12 Sep Hr9: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Online Kitchen (Android 3.2)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Johnrg

Hey Paul,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on the finer points of the Android OS but...

As I'm sure you're aware, a solution has been found to Bind a folder to the External SD Card.

cd /mnt/sdcard
mkdir fssd
mount -o bind /Removable/SD /mnt/sdcard/fssd[/codebox]

This was posted by korora

The problem with this is that when the SD Card is removed, the link breaks, and the mount command has to be re-run.

I've been looking at system logs, and it appears that there is an action called:

android:intent.action.EPAD_EXTERNAL_MEDIA_MOUNTED

There are also a few calls like onExternalStorageStateChanged and doMountVolume

Is there a way within the Custom Kernel to have the script run to mount the SD card when any of these actions take place? I've looked into Tasker but the Mount event that it uses doesn't seem to fire when the SD Card is mounted.

Cheers,

John

Guest Involver
Actually, here's the driver as a loadable module - http://cl.ly/1N1L0c103g0Q2A061a3M

Push it to /data/local, then via ADB or a terminal do 'insmod /data/local/mcs7830.ko'.

It it works, I imagine you'll see your USB interface in 'busybox ifconfig'.

P

Like said, I got the driver working but now I need to setup dhcpcd so that I get a nice ipv4 address. For this to work I need to add eth0 to the build.prop it seems, but I really don't know how and/or where to find it. Is there somebody that can show me in the right direction? Using a fixed IP address (busybox ifconfig eth0) does work so I'm allmost there...

Guest urkopi

Why free menbers we can't had Hr8 version? I only can see Hr7 version for us and Hr8 version in the online kitchen..

Regards and thanks!

PD: Sorry for my poor english!

EDIT: I'm only asking for Hr8 version for free users, if it's imposible, never mind :blink:

Edited by urkopi

Guest Watso4183

No hr8 for free members because thats the benefit of being a paid member. We get first access for our donation. That and the ability to use the kitchen for custom roms is the whole notion behind the membership cost.

Edited by Watso4183

Guest marcolino7

Hi,

i got my Transformer in US and so i have US-8.4.4.5 version on.

I would like to flash last version from Modaco, Hr7, but it is based on UK firmware.

Can I falsh without problem? Do I have to wipe device? Which steps I have to follow?

My device is rooted and I have CWR installed.

Thanks

Apologies for not release the Hr8 prebake yet, I have been super occupied with upgrading the site and didn't realise I hadn't.

I don't work on the site at the weekends, but I will post the prebake first thing Monday!

P

Guest vkelim

The HR8 (I used a made-to-order Kitchen version) works really well, and particularly for some-one like me who just purchased a China tablet, most importantly allows access to Android market!

However, unlike the China 3.1 version, this version of ASUS keyboard does not have a 'Chinese handwriting' recognition method. In particular, it is missing T9 write 4.1.18 (as can be seen in Settings - Language & Input - Configure Input Methods - Asus Keyboard - Settings - About). The HR8 version of ASUS keyboard does have XT9 and T9 stroke. I tried to use Titanium backup to backup the China 3.1 version of Asus Keyboard, and then restore that into HR8, but attempting to restore that backup resulted in an installation error.

I know there are other Chinese handwriting recognition packages (APKs) out there, but it would be nice to have the original ASUS one!

===========================================

side-notes

I had already updated my Transformer to 3.1 using an Over-The-Air update, and so needed to use the method described in an XDA forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1125714) to gain root access and install the clockwork backup/system installation modification.

None of the various 'Android Market' APKs that I tried worked with my China 3.1 Transformer. I tried two APKs from English-speaking forums (a 699 kB 'Android Market.apk' and a 1.8 MB 'com.android.vending.apk'), one would not even install, another one briefly showed a white screen before stopping.

