I have one on preorder...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rebski
From what I've read of posts by Asus UK Staff they seem very surprised by the popularity of the Keyboard, instead expecting buyers to go for the cheaper tablet-only option (they based this on the ipad sales figures which show the base 16Gb wifi model selling far more than any of the others and assumed that consumers really only cared about price).

My guess is that means that the initital production run of the Keyboard was set far too low for current demand and they are now struggling to catch up and even worse other countries will be starting to the Transformer soon putting a further strain on supplies.

So I hope there will be some keyboard bundle stock arriving in the next week or two which might be enough to meet most pre-orders but not enough to get one to everyone who's waiting and I expect Asus to announce that the keyboard upgrade program will be extended beyond 25th April to encourage people to still order the tablet and upgrade later (which is a pretty smart move on their part).

I can understand the reasoning on the keyboard so for that to follow on in due course when available would not be an issue for me.

However I would want to have the 32GB option and that is not available at all, which is a poor decision on Asus' part. I saw a Xoom in PC Workd today, it is a beautifully made device and had 32GB for £480. They also have an Acer Iconia 32GB for £450. I can't even find a price for a 32GB Transformer. If I wanted a 10" tablet right now I would probably pay the extra £30 for the Xoom, my first impression is that it has a higher build quality and so worth the extra cost.

So why is Asus behind the door on this I wonder? If you are right, and I have no doubt you are, then it shows a lack of confidence on Asus' part.

Also the time delay gives me time now to think and compare with the competition so they have lost my first flush heat of the moment sale. My consumer psychology can't be that unusual, can it?

Guest unicron
I can understand the reasoning on the keyboard so for that to follow on in due course when available would not be an issue for me.

However I would want to have the 32GB option and that is not available at all, which is a poor decision on Asus' part. I saw a Xoom in PC Workd today, it is a beautifully made device and had 32GB for £480. They also have an Acer Iconia 32GB for £450. I can't even find a price for a 32GB Transformer. If I wanted a 10" tablet right now I would probably pay the extra £30 for the Xoom, my first impression is that it has a higher build quality and so worth the extra cost.

So why is Asus behind the door on this I wonder? If you are right, and I have no doubt you are, then it shows a lack of confidence on Asus' part.

Also the time delay gives me time now to think and compare with the competition so they have lost my first flush heat of the moment sale. My consumer psychology can't be that unusual, can it?

i too played with those two tabs today and loved them but i will wait for comet to deliver on 21st april simply cause the screen should be better with its ips panel, should? i wish amazon had not pushed me to cancel my order i really wanted the keyboard but june? come on now thats naughty

Guest Johnrg

I've finally had a play with the ASUS at the Gadget Show and loved it. Lets hope Comet don't let us down on the 21st...

I have also spoken to an nVidia rep. I was at their stand when I was playing with the tablet. The reason for all the shortages was that ASUS under estimated the demand!

firstly, they aligned what models to sell based on figures against the iPad. The most common model is the WiFi 16GB. That's why that's the only version out yet. The problem with the Keyboard is that they under estimated its demand. Their expectation was around 7 to 1. 1 Keyboard sold for every 7 tablets. However if you take a look at Amazon, the pre-orders alone will tell you that more have been ordered with the keyboard than without it! This meant that all the single tablet units they have reasdy to ship form the factory now need to be repackaged with Keyboards, of which they do not have enough of!

They've been a victim of their own success and under estimating their popularity. fingers crossed they'll manage to ramp up production and the keyboards shipped over!

Guest mo_sjo
I just ordered one from Comet with the 5OFF 5% discount. Earliest delivery date was 21st of April. I hope they don't let me down as i'm on holiday a few days later!

Comet just called and said a delay means they can't deliver until May 9th. I told them to poke it and give me a refund.