[BETA] AUDI - Automated USB Driver Installer

Guest simonta

Guest simonta

Hi folks. After spending many, many hours helping people to get their drivers installed, I've decided to try a different approach.

So here is version 0.8.1 of the AUDI, Automatic USB Driver Installer.

PLEASE READ EVEYRYTHING IN THIS POST. I WILL NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS IN POSTS WHICH ARE ANSWERED HERE. Thanks.

[uPDATE] v0.8.2. Changes the way in which AUDI checks for administrator access. Should address issues with non-English versions of Windows.

[uPDATE] v0.8.1. Fixes an issue with "path not found" errors on AMD64 PCs.

[uPDATE]. v0.8 is in the download link. It now supports XP and Windows 7 64 bit. However, there is a problem with the "what mode am I in?" indicator. It might say that you are not in recovery or ADB mode when in fact you are. If you do see an unexpected result and you want to install the drivers anyway, just go ahead and click "Next Step" and select what you want to do.]

[CAUTION] I have tested this and it doesn't do anything funky but to cover everyones' butt, I've included a system restore point feature. It doesn't do anything except monkey around with plug and play drivers but just to be safe, I recommend that folks create a restore point the first time you use it. If you use the "just do it" option, it will create a restore point anyway[/CAUTION]

Setup

Download from my Dropbox and unzip. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10375731/audi.zip

Alternative link to Megaupload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F8G4172S

Run the tool by right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator".

The first time you run it, it will ask for permission to download some files from Microsoft. You should say "Yes".

Using the tool

There are 2 things you need drivers for. Installing the Advent "stock" ROM from MyAdventVega and installing the Modaco Custom ROM from here (or any other install that says you need the "ADB" drivers). Make sure you know which one you need!

In Step 1, select what you are trying to do. Step 2 will show you what state your drivers are in and has an indicator at the end which will be red if there's a problem and green if everything is ready for you to install. I guess because you are here, it will be red :)

Click "Next". This will enable the buttons in Step 3.

Click Part A to create a "system restore point". This is a backup of Windows that will enable you to take your PC back to how it was before you ran this tool in case anything goes wrong (it won't :)). Don't skip this step unless you know what you are doing.

Click Part B. This will remove any existing drivers for the Vega to make sure we start from a clean state (for old hands, this automates what we ask people to do with USBDeview).

Click Part C.

Now select how you would like to install the drivers.

If you don't know what you're doing, just leave this first option selected and click "Do it". The tool includes the latest drivers (as of today) and will automatically install them.

Select the second option if you have your own drivers and specifically want to install them, e.g. the ADB drivers from the SDK.

The third option will search all of your disks for suitable drivers and will prompt you to install for each one it finds. Obviously, if you select one, it will install and the search will stop.

The tool might tell you that the driver is installed before Windows have finished it's work. If it says it has finished but the indicator is still red, just wait for 30 seconds or so. If the tool says the driver is installed but the indicator never turns green, please come back for help.

If you get error 10, "device cannot start" or "daemon started" when you run an installer then nothing else, reboot your Vega and your PC. To reboot a Vega, hold the power button until the menu pops up, then select "Power off" or use an app. If you can't get into your Vega, hold power for at least 6 seconds.

Please remember this is a test version. No matter what, it won't screw up Windows so please do try it.

Please also take the time to report success or failure. I will be actively developing new releases so I need the feedback. I will be especially grateful for anyone who tests on Vista and Win 7 64 bit and reports back.

Finally, if you report a problem, please provide as much detail as possible. Screen shots would be graeat.

Cheers

Simon

If you want to say "thanks", and you do not yet use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. They give me extra free space if you do :)

Edited by simonta

Guest simonta

V0.8.1

Fixes an issue with "path not found" errors on AMD64 PCs.

V0.8

Adds XP and Win7 64 bit support.

V0.2

Adds automatic download of DEVCON from Microsoft

V0.1

First release.

Edited by simonta

Guest Dave Marchant

First thing to note is that on my Win 7 x64 system, I am prompted to run audi.exe as Administrator.

Otherwise, it spotted I have the Modaco driver installed correctly. I need to try it on another X64 system to go through the install process. Will try that a little later.

Edited by Dave Marchant

Guest simonta
First thing to note is that on my Win 7 x64 system, I am prompted to run audi.exe as Administrator.

Thanks Dave, I'll amend the instructions. It does need admin rights.

Guest newbe5

simonta...

This is genius, this should be stickied 5x over. You have obviously spent a LOT of time on this and it really shows. This is an essential app for ALL of the people having issues connecting ADB on this forum...

simonta, you have performed a great service here... CAN THIS PLEASE BE STICKIED!!!!!

newbe5

EDIT:

Running W7 x64, I ran the app, it said that nothing was detected, I plugged in the Vega, it IMMEDIATELY flashed up green, and said that everything had been detected correctly. Very well written app, sensible API hooks, just... Brilliant.

