Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest johninbkk

You're meant to be there. That's Clockwork Recovery. Updating to gen 2 leaves you without a rom so you use this to install a rom of your choice. What file are you trying to install? Sounds like it's not a valid thing to be installing. You should be choosing install from zip (as you are doing) and selecting the gen2 rom you downloaded to the sd card. If you didn't put one on there... download one (CM7 or GSF or SS) and copy it on using a card reader then use install from zip to install it.

can i copy CM7 or GSF to my laptop, unzip it and copy to SD card into image folder?

or copy to the SD card and the phone will zip?

I have 2 x ZTE phones, should I remove the SD card put into my other phone, copy the files as suggested and put the sd card back into the original phone, Previously I had copy image directory to my laptop zippped to the sd card.

Thanks for your quick reply b4

Guest targetbsp

Unlike the image folder, the rom zip has to be there in zip form on the sd card, not in the image folder. These are 2 completely unrelated procedures. One to upgrade to gen 2, one to flash a rom. You can use whatever method is easiest for you to get the zip file onto the sd card.

Guest johninbkk

Unlike the image folder, the rom zip has to be there in zip form on the sd card, not in the image folder. These are 2 completely unrelated procedures. One to upgrade to gen 2, one to flash a rom. You can use whatever method is easiest for you to get the zip file onto the sd card.

I've got it. Yahoooooo!

Thanks, I owe you. Unfortunately I do not have a credit card, thanks to CitiBank, So next time you're in Bangkok, please give me a shout so I can shout you dinner.. [email protected]

[CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT

Download: cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-TPT.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 104.48mb

MD5: 4e7a35b4485bf0296ba57c1f4730c4e3

Just upgraded to CM 7 using the above download, MD5s & nandroid verified, upgrade completed and booted okay but still can't logon to my BT Homehub2 (enter access code then get 'Obtaining IP address' but doesn't get any further) and I can't access the sd card via usb. This is the second time I've had these problems after upgrade this phone. The first time I used the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT custom zip from this thread followed by the latest CM7 Nightly rom. I successfully restored using the 'Orange UK stock B20 TPT image [22 May 2011]...' submitted by hecatae, after which home hub and usb access were restored. My phone was B10 build when shipped and restored to B10, which is fine but I imagined it would end up B20. I can restore again and try the Ginger Stir Fry upgrade but would prefer to understand why it's happening.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

It's the combination of CM7 & your crap homehub router. CM7 uses a new version of dhcpcd (software that gets your ip address from the router), it doesn't work with bt homehubs. GSF will work. Report a bug on the CM7 bug tracker if you want to get it fixed, the CM7 devs don't read this forum.

Edited by wbaw

Guest maniac_mouse

Yes, I've discovered that the phone's a lot more responsive now.

THE FORMAT OF THE REMAINDER OF THIS POSTING HAS BEEN CHANGED AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ADDED ON 27/07/11.

Below is a list of the problems I have discovered with my phone since upgrade.

• Unable to logon to my home wifi (BT Homehub 2). - Status shows 'Obtaining IP Address' but doesn't get beyond that. Can successfully logon to BT Openzone and BTFON, which may also be connecting via my home hub.
  • Logging on to Gmail is no longer possible inside the house (Not a problem before the upgrade). Connection possible from outdoors but with frequent dropouts.
  • 3G reception is now virtually non existant.
  • Unable to access the phone SD card via USB from PC - 'USB connected' shows at the top of the phone display then changes to the USB symbol (Prior to upgrade it was necessary to select 'Mount' via a popup on the phone), the phone also indicates that it's charging. The PC acknowledges the USB connection and McAffee gives option to scan, but I cannot gain access using Windows Explorer - PC prompts to advise 'Load disc in drive F:' This method was successfully used previously to load the upgrade downloads onto the phone.

THIS NEXT PART IS A 'MUST READ' FOR ALL NOVICES LIKE ME!

