[Guide] LCD replacement

Guest Alperin.1

Guest Alperin.1

Hey folks,

Here is a PDF that I created a while back on replacing the LCD.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4HS5GAK

Hopefully it provides that much more incentive for folks that are on the fence about taking on the task.

Alperin1

Here is a link to the images in the guide, these images are full size, they are very large. (Thanks to marvin02 over at Pocketables.net he is hosting the images)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peekofai

I just followed these instructions and have a dell streak with a new LCD as I type this.

Very detailed.

Note to anyone that chooses to use this in future:

I know there are a lot of references to "removing the motherboard" but when it actually comes to removing the motherboard it's not spelt out.

I spent a few minutes scratching my head on how I was going to get the ribbons through the plastic plate and into the motherboard once i had taken the LCD and glass off.

Please remove the motherboard AFTER getting the LCD/Glass off before continuing!!

Another thing to note:

The glass on mine effectively fell off the LCD. I suspect it was because the liquid from the LCD had weakened the glue.

I know a lot of folks have ha problems with extracting the glass from the LCD... maybe you should break your LCD and led it sit for a month first :-p

Guest 10xOXR

IT LIVES!!

Finally replaced my screen (and installed a 4GB, Class 10 internal SD while I was there)! So happy to have the phone back! It's really made me appreciate how fragile the device actually is. I think I need to invest in a proper case and screen protector.

Does anyone now find that, having replaced the screen, it seems a little more fragile around the edges and sensitive to touching the corners? Any kind pressure now applied to the corners of the screen seems to have an amplified effect on the LCD. Just me?

Guest Alperin.1
IT LIVES!!

Finally replaced my screen (and installed a 4GB, Class 10 internal SD while I was there)! So happy to have the phone back! It's really made me appreciate how fragile the device actually is. I think I need to invest in a proper case and screen protector.

Does anyone now find that, having replaced the screen, it seems a little more fragile around the edges and sensitive to touching the corners? Any kind pressure now applied to the corners of the screen seems to have an amplified effect on the LCD. Just me?

I have notice the sensitivity as well. It is just as strong though, m :mellow:

Guest cocole

I just replaced an lcd for a friend using this guide. Everything works fine but the panel over the earpiece and camera has lost its stickiness. Does anyone have any ideas on a glue/tape that would hold it without it being permanently stuck?

Guest ulfses

I just want to remind people to replace the tape/glue that sticks to the edges of the gorillaglass to the plastic under. My LCD split in two (like a sandwitch) because the gorillaglass was not attached properly, and pulled the whole LCD apart.

Guest Alperin.1

T

I just want to remind people to replace the tape/glue that sticks to the edges of the gorillaglass to the plastic under. My LCD split in two (like a sandwitch) because the gorillaglass was not attached properly, and pulled the whole LCD apart.

That is something I did not think about. Iha e replaced mine twice and am about to do it again. Not once have I glued the edges down.

I was in the kitchen and the phone was hit with a broom handle as I was holding it up at shoulder hight. All that happened the last time was just one corner started to fail. So I will be replacing the screen yet again :unsure:

Guest Alperin.1
I just replaced an lcd for a friend using this guide. Everything works fine but the panel over the earpiece and camera has lost its stickiness. Does anyone have any ideas on a glue/tape that would hold it without it being permanently stuck?

Go to a local shop and buy the tape from a different phone and the cut it to fit as best you can. This is what I did and it worked really well. Maybe too well, I may have cracked one of my ends. I will see when I vet my third sceen. Dooohhhhh

Guest ulfses
T

That is something I did not think about. Iha e replaced mine twice and am about to do it again. Not once have I glued the edges down.

I was in the kitchen and the phone was hit with a broom handle as I was holding it up at shoulder hight. All that happened the last time was just one corner started to fail. So I will be replacing the screen yet again :unsure:

I had the same thing. I dropped it from bed actually ^^ , and there was a tiny tiny blob in the corner that just got bigger over time. I have now purchased ANOTHER screen - and when i pulled it apart, i noticed that the lcd is not cracked at all, but slightly separated. Pretty annoying. And this was with double sided 3M tape on the edges. *sigh*

Guest ulfses

i used something like this to replace all the adhesives in the phone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-DOUBLE-SIDED-TAPE-A...=item230b3892e5

• 4 months later...

This is driving me crazy. I took my Streak apart and put the new touch screen in and got it back together, but when I try and turn it on the only thing that happens is the backlight and the capacitive buttons come on. It never does anything else though...

Any ideas?

• 4 months later...
Guest SteadyBit

Hey folks,

Here is a PDF that I created a while back on replacing the LCD.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4HS5GAK

Hopefully it provides that much more incentive for folks that are on the fence about taking on the task.

Alperin1

Here is a link to the images in the guide, these images are full size, they are very large. (Thanks to marvin02 over at Pocketables.net he is hosting the images)

Hi @Alperin1,

I dropped my beloved Streak this morning and the screen is gone now :( .

I talked to Dell but they can only replace the whole device for $250.

I want to try and replace it myself with the help of your guide, but who would imagine that Megaupload would be gone by now...

Could you upload it again please?

Thanks.

Hi @Alperin1,

I dropped my beloved Streak this morning and the screen is gone now :( .

I talked to Dell but they can only replace the whole device for $250.

I want to try and replace it myself with the help of your guide, but who would imagine that Megaupload would be gone by now...

Could you upload it again please?

Thanks.

Check this Video

NOTE: Have a look at the layout of the keys for volume, camera and power, they need to go back in the same way

Good Luck :)

Edited by Pete77

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest rebski

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread up to date.

I spilled some Jameson whiskey on my screen last night and it is now decidedly blotchy where it seeped underneath the glass.

My next step is to try and remove the screen and separate the glass from the LCD. Perhaps the alcohol will have done some of the work for me.B)

I already have experience of the dis-assembly required for the internal sd cutaway so this gives me the opportunity of going a step or two further.