Love this app, and while it isn't necessary for me as I already have everything set up, it's absolutely invaluable for the community, and for all of those people with ADB and driver issues.

Edited by newbe5

Guest phil8715
Great tool. Thanks. Once the XP version is sorted, there will a lot less people getting confused with drivers.

Can't wait to try this out when my replacement Vega arrives later this week.

Guest Paris2011
Hi folks. After spending many, many hours helping people to get their drivers installed, I've decided to try a different approach.

So here is version 0.2 of the AUDI, automatic USB driver installer. For now, this is for Vista and Windows 7 only. I am working on XP which has some significant challenges to overcome to fully automate things.

[CAUTION] I have tested this on Windows 7 32 bit only. It should work just fine on Vista and Win 7 64 bit but, to cover everyones' butt, I've included a system restore point feature. It doesn't do anything except monkey around with plug and play drivers but just to be safe, I recommend that folks create a restore point the first time you use it [/CAUTION]

Setup

The first time you run it, it will ask for permission to download some files from Microsoft. You should say "Yes".

Using the tool

There are 2 things you need drivers for. Installing the Advent "stock" ROM from MyAdventVega and installing the Modaco Custom ROM from here (or any other install that says you need the "ADB" drivers). Make sure you know which one you need!

In Step 1, select what you are trying to do. Step 2 will show you what state your drivers are in and has an indicator at the end which will be red if there's a problem and green if everything is ready for you to install. I guess because you are here, it will be red :)

Click Part A to create a "system restore point". This is a backup of Windows that will enable you to take your PC back to how it was before you ran this tool in case anything goes wrong (it won't :)). Don't skip this step unless you know what you are doing.

Click Part B. This will remove any existing drivers for the Vega to make sure we start from a clean state (for old hands, this automates what we ask people to do with USBDeview).

Click Part C.

If you don't know what you're doing, just leave this first option selected and click "Do it". The tool includes the latest drivers (as of today) and will automatically install them.

Select the second option if you have your own drivers and specifically want to install them, e.g. the ADB drivers from the SDK.

The third option will search all of your disks for suitable drivers and will prompt you to install for each one it finds. Obviously, if you select one, it will install and the search will stop.

The tool might tell you that the driver is installed before Windows have finished it's work. If it says it has finished but the indicator is still red, just wait for 30 seconds or so. If the tool says the driver is installed but the indicator never turns green, please come back for help.

Please remember this is a test version. No matter what, it won't screw up Windows so please do try it.

Please also take the time to report success or failure. I will be actively developing new release so I need the feedback. I will be especially grateful for anyone who tests on Vista and Win 7 64 bit and reports back.

Finally, if you report a problem, please provide as much detail as possible. Screen shots would be graeat.

Cheers

Simon

If you want to say "thanks", and you do not yet use Dropbox (it's enormously useful, especially with mobile devices), please consider signing up for it using my reference. They give me extra free space if you do :)

BUMP!!

Guest simonta

Woohoo. Figured out how to automate XP but it's fugly. Will take a few days to get the code right and will need testing by experienced folks. I should be able to post a version for all Windows versions XP and later on Thursday.

Will this work on Win 7x32? I'm not near my netbook to try it with. I've not had a single issue with drivers on xp but cannot get them sorted on 7 so want to try this.

Edited by pdej

Guest simonta
Will this work on Win 7x32? I'm not near my netbook to try it with. I've not had a single issue with drivers on xp but cannot get them sorted on 7 so want to try this.

See the first post - yes :)

See the first post - yes :)

Sorry! I had read the whole thread and had seen 64bit mentioned several times but forgot i had read 32 at the top. Thanks again, will try this tomorrow.

Guest simonta
Sorry! I had read the whole thread and had seen 64bit mentioned several times but forgot i had read 32 at the top. Thanks again, will try this tomorrow.

Cool, please post back. Need as much feedback as possible. I would like to repost a final version in time for the weekend noob flood.

Guest tony barnes

Thanks for doing this - will be a great help to folk who've stumbled with the driver bit. I know I did, and I'm pretty techy day to day, so for a complete newbie, I can see how it would become a nightmare!

Will no doubt use this if I need to install on another PC, just to safe swearing episodes!!!

Guest Fusion1296

So here is version 0.2 of the AUDI, automatic USB driver installer. For now, this is for Vista and Windows 7 only. I am working on XP which has some significant challenges to overcome to fully automate things.

[CAUTION] I have tested this on Windows 7 32 bit only. It should work just fine on Vista and Win 7 64 bit but, to cover everyones' butt, I've included a system restore point feature. It doesn't do anything except monkey around with plug and play drivers but just to be safe, I recommend that folks create a restore point the first time you use it [/CAUTION]

Setup

Using the tool

Click Part A to create a "system restore point". This is a backup of Windows that will enable you to take your PC back to how it was before you ran this tool in case anything goes wrong (it won't :(). Don't skip this step unless you know what you are doing.

Click Part C.

