Official Chinese Rom Update (5 May 2011)

Guest ahngau

Guest hecatae
Great News Thank you, is this for China Unicom?

Is it 2.2?

Downloading Now

can you multiupload it when downloaded, thank you

Guest Jekle
can you multiupload it when downloaded, thank you

Will do, it downloaded quickly, Why the need for the mirror?

Edited by Jekle

Guest wbaw
Great News Thank you, is this for China Unicom?

Is it 2.2?

Downloading Now

Seems to be a .bin update which you go to about and system updates and it looks like it does a TPT update

It is a gen2 image.bin TPT :unsure:

Guest shootomanUK
Guest wbaw
That means what?

I have an Gen1 Blade, so i have to change it to Gen2 before i apply the update? :unsure:

Firstly, this is Chinese, so...

You do not want to install this file on your phone

It'll break stuff.

However, if you're stupid, then you'll need a proper Gen2 phone (upgraded using windows flasher, or bought as Gen2, not TPT upgraded), then you'll need to put image.bin in the image folder on your sd card, then power on with vol+ & menu held to install.

I'll repeat that you do not want to install this.

However, it's useful for developers, this is the first proper image.bin that we've seen & it opens the door to tpt on proper gen2 phones.

This is from build.prop

ro.build.display.id=UNI_CN_V880 1.1

ro.build.version.incremental=20110426.142154

ro.build.version.sdk=8

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.2

ro.build.date=Tue Apr 26 14:34:55 CST 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1303799695

Edited by wbaw

Guest Jekle

It'll break stuff.

However, if you're stupid, then you'll need a proper Gen2 phone (upgraded using windows flasher, or bought as Gen2, not TPT upgraded), then you'll need to put image.bin in the image folder on your sd card, then power on with vol+ & menu held to install.

However, it's useful for developers, this is the first proper image.bin that we've seen & it opens the door to tpt on proper gen2 phones.

This is from build.prop

ro.build.version.sdk=8

Can you tell us how extract it or can you make a dump of the ROM?

Guest ph0o

It'll break stuff.

This is from build.prop

ro.build.version.sdk=8

Thanks for the explanation :unsure:

Guest fonix232

Hmm, we need to take a look and do a diff on the Gen2 TPT coding, to see how to dismember the bin file...

As I saw it contains the RAW data of the mbn and img files, system.img at the end, and probably partitions.mbn at the very beginning...

Guest Jekle
Hmm, we need to take a look and do a diff on the Gen2 TPT coding, to see how to dismember the bin file...

As I saw it contains the RAW data of the mbn and img files, system.img at the end, and probably partitions.mbn at the very beginning...

how d'you view or extract it? Thanks

Guest fonix232
how d'you view or extract it? Thanks

Viewing is easy, Total Commander's Viewer :unsure: F3

Noone extracted it yet, I guess wbaw did the same and copied the build.prop from the end of the file.

BUT, I am disassembling OEMSBL now, and trying to figure it out how the bin file works... dammit ZTE, y u no use generic stuff again?

Guest wbaw
Viewing is easy, Total Commander's Viewer :unsure: F3

Noone extracted it yet, I guess wbaw did the same and copied the build.prop from the end of the file.

BUT, I am disassembling OEMSBL now, and trying to figure it out how the bin file works... dammit ZTE, y u no use generic stuff again?

cpg already tried that & he wrote some c source that might produce an image.bin

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1677792

Edited by wbaw

Guest cpg

My initial code for the image.bin format was close to complete, but this allowed me to correct it and to fill some holes i couldn't get from the gen2 oemsbl.

I changed the code to work, but i guess describing the format here might be more helpful.

The header of image.bin starts with the text "ZTE SOFTWARE UPDATE PACKAGE" filled up to offset 0x40 with zeroes.

The dword at 0x40 is the number of entries included in the update.

