MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Hi all,

Since battery life of our device seems to be a hot topic that has started to take over the MCR main topic, I decided to try to move it here. I was one of the (many) users experiencing a massive battery drain, beeing on stock or custom ROM, since I decided to start back from scratch. I fully charged the device, NVFlashed the original ROM - which anyone can find in one of the sticky threads here - set up my google account and others e-mail, uninstalled my external SD-Card and disabled automatic upgrade check in the settings menu. I purposely didn't install any APP from the market (OK, left alone 'Spare Parts', which I needed for this test), because I wanted to exclude any possible cause of unwanted data or CPU usage. I didn't set up my FaceBook account.

The first day I left active the weather widget, which as everyone know is a greedy battery eater, and just used the phone as usual. The result was a nice 16 hours before the low battery alert, but I must admit it was on light usage. During this period, Wi-Fi and 3G were active all the time.

After a full charge, today in the morning I removed the LG weather widget, activated the Google one, killed the 'Car Home' process and finally unplugged the device: to my surprise I noticed that now, after 4h30', I'm at 96% after some texting and a brief check of my e-mail accounts (one of them made me download some data, as I received 4 html messages). The battery information menu, as usual, tells me that phone stand-by alone is responsible for 50% of the battery usage, but one could argue that 50% of very little consumption can be plausible.

I'm not sure this will be permanent: I read somewhere that someone else experienced sporadic episodes of very low battery drain before returning to the usual battery carnage. I just want to keep using the phone for some days in this state and see if anything changes, expecially if I have to reboot it.

As a final note, I hope other users would be willing to focus the battery discussion here. This topic could become a good source of information about battery usage of this phone.

Guest masi0

i cannot confirm 100% but i was messing with battery stats a little bit and seems that lg.carhome is draining sensors a lot even if its not in use.

also data is constantly used while having the lg weather widget as well.

i would recommend to delete carhome.apk and not use the weather widget.

since 7am I have now 86% of battery yet while some sms/phone calls

also hsdpa is on + gmail push + mobileme email sync every 2hrs

i havent wipe battery stats yet - i will do that in the next charing session :unsure:

Guest MillyMoo

My problem on both stock and fr15 was Dialer is using some crazy amounts of Partial Wake but i havent seen anyone else say this. Its used 28 minutes out of an hour and 15 minutes today. It's around 5% an hour.

I removed CarHome because of the sensor usage.

Edited by MillyMoo

Guest wille123
My problem on both stock and fr15 was Dialer is using some crazy amounts of Partial Wake but i havent seen anyone else say this. Its used 28 minutes out of an hour and 15 minutes today. It's around 5% an hour.

I have it to

Guest o2mike

Dialer?

Maybe it is a bug with the proximity sensor then.

@RotoTrol

I have the stock Rom running and have very different battery usage experiences.

I have a lot of Apps installed.

What I have found out is that if I have a day, on which my battery runs out rather fast and I reboot the phone, the battery lasts very long on the following day.

I guess it must be some not properly killed Apps using sensors or stuff when I didn't do a reboot for a long time.

I will try to switch off and reboot the phone every morning to check if the battery consumption is affected by that.

Guest d-droid

I think I had the Dialer problem when still on Stock. I disabled data when not using it and the problem went away if I remember right. Going to try it on Fr15 as well because this is crazy and having to switch of data all the time is a bit annoying although it does save juice.

Edited by d-droid

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Ok, this is weird.

Yesterday I got back home after 9 hours with 79% battery and I was quite pleased with the result, considering that Wi-Fi, 3G and autosync were on all the time. I then downloaded and installed a clock and date widget named 'Retro Clock', which doesn't need any particular authorization to be installed and my battery level started plummeting: it was at 31% when I plugged the phone back in for the night.

Today I set up my FB account, which is in autosync too, and removed the date and time widget. I'll monitor the discharge process to see where I will end up in the evening.

Guest MillyMoo
Ok, this is weird.

Yesterday I got back home after 9 hours with 79% battery and I was quite pleased with the result, considering that Wi-Fi, 3G and autosync were on all the time. I then downloaded and installed a clock and date widget named 'Retro Clock', which doesn't need any particular authorization to be installed and my battery level started plummeting: it was at 31% when I plugged the phone back in for the night.

It sounds like your battery isn't reading correctly there. Try using this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.n...terycalibration

Has any people with Dialer drain tried CM7 to see if it happens there too?

Guest masi0

I am very supprised you all complain on battery life. Mine unit since OTB is perfectly lasting 2 FULL days without compromises, however O2x code name in Poland is Swift 2x - this part was just received by LG Poland recently from Korea, so have no idea if some HW adjustments weren't made comparing to the first part of pre ordered units..

