[GEN1][GEN2]Partition Layout Tool, windows only

Guest ricardopvz

Go to the terminal and type "cat /proc/mtd" (without quotes)

take the first 4 numbers or letters, convert them from hex to decimal, divide by 16 and you have the total space in a partition.

Thank you very much once again Ricardo for all your efforts... It worked wonderfully! Not sure why Titanium is saying a different amount but I shall ignore it.

If there is a mod around then this thread should really be Stickied as this is a very useful tool indeed.

Guest Grain
ricardopvz, are you willing to share the sources for your program?

I could then write it in Java in order to use it on any OS.

Make it a PHP or something webapp...

Guest Schwinni
This can only go wrong. Horribly wrong

Do you mean this tool as a Java program?

Make it a PHP or something webapp...

I'd prefer a J2EE web app. :)

Guest bagge

Awesome, thanks for your efforts.

Has anyone with GEN1 tried this? What are the alternative tools for modifying the partitions without converting to GEN2 that includes custom partition sizes (I know kallt_kaffe had one for 128mb sys? back with JJ for flashing, but I rather have a lil extra to guarantee most, if not all, roms will fit, 136mb I read somewhere is a good choice)? As some others, I will NOT upgrade to GEN2 until its reversible GEN1 is more or less completely deserted.

Guest Decadence

Thanks a lot for this! It definitely works. I used it to repartition my my gen 1-to-gen 2 blade. I found that none of the predone layouts out there had a large enough system partition for metamorph to function apart from the original layout but with that one the system partition was far too large leaving hardly any space for apps on /data so I created my own partition and now metamorph works AND I have more than enough space for apps. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest CrystalLettuce

God I'm so tired of getting stuff with minimal instructions. Why does it ask me to "Browse for Folder" when I click create files? What folder do I need to pick? The phone or somewhere to store the files?

Guest CrystalLettuce

At what point should I start following that guide? It's about going from Gen 1 to Gen 2 not just repartitioning. Also, download_nochecksGen2.exe doesn't work it returns an error message.

I am so sick of all this s***...

Guest targetbsp
God I'm so tired of getting stuff with minimal instructions. Why does it ask me to "Browse for Folder" when I click create files? What folder do I need to pick? The phone or somewhere to store the files?

It's like an internet download. It doesn't matter where you save it to as long as *you* know where you saved them to so you can copy them to the appropriate place according to your phone gen.

Guest CrystalLettuce

right, so I saved it to a rnadom folder, and shoved it in the files folder. download_nochecksGen2.exe doesn't work, and I don't get from where exactly I'm meant to follow that guide.

Guest targetbsp
At what point should I start following that guide? It's about going from Gen 1 to Gen 2 not just repartitioning. Also, download_nochecksGen2.exe doesn't work it returns an error message.

I am so sick of all this s***...

Relax. If you haven't got the patience to do all this stuff right now you should take a break and/or maybe do it in stages. If you're stressed over it, things can only go wrong! I was reading this forum for months before I dared even put my first rom on. :D

Incidentally, why are you even doing this if you're going gen2? The standard gen 2 converter has a decent partition layout. You certainly don't need to be doing this unless you especially want to. And it sounds like you don't. :o

[edit]

I see what you're doing in another thread. The reason you're having troubles is FLB was never designed for gen 2. The only designed for gen 2 roms are CM7 and Swedish Spring. FLB was later made to work on Gen2 by another party. But you can't really blame Flibblesan for not having the 'foresight' for his rom to not work straight off on a gen it was never designed to. :D

You still shouldn't need to repartition though, just use the patch KonstaT linked.

Edited by targetbsp

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm about to buy a 8 gb sd card and was looking for a quide or something to help me get it working.

I've read about fat32 , ext2 only etc. ... sd-ext partition , ext partition .

All these things I don't see 'specific' in the tool , or even on the guide (from the link on first post) .

I find it a bit scary that I didn't found a decent guide or something on the internet with google.

And what about the sizes for the 8 gb card ??? something like "the best partition layout" ???

I do want a bigger sd card , but after searching 1 hour , I realy think I need help from you guys :o

this thread is all about partitioning the internal memory and not the sd card...

NOW I'm realy confuded :lol:

If the internal memory is not a part of the sd card , and my phone shows "total mermory" = 0.89 GB ... where is the other 1 gb from the sd-card that is delivered with the phone ?

EDIT : I did partition the card to 2gb ext , 0 gb swap with clockworkmod , because I thought "we'll see what happens" ... and guess what ...

I've lost all sd-card data and installation files ... so had to reinstall rom , but I have now 1,89 GB data space on the card. tongue.gif

I feel lucky that I only had to reinstall rom , and there was nothing on the card that I miss (except settings) cool.gif

Edited by Kuoi

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest vNa5h

This tool is helpful

Why isnt this thread stickied and the tool updated for minor bugs mentioned in the posts in previous pages

Guest shmizan

because windows flashing is risky and TPT is much safer. when you have an app like TPT helper, this is completely useless.