After this, for every entry, 6 dwords follow.

struct

{

unsigned type;

unsigned offset;

unsigned size;

unsigned hasheader;

unsigned headeroffset;

unsigned headersize;

}
The types are (not all of these are normally used for TPT images):
0x01 - qcsblhd_cfgdata

0x02 - qcsbl

0x03 - oemsbl (+ header)

0x04 - amss (+ header)

0x05 - appsboot (+ header)

0x06 - apps (+ header)

0x13 - boot image

0x14 - system image

0x15 - recovery image

0x16 - userdata image

0x17 - misc image

0x18 - cache image

0x19 - splash image

0x1c - partition

0x1d - partition_zte

0x1e - end of list marker (though not required since there's a counter at 0x40 anyway)

Partition and partition_zte always have to be the first and second entries (respectively) in the index; that's what oemsbl assumes. These first two entries are read with a fixed size, but the actual size of partition_zte.mbn in the image can be varied (in my code i padded it with zeroes at first, but this official update does not).

In case you miss it, cefs.mbn is never used (the original TPT method doesn't use it either) as the settings (IMEI etc) are stored on that part and overwriting those isn't something TPT should do.

The header in the official update is padded with zeroes up to 0x400, though oemsbl only reads the first 20 items (up to offset 0x224, for the whole header).

A block of 128 bytes (zeroes) is added to the end of image.bin, with "ZTE SOFTWARE UPDATE PACKAGE" at offset 0x40 of it.

Again, though, double check this if you can. I can't test this myself as i have my original (gen1) oemsbl.

ztepack.zip

Guest wbaw

great work, cpg, really appreciate it. if i run ztepack -x & then ztepack -p the resulting image.bin doesn't exactly match the original.

Guest cpg

If it's only the 0x1e in the header - my code puts it there as a (redundant) end marker. If the length is correct (index 0x40), the 0x1e item will never be processed.

The file format allows for different ordering of the files, but when i quickly tested this version, it only showed that single byte difference to me.

Guest wbaw
If it's only the 0x1e in the header - my code puts it there as a (redundant) end marker. If the length is correct (index 0x40), the 0x1e item will never be processed.

The file format allows for different ordering of the files, but when i quickly tested this version, it only showed that single byte difference to me.

Great job then :unsure:

I just did md5sum & saw they were different.

I'll have to see if I can compile it for the phone & use it for my tpt backup & repartition tool.

Guest hecatae

wont install on a cm7.0.3, off to find a stock 2.2 and try the internal update

edit same issue as previous uv880 rom, romdumping now

edit: this changes your amss.mbn and you will not get network in the uk

baseband version P729J_GENERICB01

P729CUV1.0.0B13

Edited by hecatae

wont install on a cm7.0.3, off to find a stock 2.2 and try the internal update

edit same issue as previous uv880 rom, romdumping now

edit: this changes your amss.mbn and you will not get network in the uk

baseband version P729J_GENERICB01

P729CUV1.0.0B13

Will this give you a network in the USA and Canada?

Guest fonix232

I guess yes, this should enable 850MHz band (used in China) with the other China-wide bands, that's why it won't work in the UK.

cpg, great work on the code, I will begin to remake it in C# with a nice GUI :unsure: Maybe an MBN/Partition handler + YAFFS2 manager too?

Guest shmizan

why does the addition of 850 MHz mean disabling of UK supported bands?

and can we expect an update out of this to enable 850 MHz band?

Guest Ralph Martin

China Unicom do NOT use 850MHz, they use 900MHz. I am 100% sure of this as I used my stock Orange San Francisco there (before modding it). Other operators also use 900Mhz.

Guest fonix232
China Unicom do NOT use 850MHz, they use 900MHz. I am 100% sure of this as I used my stock Orange San Francisco there (before modding it). Other operators also use 900Mhz.

There was word about it, that some operators use American bands, that's what I think may cause the problem. Or the chinese Blade is different not by RAM but by radio chipset too.