At this point I finally realise that I have no idea what to do next. I could put the SD card into the PC to load the files that restore from GEN2 to GEN1 then restore the phone and start again - but hold on, I don't know what went wrong when I did the upgrade so how can I be sure that I'll get the restore right and that could be disasterous. I also don't know if the restore process can be used if the previous upgrade wasn't entirely successful so I'm really sunk.

The point I'm trying to make here is that these items are produced by dedicated enthusiastic members who kindly offer to share their work with others but there are no guarantees. Assuming that they are available they may be willing to offer further assistance when things don't go as expected but they cannot be expected to provide limitless support, especially when they won't know exactly what you did or didn't do! SO IT'S WORTH THINKING ABOUT THAT BEFORE ATTEMPTING SOMETHING YOU DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND!!!

That said, I'm still hoping that I can get the problems resolved (2.3.4 is a great improvement) so would appreciate further advice on how to move forward - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks.

The bt homehub2 problem is due to bt pushing out a faulty firmware upgrade a while back, you can get the blade connected by giving the phone a static ip in settings->wireless and networks->wifi settings->advanced.

Weirdly, this happened to me when i was using sweedish spring rls3 but dissappeared when i switched to ginger stirfry.

Bt have been aware of the fault for months judging by all the complaints on various forums, but (typically) havnt fixed it.

Ginger stir fry uses an older version of dhcpcd, from the orange uk b20 eclair rom, it seems to work more reliably with homehubs. The actual fault is with the homehub rather than CM7, but if you report the issue to CM7 & provide sufficient logs then they should be able to workaround the problem.

Report this (and any other) problem with CM7 here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/list

Edited by wbaw

Guest Ray-man

Ginger stir fry uses an older version of dhcpcd, from the orange uk b20 eclair rom, it seems to work more reliably with homehubs. The actual fault is with the homehub rather than CM7, but if you report the issue to CM7 & provide sufficient logs then they should be able to workaround the problem.

Report this (and any other) problem with CM7 here: http://code.google.c...mod/issues/list

Thanks wbaw and maniac_mouse, that explains the homehub problem, I'll report it as suggested. Is that the best place to report the USB problem as well?

Incidently, I've had some suggestions from the CM7 thread so will be checking them out as well.

Once again, thanks for the responses they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks wbaw and maniac_mouse, that explains the homehub problem, I'll report it as suggested. Is that the best place to report the USB problem as well?

Incidently, I've had some suggestions from the CM7 thread so will be checking them out as well.

Once again, thanks for the responses they are greatly appreciated.

Any bugs in CM7 should be reported there. Make sure you read the rules, submit logs & make sure that nobody else has submitted the same bug before, otherwise they'll get annoyed.

It might be that none of the CM7 developers have BT Homehubs, so they'll need log files so that they can see how it fails.

You could try replacing /system/bin/dhcpcd with the older version that's used in GSF & the android 2.1 stock roms, although it might not work due to differences between cm7 & zte's roms.

Edited by wbaw

Guest targetbsp

I've got it. Yahoooooo!

No problem. Glad you got it sorted. :) Most of the thanks should go to wbaw for making the first part where you convert from gen 1 to gen 2 so convenient. That's where the magic is. :)

Guest nio25

is the any chance that the TPT can affect the languages that are available for selection in the keyboard menu (in cm7) ?

where can we find older versions of TPT ?

Guest k0zmic

is the any chance that the TPT can affect the languages that are available for selection in the keyboard menu (in cm7) ?

where can we find older versions of TPT ?

A TPT shouldn't affect the keyboard languages in CM7, it's a ROM thing.

What version of CM7 are you using?

Guest nio25

A TPT shouldn't affect the keyboard languages in CM7, it's a ROM thing.

