14 Apr: How to root your Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Guest Buzing Bee

Guest Buzing Bee

I have decided to release the root method found a few days ago. This is root but it has limitations as noted below so its still much WIP. But with people being able to root as well i hope to get all the bugs fixed faster :)

[DISCLAIMER]

I am in no way responsible for any damage / fire / cataclysmic disasters that flashing this may cause, i test everything as much as possible but by flashing this you understand you do so at your own risk.

[NOTES]

-- This will give you root, but not an insecure boot.img

-- There is no current way to /safely/ flash boot or recovery (i have some ideas but they are being worked on)

-- This was an asus error with an update of a specific name would be accepted unsigned

-- This will work with 99% of apps needing root but there will be some that will not work

-- As there is no method to flash a custom recovery, any changes to system may leave you with a brick. SO BE CAREFUL

[GUIDE]

1) download the following .zip - DOWNLOAD

2) copy it to the microSD card

3) reboot the device holding pwr + vol/dwn

4) slect to boot into recovery (RCK)

5) the update will flash and reboot

6) you now have root (please remove .zip from microSD card)

[CREDITS]

* Paul for testing the ideas out and making the initial update.zip

* stridger for testing and bounding ideas back and forth

[DEV NOTES]

-- You cannot see a boot/recovery partition in /dev/block/

-- If you dump the first ~40mb of /dev/block/mmcblk0 there are 3 boot type images there (identifiable with !ANDROID)

-- Theses seems to be squashed together

Guest Scott9824

I've just logged in for the first time today to see if there is any news regarding root.

Can't wait to give this a go! Thanks. :)

Edit- I can't see the zip? :)

Edited by Scott9824

Guest goldsmither
Added a link to the zip. :)

P

Hi

What am i doing wrong on this? keep getting the android robot with a triangle above his head with a exclamation mark?

Guest iamdarren

my one just kept rebooting, but after readinf this, it sounds like it has flashed the update, so we need to get a super user app to test, i thought i had done this wrong, when my fiancee has finished playing Angry birds......

Guest liyuchen

This is really cool, can you share how you discovered their update file name "EP101_SDUPDATE.zip" ?

Awesome job :)

Edited by liyuchen

Guest RedSlug
Hi

What am i doing wrong on this? keep getting the android robot with a triangle above his head with a exclamation mark?

So do I.

I'm using the updated firmware. Does this matter?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ggforce

No it can help me?? the firmware is the last, I experienced to it with the system of the microsd with the combination of keys to make departing person the recovery, but when should load, itself block immediately and from the exclamation point.. Who it perfavore can help me??? I despaired!!

Guest BigHeadDog
Hi

i had this error also. help pls.

Guest Levitron
Hi

Same here.

I also can't flash to the Modaco ROM...same error.

I'm using a 8GB Kingston card (formatted FAT32), if that means anything.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest yayau85
Same here.

I also can't flash to the Modaco ROM...same error.

I'm using a 8GB Kingston card (formatted FAT32), if that means anything.

Do you guys know if with this file I can also root my CN version of Transformer?

I get the "!" and bugdroid when I try to root it.

Please help. thx

Peace

Guest baseballfanz
Do you guys know if with this file I can also root my CN version of Transformer?

I get the "!" and bugdroid when I try to root it.

Please help. thx

Peace

If you're on the updated firmware than probably not

Guest SimonGre

Does this method still work after 3.1?

All I want is Root access, I don't need (or want) clockwork mod or modified recovery partitions or custom roms, I want to run the stock Honeycomb OS but with root access. so this does seem ideal.

Guest baseballfanz
Does this method still work after 3.1?

All I want is Root access, I don't need (or want) clockwork mod or modified recovery partitions or custom roms, I want to run the stock Honeycomb OS but with root access. so this does seem ideal.

Dont think 3.1 is rootable yet. You have to downgrade, root than flash a rooted 3.1 rom