Vodafone 858/Smart (Huawei U8160)

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
hey guys. just got this phone too. so what's the easiest way to root it before installing clockwork recovery? i'm a noob so need help. would it be to download 'z4root' from the app market?

yeah, or if you can download the APK on your PC and install it from the SDcard using the FileManager

Guest witnessmenow
yeah, or if you can download the APK on your PC and install it from the SDcard using the FileManager

Hey Seb, I saw someone posted a link to a github owned by you for Cyanogenmod for this phone, is it looking any way feasible?

Also, is there a good place to learn about developing/tweaking roms? I'm a software dev who will have some spare time in August and I wouldn't mind spending a bit of time at it.

Guest Sebastian404
Hey Seb, I saw someone posted a link to a github owned by you for Cyanogenmod for this phone, is it looking any way feasible?

Also, is there a good place to learn about developing/tweaking roms? I'm a software dev who will have some spare time in August and I wouldn't mind spending a bit of time at it.

I put together enough of the Cyanogenmod config to build the recovery image, its part of my build of ClockworkMod recovery.

I'm don't really have the time or resources at the minute to start looking into porting Cyanogenmod to it...

Its fairly similar device to the u8150 and I believe that is supported, so Im sure it wont be long before someone does the necessary.

Guest Angmorr

Hi!

I have tried the Dc-unlocker, but not recognised by the program. May be the problem is with the usb driver of the phone. If someone knows a solution, please let us to know!

Angmorr

Guest Daniel Meah
Hi!

I have tried the Dc-unlocker, but not recognised by the program. May be the problem is with the usb driver of the phone. If someone knows a solution, please let us to know!

Angmorr

Follow the guide here http://www.dc-unlocker.com/huawei_u8150_de...nlock_procedure

To start the phone in fastboot press the back key and Power on Together for 5 seconds

Then connect your Phone If Needed do a driver update via Device manager in windows. And auto update

Hope this helps!

Guest witnessmenow
Hi!

Angmorr

I got it to work this morning:

Plug the battery out of the phone.

Plug it back in (sometimes it turns on automatically, if it does just plug it out and in agian)

Power it up by holding the power button and the volume down button, keep them held down for like 20-30 seconds. The Egg timer should stay on screen

Plug it into your PC.

Follow the instructions here

Good Luck!

Edited by witnessmenow

Guest Angmorr

Hi!

I did the same that you told me, but when the phone is connected to the computer (Windows 7 x64), it told me that no driver for Android 1.0 and when I try to search the internet for the auto-update, there is no driver for the device. The driver which is on the phone is not the proper driver, when I ask the program to find in the directory, it tells me there is no driver for the device.

So, any other option? Or anyone has the proper driver for Huawei U8160/Vodafone 858 Smart (Windows 7 x64)?

Thank you for everyone's help!

Angmorr

Guest b1g1an

Never used dc-unlocker before but just followed those instructions to the letter using XP and it worked perfectly. Now looking forward to banishing all signs of Vodafone, bar the logo embedded in the front of course, thanks to Sebastian404's hard work.

On dc-unlocker's forum it said to hold power, volume down and home keys for five seconds.

Edited by b1g1an

• 1 month later...
Guest avilella

In case anyone is still following this, I tried building a kernel today..

Using the 'general' kernel source from Huawei's support site (kernel-2.6.32-FROYO.tar.bz2) and the devices .config file there seems to be a lot of missing stuff in the .config, and no matter what options I picked I could not get a kernal to boot.

I thought I'd give the U8150's source a go (kernel-2.6.32-U8150-Froyo.zip) and it would build perfectly fine, but still no go in the booting stakes...

I am eagerly following. I'll get mine and put cyanogenmod the same moment you give me the thumbs up :-)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest PJ77

And the Stock ROM can be found HERE.

Should we install this stock rom we get from your link through CWM?

I ask this because its a zip file and stock roms should be installed by (Vol up + Vol down + Power) procedure...

I tried to flash this via CWM and my phone is bricked.

Won't pass Huwaei screen and I can't go back to CWM nor the computer recognise the device when in Pink Screen..

Edited by PJ77

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smethrony

Vodafone 858 is a very affordable smart Android phone that giving you Internet, social networking and multimedia facility. It has 2.8" QVGA touchscreen display, 2MP camera with 1600x1200 pixels resolution, Wi-Fi, A-GPS and Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity.