development

Guest tux880

Guest tux880

hey everyone,

just wondering if Paul or anyone else has made progress with any custom rom for the play,

love this phone i think the OS could do with some mods tho

cheers

Guest Meister_Li
hey everyone,

just wondering if Paul or anyone else has made progress with any custom rom for the play,

love this phone i think the OS could do with some mods tho

cheers

We unfortunately don't even have Root access yet, despite the unlocked boot loader. Some people over at XDA are trying to gain root access by modifying the system image and flashing it, tho. Altho this is tried on the xperia Arc, it should work on the play as well.

Guest Laird_Attwood

The 2 main people developing the image dont even have an Arc! but one of them FrAsErTaG is expecting a Play this week which can only be good news for us Play owners!

hopefully they'll get both sorted soon and some of the bloatware can be gone.

Guest Step666

It fell through unfortunately - handset got stuck in a boot-loop.

The 2 main people developing the image dont even have an Arc!

There just don't seem to be many Arc owners out there and none of them are devs.

I don't know if the supply issues have played a part in that, whether devs have been holding off for the bootloader-unlocking site to go live or what.

I'm just hoping that SE haven't burnt too many bridges with the X10...

Guest tux880

i am really surprised Paul hasn't made anything yet, he made a few custom rom's for the pulse and they made the device 1000% better,The reason i went ad free.

Guest Sylar2010

Yeah it's weird that Paul doesn't root the Play (so Arc too), he's the only major dev to have a new SE and able to root it now that it's unlocked.

I think he's busy in work for 10 days btw.

One major thing that pushed me to buy the Arc was to know that Paul has a Play so he will root it and release some quality roms, I am willing to take a paid membership but not before he does something. Also if the SGS2 will get root before the Arc and that the price decrease quickly I will switch then...

Guest Step666

Yeah, I meant to post here earlier to say that the Arc had been successfully rooted and that it was merely a matter of time before the Play would be too.

Guest manicyaz

Ignore my previous post if you saw it. Did not see the link. Rooted my PLAY last night. Seemed fairly straightforward.

Edited by manicyaz

Guest tux880

wow its really stage how noting is happening on this site? xda on the other hand it a little more busy, you think the devs are boycotting this device? because the Sony ps3 thing?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tux880
wow its really stage how noting is happening on this site? xda on the other hand it a little more busy, you think the devs are boycotting this device? because the Sony ps3 thing?

i hear Paul has got a custom rom working.... i seen it over a XDA someone posted something from his twitter.... i cant wait

Guest Nhialor
i hear Paul has got a custom rom working.... i seen it over a XDA someone posted something from his twitter.... i cant wait

any updates?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WodgeFTW
We have Blagus in XDA trying to port CM7 for the Arc and the Play.

Which is really good, but with all the assistance SE are giving to devs, you'd think there would be a stock rom by now, but theres absolutely nothing.

All this geohot malarkey must've really annoyed the dev community.

Guest Logseman

Well, SE's "assistance" consists of barring development for the grand majority of phones (the carrier-subsidised ones) and not allowing phones where development can be made (phones with unlocked bootloaders) to be updated at all: SEUS doesn't work for those, and we only have Flashtool, which in turn requires a locked-bootloader phone to get the ROMs from.

Guest Teh H4rRy

I have my Play arriving in the post soon,

From what I have seen theres not much going on with the play, I see a root available. I want Custom ROMs :D

Guest WodgeFTW
I have my Play arriving in the post soon,

From what I have seen theres not much going on with the play, I see a root available. I want Custom ROMs :D

one of Paul's MCRs would be uber at this point in time

*hint*

Guest Teh H4rRy

Also something I've seen, for those who haven't updated to 2.3.3 theres an app out there called "gingerbreak" it roots your phone without unlocking the bootloader, something i wanted to do, but alas I updated my phone as soon as I got it... :D

Heres hoping Gingerbreak is updated. But this phone isnt seen much attention on the development side it's sad to say

Guest Step666
Heres hoping Gingerbreak is updated.

It won't be.

GingerBreak makes use of a specific exploit that has been patched in the 2.3.3 update for the Arc.

It's also been patched by Google in 2.3.4.

So it's not a matter of 'updating' GingerBreak, it will never work again.

That door is closed.

Edited by Step666

Guest Teh H4rRy

Well balls. Looks like I am unlocking my bootloader after all...

Something to clear up, I was gonna ask on XDA but I am still a noob and no rights to post in the developer forums. I brought my Play off Amazon, Sim free. Is the bootloader locked? I heard that sony were only locking the BL on simlocked contract phones.

Guest Step666

If your handset is unbranded/unlocked, it should be fine to unlock the bootloader.

Basically, follow these instructions and if it can't be done, it can't be done - you wouldn't be able to brick your handset or anything, it just wouldn't let you even try and unlock it.

One other option would be to use FlashTool to go back to a 2.3.2 ROM until a solution to root 2.3.3 without unlocking the bootloader is found, or a way of re-locking bootloaders is found.

I've got a guide for FlashTool too, though I haven't had a chance to collate a list of ftf files yet, so you'd need to find the appropriate one yourself.

Guest Teh H4rRy

Ah okay, I also noticed I have the 3.0.1.A.0.145 firmware, So I can't use the other tutorials I've seen. But I've found one tailored for my Firmware.

A little heads up to anyone else rooting their play :D

EDIT: Well it seems any discussion on the Play on Modaco is pretty dead, I've been checking out the XDA forums and theres a root method out for 2.3.3. You need to unlock your bootloader and flash the roms the guys there have put up. I flashed a rooted ROM with the 3.0.1.A.0.145 firmware worked like a treat.

Edited by Teh H4rRy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest excession3105

Bob over to XDA guys. It's finally starting. At the moment it appears that only bootloader unlocked phones can be flashed, but I am in the process of flashing a new ROM now. The devs just need time. Lets be patient and offer some support to these guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PrakashDavid

Well balls. Looks like I am unlocking my bootloader after all...

Something to clear up, I was gonna ask on XDA but I am still a noob and no rights to post in the developer forums. I brought my Play off Amazon, Sim free. Is the bootloader locked? I heard that sony were only locking the BL on simlocked contract phones.

Hi, did you buy from an amazon authorised seller or directly from amazon? Currently the Xperia Play is being sold by phones2post for £343. I'm a bit sceptical as it seems too cheap. I'm guessing you got the unlocked device. Can you pls tell me if it was a direct purchase or through an authorised seller. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Prax.

Guest Teh H4rRy

Hi, did you buy from an amazon authorised seller or directly from amazon? Currently the Xperia Play is being sold by phones2post for £343. I'm a bit sceptical as it seems too cheap. I'm guessing you got the unlocked device. Can you pls tell me if it was a direct purchase or through an authorised seller. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Prax.

I got it from Amazon, *checking and hoping the price hasn't dropped greatly* But I can't remember who it was from. I paid £460 for mine but it was a bundle with the MW600 bluetooth headphones.

It was Sim free, bootloader unlockable.