Ultimate Guide to the Huawei U8800

Guest That-Guy

Guest Simon O

Swype is available on B136 and B137.. it's just not automatically installed for some reason. The swype installer is inside /cust which you can navigate to using any file manager. Also you'll fine Huawei IME and Layar.

Guest That-Guy
Swype is available on B136 and B137.. it's just not automatically installed for some reason. The swype installer is inside /cust which you can navigate to using any file manager. Also you'll fine Huawei IME and Layar.

Do I need that Cust folder? or can I delete the contents?

Guest Kaboosey

Didn't have the chance to thank you earlier when I first got my phone.

So, now, thank you for compiling all in one guide for this phone! :)

Guest Kaboosey
Do I need that Cust folder? or can I delete the contents?

IMO, it's better if you just rename it and put .bak in the end.

For me, in my cust folder I have maxis (which is a carrier) then my (country I supposed). I went into app then rename every .apk in there and give .bak at the end.

All of the apps inside the folder was not installed.

Hope that helps.

P/S - not sure if it's safe to delete though. but my suggestion is to just rename it.

Guest That-Guy
Didn't have the chance to thank you earlier when I first got my phone.

So, now, thank you for compiling all in one guide for this phone! :)

No problems B)

If you have any ideas of the guide or found something you want adding let me know :D

Guest That-Guy

Added details on how to "Change the Browsers User Agent on the Huawei U8800" to the first post :)

Edited by That-Guy

Guest Cirno

I wonder if its possible to obtain a guide about how each launcher work with U8800. Would really love to see a such guide with pictures and explanations.

Guest That-Guy
I wonder if its possible to obtain a guide about how each launcher work with U8800. Would really love to see a such guide with pictures and explanations.

Your welcome to post up a review of each launcher and how it performs on the U8800 :)

Guest sebgus

The choice of launcher is quite personal I think. Some prioritize speed, others eye candy (and so on..).

One thing that I can say is that I don't know why so many are using LauncherPro. I experience Go Launcher Ex being faster, more customizable and it's free! So if you are looking for something else than LauncherPro, try Go Launcher Ex.

If you want lightweight there is Zeam, but that was too lightweight for me.

But I would say that launchers are very personal.

Guest Özgürce

Hi. I just upgrade my U8800 to official B137. (For warranty reasons) Everythings seems to be fine but i can't find the swype. And i don't have a /cust folder :S Am i missing something here?

Guest Cirno
Hi. I just upgrade my U8800 to official B137. (For warranty reasons) Everythings seems to be fine but i can't find the swype. And i don't have a /cust folder :S Am i missing something here?

The official B137 does not come with any special applications and it's pretty much clean. So I would say no you are not missing it but you could maybe add it later. I would recommend waiting for CM7 which should be something special for our device U8800.

Guest Özgürce
The official B137 does not come with any special applications and it's pretty much clean. So I would say no you are not missing it but you could maybe add it later. I would recommend waiting for CM7 which should be something special for our device U8800.

Thanks for the reply. Until the CM7, how can i go back to B136? Is Official B136 have Swype or other softwares?

Guest Cirno
Thanks for the reply. Until the CM7, how can i go back to B136? Is Official B136 have Swype or other softwares?

I have no idea, as I haven't seen it :S

Guest Özgürce

So after trying everything, I can't access the swype. I copy the Swype_U8800_euro.pak from cust folder. (Huawei ime etc.) And Install it. Everything work fine but when i go the swype settings, it give a stopped workingg swype.android.input.method error. And not working. I guess i don't have any other options but wait for CM7.

Guest Poulsen8r
So after trying everything, I can't access the swype. I copy the Swype_U8800_euro.pak from cust folder. (Huawei ime etc.) And Install it. Everything work fine but when i go the swype settings, it give a stopped workingg swype.android.input.method error. And not working. I guess i don't have any other options but wait for CM7.

Remove any trace of the old swype and use swype 3.0 beta. It's awesome. CM7 will NOT include swype since it is proprietary software. Use the beta, I haven't had any issues.

Check all these places for any files with swype in the name:

/data/app

/data/data

/data/lib

/cust_backup (and all subsequent folders)

Then install swype beta.

Available Languages Here: http://beta.swype.com/android/supported/

Site Here: http://beta.swype.com/

Edited by Poulsen8r

Guest That-Guy

Guide now updated!

- 3 New ROMs added to list.

- New Link to Quality Screen Protectors.

- Links to Reliable U8800 Unlocking Sites.

As always suggestions and comments are welcome :)

Guest Cirno
Guide now updated!

- 3 New ROMs added to list.

- New Link to Quality Screen Protectors.

- Links to Reliable U8800 Unlocking Sites.

As always suggestions and comments are welcome :)

One thing I find bad is the MIUI rom is incomplete :rolleyes:

I wish really badly it will be fixed and worked around more, I miss the excitement I had with Blade. Always updates news changes and happy people and generous developers !

I wish people could upgrade and join the U8800 crew :rolleyes:

Guest That-Guy
One thing I find bad is the MIUI rom is incomplete :rolleyes:

I wish really badly it will be fixed and worked around more, I miss the excitement I had with Blade. Always updates news changes and happy people and generous developers !

I wish people could upgrade and join the U8800 crew :)

Think there will be allot more people when it comes back in stock.

Everywhere seems to have sold out :rolleyes:

Guest trancer01

I have a question about adding the line windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=75 in the build.prop file. Is it OK to just add it at the end of the file or should I put it on some other specific place within the file?

Edited by trancer01

Guest That-Guy
I have a question about adding the line windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=75 in the build.prop file. Is it OK to just add it at the end of the file or should I put it on some other specific place within the file?

At the end should be fine :)