Dell Streak 5 v2

Guest austreaker

Guest austreaker

A discussion on the next Dell Streak 5 for Dell to consider.

Currently there are no other phones that matches the Dell Streak 5 screen estate and we are all bless with this unique phone. In my opinion it is better than the new Samsung Galaxy S 2.

The current Dell Streak 5 offers almost laptop like web browsing and handles all my emails and meeting with ease. However, here are the improvements needed

-keep the screen estate at 5"-5.6" while maintaining the same current dimension of the Dell Streak 5, but make the screen resolution at 1024*600. This is because I don't zoom in and would read straight away when surfing website. However, I have to turn on the font to Large and this makes the website display text awkwardly

-dual core as when surfing, it tends to be a couple of seconds longer than on a laptop

-battery capacity to >2000mah. I am currently using the Mugen 4800 mah but is naked as there are no cases to protect.

Amoled screen, 8mp camera etc are just bonuses for me.

What are your needs for imporovement?

Edited by austreaker

Guest sharptv
A discussion on the next Dell Streak 5 for Dell to consider.

Currently there are no other phones that matches the Dell Streak 5 screen estate and we are all bless with this unique phone. In my opinion it is better than the new Samsung Galaxy S 2.

The current Dell Streak 5 offers almost laptop like web browsing and handles all my emails and meeting with ease. However, here are the improvements needed

-keep the screen estate at 5"-5.6" while maintaining the same current dimension of the Dell Streak 5, but make the screen resolution at 1024*600. This is because I don't zoom in and would read straight away when surfing website. However, I have to turn on the font to Large and this makes the website display text awkwardly

-dual core as when surfing, it tends to be a couple of seconds longer than on a laptop

-battery capacity to >2000mah. I am currently using the Mugen 4800 mah but is naked as there are no cases to protect.

Amoled screen, 8mp camera etc are just bonuses for me.

What are your needs for imporovement?

a proper 1280x720 hd screen, 1gb of ddr3 ram(the acer hc tablet has it). 1.5ghz dual core tegra t25, 12mp camera and s-amoled plus. i am more than willing to pay over 2k for such specs.

Guest rebski

Ahh, a wish list for the Streak 5 V2, my second favourite topic.

A while ago I saw a brief tech news item that Sharp or someone had developed a 6" retina display screen. I am sorry but I can't find the link anywhere.

Honeycomb provides for the buttons to be activated on the screen so there is no need for a wasted oversize bezel area at each end.

So if Dell was to keep the bezel to a minimalist size all round then we could have a 6" device that corresponds pretty well to the overall dimensions of a 5" Streak.

a proper 1280x720 hd screen, 1gb of ddr3 ram(the acer hc tablet has it). 1.5ghz dual core tegra t25, 12mp camera and s-amoled plus. i am more than willing to pay over 2k for such specs.

No real argument from me but I would be inclined to hold out for a Tegra 3 which will start coming out around August time from what I read.

BTW Amazon has announced that they are considering a 6" tablet but what that is likely to be is up in the air at the moment

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news/rumor...g-this-holiday/

Guest fards

and proper stereo speakers along top and bottom edges!

and a couple of them given out to the devs to make them work better would be nice too..

Edited by fards

Guest undrwater

I kind of wish maybe that Dell would actually make it, instead of branding it. All of this plausible deniability stuff gets tiring. Beyond that, optimized code would be really nice, and a means for hardware drivers to be api'ed so the ROM devs can have an easy go at modifications.

Guest coronet
and proper stereo speakers along top and bottom edges!

and a couple of them given out to the devs to make them work better would be nice too..

This would be great! At the moment if I want to listen to music or a podcast, I have to lay the phone upside-down on a surface (or the sound will be muffled) or carefully set the speaker edge out and hope the phone doesn't see-saw to the floor. Another fault is because the speaker points BEHIND rather than ahead or two the side, it can be hard to show someone a YouTube video in a loud atmosphere, for example. Your elegant solution seems to fix all problems with the way the speakers are now. I like that.

Guest alert_bri

I'm concerned that Dell don't seem to have a good relationship with Google... HTC, Acer, Motorolla etc all seem to be plugged into Android development and support - with high profile tablets being released and in the news. Meanwhile, we are relying on one man.. dj_steve to maintain the Dell Streak and Dell really should be whipped for building the *perfect* tablet size without decent Android support. For heavens sake, at least release all the drivers and documentation to allow the volunteer developers to do the job for you... They're doing it for the benefit of your users.

