Ultimate Guide to the Huawei U8800

Guest That-Guy

Guest That-Guy

Best Places to buy the Huawei U8800

Seems to be the best deal so far Super eTrader. (includes 1 years Modaco Ad-Free)

The good old trusted Carphone Warehouse.

Also another site Gum Mobile. (Suggested by NeostarNeko)

You may also be able to pick up a bargain on eBay. (Avoid e_cell if possible, very slow delivery)

Also found the U8800 on Amazon UK.

User Manual and Drivers for the U8800

The U8800 does not come with a Full Manual in the box so thought it would be good to post a link to a PDF Version. Also if you are running older Windows Operating Systems (XP and below) you may need to install drivers when connecting your phone to your PC so I have also included the Driver Setup Files below.

Huawei U8800 User Manual - Download Here

Huawei U8800 Windows Drivers - Download Here

Unlocking the Huawei U8800

If you have purchased your U8800 Sim free it will be Unlocked already so you can use any Sim Card. If you have purchased your U8800 on Pay as you Go there is a good chance it is network locked and will only work with that networks Sim Cards.

There is currently no free method to unlock the U8800 but you can pay for unlock codes with these tried and tested sites:

Unlock Huawei and Unlock Direct

With both the sites above you should have your unlock code within 24 hours.

Rooting the Huawei U8800

This is very easy, simply use Super Boot. This also upgrades device from EXT3 to EXT4 and adds performance tweaks to the kernel.

1) Extract the boot.img from the zip file (rename if not called that).

2) Turn on your phone while holding VOL+ and VOL- (should come up with pink/purple screen)

3) Connect to computer.

4) Go to My Computer and Browse your phone to find the folder with boot.img in.

5) Replace the boot.img with the one you extracted from the zip file.

Installing ClockworkMod on the Huawei U8800

I used the version on the XDA Forums which works spot on for me. This is not an Official Release but that is being worked on as we speak, I will keep you updated.

1) Extract the recovery.img from the zip file.

2) Turn on your phone while holding VOL+ and VOL- (should come up with pink/purple screen)

3) Connect to computer.

4) Go to My Computer and Browse your phone to find the folder with recovery.img in.

5) Replace the recovery.img with the one you extracted from the zip file.

Latest Firmware for the Huawei U8800

Check the Modaco Wiki to find and download the latest firmware for the Huawei U8800.

Latest versions at date of writing this guide:

- V100R001C00B136 (Overseas General version) 2011-05-17

- V100R001C17B160CUSTC17D002 (China Unicom) 2011-04-29

To update your firmware download the Huawei Firmware you want and unzip it, there should be a folder called "dload" copy that folder and its contents to your sdcard.

Power off phone then hold both volume buttons while powering on the phone, the update should start.

Installing a Custom ROM on the Huawei U8800

1) Make sure you have ClockworkMod Installed.

2) Download the ROM File you want (zip file) and place on the root of the SD Card.

3) Make sure you have Backed up Contacts and Anything you want to keep.

4) Power on your Phone while holding the VOL+ Button to boot into ClockworkMod.

5) Go to Backup a Restore and Choose Backup. This will do a Full Backup of your phone and save it to the SD Card.

6) Once backup is complete go back to the ClockworkMod Main Menu.

7) Choose Wipe Data /Factory Reset, then go back to main menu.

8) Choose Wipe Cache Partition, then go back to main menu.

9) Go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache, then go back to main menu.

10) Choose Install zip from SD Card and select the ROM you have placed on the SD Card.

11) Once installed go back to the ClockworkMod main menu and choose Reboot System Now.

12) Your phone will restart and may take a fair few minutes to boot up.

13) Enjoy your new ROM.

Re-Partition your U8800 to Gain More Space for Apps

Thanks to Geno.Kolar you can now re-partition your U8800 to gain loads of extra space for apps.

The Standard Partition Sizes are: 600mb Data & 2gb Internal SD

After you have re-partitioned your U8800: 1.2gb Data & 1.46gb Internal SD

Data storage space is expanded permanently, no matter what ROM you are going to flash, including official ROM!

No side-effects, very safe.

To find out more information view Geno.Kolar's Thread: Here

Circle Battery Mod for the Huawei U8800

batterymod.jpg

Designed for Standard Froyo White Notification Bar.

This patch edits your framework-res.apk File.

Simply Flash with ClockworkMod.

Tested on Firmware V100R001C00B136

Download the zip file here: DOWNLOAD

Edit build.prop file to increase/tweak Performance

The file you need to edit is "/system/build.prop" but make sure to backup first!

Add the following line to make the UI more responsive (the higher the number the more responsive)

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=75

Change the following from "false" to "true" to enable key unlocking screen.

ro.config.hw_menu_unlockscreen=false

Change the following from "240" to "225" to increase the resolution of the display.

ro.sf.lcd_density=240

Change the following from "24m" to "32m" MAY help increase stability and performance.

dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

Disable Screen Wake when volume keys are pressed.

Find: ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=1 change to: ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=0

Wake Screen quicker during a call.

