[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Reffy
Sorry, that post wasn't really aimed at you personally, it was kind of a general response for anyone reading! I know you are more than capable, as you fixed openvpn previously! :D I have a bug tracker if you are interested in having a look at the current issues we are working on? Drop me a PM if you would like to be involved man!

newbe5

I'm quite versed in Linux, can easily understand logs and could POSSIBLY be an assistance to the project. If you require any assistance, I'm more than willing to help from around next Tuesday until September. Not 24/7, obviously but you get the gist.

Guest Scanno
Sorry, that post wasn't really aimed at you personally, it was kind of a general response for anyone reading! I know you are more than capable, as you fixed openvpn previously! :D I have a bug tracker if you are interested in having a look at the current issues we are working on? Drop me a PM if you would like to be involved man!

newbe5

Offcourse i'd like to be involved. I am running VegaComb as my main rom and like it to be as good as possible. You guys have the best overview of the bugs and if i can help to solve one or two. I guess that is the best thing to do right now...

Guest stenyboy

Guys, just posted this on tabletroms but reckoned two voices are better than one and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this.

Anyway, I just got the vega and loving it but I seem to have an issue trying to flash corvus or vegacomb roms.

I can flash modaco R8 with no issues at all from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 but when I try the above roms it doesn't boot.

I just get the backlight coming on when I reboot the device and I have to re-install stock mod from recovery usb mode then clockwork again.

Tried wiping cache data dalvik cache before flashing but still the same issue.

Thought it might be something to do with overclocking but I have read that the rom starts at 1ghz now so that's not the issue.

Is there something wrong with my Vega?

P.S. First time poster so go easy on me!

Grateful for any advice on this!

Guest HypoTurtle
Guys, just posted this on tabletroms but reckoned two voices are better than one and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this.

Anyway, I just got the vega and loving it but I seem to have an issue trying to flash corvus or vegacomb roms.

I can flash modaco R8 with no issues at all from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 but when I try the above roms it doesn't boot.

I just get the backlight coming on when I reboot the device and I have to re-install stock mod from recovery usb mode then clockwork again.

Tried wiping cache data dalvik cache before flashing but still the same issue.

Thought it might be something to do with overclocking but I have read that the rom starts at 1ghz now so that's not the issue.

Is there something wrong with my Vega?

P.S. First time poster so go easy on me!

Grateful for any advice on this!

Just a few questions to try and find the problem:

How long did you leave it on after flashing?

What came on the CWM screen after flashing honeycomb?

Did you try forcing the tablet to turn off and rebooting it?

I'd have to say that there is probably nothing wrong with your vega and the people on the vega forums are very helpful, just for ease of mind there is generally an issue when first upgrading the android version i.e. people have had issues moving from stock/R8/Corvus5 which are on 2.2 (Froyo) when moving to CM7 which is 2.3 (Gingerbread) and there would be similar issues when moving to 3.0.1 with VegaComb.

The main issue beng that you need to make sure the old system is completely eradicated before flashing the new ROM, i.e. cache, factory reset AND dalvik cache need to be cleared. If the setup in CWM recovery says that setup is complete then a forced reboot may be all thats required. Of note if memory recalls the first boot of VegaComb takes longer than usual.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest stenyboy

I'd have to say that there is probably nothing wrong with your vega and the people on the vega forums are very helpful, just for ease of mind there is generally an issue when first upgrading the android version i.e. people have had issues moving from stock/R8/Corvus5 which are on 2.2 (Froyo) when moving to CM7 which is 2.3 (Gingerbread) and there would be similar issues when moving to 3.0.1 with VegaComb.

The main issue beng that you need to make sure the old system is completely eradicated before flashing the new ROM, i.e. cache, factory reset AND dalvik cache need to be cleared. If the setup in CWM recovery says that setup is complete then a forced reboot may be all thats required. Of note if memory recalls the first boot of VegaComb takes longer than usual.