What version of CM7 are you using?

yeap it was a rom thing.in the latest nightly many languages are missing...i used an older latinime.apk and its ok now :)

Guest HLS69

No Rom thing but I am on cm7 ^^

I want to go back from gen2 to gen1 for warrenty reasons.

if I want to flash the zip clockwork says the following:

Installing: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip

Finding update package...

Opening update Package...

Installing update...

Installing aborted

why cant I install the update? To upgrade from gen1 to gen2 I used a zip from this thread, too.

I am useing a Base lutea from eplus germany

EDIT:

I used this Guide: http://android.modaco.com/topic/343587-guide-de-bricking-a-zte-blade/

and used methode 3 to flash gen1 and the I could flash the stock rom.

If I want to go into recovery now the phone shows a big "FTM" and I can do nothing!

Is this the stock recovery or do I need to change comething before I send it in to rplus Germany (Stock rom is already flashed ofc)

Edited by HLS69

Guest k0zmic

I am useing a Base lutea from eplus germany

EDIT:

I used this Guide: http://android.modac...ng-a-zte-blade/

If I want to go into recovery now the phone shows a big "FTM" and I can do nothing!

Is this the stock recovery or do I need to change comething before I send it in to rplus Germany (Stock rom is already flashed ofc)

You're doing it wrong, you don't flash it in Clockworkmod.

• Download the applicable TPT file from above.
  • Unzip and put the “image” folder onto the root directory of your SD card.
  • Disconnect and reconnect your SD card and check the integrity of the TPT files. There is a file called "image.hash" in the image folder which contains all the files' md5 hashes in plain text. Make sure that the md5 of all the files match, or you may brick your phone.
  • Turn on your phone with the SD card inserted and with menu and volume up held.
  • The screen will either stay black or show green text (if you see the green android immediately then it didn't work), and will restart into clockworkmod when done. Wait at least 5 minutes for it to restart if you don’t see anything.
  • When it is finished (even if it didn't work), then remove the image directory from the SD card to prevent accidental flashing later on.

EDIT:

I used this Guide: http://android.modaco.com/topic/343587-guide-de-bricking-a-zte-blade/

You're ok now. FTM is the stock recovery.

You did it wrong at first, you dont flash a tpt using clockworkmod, you use the menu, vol+ & power on method described in the first post of this thread, or the 'method 3' in the debricking guide, it's the same.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Ray-man

Any bugs in CM7 should be reported there. Make sure you read the rules, submit logs & make sure that nobody else has submitted the same bug before, otherwise they'll get annoyed.

It might be that none of the CM7 developers have BT Homehubs, so they'll need log files so that they can see how it fails.

You could try replacing /system/bin/dhcpcd with the older version that's used in GSF & the android 2.1 stock roms, although it might not work due to differences between cm7 & zte's roms.

Hi wbaw, Thanks for your continued help.

Reporting to CM7 developers looks a daunting prospect but I'll give it a go. Where do I find the 'log files' that you refer to?

With regard to replacing the dhcpcd, I did that but when I zipped the rom again (JZIP) it ended up smaller than the original. I unzipped it and laboriously compared number of files and sizes with the original rom (must be an easier way) and it all appeared to be there but when I tried to flash it Clockwork immediatly aborted the process so there was obviously something wrong. At that point I gave up and flashed N149 instead. As expected, the homehub issue still exists but some new problems have now shown up and I've no idea what's going on so it may be time for me to admit defeat.

If I decide to call it a day and use your GEN2 to GEN1 restore + reflash the Orange stock rom etc. (I've tried it before and it worked very well), will the phone still be rooted (I had already done that before the original GEN1 to GEN2 TPT upgrade). If so, can it be unrooted i.e. restored to 'as shipped' state?

Guest k0zmic

When i am in cloclwork recovery,why does it say file not found when i try to upgrade to gen 2? :S :((

Because you don't flash the TPT .zip file in Clockworkmod.

