Guest Ralph Martin

Guest drobson67

Supplier / Model - Orange San Francisco

Original ROM - CM 7.0.0 gen1

ROM Used after going to GEN2 - CM7 N64 TPT

Network Provider / Country - Giffgaff which uses O2 network UK

HSUPA - No, only managed an upload speed test of 368kbps

850MHz - not tested

After upgrade device is running faster, a more responsive touch screen and with no noticable increase in signal strength but one random reboot while doing a speed test.

Guest sane?

If the Blade can be made to support 850Mhz AND 900Mhz it would be hellishly useful in Australia.

In the cities you tend to avoid Helstra because of their poor customer service. Therefore you want 900Mhz for the other providers. However if you have occasion to go into the country then a backup Telstra SIM that can access their 850Mhz "NextG" network is the only option and extremely useful.

The only way I can see to test is for someone in Oz with a Blade to drive out into the wilds and give a Telstra SIM a go. You can't check in town since Telstra also use 2100Mhz.

And while we're at it, a GEN2 ROM for the ZTE v9 (which seems to be based on the Blade) would be great. They have been selling these cheap and a hack that would enable Telstra compatibility would go down well.

Guest Oldbarzo

Supplier/Model Orange San Francisco

Original Rom: B10 (TFT)

Rom used after going to Gen 2: CM7 Nightly 68

Network Provider/Country: Orange (UK)

HSUPA: Yes (Ookla 1626kps) This was the better of 2 Servers (Derry/Dundalk)

850Mhz: Not supported by provider.

Oldbarzo

(Douglas)

Guest wbaw
Supplier/Model Orange San Francisco

Original Rom: B10 (TFT)

Rom used after going to Gen 2: CM7 Nightly 68

Network Provider/Country: Orange (UK)

HSUPA: Yes (Ookla 1626kps) This was the better of 2 Servers (Derry/Dundalk)

850Mhz: Not supported by provider.

Oldbarzo

(Douglas)

How did you upgrade to Gen2? Looks like that might be important.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Supplier / Model: Orange San Francisco

Original ROM: B08

ROM Used after going to GEN2: CM7

Network Provider / Country: Giff Gaff, UK

HSUPA: Get around 380kbps so maybe

850MHz: Dunno

Guest admanirv
Supplier / Model Orange UK / Orange San Francisco

Original ROM B05

ROM Used after going to GEN2: CM7

Network Provider / Country TPG Mobile (Uses the Optus Network) / Australia

HSUPA No (Speedtest consistently shows about 350kbps

850MHz Not supported by my provider

I'm on Telstra mate, and always get 'H' for internet usuage, i found optus to be crap compared to Telstra.

Where in Australia are you?, I found in W.A my friend couldn't get a signal when i could.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I'm on Telstra mate, and always get 'H' for internet usuage, i found optus to be crap compared to Telstra.

Where in Australia are you?, I found in W.A my friend couldn't get a signal when i could.

Telstra still provides its old 2100Mhz UMTS network as well as the 850Mhz NextG network, so getting reception on Telstra doesn't prove anything. Your friend may not get reception because his phone's radio is not as sensitive. If you downgrade to Gen1 and cannot get reception where you can now get it on Gen2, or if you get upload speeds above 400kb/s on speedtest, then you will prove something.

I've been doing some research of my own and while i have more to test, here's what i came up with. For most of these tests i used the Telia amss.mbn (since it has the latest build date), but they all share the same default settings for this.

HSPA (= HSDPA+HSUPA):

HSDPA is covered in 3GPP release 5, while HSUPA is part of release 6.

While references to HSUPA and HSPA in amss.mbn can be found, in all gen2 versions i have seen, only release 5 is exposed by the Radio Resource Control (RRC). With some specific settings in the non-volatile memory (where IMEI and other things are stored), it was possible to force this to 6.

While the phone worked normally, every time HSPA would be activated, it would reboot and the logs don't really show what goes wrong (it stops at different spots with different tries).