I also tried an Android Market APK which was available on the Chinese-language software repository 'HiAPK market', the software download tool which comes with the China transformer. After managing to sign-in to this software system (and probably also signing up for ten years of service with the People's Liberation Army, my Chinese reading skills are not that good), I installed this version of Android Market which at least asked if I wanted to register for Android Market, before crashing. The reviews on the HiAPK repository suggest that lots of people couldn't get this version of Android Market to work either.

Incidentally, I have not found using a virtual private network (based in Australia) to make any difference to my ability to access Android Market.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

David

Guest AceVPD

Hi

Can anyone help? I just purchased the Chinese version of the Transformer (I'm in China for 7 months for work). I currently have build number HRI66.CN_epad-8.2.3.13-20110511. I have had the alert of the new OTA update but have not installed. The main reason I am keen to get this custom rom working s that the CN version doesn't come with the Android Market or Google accounts which limits it's usefulness a lot. It sounds like vkelim (above) got his CN transformer working so that gives me hope! I am new to all this rooting stuff so please bear with me.

I copied the files to my SD card as per the instructions. My transformer would not alert of the SD card update until I changed the name of WW_epad-user-8.2.3.9.zip to CN_epad-user-8.2.3.9.zip. It showed an icon that looked like it was updating the rom but then after a short time it changed to another, sorry I can't remember, maybe a ! and I think it said it failed.

Is there anything else I show try?

thanks

Ace

Guest vkelim

Which instructions are you following, Ace? The first post in this message thread does not mention 'WW_epad-user-8.2.3.9.zip' (which sounds like a ROM downloaded from the ASUS site, not the HR7 or HR8 custom ROM downloaded from this message thread). Overall, the exclamation '!' mark makes it sound like the Transformer rejected the ROM, which I think the Transformer should have, since the ROM is not a Chinese ROM. I think to install a non-Chinese ROM you first need to gain root access and clockwork mod (CWM), which is described in the first post of this thread. In, my case, I had to use a different method to gain root access and install the clockwork mod (CWM) because I had updated my Transformer to Honeycomb 3.1. Incidentally, a somewhat simplified version of the xda-developer instructions can be found at http://androidfc.com...on-android-3-1/ (it skips some of the initial steps, and is not as detailed).

As mentioned above, changing from a Chinese ROM to HR8 means you miss out on Chinese writing recognition (as provided by ASUS). It would be great if that feature could be restored in HR8 (or HR9)!

David

Hi

Can anyone help? I just purchased the Chinese version of the Transformer (I'm in China for 7 months for work). I currently have build number HRI66.CN_epad-8.2.3.13-20110511. I have had the alert of the new OTA update but have not installed. The main reason I am keen to get this custom rom working s that the CN version doesn't come with the Android Market or Google accounts which limits it's usefulness a lot. It sounds like vkelim (above) got his CN transformer working so that gives me hope! I am new to all this rooting stuff so please bear with me.

I copied the files to my SD card as per the instructions. My transformer would not alert of the SD card update until I changed the name of WW_epad-user-8.2.3.9.zip to CN_epad-user-8.2.3.9.zip. It showed an icon that looked like it was updating the rom but then after a short time it changed to another, sorry I can't remember, maybe a ! and I think it said it failed.

Is there anything else I show try?

thanks

Ace

Guest Mr.Clark

3.2 is out!

Also, I'd love to get that dock update, the one that doesn't change the version number of the firmware.

I need to be sure I'm on the absolute latest dock firmware to check the battery drain issue. I really don't want to have to RMA it with Asus, but I will if I must.

Guest neilstringall

Hi ihave just paid for permium so i could use the kitchen cos i needed tun.ko for cisoc anyconnect and it still wont work can you tell me why

Guest grellanl

Hr8 prebake online.

P

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it, but I'm seeing a lot of sporadic reboots and "sleep of death" issues with hr8, which I never saw with hr7 (which was problem-free for me). I won't downgrade for now though, cos I'm waiting on 3.2...