Hi thanks for the quick response.

I only left it on for a few minutes after flashing after that I then tried a force reboot and after leaving for a few minutes more I kind of panicked when it wouldn't boot so went back to stock.

Can't remember what came on the screen but I did get a message saying to enjoy vegacomb at the end once it completed the flash. That's when I chose the option to reboot.

I'll try again tonight and let you know what exactly it says.

Thanks again for the help.

Guest newbe5
Hi thanks for the quick response.

I only left it on for a few minutes after flashing after that I then tried a force reboot and after leaving for a few minutes more I kind of panicked when it wouldn't boot so went back to stock.

Can't remember what came on the screen but I did get a message saying to enjoy vegacomb at the end once it completed the flash. That's when I chose the option to reboot.

I'll try again tonight and let you know what exactly it says.

Thanks again for the help.

First boot after initial flash can take a really long time. Try and be patient and hopefully it will boot eventually! (But after 10 mins give up ;))

newbe5

Guest HypoTurtle
Mostly, common sense and patience ;) A lot of what you need to do to get stuff working is just trial and error. Make sure you know how to use ADB, learn chmod, chown, and other linux commands. Read up on how busybox and toolbox work, research the internals and just mess around and see what happens when you change stuff. Something works in CM7, but not in VegaComb? OK, copy files form CM7 over the top of the ones in VC, play around, CHMOD, brick, reflash, try again, different file, keep going etc etc. It's not ALL that, and tbh most of the actual file porting has now been done, but you get the idea. The memory tables can be tweaked and played with, anything in the init.rc can be changed, recompile the kernel from GIT if you know how and make changes there, reflash, test etc etc. Then there is the deeper stuff, like smali/baksmali editing of .apk and .jar files, as well as pulling apart the libraries and seeing if they can be hacked to work differently (which is how the camera will need to be fixed imo).

To be honest, a huge amount of it is just time, which I don't have a massive abundance of. People have fixed things already on this forum, for stuff can't even test (like 3G) and it might just be that with a lot of trial and error, an accidental fix could be found for something else. While we soldier on, we also keep quiet hope that someone will get a newer kernel (.36 or newer) working on the Vega, as this will hopefully give development a boost and make things work more smoothly (although I doubt this will be a magic pill).

The only advice I can really give, is dive in, be prepared to spend a lot of time getting nowhere, keep trying, google a lot, get on IRC on irc.freenode.net and join ##adamroot, #villainrom and (maybe, but there isn't much activity in:) #modaco. And as questions etc in there. This is how I've got here, I had basically no clue about any of this stuff when I got my Vega. Sure, I'd hacked around with my Hero, editing smkall things and getting a general feel for the way Android works, but the Vega has really pushed me to learn more.

Don't be afraid! You can't brick the Vega!

newbe5

Hi, Newbe5

Currenly running Corvus0.5, hadn't tried it previously and thought I'd give it ago, and was surprised by the speed especially as there is no overclocking or increasing the min speed but this could be due to not being full of apps. As you only mention CM7 could I conclude that all the goodness from Corvus0.5 and Corvus5 (and hense R8) has been utilised within VegaComb?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but would I be right in thinking that with Corvus5 you worked mainly with the GUI while Corvus worked with the internals/kernal improvements? And that he took you under his wing and showed youo the intricacies of Android? Just the impression I got - I think mainly due to your excellent themes.

Thanks for the list by the way have been meaning to dabble in android development and that list is a great start, I tend to pick up a few 'hobbies' over the summer when I should be revising for resits. Last year this involved amongst others how to create different 3D entertainment systems and how to create a Microsoft Surface like computer.

Keep up the good work.

Guest CrArC

Just thought I'd chip in on the subject of 216MHz frequency locks.

Most of us have probably noticed by now that the problem manifests when waking the tablet from sleep (or sometime in between sleeping and waking, anyway).