I love my Dell Streak, and would buy a refreshed model, provided dj_steve doesn't get poached by a hardware manufacturer with 2 brain cells to rub together.

Cheers

Brian

Guest frostmore

Be more open with their source file and release their drivers...(for willing/volunteer developers)

I can live with the hardware,its the software that gets me.

Guest austreaker
Be more open with their source file and release their drivers...(for willing/volunteer developers)

I can live with the hardware,its the software that gets me.

for me its the opposite. i think dj steve final 1.9 does everything i need and very stable.

+audio re-adjustment to front

But i.am wondering how many users of dell streak 5 uses pinch and zoom for.web browsing?

i don't but have to turn on large fonts size which sometimes cuts.of.headings and titles which is annoying

Guest Djp42
for me its the opposite. i think dj steve final 1.9 does everything i need and very stable.

Same here....until he brings out 2.3.3 :P

Guest fards
This would be great! At the moment if I want to listen to music or a podcast, I have to lay the phone upside-down on a surface (or the sound will be muffled) or carefully set the speaker edge out and hope the phone doesn't see-saw to the floor. Another fault is because the speaker points BEHIND rather than ahead or two the side, it can be hard to show someone a YouTube video in a loud atmosphere, for example. Your elegant solution seems to fix all problems with the way the speakers are now. I like that.

Ha. Got an easy fix for that as well...

Don't dangle it, stuck something a mm or two thick,such as a matchstick, underneath it to raise it by the speaker which is still pointing at the table. Table (shinier the better) becomes a Soundboard... instant passive amplifier ..

Much safer

Guest austreaker
Ha. Got an easy fix for that as well...

Don't dangle it, stuck something a mm or two thick,such as a matchstick, underneath it to raise it by the speaker which is still pointing at the table. Table (shinier the better) becomes a Soundboard... instant passive amplifier ..

Much safer

Although I complained about no cases for the mugen 4800 mah battery which raises the streak 5 higher by 8mm, it kinda play music fine without the muffle sound........never thought about it....and I was actually moving to the mugen 1800 mah battery since I have a leather case to protect it.......

We can't have it all can we :P

Actually has anyone measure the current dimension of the streak 5 inch screen edge to edge diagonally to see how far the screen estate can increase without overall increasing the size of the streak?

My guess would be 5.6 inch.....

Guest frostmore

+audio re-adjustment to front

But i.am wondering how many users of dell streak 5 uses pinch and zoom for.web browsing?

i don't but have to turn on large fonts size which sometimes cuts.of.headings and titles which is annoying

Don't get me wrong,I am ok with DJ steve's 1.9.0.Infact if it wasn't for him,I would have sold 2 of my streak long ago(though i am selling one right now).

The streak's hardware is very impressive.I love the hugh screen especially.Makes watching movies a complete pleasure as compared to a 4.3 incher.

However,due to the fact that dell is being anal about releasing the information about the sources they used and also breaking the copy left rule,makes cooking customised roms all the more harder.what's more,with so many streak users around,we only got 1 cook,albiet a very impressive and dedicated one.

some things i dun like about the streak are the proprietary connector,the location of the earphone hole and the stupid battery cover.looking at htc,samsung and lg,dell could learn a thing or 2 from them....then again,you'll have to wonder if they(dell) will ever get it.

new streak or not,they are just following microshaft's method of doing business.discard support for their product(htc hd2) if its not popular and announce a new product(hd7) leaving consumers with the bill.

i had the hd2 running on winmo,hated the crap out of it,then came android on sd and finally on nand (31/12/2010),which made me realised that software is a very important factor to a user's experience,hardware is only secondary.

Guest rebski
some things i dun like about the streak are the proprietary connector,the location of the earphone hole and the stupid battery cover.looking at htc,samsung and lg,dell could learn a thing or 2 from them....then again,you'll have to wonder if they(dell) will ever get it.

It would help with a rant if fact were to be separated from opinion.

The connection is NOT proprietary it is an industry standard called PDMI (I thought everyone knew that by now)

My opinion differs, I am not bothered by the headphone socket position, it has to go somewhere and will be in the way no matter what. Also I am perfectly fine with the battery cover.

