Review of HTC Sensation.

Guest Neel007

Guest Neel007

Hi,

Anyone got a sensation ?

If yes then you can give review here , anything you like or dislike about the phone and phone is worth buying or should buy SGS2 or other phone....

It will help other ppl to make the desicion...

[Even I am planning to buy one but I am bit confused b/w SGS2 and Sensation... So any review will be appericiated. ]

Thanx..

Guest PygoShlee

Hi mate

I've had the Sensation from launch, and can say its a pretty decent phone. It's got alot of great potential once HTC unlock the bootloader. I've just come from a Desire HD so not a huge improvement, but overall build quality and Sense 3.0 are very good. Havent tried an SGS2, so can't compare.

Ask some questions, will make this easier :D

Oh and theres a few videos on my YouTube page testing the Sensation's 1080p camcorder. youtube.com/pygoreviews

Cheers!

Guest Neel007
Hi mate

I've had the Sensation from launch, and can say its a pretty decent phone. It's got alot of great potential once HTC unlock the bootloader. I've just come from a Desire HD so not a huge improvement, but overall build quality and Sense 3.0 are very good. Havent tried an SGS2, so can't compare.

Ask some questions, will make this easier :D

Oh and theres a few videos on my YouTube page testing the Sensation's 1080p camcorder. youtube.com/pygoreviews

Cheers!

thnx for replying.....

The most important thing i really want to know and till now nobody has put it on internet is SMARTBENCH 2011 [not 2010] ...score of htc sensation... both productivity and games....

I am so so curious about this what HTC has improved after pre-production model....even i requested some ppls but nobody has replied....

I will appreciate if you can do this benchmark test and tell me the score ... Smartbench 2011 is free app in market , if you dont know abt it... just install and run it...

My freind has DHD and except this I pretty well know that nothing more is changed from DHD other thn some hardware improvements....

And tell me about it's LED flash... Is it really working well in total dark??? i dont think that tiny led's are good enough....

Edited by Neel007

Guest PygoShlee
thnx for replying.....

The most important thing i really want to know and till now nobody has put it on internet is SMARTBENCH 2011 [not 2010] ...score of htc sensation... both productivity and games....

I am so so curious about this what HTC has improved after pre-production model....even i requested some ppls but nobody has replied....

I will appreciate if you can do this benchmark test and tell me the score ... Smartbench 2011 is free app in market , if you dont know abt it... just install and run it...

My freind has DHD and except this I pretty well know that nothing more is changed from DHD other thn some hardware improvements....

And tell me about it's LED flash... Is it really working well in total dark??? i dont think that tiny led's are good enough....

I've done it, what scores am I looking for?

I'll try out the flash tonight.

Guest Neel007
I've done it, what scores am I looking for?

I'll try out the flash tonight.

Click on run smartbench.

After the test, it will show like Display Index Score.

Click on that.

The most upper one will be your device.with your device name - HTC sensation or pyramid....

Now there will be Green and red bar....

At the end of both the bars there will be 2 scores for both of them separately....

I want to know that scores....

They will be between 1500 to 3500... i hope so....

btw thnx for response...

Edited by Neel007

Guest mwnciflewog

Hi, I can vouch for the dual LED flash on the sensation. I've taken a few shots in total darkness and the images are surprisingly good when the phone is still. Shots can be noisy but that's to be expected, I've attached a shot of my living room taken in total darkness.

Smartbench 2011

Green 2694

Red 1635

Results seem highly variable +/- 400

post-825373-1307049692_thumb.jpg

Edited by mwnciflewog

Guest Neel007
Sorry double post

oh ya images are pretty well.... not better then sgs2 but still not bad too...

Productivity score is good

but games score is very low...only 1600.!!!!!... SGS2 scores nearly 3000.....

anyway but i am still going for sensation , bcoz i like HTC...

and even i dont play games on mobile so that wont be a problem.....

i already told my dad today to get sensation...actually i am getting a phone as a gift but choice is mine [something related to my dad's profession]

so at last i am not regretting as LED's are quite good.....and i can compromise graphics for HTC.

