Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest k0zmic

bought my san francisco yesterday, and used the tpt, worked like a charme, keep up the goog work

small question, if I want to flash 19B ( not the TPT) i'll just put the zip file on the SDcart and boot with power and vol - and do the rest in clockwork right ??

grtz a noob

Yeah put the ROM file on the SD Card and select the rest from Clockwork.

Guest Ray-man

Asked on the GSF thread but didn't get a response - don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded the GSF all-in-one upgrade - when unzipping to the SD card I get a copy file error which says:

'An unexpected error is keeping you from copying this file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

boot.img

Type: Disc Image File'

Then I have the option to Try Again, Skip or Cancel.

Is this normal? Please help!

Hi mjm1483,

I had exactly the same problem and was getting the same error message when I first tried. I was using Windows Explorer then but haven't had any problem since changing to a different zip program (JZIP in my case) so I'm sure that's all it is.

Incidently, you'll find this forum is great and you're unlikely to wait very long to get a response and the support is excellent. Just remember to post your questions on the appropriate thread.

Guest Ray-man

Thanks k0zmic & others that helped him. I'll edit the first post & use those instructions as the base (I'll edit them a bit) sometime over the weekend.

Hi wbaw, It looks like you've received some good contributions already so I won't complicate things. However, there are a couple of things you may want to consider.

I found I was getting unzip errors on the first attempts and I see that I'm not alone. That could be a showstopper for some so it may be worth adding a note.

This is more a question than suggestion. I didn't know which upgrade would be best for me, custom or stock (still don't for that matter), so went for the custom one mainly because it's also used in the All-In-One. Is there anything you could add that could help a newcommer to decide? Also, what are the merits of having two rather than 'One size fits all', and how easy would it be to swap between them once installed?

Finally, to make it easier when deciding if to go for the separate or All-In-One method, a note to say that different roms can be flashed later as required would help. It may also be an idea to state which builds of GSF and CM7 are in the All-In-Ones.

That's all I can think of right now, so good luck with the revisions.

Guest targetbsp

You want custom unless you are using a stock rom. The stock roms of full of bloatware and so need much more system space to accommodate all their crap. However, having this much space in system reduces the size of the data partition which reduces the amount of user apps you can install by 90mb which is wasteful if you're not using a stock rom. That's why you can't have a one size fits all. One of them is too small for the stock roms, the other is unnecessarily big for the roms that 99% of people will actually use.

It already tells you what versions are used in the all-in-one roms. GSF B19 and CM7.1 RC1

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Ray-man

You want custom unless you are using a stock rom. The stock roms of full of bloatware and so need much more system space to accommodate all their crap. However, having this much space in system reduces the size of the data partition which reduces the amount of user apps you can install by 90mb which is wasteful if you're not using a stock rom. That's why you can't have a one size fits all. One of them is too small for the stock roms, the other is unnecessarily big for the roms that 99% of people will actually use.

It already tells you what versions are used in the all-in-one roms. GSF B19 and CM7.1 RC1

Thanks targetbsp,

I understand it better now. When I first started searching for a 2.3 upgrade I expected there to be just one android 2.3 gingerbread to install and that was it, I wasn't expecting lots of variants (GSF, CM7 etc.) not to mention GEN1 and GEN2 upgrades. So when I saw there were two upgrade versions assumed that stock roms could include the standard item I had expected to find. That's another myth exploded, good.

It also didn't click that B19 and RC1 are version numbers, I've only used CM7 nightlies up to now.

I think a set of instructions that can be followed entirely on the phone would be better, it cuts out the computer part & the default windows zip program, which seems to have issues. Less chance of anything going wrong & it's the same set of instructions for everybody then, no matter what os they use on their pc, or even if they don't have a pc.

So, what's the best Android GUI unzip app? Is there a decent free file manager that can both unzip & do 'md5sum -c' checks?

It might even be worth writing an app for it (display no warranty disclaimer, download, unzip, md5 check, show message on screen to tell the user to turn off then turn on with menu & vol+ held). It'd be good if Rom Manager could deal with TPTs, but that might be an unrealistic dream.

I think the main problem is hosting, I don't think these free file hosts are very mobile friendly. My hosting is in the UK & at one of the more expensive hosts (they have excellent support), bandwidth required just for the Gen1-to-Gen2 could be around 50gb/month, more if we have the all in one rom zips too.

