Froyo Beta Battery life (07/07/2011)

Guest Leeds

Guest mur4d

There seems to be bug, where the system consumes a lot of power in Standby. This doesn´t happen all the time. Until the problem fixed the only thing you can do is rebooting the phone. Your phone should work normally for a while, until the system again drains your battery. It is hard to tell what the exact problem is, but it seems that some hardware-driver fails going into Standby and Android constantly tries to shut it down.

Edited by mur4d

Guest Leeds

Ok guys, this might interest some of you

I've updated my PHONE part from XXIJ2 to XXJJ1 about 4 days ago

My Omnia is a I8000L model and everything is working fine, I didn't had to use an specific L PHONE part.

But here is the greatest news, wich proves (at least in my case), that changing the PHONE part really affects the battery life on Android:

Before updating I've made a final test too see how much time the battery would last while phone was sleeping

Both tests were made with the same CPU Tuner config, same programs installed and 3G ON.

So I went to sleep and set my alarm to wake me up 8 hours later, the result speaks for itself:

XXIJ2

Phone Sleeping: After 8 hours the phone was dead. (not sure when it shutdown)

XXJJ1

Phone Sleeping: After 8 hours the phone had 93% battery left.

Also, after 12 hours of daily use (sms, calls, music, games) it still has 50-60% battery left!

Too bad I still couldn't fix my market problem but hey, at least now I can use android for the entire day! :)

My advice would be, if you are having battery life issues, update the PHONE part!

I hope this is helpful for you guys too!

Thanks all!

Edited by Leeds

Guest faisad
Ok guys, this might interest some of you

I've updated my PHONE part from XXIJ2 to XXJJ1 about 4 days ago

My Omnia is a I8000L model and everything is working fine, I didn't had to use an specific L PHONE part.

But here is the greatest news, wich proves (at least in my case), that changing the PHONE part really affects the battery life on Android:

Before updating I've made a final test too see how much time the battery would last while phone was sleeping

Both tests were made with the same CPU Tuner config, same programs installed and 3G ON.

So I went to sleep and set my alarm to wake me up 8 hours later, the result speaks for itself:

XXIJ2

Phone Sleeping: After 8 hours the phone was dead. (not sure when it shutdown)

XXJJ1

Phone Sleeping: After 8 hours the phone had 93% battery left.

Also, after 12 hours of daily use (sms, calls, music, games) it still has 50-60% battery left!

Too bad I still couldn't fix my market problem but hey, at least now I can use android for the entire day! :)

My advice would be, if you are having battery life issues, update the PHONE part!

I hope this is helpful for you guys too!

Thanks all!

where can i download the XXIJ1

Guest carlospaco
I believe you're talking about XXJJ1, I've downloaded it from here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...are-i8000nxjj1/

Hope it helps :)

Hey Leeds, i did flash my phone with XXJJ1, and it's better , battery is going longer. Not as long with you. BUT do you use cpu tuner also and what are your settings? I am using setcpu , is there much different ?

Thanks

Guest carlospaco
i installed cpu tuner it is amaizing. My battery life is very good now. It is %30 after 2 days. It was only 7 hours before.

Thanks

Hey , what are you settings, because by me it doesn't last that long.

Thanks

Guest Leeds
Hey Leeds, i did flash my phone with XXJJ1, and it's better , battery is going longer. Not as long with you. BUT do you use cpu tuner also and what are your settings? I am using setcpu , is there much different ?

Thanks

Hi there carlos

I am glad flasing the PHONE part worked for you too :)

Well, SetCPU never worked the way I wanted but a lot of people use it and say it's good

I use CPUtuner instead, wich in my opinion, is better than SetCPU

I am using the pre-configured automatic settings and it's working pretty good so far..

What CPUtuner automatic settings does is trigger profiles depending on the % battery left on your phone, for instance:

If battery is 85-100%, my profile is performance (Virtual Governor set to Full speed, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 400-800Mhz)

If battery is 65-84%, my profile is good (Virtual Governor set to Normal, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 400-800Mhz)

If battery is 45-64%, my profile is normal (Virtual Governor set to Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-800Mhz)

If battery is 25-44%, my profile is powersave (Virtual Governor set to Extreme Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-800Mhz, Forces 2G only)

If battery is 1-24%, my profile is extreme powersave (Virtual Governor set to Extreme Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-400Mhz, Forces 2G only, Sync/WiFi/BT OFF)

And it goes much deeper than that, you can set individual triggers for each action, like when you are making a call, you can set the trigger to activate the performance profile even if you have like 20% battery left, then, as soon as the call end it will go back to the original profile, wich was extreme powersave..