Please also take the time to report success or failure. I will be actively developing new release so I need the feedback. I will be especially grateful for anyone who tests on Vista and Win 7 64 bit and reports back.

Cheers

Simon

thanks for doing this program im sure its going to help loads of people

i have a strange problem, i installed the drivers about 4 weeks ago and all was fine i installed the MCR and framework stuff , then all of a sudden it stopped working when i do ADB devices there are no devices , have tried on a friends computer and it works fine , when running your program and selecting install Modaco rom it comes up green all ok but i still have no devices when doing ADB devices , can you help me ?

Thanks Andy

Guest simonta

Hi Andy

i have a strange problem, i installed the drivers about 4 weeks ago and all was fine i installed the MCR and framework stuff , then all of a sudden it stopped working when i do ADB devices there are no devices , have tried on a friends computer and it works fine , when running your program and selecting install Modaco rom it comes up green all ok but i still have no devices when doing ADB devices , can you help me ?

I've seen this myself and never figured it out. ADB is quite fragile in my experience and if you google, you'll see lots of folk with the same problem.

I'm assuming from your post that you are skilled. Apologies if not and come back for simpler help :)

Some things to check:

1. If you are firewalled, check that ADB (or ADB-WINDOWS if that's what you're using) is added as an exception

2. If on Vista/7, right click ADB.EXE and select Properties->Compatibility. Select "Run this program as administrator"

3. Try this

adb kill-server

adb kill-server

adb start-server

What does it say at this point?

Then add-devices

4. Uninstall the driver and use my tool to reinstall by manually browsing to the drivers you downloaded when it all worked.

The latest Android SDK has updated ADB and the drivers. Come to think of it, I haven't had an ADB problem since installing it so maybe it's a fixed problem?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by simonta

Guest leshii

Looks like a great app don't know if this is specific to my setup (win 7 64 in parallels vm on a mac) but the 64 bit stuff does not like me.

Have you included the ia64 drivers rather than the x64 drivers?

The message I get is that the package is valid but not the correct arch if I try to run the 32bit package (manually) it says I should run the 64bit package.

resolved my issue by running adb from mac. :)

anyway great app even if it didn't work for me.

tata

DS

Guest simonta
Looks like a great app don't know if this is specific to my setup (win 7 64 in parallels vm on a mac) but the 64 bit stuff does not like me.

Have you included the ia64 drivers rather than the x64 drivers?

The message I get is that the package is valid but not the correct arch if I try to run the 32bit package (manually) it says I should run the 64bit package.

resolved my issue by running adb from mac. :)

anyway great app even if it didn't work for me.

tata

DS

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Curious!

ADB drivers don't distinguish between ia64, amd64 or x64. The INF (the installer instruction file) only contains 2 directives for architecture:

[Google.NTx86]

;NVIDIA Tegra

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

and

[Google.NTamd64]

;NVIDIA Tegra

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

If you follow the chain in the INF, NTx86 installs the files from the "i386" folder and NTamd64 from the "amd64" folder. I have included both. I'm guessing that this is probably a Parallels problem, something in the way it emulates the HAL and CPU.

Could you do me a favour please? In your VM, right click the ADB device (it doesn't matter that the drivers are not right) and select Properties->Details and let me know the hardware IDs? I really want to get this tool 100% and if it means excluding Parallels, then so be it.

Thanks again

Simon

Guest Fusion1296
Hi Andy

I've seen this myself and never figured it out. ADB is quite fragile in my experience and if you google, you'll see lots of folk with the same problem.

I'm assuming from your post that you are skilled. Apologies if not and come back for simpler help :)

Some things to check:

1. If you are firewalled, check that ADB (or ADB-WINDOWS if that's what you're using) is added as an exception

2. If on Vista/7, right click ADB.EXE and select Properties->Compatibility. Select "Run this program as administrator"

3. Try this

adb kill-server

adb kill-server

adb start-server

What does it say at this point?

Then add-devices

4. Uninstall the driver and use my tool to reinstall by manually browsing to the drivers you downloaded when it all worked.

The latest Android SDK has updated ADB and the drivers. Come to think of it, I haven't had an ADB problem since installing it so maybe it's a fixed problem?

Cheers

Simon

Hi , thanks for your quick reply , i have tried , 1 , 2 and 4 , i will try 3 and also the new SDK stuff at the weekend and report back .

Thanks Andy

Guest simonta

A plea please to help me to get this tool as good as it can be.

Several people have reported problems with the driver on 64 bit. My tool is installing the driver correctly, actually, it's correctly telling Windows to install it. I'm going to spend some time checking the driver itself.

To assist, would some kind soul who knows that they're doing uninstall ADB, plug the Vega back in, right click the device which Windows automatically installs and let me know the following:

1. What is the exact name of the device installed?

2. Right click the device and select properties->details then note the hardware IDs.

3. Reinstall the driver then repeat step 2 and also include device class GUID, INF section and matching device ID

You can copy/paste all of these values.

Many thanks

Simon