Edited by wbaw

Guest k0zmic

I think a set of instructions that can be followed entirely on the phone would be better, it cuts out the computer part & the default windows zip program, which seems to have issues. Less chance of anything going wrong & it's the same set of instructions for everybody then, no matter what os they use on their pc, or even if they don't have a pc. I think the main problem is hosting, I don't think these free file hosts are very mobile friendly.

So, what's the best Android GUI unzip app? Is there a decent free file manager that can both unzip & do 'md5sum -c' checks?

It might even be worth writing an app for it (display no warranty disclaimer, download, unzip, md5 check, show message on screen to tell the user to turn off then turn on with menu & vol+ held). It'd be good if Rom Manager could deal with TPTs, but that might be an unrealistic dream.

That's true, less confusion hopefully. I find Wuala is pretty decent for downloading files on Mobile since there aren't any ad's so it's a little cleaner and there aren't any time limits AFAIK.

I think the best Android GUI unzip app is AndroZIP but it doesn't do MD5 and I haven't found an app that does both.

A dedicated app is a good idea.

Don't I need to pay for Wuala? Does it allow direct linking to downloads? If it comes to the worst then I could maybe fund another cheap us based web hosting account from donations or something. Media Temple is $20us/month for 1tb/month & reliable, unfortunately I don't think they take paypal. Don't think amazon s3 can be paid for by paypal either. I could probably find something similar that does accept paypal. Bandwidth is quite cheap in the usa, especially if you don't need any other features or support. Somebody here might even have a few hundred gb/month they aren't using & would be willing to donate ;)

However, with my current hosting account just 100gb/month costs me £30/month (but they are really good with support, etc).

I think maybe astro does md5 checks, but only for single files, but i've not tried it.

It sounds like quite a simple app to make for it anyway, if you've ever made an Android app before, I suppose it could be my first.

Edited by wbaw

Guest k0zmic

Don't I need to pay for Wuala? Does it allow direct linking to downloads? If it comes to the worst then I could maybe fund another cheap us based web hosting account from donations or something. Media Temple is us / month for 1tb & reliable, unfortunately I don't think they take paypal. Don't think amazon s3 can be paid for by paypal either. I could probably find something similar that does accept paypal.

I think maybe astro does md5 checks, but only for single files, but i've not tried it.

It sounds like quite a simple app to make for it anyway, if you've ever made an Android app before, I suppose it could be my first.

There's a free option, although I think if you select this 'Trade Storage' option you get more space and Pro features which is what I did so I have around 20GB of storage.

I think it does allow direct linking to downloads, e.g http://content.wuala...de-b19.zip?dl=1 and it's quick, I just downloaded that file at 1MB.

I haven't tried Astro either, at least not for a long time.

Update:

Just checked, Amazon S3 doesn't allow PayPal as a payment option, not surprised though.

But on the upside it looks like MediaTemple do: http://kb.mediatempl.../make-a-payment

Edited by k0zmic

$20/month is mt's cheapest account. I could move my websites back to them again though, it'd be less than I'm paying now & I'd get 1TB/month bandwidth, which should be plenty...

I'll think about it, just paid for this months hosting & it'll cost to transfer my domains.

Guest Amphoras

I think a set of instructions that can be followed entirely on the phone would be better, it cuts out the computer part & the default windows zip program, which seems to have issues. Less chance of anything going wrong & it's the same set of instructions for everybody then, no matter what os they use on their pc, or even if they don't have a pc.

I think the main problem is hosting, I don't think these free file hosts are very mobile friendly. My hosting is in the UK & at one of the more expensive hosts (they have excellent support), bandwidth required just for the Gen1-to-Gen2 could be around 50gb/month, more if we have the all in one rom zips too.

I've been looking at making apps recently, so I thought I'd give this a try. Its pretty basic so far, but it can check the md5 of the zip, unzip it to the image folder, and can check the md5s of the files inside the zip. Currently it checks the root of the sdcard and the download folder for the stock and custom v8 TPTs, and gives the option to work on them. It also lets you enter the name of any TPT, as long as its on the root of the sdcard. I'm going to try and add some more stuff, but I'm very new to this, so it takes a while. I've uploaded it here if anyone wants to try it. Let me know what you think :).

http://www.mediafire.com/?3qmadyaskf8jkgs

Guest trueno2k

Updated, latest amss.mbn from Hungary 2.2.2 rom update. Also, new stock rom compatible version.