I would like to thank you so much.... for taking tht photo.and helping a lot....

it really helped me.... thnx... :D

Edited by Neel007

Guest Neel007
No, we are not. Why do you think that?

no i was thinking it was you , replied me ..... then later i found that he's the other person.....

btw, my problem got solved...

so thnx.

Guest mwnciflewog

My review would be a great phone, fast, well-built, great camera, Sense 3D is great (but no re-sizeable widgets or rotation so binned for Launcher Pro Plus) a bright crisp screen.

However at the moment with no current method of flashing a new ROM and Radio I am experiencing poor battery life. My setup is.

Advanced Task Killer (auto kill on safe every 30mins) (dont tell me I dont need it)

Launcher Pro Calender Widget

Spark 360 Widget

Text Message Widget

Hotmail (30mins refresh)

Google contacts, mail and calender (every 30mins)

And im at 54% from a full charge this morning 7.30 with light use. Does that seem right? Last phone was a HTC Hero so not sure if the dual core and big screen should drain a battery this quickly? My work phone (HTC Wildfire) can get 5 days on a similar setup (I know screen size etc but i would expect to get a full 24 hours on this quite light setup.)

Or am i expecting too much?

P.S You're welcome Neel007

Guest Neel007
My review would be a great phone, fast, well-built, great camera, Sense 3D is great (but no re-sizeable widgets or rotation so binned for Launcher Pro Plus) a bright crisp screen.

However at the moment with no current method of flashing a new ROM and Radio I am experiencing poor battery life. My setup is.

Advanced Task Killer (auto kill on safe every 30mins) (dont tell me I dont need it)

Launcher Pro Calender Widget

Spark 360 Widget

Text Message Widget

Hotmail (30mins refresh)

Google contacts, mail and calender (every 30mins)

And im at 54% from a full charge this morning 7.30 with light use. Does that seem right? Last phone was a HTC Hero so not sure if the dual core and big screen should drain a battery this quickly? My work phone (HTC Wildfire) can get 5 days on a similar setup (I know screen size etc but i would expect to get a full 24 hours on this quite light setup.)

Or am i expecting too much?

ya, battery problem is a problem with this high end phones.....

but battery life has been so much increased after I changed my Radio version to latest one on my xperia x10.... i hope htc will release new radio...

And they are giving us unlocked bootloader...

so there will be a lot of tweaks by developers soon on sensation....

Edited by Neel007

Guest karnovaran

This is absolutely affecting your battery life whether you want to believe it or not.

Guest rahan95

Benchmarks mean nothing and the supposely weaknesses of the Sensation don't spoil the user experience on a daily basis, that's all that matters to me

i have both devices in hand and they both have their pros and cons

Guest snowy2
Benchmarks mean nothing and the supposely weaknesses of the Sensation don't spoil the user experience on a daily basis, that's all that matters to me

i have both devices in hand and they both have their pros and cons

Interesting....i am looking to get a new mobile contract and have a self imposed budget of £30 a month so i am looking at 4 phones;

Motorola Atrix, LG Optimus 2x, HTC Sensation, and Samsung Galaxy S2. So which one? i would like a comparison from someone who has two or more to compare and give opinions on how they compare.

In early June here in the UK i can find deals for all four, with the phones for free and 600-900 minutes and data packages for £30 or less a month. It is even possible to get the Atrix with the "extras" for about £30 a month.

Of them all the Optrix 2x is the cheapest to find with deals starting at £15 a month with 300 minutes and data (500mb) but i really want either the HTC or Samsung and the choice between the two is giving me the real problem as reviews are often posted by passionate supporters of either phones and are somewhat slanted because of that fact.

Also i cannot help but be pragmatic about the whole thing, i have a deal with 3 for the "one plan" which costs me just £10 a month as a rolling 30 day contract, they will not up grade my phone for a deal cheaper than i can get from the net! Hence my search. but to move my "contract" phone to a new deal to get a shiny new toy which gives me less minutes and less internet for what will be mostly used as a "phone" just does not make sense. I intend to keep my three deal (i can move to a cheaper tariff as i get a £10 a month discount, but the one plan is a special discount at £15) and get a second contract, unlock the phone and use both sims in two phones (current phone is a Hero)

Why i am i having a problem deciding? do i get the Samsung/HTC on a new £30 contract with 600-900 miniutes and 500mb data or the Atrix/Optimus on two contracts costing somewhere about £30-35 a month but on two networks with Unlimited (and unrestricted data) on one phone (and 2000 minutes cross network calls) and a deal which would be 300 minutes and 500mb data starting at £15 a month on the other phone.