However, I've noticed it only seems to lock at 216MHz consistently when booted in USB host mode.

In fact, I can't recall it ever having locked at 216MHz in USB slave mode at all, not since VegaComb 1.5.

Is there any reason why this might be happening?

Guest premieral
Just thought I'd chip in on the subject of 216MHz frequency locks.

Most of us have probably noticed by now that the problem manifests when waking the tablet from sleep (or sometime in between sleeping and waking, anyway).

However, I've noticed it only seems to lock at 216MHz consistently when booted in USB host mode.

In fact, I can't recall it ever having locked at 216MHz in USB slave mode at all, not since VegaComb 1.5.

Is there any reason why this might be happening?

i never use host mode CrArC and mine froze at 216 yesterday, so i did what every one else has advised and dumped setcpu for cpumaster and so far freeze free ;)

Guest CrArC
i never use host mode CrArC and mine froze at 216 yesterday, so i did what every one else has advised and dumped setcpu for cpumaster and so far freeze free :P

Ah yes, I forgot to mention i dumped setcpu too! Yes, I got rid of that a long time ago, and that seemed to end 216MHz outside of host mode.

Premieral, if you ever happen to flick to host mode, keep an eye out for the lockup again! Would be interesting to know if it's consistent across our vegas ;)

Guest premieral
Ah yes, I forgot to mention i dumped setcpu too! Yes, I got rid of that a long time ago, and that seemed to end 216MHz outside of host mode.

Premieral, if you ever happen to flick to host mode, keep an eye out for the lockup again! Would be interesting to know if it's consistent across our vegas ;)

i will switch it now and then let you know if (when) it freezes

Guest xzyk
i will switch it now and then let you know if (when) it freezes

I also noticed that in USB Host mode this happens more often. SetCPU also seems to make it happen more regular. I've tried CPU Master in slave mode and that went without a hitch for a good week, but then i got the lock again. I'm now testing CPU tuner (again in slave mode only) and so far (4 days) its been good. So to summarize:

1. SetCPU and/or Host USB mode seems to make the 216 lock-up happen more often.

2. In Slave mode it happened to me only once (in 1 week) using CPU Master.

I usually set to 456-1400 (normal) and 456-800 (for screen off).

When everything is working fine there is no doubt this is one of the slickest roms out there, it's make my Vega a pleasure to use.

EDIT; Apologies guys, I didn't realise this was the VegaComb thread cause we were discussing this on the Corvus5 thread also. I am currently using Corvus5.

Edited by xzyk

Guest Jisonga

Just a quick back track but i just read about flashing problems for vegacomb.

Could it be down to CWM version. I see the one listed begins with a 2 but the version i have been using off this forum is a version begining with 3 and has never failed to work.

Could be an old version of CWM causing all the problems, might be worth a try.

Jason.

Guest stenyboy

Hi Guys, thanks to Hypoturtle & newbe5 for the suggestions.

Tried to flash Vegacomb again tonight but still getting the same issue. Noticed this time I got the following error when doing the dalvik cache.

E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2

(No such file or Diretory)

Looked to have flashed ok, rebooted Vega. Waited 10mins for it to boot powered off, waited ten mins more but nothing after a further 10 minutes.

Have formated the SD card but I am beginning to think it's the vega.

Any sugestions as I am desperate to try this ROM

Guest newbe5
Hi Guys, thanks to Hypoturtle & newbe5 for the suggestions.

Tried to flash Vegacomb again tonight but still getting the same issue. Noticed this time I got the following error when doing the dalvik cache.

E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2

(No such file or Diretory)

Looked to have flashed ok, rebooted Vega. Waited 10mins for it to boot powered off, waited ten mins more but nothing after a further 10 minutes.

Have formated the SD card but I am beginning to think it's the vega.

Any sugestions as I am desperate to try this ROM

Do you have a different SD card you can try to install it from?