As for Dell not being helpful, they have already said that much of the information that is requested is not theirs in the first instance to release. This is not uncommon, in my experience, I recall it being an issue with the Nokia N800 and prior to that with the later iterations of the Sharp Zaurus. Besides there is evidence of good assistance coming to the devs behind the scenes. Keep an eye on http://search.twitter.com/search?q=dmonsterprod to catch glimpses of this.

Like everyone else here I treasure DJ Steve's work. However even without it I still would retain my Streak. Dell has everyone (unlocked phones) on 2.2.2 now which is perfectly acceptable to those who haven't yet been spoiled by Steve's work. For my part I am too busy using my Streak to the fullest extent to be yearning for a smaller screen device. Why would I want a Samsung Galaxy whatever? What could it possibly give me that warrants downsizing the screen.

So, I am sorry, but don't find myself in much agreement with you.

Guest XsCode

The connector is PDMI based, and is not compatible with other PDMI cables. PDMI refers to the pin outputs, not necessarily the connector form itself.

The connection is NOT proprietary it is an industry standard called PDMI (I thought everyone knew that by now)

Guest rebski
The connector is PDMI based, and is not compatible with other PDMI cables. PDMI refers to the pin outputs, not necessarily the connector form itself.

Thank you for the clarification, I wasn't aware that there was such a distinction. This is the first mention I have seen of it.

From what you say it does rather defeat the object of having a standard in the first place.

I am not qualified to enter into a debate on the subject, the only reference source that I have looked at is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

Having read it again, it does not appear to directly corroborate your statement but I am sure you speak from direct experience.

I am aware of your knowledgeable posts so this is not to be taken as a challenge but I am happy to be directed to a more correct source of information than the one I have just referred to.

I made a definitive statement in response to the OP and I would like to inform myself more on the issue before I seek to correct anyone again.

Guest frostmore
It would help with a rant if fact were to be separated from opinion.

My opinion differs, I am not bothered by the headphone socket position, it has to go somewhere and will be in the way no matter what. Also I am perfectly fine with the battery cover.

As for Dell not being helpful, they have already said that much of the information that is requested is not theirs in the first instance to release. This is not uncommon, in my experience, I recall it being an issue with the Nokia N800 and prior to that with the later iterations of the Sharp Zaurus. Besides there is evidence of good assistance coming to the devs behind the scenes. Keep an eye on http://search.twitter.com/search?q=dmonsterprod to catch glimpses of this.

Like everyone else here I treasure DJ Steve's work. However even without it I still would retain my Streak. Dell has everyone (unlocked phones) on 2.2.2 now which is perfectly acceptable to those who haven't yet been spoiled by Steve's work. For my part I am too busy using my Streak to the fullest extent to be yearning for a smaller screen device. Why would I want a Samsung Galaxy whatever? What could it possibly give me that warrants downsizing the screen.

So, I am sorry, but don't find myself in much agreement with you.

That actually fine by me.We all have our likes and dislikes about the dell streak.

My statements and rants come from past experience from using HTC's phones and the streak.

What I was pointing out is that there is no reason to follow microshaft's way of doing business and also following apple's way of designing their products that uses propreitary cables and what nots.

User experience is very important.Its just that I put an emphasis on software more than hardware(coming from winmo 6.5 to android).

Anyways,I will still look forward to a new streak but apprehensive about getting one until i made enough observations.Hopefully there is not much hurdles for the new streak 5 than what we have now.

Oh yeah,streak on ginger is great.brings new life and freshness to our 1.9.0 streaks.

Guest alert_bri

I agree with rebski regarding the screen size... After months using the Dell Streak, I'm looking to the future, considering tablets in the 7" and above size plus the 4+" smartphones on offer and nothing compares - the 5" screen size is a minimum for me, and the Dell Streak overall dimensions a maximum... If anyone can increase the screen size and resolution / quality while decreasing the overall dimensions while retaining the battery life - that will be my ideal upgrade.

I'd love to see a folding screen version where you can't see the join when opened up. Samsung have shown the technology in the lab for that to come.

Cheers

Brian

Guest rebski

@frostmore

That actually fine by me.We all have our likes and dislikes about the dell streak.