Custom rom version (should work well with most custom roms, more room for your apps & data)

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip mirror

Download size: 16.05mb

MD5: 35581040f3af0387af502e80cdcaf364

SHA1: 3958e25c3a1a6f3ed982318f5bd70c8369a82981

Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data, 0.1mb oem

Alternative version - enough space to install gen2 stock roms

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-stock.zip mirror

Download size: 16.06mb

MD5: b87a8fb0dd779dde393993cd2f786d37

SHA1: 47c9843cbfdf28ed504f3b3252e2f8b327bd6bee

Partitions: 37mb cache, 210mb system, 204mb data 4mb oem

Hi, I was just wondering would be okay with just extracting the amss.mbn and that cefs.mbn files from v8 tpt and replacing the v7 tpt amss.mbn file and adding cefs.mbn to v7 tpt image folder? I much prefer to keep the current v7 partition layout with the smaller system and larger internal data storage!

Guest k0zmic

Hi, I was just wondering would be okay with just extracting the amss.mbn and that cefs.mbn files from v8 tpt and replacing the v7 tpt amss.mbn file and adding cefs.mbn to v7 tpt image folder? I much prefer to keep the current v7 partition layout with the smaller system and larger internal data storage!

That should be okay.

Also, you can create your own Partition Layouts easily with this tool: http://android.modaco.com/topic/337426-gen1gen2partition-layout-tool-windows-only/

Guest trueno2k

That should be okay.

Also, you can create your own Partition Layouts easily with this tool: http://android.modac...l-windows-only/

Thanks dude... so by replacing the files in the image folder with the ones I've created using this tool will tpt my smartphone with the partition layout I created? Just another question what is this cefs.mbn file and what does it do?

Edited by trueno2k

Guest k0zmic

Thanks dude... so by replacing the files in the image folder with the ones I've created using this tool will tpt my smartphone with the partition layout I created? Just another question what is this cefs.mbn file and what does it do?

Yep, others have done that and found it works fine and I did the same thing and it worked with with this:

From what I could find on Google:

"cefs.mbn" is the EFS
I think it's to do with the File system, I could well be wrong though.

Guest trueno2k

... you can create your own Partition Layouts easily with this tool: http://android.modac...l-windows-only/

Another question about this tool... how come when I select the size formats for the partitions I can only get 128MB for system and only 310MB for data where as wbaw can get 140MB for system and 314MB for data? AND I'm not sure what the oem partition is for!? Will I need for CM7?

Edited by trueno2k

Guest k0zmic

Another question about this tool... how come when I select the size formats for the partitions I can only get 128MB for system and only 310MB for data where as wbaw can get 140MB for system and 314MB for data? AND I'm not sure what the oem partition is for!? Will I need for CM7?

Not sure about that, someone more knowledgeable would probably know though.

But you definitely don't need the OEM partition, so make it 0MB.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest trueno2k

Well, if this tool in fact only creates 128MB/310MB partitions, then I may as well stick with wbaw own partitions as the partition split is larger on both the system and data than what this tool can create... thanks for the help... Oh and one last thing I need to know is, is it necessary to have cefs,mbn as v7 tpt doesn't include it...

EDIT: Just a thought... would it be better to transfer the two partition layout mbn files over to replace the v8 tpt partition mbn files so that I can keep using the 140MB/314MB partition layout? And would I be able to replace the current recovery.img file with an up-to-date version? I see that CWM recovery has version 4 and higher out now! Are these newer CWM version not compatible with my Orange San Francisco or something?

Edited by trueno2k

Just use v7 if you want, there is no real difference. OEM partition is only used by froyo stock roms for mounting a windows driver cd iso.

Edited by wbaw

Guest trueno2k

Just use v7 if you want, there is no real difference.

Erm... do you mean v7b, I thought the partition layout I'm using is v7b version... Okay aside from that, what does the new amss.mbn provide compared to the v7/v7b version?

Erm... do you mean v7b, I thought the partition layout I'm using is v7b version... Okay aside from that, what does the new amss.mbn provide compared to the v7/v7b version?

If you're already on gen2 & have a partition layout that you're happy with then there is no reason to change it. New amss.mbn makes no noticeable difference whatsoever. The only new thing for v8 was the stock rom compatible version.

Edited by wbaw

Guest trueno2k

If you're already on gen2 & have a partition layout that you're happy with then there is no reason to change it. New amss.mbn makes no noticeable difference whatsoever. The only new thing for v8 was the stock rom compatible version.

If the newer amss.mbn does not make any noticeable difference compared to one in v7 version then why did you include it in v8 tpt ???