You might think it will be too complicated but the whole profile, triggers, virtual governor config thing were done automatically by CPUtuner, after that you just have to do some minor tweaks :rolleyes:

As you can see I really like CPUtuner lol

Why wouldn't I? It does the job pretty well :rolleyes:

I hope it helps

Edited by Leeds

Guest carlospaco
Hi there carlos

I am glad flasing the PHONE part worked for you too :)

Well, SetCPU never worked the way I wanted but a lot of people use it and say it's good

I use CPUtuner instead, wich in my opinion, is better than SetCPU

I am using the pre-configured automatic settings and it's working pretty good so far..

What CPUtuner automatic settings does is trigger profiles depending on the % battery left on your phone, for instance:

If battery is 85-100%, my profile is performance (Virtual Governor set to Full speed, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 400-800Mhz)

If battery is 65-84%, my profile is good (Virtual Governor set to Normal, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 400-800Mhz)

If battery is 45-64%, my profile is normal (Virtual Governor set to Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-800Mhz)

If battery is 25-44%, my profile is powersave (Virtual Governor set to Extreme Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-800Mhz, Forces 2G only)

If battery is 1-24%, my profile is extreme powersave (Virtual Governor set to Extreme Powersave, CPU Governor set to Conservative, 66-400Mhz, Forces 2G only, Sync/WiFi/BT OFF)

And it goes much deeper than that, you can set individual triggers for each action, like when you are making a call, you can set the trigger to activate the performance profile even if you have like 20% battery left, then, as soon as the call end it will go back to the original profile, wich was extreme powersave..

You might think it will be too complicated but the whole profile, triggers, virtual governor config thing were done automatically by CPUtuner, after that you just have to do some minor tweaks :rolleyes:

As you can see I really like CPUtuner lol

Why wouldn't I? It does the job pretty well :rolleyes:

I hope it helps

OK Thanks alot for your answer. I will try it out.

Greets

Guest ftd01
Hey , what are you settings, because by me it doesn't last that long.

Thanks

My wm rom is ms team and install android rom in mystorage

set cpu tuner

Govenor: normal

frequencies max: 800Mhz , min 133Mhz

No sod, no freeze. Android works fantastic.

Guest knarfkee

I am using phone part JJ1 + CPU Tuner.

Lock Screen profile : Extreme PowerSave.

The rest are on Screen Off profile.

First 1.5 hour,

Battery: 85%

Data 2G/3G, moderate usage.

1.5 to 5.5 hour,

Battery: 79%

Data Off

Phone Sleep 95%

I went accross country, phone roaming = ON

Pretty impress, average 1.5% / hour in Stand By mode.

5.5 hour to 12.5 hour

Battery 24%

Data Off

Phone Sleep 100% (I was sleeping too)

Phone Roaming ON

No idea why battery drain so fast from 79% to 24%.

Average 8% / hour in Stand By mode.

Guest knarfkee

For CPU tuner, may I know how can I customize CPU frequency? When I choose ExtremePowerSave, I can set my CPU frequency at 66%, 266% or 800%. Anywhere can I customize it to 133% and 400%?

Guest Leeds
For CPU tuner, may I know how can I customize CPU frequency? When I choose ExtremePowerSave, I can set my CPU frequency at 66%, 266% or 800%. Anywhere can I customize it to 133% and 400%?

I am not sure but I think CPU frequencies can be changed here: Menu > System > CPU Settings > Allowed CPU frequencies

You can also try to change the Experience level to Power User (Menu > User Interface > Experience level) to see if that gives you more options :rolleyes:

On the fast battery drain subject..

Try checking the statistics on CPU Tuner to see if there was any changes on profile during the 5.5 hour to 12.5 hour you went to sleep, maybe the phone lost signal or something and started looking for networks I don't know.. :)

Also check if CPU Tuner didn't trigger any profile that maybe turned sync/wifi/ap/mobiledata ON and caused battery to drain that fast..

You can also test something, next time you went to sleep and have ~80% battery left, try set the phone to airplane mode and see if it makes any difference

I hope it helps

:rolleyes:

Edited by Leeds

Guest knarfkee

It's too late for me to check the CPU statistic. It reset after I reboot my phone. :huh:

Yesterday night, I turned on flight mode before went sleep. Battery was at 98%, when I woke up in the morning, it was 92%. Ave 1% /hour.

I suspect that the battery meter maybe in accurate. I realize that, while charging my phone, from 20% to 70%, it tooks about 30 minutes only. From 70% to 100%, it tools real long time, more than 2 hour, especially from 90% to 100%. And, on usage, it drops really slow from 100% to 90%, and slightly faster from 90% to 70%. After 70%, it drops real fast. From 35% to 20%, it tooks only 15 mins (with 3G data + facebook + some video).

