Eee Pad Transformers Owners Thread (26/04/2011) First post updated

Guest Deus_ex11

Guest Scottland

Thanks for that, good write up. I toyed with the idea of the 7" Acer A100 before I eventually put down an order for the Asus (delivery due 21st), but having just played with the A500 - I think I'll be glad I went for the Asus - for now at least. The Acer I played with felt noticeably slower than the Xoom next to it, to be fair the Xoom felt much of a premium product, the Acer felt not cheap, but not great either. The bezel was also quite wide (not tall, just wide..) compared to the pretty compact Xoom.

So, I'm hoping the Asus feels a lot more like the Xoom than the Acer when it arrives next week :)

If anyone has played with a Xoom and Transformer, would be interested to see if it's any faster/slower. Although I'm sure this can be remedied with a bit of MCR jiggery pokery :)

Guest Scottland
Speed wise they feel about the same, but then they should, they ARE basically the same inside. :)

P

Yeah, to be honest I was a little surprised in the difference I expected them to all be the same given the specs. Having said that, the consensus on Honeycomb is that it's a little beta - so with that in mind I guess it's not that surprising some manufacturers have had more success with their incarnations than others.

How does the build quality of the two compare?

Edited by Scottland

Guest Scottland
They both pretty solid, The Xoom feels 'chunkier' but the Transformer feels 'wider'. I love the textured back on the Transformer.

P

Yeah the Xoom I thought was very 'sturdy', and the Acer quite wide - similar to a Vega really.

If I'm honest, I think I prefer the 4:3 of the iPad :)

I can see myself picking up a 7" at somepoint too :)

Edited by Scottland

Guest foxmeister
I have a Iconia 100 coming. Just out of curiosity. :)

P

Normally I would too, but I don't actually like the look of the Iconia 100, so I will probably wait until I can actually play with one to see if it can replace my Galaxy Tab.

Regards,

Dave

Guest Scottland
Normally I would too, but I don't actually like the look of the Iconia 100, so I will probably wait until I can actually play with one to see if it can replace my Galaxy Tab.

Regards,

Dave

I was playing with the A500 in Currys, design is the same for the A100 aside from a different back panel. Might be worth a look if you want to see what the design was like.

Guest GMScribe

I prefer the ratio of the transformer, video playback looks a lot crisper than the iPad and I can view manga fullscreen without having to crop some of the bottom and top which I always found quite annoying on the iPad, the transformer is distinctly lighter though of course I understand that the iPad2 is lighter still.

Thanks for the advice on wifi M@rtin will try that tonight as I wonder where the over the air update is =P

I'm still waiting on my Keyboard but paid Asus directly as soon as my tablet arrived so hopefully wont be too long for stock.

Regards video playback, there's a some good Motorola Xoom profiles for Handbreak, the following links to one:

http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-xoom-...guide-20110407/

As the CPU and screen res are the same this will work equally well on the transformer.

I'm also used to transcoding, I wish I didn't have to but I can live with it, one distinct advantage is with the transformer and Android 3.0 at least I don't find myself having to hard-code subs so I can comfortably use the videos for other devices. I actually think it's possible to achieve better quality than the above profile, so far I've seen the best performance from flash videos!

Guest blondejon

Its a shame that for the money they couldnt have included a slip case and a set of earphones. Other than that it is a quality piece of kit, I absolutely love it and it puts my old e-pad to shame

Guest zen123

I've been playing with the Transformer for a few days but sadly had to sell it on today. Don't get me wrong its a brilliant piece of kit & its destined for greatness, but the 10" form factor just isn't suited to me. I've been using a 7" Galaxy Tab for a while & I'm so used to the portabilty that I just couldn't get used to the bigger size.

I'm looking forward to the 8.9" Galaxy Tab see how I get on with that, but I'm 80% sure the 7" size is the one for me.

Guest Mr.Clark
They both pretty solid, The Xoom feels 'chunkier' but the Transformer feels 'wider'. I love the textured back on the Transformer.

P

Is the Transformer noticeably lighter?

I had a quick go with a Xoom today and it felt fairly hefty. No-one in the Rugby/Coventry area has a Transformer I can play with, alas.

The specs say it's lighter (when just a tablet), but it's only about 50g, so I don't know if you can even detect that when using it.

Also, is it true that you can't connect to the ad-hoc WiFi network created by a regular Android phone? The lack of 3G would be a killer if you can't make your own WiFi hotspot when you need one...

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest Markteacher
Is the Transformer noticeably lighter?

I had a quick go with a Xoom today and it felt fairly hefty. No-one in the Rugby/Coventry area has a Transformer I can play with, alas.

The specs say it's lighter (when just a tablet), but it's only about 50g, so I don't know if you can even detect that when using it.

Also, is it true that you can't connect to the ad-hoc WiFi network created by a regular Android phone? The lack of 3G would be a killer if you can't make your own WiFi hotspot when you need one...

My transformer has no problem connecting to the wifi hotspot created by my Htc Desire.

Detected it, saved the password and now connects automatically if my home network is not available.

Guest foxmeister

It depends what you mean by regular! As far as I'm aware, the standard solutions included in Android since Froyo create real access points, rather than adhoc networks. If you've downloaded an app from the market, it usually creates adhoc networks.

Regards,

Dave

Guest s.morris
Oh yeh, in case people haven't noticed there's a handy setting in the stock browser's settings where you can enable "quick controls", really useful! :)

Thanks

A realy nice feature :)

Guest Scottland

I had no problems connecting a HC tablet to my desire created Ap in Currys yesterday :)

Guest Mr.Clark
My transformer has no problem connecting to the wifi hotspot created by my Htc Desire.

Detected it, saved the password and now connects automatically if my home network is not available.

It depends what you mean by regular! As far as I'm aware, the standard solutions included in Android since Froyo create real access points, rather than adhoc networks. If you've downloaded an app from the market, it usually creates adhoc networks.

Regards,

Dave

I had no problems connecting a HC tablet to my desire created Ap in Currys yesterday :)

That's great news, thanks guys! :)

Guest dazzawright

Is anyone else having problems using the HDMI output ? I just got a cable for it but it doesn't seem to work for me, I am getting no signal to the TV. Is there a specific type of Mini HDMI i need ?

Guest lynnd
Is anyone else having problems using the HDMI output ? I just got a cable for it but it doesn't seem to work for me, I am getting no signal to the TV. Is there a specific type of Mini HDMI i need ?

I went for a standard HDMI mini cable it works but the output quality is poor

Guest RedSlug

I have a standard HDMI cable and bought a mini HDMI converter for the TF end. It works fine. :)

Well except that the top and bottom of the screen are missing from my TV, so I can't see the status bar.

Edited by RedSlug

Guest M@rtin

I got a cheap mini HDMI cable off ebay and it works great. The display is bright, clear and lag-free through my TV, even with games and videos. Yes the top and bottom are cut off slightly, but its not a big deal. Considering the cable was less than a fiver, I'm happy with it :)

What kind of battery life is everyone getting? I haven't been using mine much but still seem to be charging it every 2 days, whereas my I pad lasts probably a week or so with similar use. I tried looking at the battery activity but it says that the detailed view can't be shown...

Edited by M@rtin