25 May r1: Superboot (and then some!) for the Huawei U8800 / Ideos X5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest That-Guy
Hi to Forum Members

I am just new to Andriod and I followed the steps with my Hauwei IDEOS X5 to use Superboot, but after following all step my Wifi connection is in "Turning on" mode. any solution ?

Which firmware version do you have?

If its not B136 upgrade to that then follow the steps in this guide again.

THIS POST should help you :)

Guest leonida5

Ive been using superboot for 2 weeks and havent had any problems but i went to wifi settings for the first time since i did superboot root and it crashed. Not sure if its a problem with the kernel, but when i go to wifi settings the screen goes black and the phone does a quick reboot.

Wifi still works fine though as it connects to my router.

Guest That-Guy
Ive been using superboot for 2 weeks and havent had any problems but i went to wifi settings for the first time since i did superboot root and it crashed. Not sure if its a problem with the kernel, but when i go to wifi settings the screen goes black and the phone does a quick reboot.

Wifi still works fine though as it connects to my router.

Not getting this problem myself, connects first time every time with no problems.

(sorry I can't be any more help)

Guest Cirno
Just curious, does changing the camera libs also solve the framerate problem when recording videos on ideos x5? I get a jerk every five or so seconds on my recordings.

Nope, and nope.

The jerkiness is something with hardware to do not the software. Well with software you could smooth it out making it not such an eyesore. However I am guessing the Oxygen ROM, is gonna have an optimized version for the video recording part.

Guest trancer01

Has anyone encountered a weird bug with B136 stock ROM (with or without a modified kernel), i.e. losing your GSM/UMTS signal when wifi is turned on and not being able to find your operator`s home network until a reboot? I`ve had this issue for some time now, it happens every couple of days on my stock B136 firmware and also with Paul`s superboot image (same thing happening when I was using papatsonis` tweaked bootloader).

Edited by trancer01

Guest Cirno
Has anyone encountered a weird bug with B136 stock ROM (with or without a modified kernel), i.e. losing your GSM/UMTS signal when wifi is turned on and not being able to find your operator`s home network until a reboot? I`ve had this issue for some time now, it happens every couple of days on my stock B136 firmware and also with Paul`s superboot image (same thing happening when I was using papatsonis` tweaked bootloader).

No, you seem to be first with such problem. I have no idea what you can do about it but I would recommend you upgrade to B137 fibblesans custom rom. Works like a charm.

Guest That-Guy

Give the FLB B137 ROM a try and see if that helps. Its Android 2.2.2 so should have a few extra bug fixes :)

Guest Wtrdg

Hi there, bought the x5 a few days ago and I'm loving it already.

I'm new to Android and this forum, but I've been reading it for some time now.

I tried Paul's Superboot on my x5 while running stock U8800 V100R001C00B135SP01 (General).

This resulted in a non functional WiFi connection

So I updated it to U8800 V100R001C00B136 (Overseas General version) 2011-05-17 after I did a backup.

Superboot worked I guess seeing Superuser app in my list.

But I wanted to check if the installation of the custom kernel went alright.

Should the kernel version be: 2.6.32.9-perf Android@localhost #1?

If I'm remembering correctly when I installed it on the B135 Firmware it said something with Paul in it.

So thats why im asking.

Any help would be appreciated, Ty

-EDIT-

Nevermind, switched to FLB's ROM

Edited by Wtrdg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smippa

Hi I used this and I think it worked well. But then without a reason I tried z4root with this. It caused some minor problems.

How can I remove superuser.apk and turn it back to normal? I it from my backups but they didn't work.

Please help me.

ps. the old one was U8800 V100R001C00B135SP01CUSTC205D001

edit: I think my friend managed to fix it after all.

Edited by smippa

Guest Artkos

I've already rooted my u8800 with z4root; what would the steps be that I'd need to take to install superboot ? (I've heard some great things about the performance increase it gives!)

Do I need to reflash B136 again ? Or just go straight ahead and apply superboot?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks ! =D

Guest Artkos

Why did you do that? Just unroot with z4root and redo the super boot

Because I found out about z4root before I found this website, lol

Thanks for the information - I'll do that now ^_^

Guest russkinz

Anyone else having an issue with getting the boot.img on to the phone? I boot into maintenance mode (power button, vol+) and the drives show up... But I can't browse them. Windows claims there is no disk in the drives.

I have EXT3 drivers for Windows installed, so I know it's nothing to do with the file system.

If you've got any idea why this might happen, I would be extremely happy if you could share your wisdom ;)

Thanks heaps!

Guest That-Guy

Anyone else having an issue with getting the boot.img on to the phone? I boot into maintenance mode (power button, vol+) and the drives show up... But I can't browse them. Windows claims there is no disk in the drives.

I have EXT3 drivers for Windows installed, so I know it's nothing to do with the file system.

If you've got any idea why this might happen, I would be extremely happy if you could share your wisdom ;)

Thanks heaps!

You should be holding [POWER] + [VOL+] + [VOL-]

Then you should be able to access the drives that show up on the computer :)

Guest shanewaz

Introducing.... Superboot! :P

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

My Superboot image for the Huawei U8800 / Ideos X5 does more than this though. As well as rooting your device, it will install a custom optimised kernel, convert your device from EXT3 to EXT4 (for increased performance), install busybox with shortcuts and install TUN/CIFS kernel modules! <_<

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Download

• Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 5bfde2790a4cca2a9d106ef42111da47

How to use Superboot
    • Turn off your device
    • Turn your device on while holding 'volume up' and 'volume down' the screen will turn purple
    • Plug the device into your PC. A number of 'USB drives' will appear, including one with a single directory named 'image'.
    • From this directory, copy the boot.img and keep somewhere safe (this is your 'undo' mechanism)
    • Copy the downloaded image above to the image directory named boot.img
    • Eject the USB drives and restart your device (by pulling the battery)

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

P

OK, sounds great as I want to root this device, but I have2 stupid question

1) Step 4 - 'copy the boot.img and keep somewhere safe (this is your 'undo' mechanism)' - copy and save it somewhere safe on my computer or on my SD card?

2) Is this only possible to use if you have updated to b136? (I think that is the case, from what I have read in previous posts, but just wanted to make sure). I am currently using the stock rom B135, and was wondering if it can still work?

Thanks once again, for all your hard work!

Edited by shanewaz

Guest jarkkis

Just flashed B162 and applied this Superboot. Now my wifi is giving "error" continuously. In other words wifi cannot be turned on! Any good idea how to solve this?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pirecrompir

Just flashed B162 and applied this Superboot. Now my wifi is giving "error" continuously. In other words wifi cannot be turned on! Any good idea how to solve this?

i have the exact same problem on my stock B135 firmware! after rooting with superuser, it's impossible to turn on wifi, it gives an instantaneous error.... if i switch back to the stock boot.img (unroot the phone), the problem is gone. could someone help, please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I did what tutorial said changed boot.img with one I download from there and my phone don't load just show image with word HUAWEI. If i change boo.img with original it' work fine. I try z4root for rooting my HUAWEI U8800 but it didn't root ether so are there other way to root my phine for change to delete app's I got with pone like UNO (I don't play it and they even ask me to pay for this game so I want to delete it ).

Guest Pelemane

Hi everyone I did what tutorial said changed boot.img with one I download from there and my phone don't load just show image with word HUAWEI. If i change boo.img with original it' work fine. I try z4root for rooting my HUAWEI U8800 but it didn't root ether so are there other way to root my phine for change to delete app's I got with pone like UNO (I don't play it and they even ask me to pay for this game so I want to delete it ).

Just install Clockworkmod and then install custom ROM. Here is some instructions