To install: Unzip the file to the root of your sdcard, it will create an 'image' folder. Check the integrity of the files using AFV (available from android market) to find the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, then long press on it & verify nandroid backup. Turn off your phone, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then hold menu & volume + when you power it on. You should see some green text (may be just a blank screen) then it should reboot & you should see a big android while it is performing it's first boot (this will take a while). Once it has successfully started up don't forget to delete the image folder on your sd card, to prevent any accidents.
Edited by k0zmic

Guest KopCity

Once WHAT has successfully started up???I do have a BIG android and it stays there for 10mins.then it takes me to recovery mode non stop...whats going on.how will i know if its gen 2?

Guest k0zmic

Once WHAT has successfully started up???I do have a BIG android and it stays there for 10mins.then it takes me to recovery mode non stop...whats going on.how will i know if its gen 2?

Once the phone has started up.

I'm assuming you've used the file: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip?

If it goes into Clockworkmod recovery it probably means you need to flash a ROM e.g. Ginger Stir Fry or CM7.

Guest KopCity

How can i flash a ROM when im on recovery MODE with no ROM available? i did something restore and im not sure if im back to square one.omg what do i do?how do i get out of this?

and yes i installed this

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip

By they way we should all give our opinions here. The explanation sucks! how are first time users supposed to know not to downoad this file through recovery mode and how do we know if its upgraded?these things are important if you clal urselves experts.

Edited by KopCity

Guest k0zmic

How can i flash a ROM when im on recovery MODE with no ROM available? i did something restore and im not sure if im back to square one.omg what do i do?how do i get out of this?

and yes i installed this

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip

By they way we should all give our opinions here. The explanation sucks! how are first time users supposed to know not to downoad this file through recovery mode and how do we know if its upgraded?these things are important if you clal urselves experts.

Mount USB Storage. You put on on your SD Card. Wipe/Data Factory Reset. You press the button that says Flash .zip from SD Card.

You most likely don't need to restore anything.

The explanation is adequate if it's read properly, that's not to say it can't be improved.

They're supposed to know because the guide says you don't do that. It clearly states extract it and hold Volume Up and Power.

IIRC the process should say once it's completed whether it was successful. If you flash a ROM and then download Mr Pigfish from the Android Market you can confirm.

I wouldn't call myself an expert and I haven't seen many (if any) others say they are.

Guest KopCity

Mount USB Storage. You put on on your SD Card. Wipe/Data Factory Reset. You press the button that says Flash .zip from SD Card.

You most likely don't need to restore anything.

The explanation is adequate if it's read properly, that's not to say it can't be improved.

They're supposed to know because the guide says you don't do that. It clearly states extract it and hold Volume Up and Power.

IIRC the process should say once it's completed whether it was successful. If you flash a ROM and then download Mr Pigfish from the Android Market you can confirm.

I wouldn't call myself an expert and I haven't seen many (if any) others say they are.

I cant download mr pigfish because i don't have a ROM. I woud love to install a ROM right now but i'm unsure what GEN i am as i am stuck in recovery mode.I pressed back-up for some reason so i can't cancel it.is there another way of finding out what GEN i am?

thanks

Guest k0zmic

I cant download mr pigfish because i don't have a ROM. I woud love to install a ROM right now but i'm unsure what GEN i am as i am stuck in recovery mode.I pressed back-up for some reason so i can't cancel it.is there another way of finding out what GEN i am?

thanks

AFAIK there isn't.

I'd suggest the following.

Download Swedish Spring, as it's Gen 1 and Gen 2 compatible.

Click Mount USB Storage in recovery mode. Plug the USB into phone and computer.

Drag the Swedish Spring ROM file onto the SD Card.

Unmount USB Storage.

Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Select Flash .zip from SD Card and then flash yes.

Download Mr Pigfish from the Market to confirm you're on Gen 2. If you are go crazy and install Ginger Stir Fry or CM7 or any other Gen 2 ROM.

Edited by k0zmic