25 May r1: Superboot (and then some!) for the Huawei U8800 / Ideos X5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
Introducing.... Superboot! :P

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

My Superboot image for the Huawei U8800 / Ideos X5 does more than this though. As well as rooting your device, it will install a custom optimised kernel, convert your device from EXT3 to EXT4 (for increased performance), install busybox with shortcuts and install TUN/CIFS kernel modules! <_<

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Download
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 5bfde2790a4cca2a9d106ef42111da47

How to use Superboot
    • Turn off your device
    • Turn your device on while holding 'volume up' and 'volume down' the screen will turn purple
    • Plug the device into your PC. A number of 'USB drives' will appear, including one with a single directory named 'image'.
    • From this directory, copy the boot.img and keep somewhere safe (this is your 'undo' mechanism)
    • Copy the downloaded image above to the image directory named boot.img
    • Eject the USB drives and restart your device (by pulling the battery)
    • Enjoy! :rolleyes:

P

Guest admanirv

Paul

How are you finding the U8800 in general, overall?

When you did the quadrant test was your u8800 overclocked?, i cant decide to get a u8800 for £170 NEW or a second hand almost mint HTC Desire HD for £200??

Cheers

Guest de_shepherd
Paul

How are you finding the U8800 in general, overall?

When you did the quadrant test was your u8800 overclocked?, i cant decide to get a u8800 for £170 NEW or a second hand almost mint HTC Desire HD for £200??

Or another alternative at the moment (though probably not much longer) is a new Desire Z for £200 in the CPW clearance

Guest That-Guy
Or another alternative at the moment (though probably not much longer) is a new Desire Z for £200 in the CPW clearance

But is probably pretty locked down compared to the U8800 ?

Guest de_shepherd
But is probably pretty locked down compared to the U8800 ?

Yes, gather it is now - though I suspect with that there would be less need to do non-official updates (its 2.2. already and 2.3 upgrade is sometime very soon) - but, also, perhaps having had a pulse for 18months then fiddling around with ROMs is part of the whole phone experieince now! ... keyboard also has some attraction to me (had a Palm Treo before my Pulse) but not a deal breaker + something mechanical its keyboard always has the possibility of breaking!

Think the Ideos is probably the move for me .... + I wasn't planning to change exactly now and I suspect CPW's clearance stock of DZ's will run out soon so I'd need to buy today if I wanted that!

Guest Poulsen8r
is the U8800H a different product?

Not exactly. It's the HSPA+ version of the u8800, so just different radio, same everything else. u8800 has HSDPA 14.4mbps, u8800h HSPA+ 21mbps.

Also, Wifi isn't working with this image for me.

Sorry should add more info:

Australian Phone with the B160 Rom and the 1.8Ghz OC boot.img both from XDA. I wouldn't mind falshing the UK rom but my version is not listed as compatible. Can anyone run cat /proc/partitions on their uk rom and post the output? The hardware is the same so if the partitions line up then I should give it a go :P

Edited by Poulsen8r

Guest boss_y

Something is wrong, because phone with this boot has overheating problems. Battery lasts for about 3 hours?!

We tested boot on 3 difrent Ideos X5 phones...

Thanks anyway :P

Guest That-Guy
Something is wrong, because phone with this boot has overheating problems. Battery lasts for about 3 hours?!

We tested boot on 3 difrent Ideos X5 phones...

Thanks anyway :rolleyes:

Which ROMs have you been using this on?

Think it was created on/for U8800 V100R001C00B136 (Here)

Maybe worth trying with that ROM if you haven't already :P

Edited by That-Guy

Guest roberto_x
Which ROMs have you been using this on?

Think it was created on/for U8800 V100R001C00B136 (Here)

Maybe worth trying with that ROM if you haven't already :P

Same problem with overheating and battery consumption in version U8800V100R001C00B133SP16

Guest That-Guy
Same problem with overheating and battery consumption in version U8800V100R001C00B133SP16

What about U8800 V100R001C00B136 though?

Guest Simon O

Must be a compatibility issue with certain versions of the phone. I'll have a think about some solutions to this and discuss them with Paul.

Guest roberto_x
Let us know how you get on :P

I upgraded ROM version form B133SP16 to B136.

So far so good...after 3 hours no more overheating :rolleyes:

Guest Simon O
I upgraded ROM version form B133SP16 to B136.

So far so good...after 3 hours no more overheating :P

Excellent. And it supports Slovenian language ok?

Guest roberto_x

Slovenian language is not supported in froyo but it is available in gingerbread. Do you think it is possible to port it?

Edited by roberto_x