Car holder for S2

Guest geekboyuk

Guest geekboyuk

I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for phone holders for the SGS2.

Preferably I don't want a screen mounted one. The Clingo looks good but I'm not sure that the rough plastic back of the S2 would be suitable to hold properly (although it is listed as compatible!)

Thoughts? Ideas? What do you use?

Thank you :unsure:

Guest c0m47053

Someone over on XDA is using the Breffo SpiderPodium, and seems pretty positive with it. Upside is that is is universal and transferable to future/alternative devices.

There are a few other discussions over there on car mounts as well.

Guest geekboyuk

Thank you - this may be an option. I like the design of it and think it'll look quite interesting in my car, unlike a lot of the other, bulkier, types.

Guest c0m47053

Yeah, I am considering it myself now. Some of the examples are pretty cool, smartphone on a pram is awesome!

buggy.jpg

Edited by c0m47053

Guest geekboyuk

I wasn't too sure about it as I want something that looks good in my car (don't want to spoil a lovely Alfa's looks!). Thinking about how bulky some other designs are I've gone and ordered one. From other reviews they appear pretty stable as well :unsure:

Guest c0m47053

Cool, feel free to post a review when you get it. I think the minimal look would suit an Alfa, particularly if you had a spider.

Edited by c0m47053

Guest prusling
The Clingo looks good but I'm not sure that the rough plastic back of the S2 would be suitable to hold properly (although it is listed as compatible!)

I have a Clingo - it holds the phone very well, in fact so well that the back cover is pulled off when removing (which makes me nervous as it doesn't look as though it will take many removals/reattachments...)!

I have just bought a Case-Mate Barely There case which looks smooth enough on the back to attach well to the Clingo and hopefully can be removed safely.

Guest TheMathMan

It fits nicely into the official Nokia N8 car holder surprisingly... even with the official S2 hard case... although you need to slide it in which is more awkward.

It is a great quality holder with nice soft rubber pads in contact with the phone and it is sprung to hold the phone in place.

Guest travisb

As I mentioned over at XDA, I have an expandable iphone 3gs Brodit mount that works fine with the SII (I have a cheap gel skin on it)

Guest SUPAD
I have a Clingo - it holds the phone very well, in fact so well that the back cover is pulled off when removing (which makes me nervous as it doesn't look as though it will take many removals/reattachments...)!

I have just bought a Case-Mate Barely There case which looks smooth enough on the back to attach well to the Clingo and hopefully can be removed safely.

I confirm, the back cover gets away on clingo, i'm waiting for my "case-mate barely there", did it do the job for you ?

Guest Junior Bear

I had a clingo. Was a great idea. But got annoyed with it dropping the phone everyday after two weeks of use. Even after cleaning it. Threw it in the bin.

Guest UKLooney

Hi,

I'm developing an app for Android and am looking at upgrading to the galaxy s2 to help with development. The app records in car video/gps/obd2 footage and needs to be mounted in a cardock on the windscreen. My question is, can you record video when the phone is in the official Samsung car dock? From pics, it looks like the camera lens is obscured, but there may be a pop out panel???

28967.jpg

Here is an example of a recording made with the app

Better alternative?

Thanks

Edited by UKLooney

Guest prusling
I confirm, the back cover gets away on clingo, i'm waiting for my "case-mate barely there", did it do the job for you ?

Clingo held the case firmly but I couldn't get on with the case (found the edges rough and sharp) so took it back. I've now got a cheap gel case from eBay which does nothing for the phone's up-market image but seems to protect it more effectively - and Clingo holds onto it like a limpet!

Guest Komatoes
Hi,

I'm developing an app for Android...

Can't answer your question, but very cool app! :D I don't think you will get an answer until somebody has one...

Guest Komatoes

I'm in two minds whether to get a Clingo or Spiderpodium. I think the Clingo would be OK as I have a Barely There case on, so I wouldn't get any damage to the phones back cover. I would have tried the Spiderpodium, but the black one is more money than the white one which you can get for £7.99 delivered from Amazon UK. For that price I would have given it a go, but don't want white! :D

Guest Rob_1973
Hi,

I'm developing an app for Android and am looking at upgrading to the galaxy s2 to help with development. The app records in car video/gps/obd2 footage and needs to be mounted in a cardock on the windscreen. My question is, can you record video when the phone is in the official Samsung car dock? From pics, it looks like the camera lens is obscured, but there may be a pop out panel???

28967.jpg

Here is an example of a recording made with the app

Better alternative?

Thanks

Hi, the official car dock has a cut out on the back for the camera. Due to the wide angle of the camera you would need to mount the holder about 1/2 way up the screen or you get 1/2 the frame showing windscreen wipers.

Guest UKLooney
Hi, the official car dock has a cut out on the back for the camera. Due to the wide angle of the camera you would need to mount the holder about 1/2 way up the screen or you get 1/2 the frame showing windscreen wipers.
Got one and came back to post a reply. Works great ;)

Guest ianst28

post-764547-1307916795_thumb.jpgjust ordered a brodit holder for my sgs2

i went for the brodit one because although it is a bit more expensive the one i had for my nexus 1 was superb and their car mount system is brilliant too

now to order a new handsfree kit ........ damn you parrot why are you so expensive !!!

Guest Al_Jolson

There are loads of this type of car holder on eBay now (with different means of attachment e.g. suction cup, vent clip etc etc). I got one the other day and it's a perfect fit. It fitted the generic suction cup arm that I had for my equivalent HTC Hero car holder, so if you've also already got one with the generic 4 clips then you need only pay about £2 for the holder piece.

post-780174-1308225892_thumb.jpg

Guest Genieuk

The only problem with some of these car holders is thatif in my case you have a case around the phone, then you have to take it off. I've have a very thin gel case, and would still need to take it off.

Also I found that the one pictured above can sometime scratch the phone as you insert it and take it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...