Your opinion on the two first choice phones would help me a great deal.

Guest mwnciflewog
This is absolutely affecting your battery life whether you want to believe it or not.

Uninstalled this morning and battery drains at the same rate if not faster.

Guest Neel007
Interesting....i am looking to get a new mobile contract and have a self imposed budget of £30 a month so i am looking at 4 phones;

Motorola Atrix, LG Optimus 2x, HTC Sensation, and Samsung Galaxy S2. So which one? i would like a comparison from someone who has two or more to compare and give opinions on how they compare.

In early June here in the UK i can find deals for all four, with the phones for free and 600-900 minutes and data packages for £30 or less a month. It is even possible to get the Atrix with the "extras" for about £30 a month.

Of them all the Optrix 2x is the cheapest to find with deals starting at £15 a month with 300 minutes and data (500mb) but i really want either the HTC or Samsung and the choice between the two is giving me the real problem as reviews are often posted by passionate supporters of either phones and are somewhat slanted because of that fact.

Also i cannot help but be pragmatic about the whole thing, i have a deal with 3 for the "one plan" which costs me just £10 a month as a rolling 30 day contract, they will not up grade my phone for a deal cheaper than i can get from the net! Hence my search. but to move my "contract" phone to a new deal to get a shiny new toy which gives me less minutes and less internet for what will be mostly used as a "phone" just does not make sense. I intend to keep my three deal (i can move to a cheaper tariff as i get a £10 a month discount, but the one plan is a special discount at £15) and get a second contract, unlock the phone and use both sims in two phones (current phone is a Hero)

Why i am i having a problem deciding? do i get the Samsung/HTC on a new £30 contract with 600-900 miniutes and 500mb data or the Atrix/Optimus on two contracts costing somewhere about £30-35 a month but on two networks with Unlimited (and unrestricted data) on one phone (and 2000 minutes cross network calls) and a deal which would be 300 minutes and 500mb data starting at £15 a month on the other phone.

Your opinion on the two first choice phones would help me a great deal.

Sorry , first thing i dont understand your plans bcoz we dont have such plan and specific carrier system here , pay full and get the phone.... so I have no idea about that...

But i can give some information about the phones.... and what is the major difference as I have been watching a lot of videos about these phone in last few months...

1. Motorola Atrix- i dont prefer motorola as they look so cheap and to buy such a costly mobile which dont even look like that is a waste of money... Still motorola atrix is a powerful phone and fast too... with nvidia tegra 2 GPU and dual core but except that nothing is special in it....

2.Optimus 2X - even this one looks ugly... it's stock UI is so sick that u'll get irritated of that. but performance wise it's a beast. It scores highest in benchmark tests... as it has nvidia tegra 2 and 1.2 GHz dual core which can be overclocked... but it still depends on you if you can compromise for look and UI..... and really want to buy LG phone

Now about both of remaining phones I am even damn confused since last one month....

[Last time I did a big mistake buying Sony Xperia X10i without searching much on internet about it's review.... so this time I did a lot of research for my next mobile...Still I dont have 2.3 update for my phone and I am running custom made 2.2 ROM]

3. HTC sensation - 1.2 GHZ dual core with adreno 220 -

this phone is scoring low on benchmark but one person somewhere replied me that it is having asynchronous CPU.. it means the other CPU is only triggred when it's needed.. I think that is the main reason it's unable to outperfrom in benchmark test.... And the other reason is it has qHD screen which has higher resolution , which decreases gaming benchmark scores...

HTC sense 3.0 - i like the sense UI... and it's best in all 4 of here....

Build quality - the best

HTC- good in updating phones

Major drawback against SGS2 are-

lack of SUPER amoled display. It looks better when the screen is facing against you... but from different angles it has no comparison with SGS2...

LED- even if it has dual led's , they are not as powerful as SGS2's single one.... I have seen both in videos...

