Guest gypsydigi
Wow that is great news !!!

This should please many who wanted greater internal memory

32gb internal + 32gb External would be alot of space

I dont have a larger card to test with... When I get some extra money I plan on getting a 16gb class 10. although id rather put a class 10 on my external storage to see if it helps with hd video playback

Guest MrTheKLine

im use to takeing apart and repairing computers and laptops but should i even bother trying with the streak my screen is realy bad my cat pushed it off a worktop onto a marble floor only the glass is damage but should a noobie to phone repair try this or just send it to one of them streak repair centres?

Guest gypsydigi
Because the INTERNAL card slot (which is accessible only after disassembling your phone, or through my easier method) accepts ONLY microSD cards!

Therefore, it's limited to a maximum of 4 GB; else you get an error unless you can change the internal ROM...

The normally accessible slot accepts microSDHC up to 32 GB.

Hope this answers your question.

the card I replaced my internal one with is a sdhc. You can see that from my photos

Guest gypsydigi
im use to takeing apart and repairing computers and laptops but should i even bother trying with the streak my screen is realy bad my cat pushed it off a worktop onto a marble floor only the glass is damage but should a noobie to phone repair try this or just send it to one of them streak repair centres?

I find todays new laptops are hard to fix then the dell streak.

Guest MrTheKLine
I find todays new laptops are hard to fix then the dell streak.

Realy? well its a lot cheaper then letting dell or one of the others fix it im just afraid to screw it up becuase i love the little thing.

Guest Seacare

This worked like a champ.. you have to be careful cutting the plastic bezel but if you purchase a fine pair of wire cutters that would help. I put an 8gb hdsc card in and it booted up with streakdroid 1.1.1. Now I'm jumping to 1.9.

Really pleased with the increase in speed. Really a good upgrade.

BTW i have also ordered some of these LEDs to change the LED under the captive buttons...

I'll keep you guys updated

very interesting the colored leds B)

you can also rotate the home led/button to portrait orientaton?

thanks for the tutorial, nice job :D

Guest goodhanrry
Do u know what it was before.

I get the test 1520 on streakdroid 1.9.0 with the original sd card,that means the 8g class6 card can not help my phone speed up?

Guest Seacare
I get the test 1520 on streakdroid 1.9.0 with the original sd card,that means the 8g class6 card can not help my phone speed up?

It seems that you are right in the sense if there is no increase, it is senseless. I think the key difference is the class microsd card used. The first person who listed this used a class 10 which is considerably quicker than a class 6. I have a class 6 in now and it seems quicker but am going to pick up a class 10 today at fry's and see what the difference. with class 6 8gb sdhc card Benchmark = 1533

Edited by Seacare

Guest jonnybruce

Upgraded mine last night by cutting away at the cover inside.

I did it fairly carefully and eventually got the internal card out.

(Its a struggle releasing it as there is not much room with the cutout)

Popped my new 4gb class 10 in and just started it up.

And yes, the streak started repairing itself and booted fine (after a while)

I did a factory reset too for the fun of it!

Anyways am up and running on 1.9.0 and my quadrant has gone from around 1800

to around 2200 with the only change being the new card.

I would say I think this mod was worth it but now I notice that my headphone icon keeps coming

on intermittently on the notification bar. That is a pain as it kills all sound obviously!

Is there a switch I have bent somewhere in doing this mod?

Has anybody had this prob, and has a cure?

Guest gypsydigi
Upgraded mine last night by cutting away at the cover inside.

I did it fairly carefully and eventually got the internal card out.

(Its a struggle releasing it as there is not much room with the cutout)

Popped my new 4gb class 10 in and just started it up.

And yes, the streak started repairing itself and booted fine (after a while)

I did a factory reset too for the fun of it!

Anyways am up and running on 1.9.0 and my quadrant has gone from around 1800

to around 2200 with the only change being the new card.

I would say I think this mod was worth it but now I notice that my headphone icon keeps coming

on intermittently on the notification bar. That is a pain as it kills all sound obviously!

Is there a switch I have bent somewhere in doing this mod?

Has anybody had this prob, and has a cure?

Weird problem with the headphone jack. I am not sure.

Great to see it gave good numbers.

I'll be cutting my case also. Seems like a must do mod.

Edited by gypsydigi