New official Blade FroYo update (Sapo A5)

Guest mELIANTE

Guest whatcolour
1. Here is a firmware package containing this new Portuguese firmware, but not the ROM. It can be flashed as per the instructions in this thread - installing a custom ROM is then easy. If you used the stock upgrader you would have to root again etc.

2. download speedtest.net from market and do a test. HSUPA = upload rate > 400kb/s. For everyone's benefit, do a test before and after the upgrade and post your results!

3. Yes, but all custom ROMs should fit on a stock partition layout. You'll just have less space on data.

m8, would you please upload a version with the new partition layout please? i.e., 2MB cache, 160 MB system, 293MB data

no worries if too tied up though.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
m8, would you please upload a version with the new partition layout please? i.e., 2MB cache, 160 MB system, 293MB data

no worries if too tied up though.

I don't know how to edit them myself, but if you take appsboot.mbn and partition_zte.mbn from another firmware package then you will end up with that partition layout

Guest wbaw
I don't know how to edit them myself, but if you take appsboot.mbn and partition_zte.mbn from another firmware package then you will end up with that partition layout

Or you'll brick your phone if you try doing that with one of my partition layouts & a gen2 oemsbl & partition.mbn.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Or you'll brick your phone if you try doing that with one of my partition layouts & a gen2 oemsbl & partition.mbn.

Is that because of the way you used the extra 15MB? Noted, I had forgotten about that.

Should work if you use those files from a proper Gen2 package (there's one with 136MB system on my guide). All of this is untested and you do it at your own risk.

Guest wbaw
Is that because of the way you used the extra 15MB? Noted, I had forgotten about that.

Should work if you use those files from a proper Gen2 package (there's one with 136MB system on my guide). All of this is untested and you do it at your own risk.

Yes, exactly. If you mix a gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn with the modified appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn from one of my packages (v3 onwards) then it'll brick it, because I used the 15mb extra nand space available with gen1. It'll flash your rom into a part of the storage space which can't be read by the cpu, because of the limitations imposed by the gen2 oemsbl.mbn. So at best, it wont boot & you'll need to reflash a correct config, at worst it wont be recoverable at all because it's overwritten something important to the radio baseband.

Strongly not recommended.

Anyway, I can't see any reason to flash it, there don't seem to be any noticeable differences between this gen2 baseband & the other European ones, as far as I know.

Edited by wbaw

Guest whatcolour
Yes, exactly. If you mix a gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn with the modified appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn from one of my packages (v3 onwards) then it'll brick it, because I used the 15mb extra nand space available with gen1. It'll flash your rom into a part of the storage space which can't be read by the cpu, because of the limitations imposed by the gen2 oemsbl.mbn. So at best, it wont boot & you'll need to reflash a correct config, at worst it wont be recoverable at all because it's overwritten something important to the radio baseband.

Strongly not recommended.

Anyway, I can't see any reason to flash it, there don't seem to be any noticeable differences between this gen2 baseband & the other European ones, as far as I know.

Thanks, guys.

But the inevitable did happen last night, after playing around with different gen2 firmwares, I have managed to brick it....

At one stage it couldn't even reach the green logo, but that was rectified by flashing a image.bin using volume up+menu+power, the phone booted fine afterwards.

I got excited then and flashed a version with "mixing a gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn with the modified appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn from one of wbaw's packages", now I can only boot into recovery (that is not with pressing volume down)!

I have exahausted with options but everything lead to booting into recovery:

- flashed using the image.bin which worked before ---> recovery only

- flashed the original Sapo firmware ---> recovery only

- downgraded to gen1 ---> recovery only

- flashed wbaw's other firmwares ---> recovery only

- made another image.bin with ClockWork recovery ---> recovery only; but with ClockWork, I have managed to format data, cache, boot and system, then installed SS as normal ---> booted into recovery again.

The way I see it, the phone is totally bricked....

Guest whatcolour
Thanks, guys.

But the inevitable did happen last night, after playing around with different gen2 firmwares, I have managed to brick it....