Internal memory- dont have much except that of ROM

EDIT...... GPS- sluggish then SGS2

Battery life.

4 SGS2 - 1.2 GHZ dual with mali-400 GPU -

Mali-400 looks like outperforming most of other GPU's.. So if you are a real gamer on mobile , you must buy this phone.

SuperAMOLED - it's quite impressive...and it's so clear no matter if u are viewing it from 180 degree too.....

Perfromance- Ovarall faster---- browser performance is even better then sensation ... but it doesnt matter too much bcoz it's fraction of a second

GPS -it's quite fast..

Cases[covers]- there are lot of cases already in market ... if u love to have it on your phone.... but i dont think HTC will get much cases bcoz of it's design....

Internal- 16gb

Major drawback-

UI- Touchwiz 4.0 - i dont really like this UI.... It has the ugliest lockscreen and totally lacks the features unlike HTC sense.... you have to download widgets and good applications to make UI look better.... but sense is itself very good that you dont feel much like changing it....

Build quality - made of plastic.... looks little cheaper but not as much like Atrix and LG....

I decided to buy HTC ,

bcoz i am not a gamer on mobile , as i do my most of gaming on laptop , and most of time i dont do....

i like the unibody metal construction and feel of HTC in hand which is for me much better then SGS2...

I want HTC sense 3.0

LED's are quite good in HTC...[ i decided it after watching the picture posted above]

HTC is going to unlock bootloader... so there will be lot of developer's who will tweak sensation and will make it even faster.....

For more information visit here-- http://www.youtube.com/user/samjpullen

and subscribe him and support him if you like his work....

he's good guy and making useful videos ondemand....

Edited by Neel007

Guest Neel007

Hey i have one question...

Can we add HTC sense widgets on Launcher Pro.... or it disappears in launcher pro?

Guest snowy2

Thanks for your reply, i have been trying to convince myself that the HTC is the one to go because it has a higher res screen and will be more useful when looking at web pages. But there are many who say the Samsung is better. I cannot help wonder if the benchmarking software is not up to testing dual core phones yet. I also wonder if the lack of on-board memory will hamper the HTC, and here i think that the Samsung may have the edge. But i too like the HTC phones and have used my Hero for the last two years without problems, once i got used to it.

I think i may have to flip a coin.

Guest Neel007
Thanks for your reply, i have been trying to convince myself that the HTC is the one to go because it has a higher res screen and will be more useful when looking at web pages. But there are many who say the Samsung is better. I cannot help wonder if the benchmarking software is not up to testing dual core phones yet. I also wonder if the lack of on-board memory will hamper the HTC, and here i think that the Samsung may have the edge. But i too like the HTC phones and have used my Hero for the last two years without problems, once i got used to it.

The higher resolution is not actually making much of difference in browsing.....

p.s you're welcome

Guest mwnciflewog
Hey i have one question...

Can we add HTC sense widgets on Launcher Pro.... or it disappears in launcher pro?

Hi, sorry no sense widgets if your using launcher pro.

Mat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Albedo39

Hi,

I've had the HTC Hero for the past 18 months also, and had been codsidering either the Sensation or the Galaxy S2. A lot of web-sites have recommended the Samsung saying it's speed, light weight and amoled screen put it ahead of the Sensation, but I personaly prefer the solidity and weight of the Sensation.

I too have doubts over the benchmarking scores....to be honest, I'm not too fussed that the Galaxy might be a wee bit faster in some tests, I'm more interested in real world use and I know I'll really enjoy using the Sensation.

The memory was also a factor, but hopefully the 1gb internal storage should be enough and I'll move as much as possible to the sd card.

My brother has the Samsung and I played around with it for a bit, but I diddn't like the really cheap plasticy feel of the phone, and also the shape of the phone, which has slightly sharper corners than the Sensation, and just didn't feel confortable in the hand.

I really liked the Hero and the Sense UI is easilly the best android overlay available, it's just so slick and polished compared to Samsung's Touchwiz.

I've decided to go for the HTC Sensation, and picked mine up today :)

First impressions are great, the S-LCD screen is really sharp and bright, and it just feels right in the hand, and you'll definatly love the upgrade from the HTC Hero !

I'll add a few more comments once I've had had a good play around with the phone.