On this forum you can expect to find hardcore 5” screeners like me who would be very reluctant to settle for much less and probably accept some minor issues such as the battery cover if that is the price to be paid.

Oh yeah,streak on ginger is great.brings new life and freshness to our 1.9.0 streaks.

I haven’t tried it yet. I find it unbelievable that at the same time he is producing a Honeycomb build.

Guest rebski

I have tried hard to verify your statement and come up against a dead end. All of my research leads me to the conclusion that PDMI is an industry standard. My reference points are

http://www.displayport.org/cms/sites/defau...al_Overview.pdf

http://www.ce.org/Standards/browseByCommittee_6322.asp

http://www.ce.org/Standards/4063.asp

http://www.ce.org/Standards/ANSI_CEA_2017_A_Preview.pdf

http://www.techce.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/834a0778168884868762d650.html

What do you have in support of what you say?

My interest here is not to score points but to get facts right.

Guest XsCode

I am not saying that PDMI isn't an industry standard, just that the connector on the Streak is not it!

Do you see a PDMI compliant logo anywhere on the cable? no? then it is not certified as a PDMI connector and cannot be legally described as such. The USB end of the cable, you will see, has the USB logo and therefore IS compliant in the same way.

None of the citations you supplied show the mechanical connector as described by the PDMI standard (the only document I am aware of that may show this costs $75), just the pinouts, which I agree is similar if not the same as a compliant PDMI connector.

Please do not think I'm being pedantic, but in the current climate of IP law (IANAL), certification is EVERYTHING, as it usually accompanies licencing.

I have tried hard to verify your statement and come up against a dead end. All of my research leads me to the conclusion that PDMI is an industry standard. My reference points are

http://www.displayport.org/cms/sites/defau...al_Overview.pdf

http://www.ce.org/Standards/browseByCommittee_6322.asp

http://www.ce.org/Standards/4063.asp

http://www.ce.org/Standards/ANSI_CEA_2017_A_Preview.pdf

http://www.techce.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/834a0778168884868762d650.html

What do you have in support of what you say?

My interest here is not to score points but to get facts right.

Guest rebski
I am not saying that PDMI isn't an industry standard, just that the connector on the Streak is not it!

Do you see a PDMI compliant logo anywhere on the cable? no? then it is not certified as a PDMI connector and cannot be legally described as such. The USB end of the cable, you will see, has the USB logo and therefore IS compliant in the same way.

None of the citations you supplied show the mechanical connector as described by the PDMI standard (the only document I am aware of that may show this costs $75), just the pinouts, which I agree is similar if not the same as a compliant PDMI connector.

Please do not think I'm being pedantic, but in the current climate of IP law (IANAL), certification is EVERYTHING, as it usually accompanies licencing.

I guess this is where we have little choice but to start getting at least a bit pedantic. :P

Your original statement was

The information that I have quoted above does seem to confirm that the connector form is indeed part of the standard.

Otherwise how would the Slacker G2 Dock work with the Streak? This is the only other implementation of PDMI that I can find.

http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/12/slacker...ell-streak.html

I take your point as regards Dell's pin outputs. The charging and synching pins work with the Slacker G2. So it seems that Dell complies with that part of the specification? Or else that Slacker and Dell agree with each other in this particular pin output implementation.

So if Dell does not completely comply with the PDMI pin outputs then the variation would refer specifically to those pin outputs used for audio and video and possibly USB 3.0?

Would you agree on that? Or are we generally just clear that Dell doesn't exactly confirm to PDMI but generally unclear as in what respects it falls short?

Linux Slate seems to be the most definitive source of information on this that I can find but even he is unable to confirm that the Streak conforms totally, e.g. in respect USB 3.0 and other features. See his blog dated 18 Aug 2010.

http://linuxslate.com/

There are inconclusive discussions here

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-strea...rs-docks-3.html

and here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/in...p/t-851194.html

Guest alert_bri

LOL, bringing sexy back? Makes a nice change from the usual nonsense I've seen where reviewers slag 5" for being too big & too small at the same time. I like the trend I'm seeing... Where smart phones are creeping up in screen size - we're already up from 4.3" to 4.5"... How long will it take for the penny to drop and we see many more handsets with the (afaic) 5" ideal?

I would still like to see the outer case shrink though... Get rid of some of that bevel.

Cheers

Brian