Guest mankian

is that a 1500mah?? mine would only last that long on aeroplane mode.

if i take off charge at 7:30am with 100%, the phone will do 24 hours:

6 hours in an area of poor signal

most usage is texting, sending quite a few though

about 30 mins spent browsing on 3G, mobile data switched off when not in use

messing about with some apps and using wifi for about 15-20mins

then all night in aeroplane mode

then it would literally be less than 5%

Guest destesi
Hi Paul, it's my first post so first of all let me thank you for your great work on this device.

In reply of your request I can describe my experience: I tried Fr12 and Fr14 with normal behaviour when it comes to battery.

Then I tried Fr15:

* restore factory default from recovery

* wiped cache and dalvik cache

* installed FR15

* recovered all the application with Titanium backup

First day of use I've found no lag after app install (as in Fr12-14) but the battery lasted 1/3 less than the previous installation.

Then I tried to wipe the battery stats as suggested from someone and made two cycle of recharge from 20% to 100%. But the battery lasted nearly the same amount of time.

My setup is 3G active from 8.30 A.M. to 18.00 A.M. then Wifi when at home (using tasker). At 18.30 Fr15 battery was nearly depleted. An Fr12 was beetween 30% to 40%. With 3g/Wifi disabled even Fr15 lasts forever.

Tonight I'll try to bake a new FR15 without LG stuff, only AOSP and see if if make any difference in the next days. If there is a preferred way to install/test it other than what reported above then all advice/hints are welcome.

Quoting myself from FR15 thread. Don't know if it can be of use to anyone but I think I'll share my experience.

I baked yesterday evening a new FR15 rom only with AOSP stuff (with the exception of the LG keyboard) and installed with a full wipe. This is the kitchen options.

Today I used the phone as always. 3G always on, Wifi in the evening, a little bit of browsing, some email, some sms, 30 minutes of phone calls.

The only widget active was "analog clock".

The only setting changed was the one about "gestures". The only one I let on was the one that let you change the cursor position with a tap.

At 8.00 I disconnected the phone from the power source. 100% battery.

10.30 was at 90% of battery.

13.30 80%

18.30 50%

20.30 35%

As I'm writing, at 21.35 battery is at 31%.

So, previously was having doubt about FR15 battery life, as many others, but after a clean install (without apps/widgets) I can say that the battery lasts long enough, as any the other FR builds that I tried in the past month. Now will try to install some apps and see what happens.

EDIT: second day with FR15 and the results are really good.

This time having twitter and facebook with a two hour sync in place plus some other apps (newspapers and such)

At 8.00 I disconnected the phone from the power source. 100% battery.

10.31 92%

12.30 87%

13.30 82%

15.30 70%

18.30 61%

20.00 33% (used Endomondo to track with GPS 30 minutes of running. Then made some photos and one video)

20.30 29%

01.30 17%

With this I stop the test and can say that for me FR15 is good and my previous install was broken in some way. Now time to try FR16, and if it's better than this... wow! :unsure:

Guest dave_a
Fr16 kitchen online, which will, I hope, improve battery life. Let's see!

P

FR16 has been a definite improvement for me today. Been on a training course all week and so similar usage each day, i.e the odd phone call but mainly on standby. After being fully charged at 7am, I would normally now (3pm ish) be around 65% or lower. Today is 80%. Never been at 80% at this time of the day before

Edited by dave_a

Guest TheSacredSoul

Yep, me too.

post-300297-1305299518_thumb.png

Guest TheSacredSoul
I'm working on trying to fix this for Fr16 release!

P

Thank you! I just checked again after a fresh boot and dialer still ends up on top, without even opening it. Thanks again man! :unsure:

Btw, I suspected it was LG dialer's fault and flashed stock Google dialer over. Same problem.

Edited by TheSacredSoul

Guest 1nf3rn0
I'm working on trying to fix this for Fr16 release!

P

We all believe in your skills paul, you can fix it :unsure:

Just flashed Fr16 but spare parts tell me the same about the dialer...

Guest TheSacredSoul
We all believe in your skills paul, you can fix it :unsure:

Just flashed Fr16 but spare parts tell me the same about the dialer...

Did you do a full wipe and wiped the battery stats too?

Guest TheSacredSoul
Alright, here's something to check out. If you're having high Dialer usage, please delete /system/app/ContactsWidget.apk, reboot your device and see how your usage goes.

P

Hmm I dont have it... I only see Contacts.apk and ContactsProvider.apk. :unsure:

Guest TheSacredSoul
Hmmm, you unchecked LG Widgets in the build I assume? It's not that then. :unsure:

P

I am using FearKill's from based on FR15 from Xda. Probably thats why :)

But I'd love to help out in anyway I can. This dialer issue is of immediate concern, at least for me. A phone without juice is just paperweight afterall :P

Edited by TheSacredSoul