Find: mot.proximity.delay=450 change to: mot.proximity.delay=150 (if line is not there simply add it)

Huawei U8800 Custom ROMs

FLB Custom ROM with Online Kitchen (Personal Favourite) - Details Here

B160 (Seems Stable) - Details Here

B158 (Seems Stable) - Details Here

Void (Seems Stable) - Details Here

MIUI (Usable but some Functions not working) - Details Here

Oxygen (Usable but some Functions not working) - Details Here

CyanogenMod 6.1.1 (Alpha, Usable) - Details Here

CyanogenMod 7 (Alpha, unusable) - Details Here

Fix Low Call Volume using Speaker Phone and Bluetooth Headset

1) Make sure your phone is Rooted.

2) Using Root Explorer or Similar Navigate to /etc

3) Press the Button "Mount R/W"

4) Longpress on the file "hwVolumeFactor.cfg" and Open in Text Editor.

5) Change the values for "speaker=" and "wired_headset=" settings that are popular seem to be "speaker=90" and "wired_headset=75"

6) Save & Exit.

7) Restart your Phone.

Access Hidden Menu on Huawei U8800

This hidden menu is only basic but will give you things like Battery Stats and a few WiFi Settings.

In the dialler type: *#*#INFO#*#*

Disable Popup when switching from WiFi to 3G on Huawei U8800

When switching from WiFi to 3G you will receive a message saying something like "You May Be Charged" blah blah. To disable the mesage follow these instructions:

1) Make sure your Phone is Rooted.

2) Using Root Explorer or Similar Navigate to /system/

3) Find the file "build.prop" and make it editable by changing permissions to 777.

4) Long press on the file and edit in the Text Editor.

5) Look for "ro.config.hw_RemindWifiToPdp=true" and change to "ro.config.hw_RemindWifiToPdp=false".

6) Save the changes and change the file permission back to 644.

7) Reboot the phone and enjoy no popup.

Gingerbread Style Theme for the Huawei U8800

Thanks to TheManicGibbon we now have a Gingerbread Style Theme for the U8800!

The theme so far changes the following:

- Power Control Widget

- Settings Menu Icons

- Status Bar Icons (Green Style)

- Status Bar Colour (Black)

- Status Bar Notification Font Colour (White)

This theme is still being developed but you can download the current version here: JGM Software Gingerbread Theme

Black Magic HTC Sense Inspired Theme for the Huawei U8800

Created using B137 Files (Android 2.2.2) but may work with 2.2.1 based ROMs.

- HTC Sense Style Notification Area

- Circle Battery Mod

- Sense Style Notification Bar Icons

- Carrier Logo Changed to White

- Clock Changed to White

- Gingerbread Style Launcher

- Bottom Popup Menu Text Colour Changed

More Information and Download - Here

Fix for Screen Shots coming out Pink on the Huawei U8800

I tried taking a screen shot with Shootme but the shots were coming out all pink (very strange).

To fix this download "Drocap2" from the market and go to settings to enable "Swap endian" which gives the screen shots their correct colour.

Remove Bundled Apps from the Huawei U8800

Well the U8800 comes with a few bundled apps, they are easy enough to remove.

1) Make sure your phone is Rooted.

2) Using a File Explorer like "Root Explorer" navigate to "system/app"

3) Remove apps you don't want **BE VERY CAREFUL**

Enable 2 Finger Rotation in Google Maps 5

Does exactly what its says on the tin, it allows you to spin the map on the screen using 2 fingers.

You need to edit the following file (I used Root Explorer) - /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml

Look for this line:

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

Add the following line directly below it:

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" />

Once done save the changes and restart your phone, test to make sure it works!

Change the Browsers User Agent on the Huawei U8800

Changing the Web Browsers User Agent allows you to "Trick" websites into thinking you are viewing the webpage from another platform/browser.

This should work on any Android device running the stock browser:

- Type about:debug in the Browsers Address Bar.

- Go to More > Settings in the browsers menu.

- Scroll down to "UAString" and choose between Android, Desktop or iPhone.

This is handy if you don't want to see the mobile version of a website, just choose "Desktop" and the website will display the full website on your phones browser.

Huawei U8800 Battery Recalibration

You will need ClockworkMod installed to do this. I try and do this every time I install a new ROM.

If you are suffering from poor battery life this process should help boost the performance.

1 Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

2 Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3 Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge for 30mins.

4 Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5 Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger for another 30mins.

6 Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats.

Silicone Cases and Screen Protectors for the Huawei U8800

Silicone Cases:

Best bet would be ebay at the moment, I used This Seller (UK Seller)

Screen Protectors:

More expensive but great quality Savvies Screen Protectors

Cheaper screen protectors can be found on ebay, I used This Seller (UK Seller)

Edited by That-Guy

Guest Cirno

Thanks for the quick guide !

Minor question, when rooting with modaco's way will it conflict with my stock rom?

As I mine is purchased in Sweden, it seems I got rom B133.

I wanted to try out this one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1059753

Which is B160, as I read the modaco had some changes from ext3 to ext4 and kernel thingy, will they not be overwritten or deal problem if I wish to install this rom?