Guess my stats isn't help full yet. Will try more and updates. :blink:

Guest coffeeguy

Leeds,

thanks for bringing back my interest in Android, since I decided to quit from it because of random SOD freezing etc..

Here is what I have done so far:

I upgraded my phone part to JJ1 and I have installed CPU tuner and Advanced task killer.

From this morning my battery was at full, and with almost no use it fell down to 92% in 1.5 hour. I have 3G connection, no background data, and no WiFi.

I forgot to uninstall "Set CPU" which was working also, and it may be the reason why my battery was drained so fast.

My battery is at between 30 and35degrees C, and when I look what was using the battery in Android booster here is what I get:

Screen- 9%

Networks -81%

Applications -9%

I think that it is pretty much the same as it was before.

I have changed to 2G networks in data connection now, and it usually does the trick.

On Advanced task killer auto kill is set to "aggressive" and condition is "screen off"..

One big news is that from last night I had no SOD, but it is too early to tell yet.

Since I finished this post my battery is down to 88%.

Gotta investigate what is draining the battery so fast.

EDIT:

After 3.5 hours of 2G connection and several phone conversations, battery is at 83%

Edited by coffeeguy

Guest Leeds

Hello coffeeguy,

It's good to hear that this brought back your interest on Android! :blink:

I used to have the same problem with Set CPU, my battery drained extremely fast so I switched to CPU Tuner instead

May I suggest you try it too? Maybe run it for one day and see if there's any difference

It did the trick for me

3G signal here is pretty good so if I set 2G only option, my phone actually uses more battery than on 3G network

I use CPU Tuner automatic settings with a few tweaks, like using 3G only

I hope this helps

Edited by Leeds

Guest greatwiseone

This thread is awesome. Thanks a lot for all the information here. I was struggling with battery life on the i8000 ever since the first beta came out (and I was wondering whether the phone part had anything to do with it).

I have a i8000L but went ahead with flashing the JJ1 phone part based on what others have done in this thread (I did find a i8000L phone part, and so I would just reflash it if it doesn't work). The JJ1 phone part doesn't appear to have affected the data or network access on both WinMo or Android.

The switch to JJ1 phone part has made a huge difference in battery life. Before, I would lose about 7% an hour, even when there is no 2G/3G data access. I surmised that the phone wasn't sleeping properly, and when you looked at the battery history under my old phone part, the phone never slept, and so it was constantly drawing quite a bit of battery. When I looked at battery history now after switching to JJ1, the phone actually sleeps because on"other usage", the "running" percentage is significantly less than 100% (whereas it was 100% for the whole time before).

I'm still going thru my first day with the new phone part, and even though it's not the same awesome battery life we are used to under Winmo, as long as I get at least a day's worth of use out of the phone (and don't have to charge it mid-day), it's fine.

I'm also using CPUtuner + task killer.

Edited by greatwiseone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leonardodg

Leeds,

So achei o PHONE XXJJ1 sem ser a versao L, isso pode dar algum problema? onde posso baixar o firmware i8000LXXJJ1? para o meu Omnia da TIM?

Guest Leeds

Sorry, I've been out for a couple of weeks

That's good to hear greatwiseone

Nice to see that this thread is useful for you guys :)

To leonardodg,

I've also found only the XXJJ1 version (couldn't find the L version either..)

I did update my I8000L (Claro) with the XXJJ1 version without any problem

I think our Omnia II didn't get any official operator updates here in Brazil..

Downloaded XXJJ1 from here: http://www.modaco.co...are-i8000nxjj1/

You probably have to manually configure TIM's 3G/MMS settings because on this new PHONE part the default is proximus.be settings or something, you can probably change it somewhere but I didn't bother doing it since I don't use 3G or MMS, but the rest works fine :D

(in portuguese)

Eu tambem só achei a versão XXJJ1 (não consegui encontrar a versao L)

Atualizei meu I8000L (Claro) com a XXJJ1 e não deu nenhum problema

Acho que nosso Omnia II não recebeu nenhuma atualização oficial das operadoras aqui no Brasil..

Baixei a XXJJ1 genérica daqui: http://www.modaco.co...are-i8000nxjj1/

Provavelmente tu vai ter que colocar as configurações de 3G/MMS da TIM porque as que vem ativadas por padrão nessa nova versão da parte PHONE são de uma tal de proximus.be, tu provavelmente pode mudar elas em algum lugar mas eu nem me dei ao trabalho de procurar pq não uso 3G nem MMS, mas o resto ta tudo funcionando :D

Edited by Leeds

Guest Vinicius Oliveira

I have a I8000L and I updated my phone part to XXJJ1 of I8000 too without problems. But my Adroid (coincidentally or not) start to presents SOD... :(

I will go realize more tests (battery time) and I will tell here...