At one stage it couldn't even reach the green logo, but that was rectified by flashing a image.bin using volume up+menu+power, the phone booted fine afterwards.

I got excited then and flashed a version with "mixing a gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn with the modified appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn from one of wbaw's packages", now I can only boot into recovery (that is not with pressing volume down)!

I have exahausted with options but everything lead to booting into recovery:

- flashed using the image.bin which worked before ---> recovery only

- flashed the original Sapo firmware ---> recovery only

- downgraded to gen1 ---> recovery only

- flashed wbaw's other firmwares ---> recovery only

- made another image.bin with ClockWork recovery ---> recovery only; but with ClockWork, I have managed to format data, cache, boot and system, then installed SS as normal ---> booted into recovery again.

The way I see it, the phone is totally bricked....

Well, following that.. I have now managed to revive the phone, by deliberately mixing gen1 and gen2 files in the flash package which totally bricked the phone (no green logo), I then flashed again using the image.bin method and everything worked fine afterwards!

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Well, following that.. I have now managed to revive the phone, by deliberately mixing gen1 and gen2 files in the flash package which totally bricked the phone (no green logo), I then flashed again using the image.bin method and everything worked fine afterwards!

wow, you're adventurous. apologies for the bad advice.

Do you have the correct IMEI? booting into recovery is sometimes a result of corrupted NV memory.

Guest whatcolour
wow, you're adventurous. apologies for the bad advice.

Do you have the correct IMEI? booting into recovery is sometimes a result of corrupted NV memory.

Thanks, m8. No, come on, it was me who was being plain stupid :-) No, corrupt IMEI with zeros prefixing, might follow the other Chinese thread to revive it, but for now, I am happily using my blade again.

I'm not sure about the details of how phone radios work, but I could imagine that even if the modem supports a certain radio band it still might require another chip to support it aswell (eg a signal amplifier or something), so maybe the Chinese phones have a different piece of hardware that allows its radio to work differently? (like I mentioned, the Chinese firmware has a different cefs.mbn to all the European versions, which are identical. I reckon its worth flashing a chinese and european firmware, and making a full backup of NV from QxDM/QPST, and finding out what the differences are.

I've been a bit busy and obviously missed this thread, and i'll look into the Portuguese amss later tonight. However, this bit caught my eye while reading up. I haven't actually been able to find a Chinese cefs.mbn and i would be very interested in disecting one! :D Especially for 3G 850, some settings in certain NV items seem to be missing on my OSF. While i don't know if those blades actually have different hardware or if the radio frequencies can be controlled completely by firmware (and if there's a limit to the amount of frequencies the chips can support simultaneously, for that matter), i have found some important bits for the software side of this at least. Those missing settings could very well be the ones causing amss.mbn to crash once i enable 3G 850 in it.

Also, for testing HSUPA, the most reliable method should be running "adb logcat -b radio" and seeing if you can get "E/QCRIL ( 191): HSPA System" or "D/GSM ( 309): radio tech is 11" to show up. If it says HSDPA and radio tech is 9, HSUPA is not enabled. (Or check NV item 3649 (decimal) - if it reads 1, it's not enabled.)

Here is the chinese firmware from burstlam that has the different cefs.mbn

Thanks, turns out i had downloaded it somewhere already, but i forgot about it :D Many 3G 850 settings in the Chinese one though! However, i wish i knew a bit more about their actual effects, as there are also some minor differences in the settings for other bands. It'll take some time to sort out the differences.

As for the Portuguese amss.mbn, it seems similar to the rest of them, forcing NV item 3649 to 1 on startup, effectively disabling HSUPA. As i described in another thread, forcing this value to 2 (requires some editing in amss) made my phone reboot whenever HSUPA was initialised, but i haven't been able to find out why. It could be the hardware, could be missing NV items or just the software (either amss.mbn or the RIL layer).

Guest Migun
question: isn't the Sapo A5 actually a ZTE Libra (not Blade) ?