Sorry to bother with nonsense questions however I would like to know !

Guest That-Guy
Thanks for the quick guide !

Minor question, when rooting with modaco's way will it conflict with my stock rom?

As I mine is purchased in Sweden, it seems I got rom B133.

I wanted to try out this one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1059753

Which is B160, as I read the modaco had some changes from ext3 to ext4 and kernel thingy, will they not be overwritten or deal problem if I wish to install this rom?

Sorry to bother with nonsense questions however I would like to know !

Some people have reported rebooting with this rooting method and other ROMs, it works fine on the latest International ROM: V100R001C00B136

As for others you will have to try, just remember to do a backup in Clockwork First :D

If you report back your results I will add to the list above!

Guest Cirno
Some people have reported rebooting with this rooting method and other ROMs, it works fine on the latest International ROM: V100R001C00B136

As for others you will have to try, just remember to do a backup in Clockwork First :D

If you report back your results I will add to the list above!

Is there any where I can see the changelog for B136. I wanna know what greatness it has for me :D

Guest That-Guy
Is there any where I can see the changelog for B136. I wanna know what greatness it has for me :D

Not sure of the exact changes but I know its mainly bug fixes and performance. One main thing is more reliable WiFi :D

Guest Cirno
Not sure of the exact changes but I know its mainly bug fixes and performance. One main thing is more reliable WiFi :D

I will try out first B160.

Guest That-Guy
I will try out first B160.

Have added the 4 custom ROMs I know about to the guide above, also added a method to adjust incall volume :D

Guest Cirno
Have added the 4 custom ROMs I know about to the guide above, also added a method to adjust incall volume :D

Oh its not the call that is the problem its the sound quality. I have heard that most with stock have bad quality of the sound.

Guest Dr_Ash

ok, question: when I move apps to the SD card it puts them on my EXTERNAL SD, as the phone comes with an INTERNAL SD as well, is there any way to make apps install/move to the internal SD instead?

Guest Cirno
ok, question: when I move apps to the SD card it puts them on my EXTERNAL SD, as the phone comes with an INTERNAL SD as well, is there any way to make apps install/move to the internal SD instead?

You have an internal sd?

I don't see such thing !

Guest Dr_Ash
You have an internal sd?

I don't see such thing !

yeah when I look at the storage settings it shows:

SD Card

Internal SD Card (2GB)

Internal Phone Storage

Guest Cirno
yeah when I look at the storage settings it shows:

SD Card

Internal SD Card (2GB)

Internal Phone Storage

Checked again, no can't see :S

Guest Cirno

Sorry for double post can see it now. Just one minor thing I can't move anything to it with the phone lol !

I got 2GB internal sd and 8GB external, only the external seem to which to be filled not the internal, I am guessing the internal serves as backup when internal storage is gone or for camera ?

Guest That-Guy

Added details about Accessing Hidden Menu and Disabling Annoying Popup in the first post :D

If anyone has anything else they want adding let me know!

Guest Cirno
Added details about Accessing Hidden Menu and Disabling Annoying Popup in the first post :D

If anyone has anything else they want adding let me know!

Yeah I would like a proper installation guide for using custom roms, would really like that. I am afraid I might have done something bad with my installation(B160).

Wifi drops after using it for a while, it doesn't sleep properly can wake up it with volume buttons isn't supposed to do this. Other than that it works kinda good.

Guest That-Guy
Yeah I would like a proper installation guide for using custom roms, would really like that. I am afraid I might have done something bad with my installation(B160).

Wifi drops after using it for a while, it doesn't sleep properly can wake up it with volume buttons isn't supposed to do this. Other than that it works kinda good.

OK give me a few mins and I will knock up a quick guide is that cool?

Guest Cirno
OK give me a few mins and I will knock up a quick guide is that cool?

Yeah, also give more time later on for the quick guide, so it can become a full lengthen guide !

Guest Cirno
Have now added "Installing a Custom ROM on the Huawei U8800" to the first post.

Hope this helps you :D

Seems like the same steps I used for the ZTE blade, yet I get problem some people don't with my Huawei using the B160.

I will give the B136 a try, do follow same procedure and where was it I could get the B136, at the wiki?

Guest That-Guy

To update your firmware download the Huawei firmware you want and unzip it, there should be a folder called "dload" copy that folder and its contents to your sdcard. Power off phone then hold both volume buttons while powering on the phone, the update should start.

Edited by That-Guy

Guest Cirno
To update your firmware download the Huawei firmware you want and unzip it, there should be a folder called "dload" copy that folder and its contents to your sdcard. Power off phone then hold both volume buttons while powering on the phone, the update should start.

So I who installed the custom rom had the old firmware on the phone?

Guest Cirno
To the external card :D

Okay I updated to the B136 with firmware update thingy.

Wondering will I be able to have the overclock option?

Also when pressing the volume buttons in sleep mode wakes it up how can I prevent it?

Will my wifi connection now not drop randomly after active use and will it be reconnect when I wake it up faster than before?

**EDIT**

After firmware update I seem to have lost clockworkmod, should do same thing again now?

Install again the clockworkmod?

Edited by Cirno