In portuguese

Eu tenho um I8000L e atualizei minha parte PHONE para XXJJ1 do I8000 também sem problemas. Mas meu android (coincidentemente ou não) começou a apresentar SOD....:(

Eu vou realizar mais testes (de tempo de bateria) e contarei aqui.

Edited by Vinicius Oliveira

Guest Vinicius Oliveira

Well, I adjust my screen off settings of 266 to 400 Mhz in CPU tunner ans not get SOD anymore.

After up XXJJ1 phone part yesterday, I start today my cell phone with 100% batt level at 11:20 am. So at 4:10 pm my batt level was 43% a avarage of 11% per hour.

I has using froyo on my sdcard. That will be if I use android on my storage the batt life will outlast?

Sorry my english.... using google translator.

Guest leonardodg

I have a I8000L and I updated my phone part to XXJJ1 of I8000 too without problems. But my Adroid (coincidentally or not) start to presents SOD... :(

I will go realize more tests (battery time) and I will tell here...

In portuguese

Eu tenho um I8000L e atualizei minha parte PHONE para XXJJ1 do I8000 também sem problemas. Mas meu android (coincidentemente ou não) começou a apresentar SOD....:(

Eu vou realizar mais testes (de tempo de bateria) e contarei aqui.

Entao instalei essa versao, no WinMo o 3G parou mesmo..e no android ele comecou a perder sinal..toda hora ficava sem servico...ai voltei pro PHONE original.. e voltou a funcionar...bom o android vai ter q esperar..e tb outras coisas nao funcionam direito... parece q o projeto deu uma parada? eles nao lancam mais PACTHs nada...ou estou errado?

Guest Vinicius Oliveira

Entao instalei essa versao, no WinMo o 3G parou mesmo..e no android ele comecou a perder sinal..toda hora ficava sem servico...ai voltei pro PHONE original.. e voltou a funcionar...bom o android vai ter q esperar..e tb outras coisas nao funcionam direito... parece q o projeto deu uma parada? eles nao lancam mais PACTHs nada...ou estou errado?

Curioso... Meu 3G funciona bem, em termos de velocidade de tráfego de dados, mas não testei video chamada.

Notei também que alterar no WinMo a velocidade de automático para alto melhorou bastante o desempenho o Android, não sei se foi impressão (placebo!:lol:).

Alguém sabe para que serve a opção pulse do CPU Tuner ?

Then install this version, the 3G WinMo stopped in the same android .. and he began to lose signal all the time .. ... there was no service went back to original .. PHONE and went back to work ... good android will have to wait .. q tb and other things not work right ... q seems the project paused? They have not released anything more PACTHs ... or am I wrong?

Curious ... My 3G works well, in terms of speed of data traffic, but have not tested video call.

I also noticed that when I change the speed of automatic to high in WinMo, I have greatly improved Android, do not know if it was sensing(placebo!: lol:).

Does anyone know what it is the option of the CPU Tuner "pulse"?

Guest lol = ^_^

Curioso... Meu 3G funciona bem, em termos de velocidade de tráfego de dados, mas não testei video chamada.

Notei também que alterar no WinMo a velocidade de automático para alto melhorou bastante o desempenho o Android, não sei se foi impressão (placebo!:lol:).

Alguém sabe para que serve a opção pulse do CPU Tuner ?

Curious ... My 3G works well, in terms of speed of data traffic, but have not tested video call.

I also noticed that when I change the speed of automatic to high in WinMo, I have greatly improved Android, do not know if it was sensing(placebo!: lol:).

Does anyone know what it is the option of the CPU Tuner "pulse"?

It's because when we set a CPU frequency in Windows Mobile, the clock speed is "Hard Coded" in the processor. Think of it as Overclocking in your PC's BIOS, even though you change the OS the clock speed of the processor will remain the same :-). Do take note though, when you set it to 800MHZ in Windows Mobile, the Omnia II's Processor will run at 800MHZ even while sleeping!

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I used to have phone part I8000LXXWIJ1 (or something similar)

My battery was

Sleep: 7-8 hours

Lite Use: 6 hours

Heavy use: 4 hours

So I decided to change it to I8000XXJJ1 and also installed CPU Tuner (with default profiles)

the phone was in sleep mode from 12:00 to 8am

then I start using it, normal use, some SMS, some calls, I checked my gmail and from time to time I to did other things, no market, no browsing, no weather app, no facebook, no gps.

after 15hr and 45min my battery is at 15%

So battery draining problems are gone since I changed to XXJJ1

Thanks everyone for the help, cause by writing, posting and replying you help me