You are correct, but the Libra is a Blade with a different exterior and 5MP camera :D

Some interesting results with help from the Chinese cefs.mbn. Many RF config settings for the 850 MHz band aren't set in the European versions of the Blade, though i don't know if the defaults provided by the Chinese cefs are appropriate. Either way, with these settings combined with my previous findings, i managed to get some interesting log results:

2G

rr_general.c  02766  band_pref bit-mask for PCS1900 is allowed

rr_general.c  02779  band_pref bit-mask for DCS1800 is allowed

rr_general.c  02792  band_pref bit-mask for GSM850 is allowed

rr_general.c  02806  band_pref bit-masks for EGSM and PGSM900 are allowed
3G
rrccsputil.c  18055  IMT2k band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18075  1900 band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18081  850 band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18101  800 MHz band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18124  900 MHz band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18146  1700 MHz band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18161  1700_2100 (AWS) MHz band not supported by the UE

while my phone can still connect to my 2G 1800 and 3G 2100 network while running with these modifications.

So while 3G 850 might work, the procedure to enable it is far from polished, and it will need some testing to verify if our phone can indeed handle this band properly.

While it would be possible to unlock even more bands, i'm not sure if the hardware can handle it or if the settings for these are appropriate.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Some interesting results with help from the Chinese cefs.mbn. Many RF config settings for the 850 MHz band aren't set in the European versions of the Blade, though i don't know if the defaults provided by the Chinese cefs are appropriate. Either way, with these settings combined with my previous findings, i managed to get some interesting log results:

2G

rr_general.c  02766  band_pref bit-mask for PCS1900 is allowed

rr_general.c  02779  band_pref bit-mask for DCS1800 is allowed

rr_general.c  02792  band_pref bit-mask for GSM850 is allowed

rr_general.c  02806  band_pref bit-masks for EGSM and PGSM900 are allowed
3G
rrccsputil.c  18055  IMT2k band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18075  1900 band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18081  850 band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18101  800 MHz band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18124  900 MHz band supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18146  1700 MHz band not supported by the UE

rrccsputil.c  18161  1700_2100 (AWS) MHz band not supported by the UE

while my phone can still connect to my 2G 1800 and 3G 2100 network while running with these modifications.

So while 3G 850 might work, the procedure to enable it is far from polished, and it will need some testing to verify if our phone can indeed handle this band properly.

While it would be possible to unlock even more bands, i'm not sure if the hardware can handle it or if the settings for these are appropriate.

very interesting...

Why does the last line have two frequencies? (2100 and 1700). does the first line (IMT2K not supported) mean that it doesn't support 2100Mhz 3G?

see now I wish I had a mobile network simulator to test all this...

Why does the last line have two frequencies? (2100 and 1700). does the first line (IMT2K not supported) mean that it doesn't support 2100Mhz 3G?

The first line says 'IMT2k band supported by the UE'; there's no 'not' in that ;)

The 1700/2100 variant is some special case. Number IV in the list of the wikipedia article about UMTS bands.

Guest shmizan
very interesting...

see now I wish I had a mobile network simulator to test all this...

3G 2100 MHz IS working. my network works in 3G 850 and 2100. since 850 isn't working, the only frequency left is 2100 MHz ;)

I will test the 3G 850 MHz with cpg's help shortly, as soon as he answers my PM :P

Edited by shmizan

Guest hedgepigdaniel

my mistake. I guess 1700/2100 refers to the download/upload frequencies.

If its general information, put it on the forum!

Guest shmizan

testing with 3G 850 MHz was done and it doesn't work.

while trying to connect to that band the phone repeatedly reboots itself, much like with cpg trying to enable hsUpa.

Guest eucurto
Also, for testing HSUPA, the most reliable method should be running "adb logcat -b radio" and seeing if you can get "E/QCRIL ( 191): HSPA System" or "D/GSM ( 309): radio tech is 11" to show up. If it says HSDPA and radio tech is 9, HSUPA is not enabled. (Or check NV item 3649 (decimal) - if it reads 1, it's not enabled.)

I tested this using wbaw v7 firmware and the result was "E/QCRIL ( 191): HSDPA System" or "D/GSM ( 309): radio tech is 9"...

So no HSUPA here...

i'm on SapoA5 converted to GEN2 and SS5.