New to 2X

Guest netz

i just ordered my phone earlier, should arrive on wednesday!! (super excited! :) )

im new to android, had a gt540 for 2 weeks tried upgrading to 2.1 and it totally killed my phone.

im kind of scared to root my phone again. but i dont want all the LG junk on my phone.

i tried doing some research, but still confused.

the newest rom right now is fr10?

is the vanilla better or kitchen better? is there one with lower risk to bricking the phone?

is there a step to step guild for dummies? on how to install a rom, and what i need programs or apps to install?

any advice about making the phone better would be wonderful!!! sorry i really dont know much about android and the roms and how to backup or anything.

thanks in advance!!! :)

Edited by netz

Guest gensplejs

It's the same ROM. Vanilla is just a pre built version with all the lg crap gone. So if you want a pure AOSP experience with all the LG junk gone get vanilla edition of fr10. If you want to pick and chose what LG crap has to go and what stays then sign up for the kitchen :-)

There are several guids on how to install a custom rom here and on xda developers.

But basically its this.

1. install CWM recovery (no need to root the stock rom first as pauls install script has the nessecary exploit built in)

instructions here http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...-lg-optimus-2x/

2. get the rom you want.

3. flash it.

4. be happy with your new rom (or get ORD like me... ORD=Obsessive-ROM Updating Disorder)

Also... there is no need at all to be scared about rooting the 2x.

It is almost impossible to brick the optimus 2x. Even if you flash the entier device (bootloader + recovery + system) with smily faces you can allways get back to the stock LG software by using Tegra 2's built in NVFLASH and then start over from there.

If you ever want to bail out or something is really really wrong with your device you can always get back to virgin LG software with this

http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...062-15-03-2011/

Edited by gensplejs

It's the same ROM. Vanilla is just a pre built version with all the lg crap gone. So if you want a pure AOSP experience with all the LG junk gone get vanilla edition of fr10. If you want to pick and chose what LG crap has to go and what stays then sign up for the kitchen :-)

There are several guids on how to install a custom rom here and on xda developers.

But basically its this.

1. install CWM recovery (no need to root the stock rom first as pauls install script has the nessecary exploit built in)

instructions here http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...-lg-optimus-2x/

2. get the rom you want.

3. flash it.

4. be happy with your new rom (or get ORD like me... ORD=Obsessive-ROM Updating Disorder)

Also... there is no need at all to be scared about rooting the 2x.

It is almost impossible to brick the optimus 2x. Even if you flash the entier device (bootloader + recovery + system) with smily faces you can allways get back to the stock LG software by using Tegra 2's built in NVFLASH and then start over from there.

If you ever want to bail out or something is really really wrong with your device you can always get back to virgin LG software with this

http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...062-15-03-2011/

Thank you so much for replying!! :)

so with installing CWM recovery, (first thing i should do when i get the phone??)

it says "WINDOWS - double click 'install-clockworkmod-windows.bat'"

does it work using windows7? (because flashing symbian phones works better with windowsXP)

when i plug in my phone, do i need to drag any file to the phone or sd card?

or just simply plug and click from the computer?

when im installing a rom,

how to "Restart the device in recovery mode"?

what is a nandroid backup and how to perform it?

last step says "Select the option to apply an update zip" where is that option?

and because im just getting this phone, im going to assume it is Fr3 OR EARLIER.

what is a wipe, and how to do it??

i know i have lots of questions. but im really confused. but i just have to get through this once then i should be able to get it!!!

thanks again!! :)

Guest DeejUK

Yay! My new 2X just arrived.

What's the standard procedure for battery charging these days? Do I still need to charge it overnight before using it?