Guest ju88a

As Newbe says try another sdcard, the errors relate specifically to the Vega not being able to see the sdcard properly i.e mount card. other people have complained about a hardware fault with the sdcard reader in the advent so it could be that its faulty or it could be a bad sdcard.

Also formatting the sdcard in Windows has proved to be a problem for some people so format the card in the vega or linux pc to be sure.

Guest xathras

I'm posting this to encourage others in pursuit of the elusive fullscreen control. I can usually get TVCatchup full screen in less than a dozen prods.

post-797214-1307627020_thumb.png

Guest SWOriginal
I'm posting this to encourage others in pursuit of the elusive fullscreen control. I can usually get TVCatchup full screen in less than a dozen prods.

The main problem for me is the youtube HD videos in the app, & most sites that have flash video have rgb ghosting and a green bar.. even the TV app in the market that's stream TV shows are affected as you can't select quality.

For now if you rely on flash video & YouTube & prefer the status bar on the bottem cyanogenmod7 is the way to go (1 bug regarding the market carrousel disappearing n related apps not showing) .

Guest diamondgar
The main problem for me is the youtube HD videos in the app, & most sites that have flash video have rgb ghosting and a green bar.. even the TV app in the market that's stream TV shows are affected as you can't select quality.

For now if you rely on flash video & YouTube & prefer the status bar on the bottem cyanogenmod7 is the way to go (1 bug regarding the market carrousel disappearing n related apps not showing) .

yep, i just flashed back to CM7 and not only does it have decent flash playback but it also is generally quicker and more stable for me. the team have done great work with VegaComb but it is hard to see it passing CM7 without a better source to start from (possibly Adam or Smartbook going to honeycomb). Until then im sticking with CM7.

Guest mxbob

interesting

so does yours look ok when you get it in fullscreen

i can get flash playing fullscreen but have odd colours and artifacts

Guest BlackCat^

Are you using some specific version of Flash there to get it working without the "green bar" and odd colour issues?

Every Flash apk I have tried hasn't allowed full screen without odd colours yet yours looks perfect.

Guest xathras
Are you using some specific version of Flash there to get it working without the "green bar" and odd colour issues?

Every Flash apk I have tried hasn't allowed full screen without odd colours yet yours looks perfect.

The screenshot is taken from TVCatchup running in the stock Vegacomb browser (I'm running Vegacomb 1.5.2 @ 312/1200MHz & Flash 10.3). It doesn't use standard Flash, if I read Google correctly. When playing, the overall quality is good, but it still suffers from the "little whiite lines". The breaking news strapline on the BBC News channel moves more smoothly in TVCatchup than it does in the BBC site, which uses standard Flash. With standard Flash I sometimes get the unsynched colours, sometimes not.

Guest premieral

Premieral, if you ever happen to flick to host mode, keep an eye out for the lockup again! Would be interesting to know if it's consistent across our vegas :P

Ok been on host mode since yesterday afternoon and just had to reboot to unfreeze cpu ;) so now back on slave mode and will see if it lasts any longer

Guest stenyboy
As Newbe says try another sdcard, the errors relate specifically to the Vega not being able to see the sdcard properly i.e mount card. other people have complained about a hardware fault with the sdcard reader in the advent so it could be that its faulty or it could be a bad sdcard.

Also formatting the sdcard in Windows has proved to be a problem for some people so format the card in the vega or linux pc to be sure.

Hi Guys,

Back again with my Vegacomb woes, tried another SD card and the same thing happens.

Tried formatting the SD card from the Vega but has made no difference. If I completely wipe the SD card I get a similar message about E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2 but it says that this time the file exists. So i mounted the SD card and put on the Vegacomb ROM but still get the blank screen.

I guess I can rule out the SD card as I can use clockworkmod no problem in my phone and can wipe the dalvik cache on my phone.

Looking like the Vega but how can I explain the error to Currys to get another one?

Thanks again for the help but looks like I've got a duff Vega when it comes to using this ROM.