Well... I would love to have a smaller system partition and larger data partition as I have customised the CM7 custom rom zip further by getting rid of some of the apps in the zip I don't need and replaced others with what I use instead, which means I have lots of system space to spare, which for the time being, am using adb to push apk files that I rarely update to the system app folder just to fill the space and save on data space to make available for other apps I use and update frequently... However, if this tool can't do better than what you have done for v7 tpt, then I'll have to stick with it until a tool can be created that can customise partition layout much more better, just like the way you have done for v7...

EDIT: I've even gotten rid of some of the ringtones and notification tones that just took up space and I didn't ever use... Oh yeah I forgot to say thank you for all your time and effort in giving us this wonderful tpt :-P

Edited by trueno2k

If the newer amss.mbn does not make any noticeable difference compared to one in v7 version then why did you include it in v8 tpt ???

Because it's newer & I was doing a new stock rom compatible version. It doesn't mean that you should 'upgrade', there's no upgrades here. If you have a gen2 phone then there is no reason for anybody to update it again.

Well... I would love to have a smaller system partition and larger data partition as I have customised the CM7 custom rom zip further by getting rid of some of the apps in the zip I don't need and replaced others with what I use instead, which means I have lots of system space to spare, which for the time being, am using adb to push apk files that I rarely update to the system app folder just to fill the space and save on data space to make available for other apps I use and update frequently... However, if this tool can't do better than what you have done for v7 tpt, then I'll have to stick with it until a tool can be created that can customise partition layout much more better, just like the way you have done for v7...

EDIT: I've even gotten rid of some of the ringtones and notification tones that just took up space and I didn't ever use... Oh yeah I forgot to say thank you for all your time and effort in giving us this wonderful tpt :-P

Just use s2e to put your apps on an ext3 partition on your sd card, then you'll never run out of space.

There's an extra 15mb of space created in this layout vs a standard gen2 layout, because it's using some gen1 files & gen1 doesn't reserve as much space for the radio firmware. Making a partition tool that can take account of that & work with all 3 partition layouts is difficult. v880 phones wont start with a blade appsboot.mbn either, so that's a 4th version. Probably going to be a 'Gen3' too if/when we get official Gingerbread updates. Also, the splash partition is in a fixed location, so changing anything before that is hard too.

So you could be waiting forever if you're waiting for a tool to do it all for you, I wrote something for Gen1 phones, but making it take account of all the different variations would be pretty hard so I gave up on it. 20mb is only the size of a single game anyway, so it's really not worth bothering about.

There's always a small risk of totally destroying your phone every time you TPT too. You should only do it when necessary.

Edited by wbaw

Guest trueno2k
There's always a small risk of totally destroying your phone every time you TPT too. You should only do it when necessary.

Really... I must have tpt'ed my phone dozens of times, and each and everytime it's been fine... I normally tpt my phone to completely wipe my phone of CM7 and gapps so that I can start afresh with a newer nightly cm7 version and maybe a newer gapps version... So, for the time being your tpt is working flawlessly for my phone that is :D ... Great work! :P

EDIT: oh and I've replaced some of the mbn files in v7 with v8,v4 versions and gone back to the original splash.img and having no problems so far... using the 138MB/315MB partition layout and v8 nandroid version... hopefully nothing goes wrong... will update later on my usage of my phone with this customisation to your tpt...

Edited by trueno2k

As I said, it's a very small risk of destroying your phone, but it can happen. I've heard of somebody that flashed a tpt that had worked fine before, but it somehow ended up erasing all the first part of the nand instead. I've done it hundreds of times & not had a problem except when I messed it up trying to create this TPT. A tpt rewrites all the low level firmware, so if it goes badly wrong you might need to jtag it. It's very unlikely to happen (unless you corrupt or change .mbn files), but it's even less likely if you only TPT when you need to. It's a similar kind of risk to doing a bios update on a PC.

There is absolutely no need for anybody to update to v8 if they're happy with their current gen2 partition layout. It isn't really an update, you're either gen1 or gen2, all the different gen2 amss.mbn files seem to make no difference at all. All I did were very slight tweaks to gain an extra mb or so since v4 & the stock rom compatible version. Unless you want to try out stock roms, or the rom you want is bigger than your current system partition, there is no need to change. I just use the latest available amss.mbn whenever I make some very minor partition layout change, just in case there are any improvements, or in case it might fix some incompatibility with newer phones. I haven't noticed any difference at all between any of the different gen2 amss.mbn files that I've tried on my phone. The files are a little bit different in each update which is released, but they all seem to behave in exactly the same way to me.

Edited by wbaw