For example, from the radio log (adb logcat -b radio):

E/QCRIL   (  191): UMTS System: srv domain 3 , srv capability 3, egprs supp 0

E/QCRIL   (  191): HSPA System

E/QCRIL   (  191): Registration State: Registered (Home network), RadioTech: HSPA, LAC: xxxx, CID: xxxxxxxx, BSID: (null), BSLat: (null), BSLong: (null)

E/QCRIL   (  191):					 CCS: (null), SID: (null), NID: (null), RoamStatus: (null), PRL: (null), DefRoamStatus: (null), RejReason: 0

[...]

D/GSM	 (  309): radio tech is 11

[reboot]
(radio tech 11 = HSPA, 9 = HSDPA) This doesn't necessarily mean it will reboot for anyone, but with the currently available firmware, it is always put back to release 5 when you start up your phone, so HSUPA shouldn't work. (If you think it does, the radio log should show it.) 850MHz: The current amss.mbn's don't enable 850 for either 2G or 3G. From code, it seems only the Chinese amss.mbn unlocks both 2G and 3G 850, but i haven't been able to get that one to work. Enabling 2G 850 seems fairly easy (my phone is running with it, but i have no way to test it atm!); from a log:
rr_general.c  01922  UE supports EGSM900 and PGSM900

rr_general.c  01941  UE supports DCS1800

rr_general.c  01950  UE supports PCS1900

rr_general.c  01958  UE supports GSM850	   [this line is new]

No luck on 3G 850 yet.

Guest shmizan

cpg, great work! thank you. I'll refer to the 850 MHz part since hsUpa doesn't concern me so much right now.

few questions: what happens if I flash the Chinese amss.mbn to my phone? what are the testing options? (revertible or not?)

is it possible to edit the amss.mbn file to add the lines needed for the 3G 850 to work on the Telia amss.mbn

what did you mean by "but i haven't been able to get that one to work.", do you mean the Chinese amss.mbn or...?

and lastly, how did you enable 2G 850 ?

once again, great work! :P

Guest ChundaMars
If there IS anyone living / holidaying / working in an 850MHz region who can definitively comment, that would be useful. This includes Canada, USA, and various other countries in the Americas. See http://allworldcellphones.com/gsm-frequencies-list.htm

Maybe this will help:

Supplier / Model Orange San Francisco OLED

Original ROM B05 I guess - so long ago now!

ROM Used after going to GEN2 CM7 (currently nightly 73 I think)

Network Provider / Country 2degrees / New Zealand

HSUPA Not supported by my provider

850MHz Not supported by my provider BUT supported by another provider in my country and tested by me (90% confident 850MHz unlocked)

So, a little background - we have 3 providers in NZ, Vodafone (GSM 900/1800 & WCDMA 900/2100) 2degrees (GSM 900/1800 & WCDMA 2100, also have roaming agreement on Vodafone's network) and Telecom (WCDMA 850/2100, no GSM). Prior to converting to Gen 2, under my available network providers in the settings menu I had Vodafone and 2degrees - no Telecom. After converting to Gen 2, Telecom appears in this list. I have also tested a friends Telecom SIM card in my OSF and received a signal no problem.

The only issue is I cannot be 100% sure that it was the Telecom 850MHz freq I was connected through as I am in an urban area, where they also have 2100MHz cell sites for increased traffic. Given that Telecom didn't appear as a network provider till AFTER I converted to Gen 2, it makes sense that 850MHz is unlocked, but who knows?

Short of driving out into the country (which I'm not going to do just for the hell of it to test a cellphone!) is there any other way to know which freq my phone is picking up?

Further info: I converted to Gen 2 using the older Windows method, not the TPT method, if that makes a difference

Edited by ChundaMars

• 2 months later...
Guest bboyzell

Supplier / Model Orange San Francisco ZTE P6729B

Generation: Generation 2

Original ROM: Unknown

ROM Used after going to GEN2: Cynagon 7

Network Provider / Country: Telstra Next G / Australia

HSUPA: Unknown

850MHZ: Nope sadly, Currently trying to figure out how to get it to Quad-Band

Guest Ralph Martin

This thread should really be closed. It has been confirmed that the Blade cannot support hsupa or 850mhz.

Agreed!

Please do not add to this thread.

Edited by Ralph Martin