Using Heimdall to install MCK?

Guest professordes

Guest professordes

Can I "safely" install the MCK r3 with heimdall (after extracting the zImage from the zip) by using?

heimdall flash --kernel zImage --recovery zImage

- this as a prelude to installing the full MCR.....

Presumably if I then boot into the clockwordmod recovery I get the ext4 conversion?

I tried installing Paul's kernel with flash_image by hand in the style of Koush's post at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=870690

but that left me stuck at the Samsung boot splash screen and I had to use heimdall to restore the original kernel and rfs.

Thought - might this have been due to a signed bootloader? I have ...XWJMK

Edited by professordes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kindadumb
Can I "safely" install the MCK r3 with heimdall (after extracting the zImage from the zip) by using?

heimdall flash --kernel zImage --recovery zImage

- this as a prelude to installing the full MCR.....

Presumably if I then boot into the clockwordmod recovery I get the ext4 conversion?

I tried installing Paul's kernel with flash_image by hand in the style of Koush's post at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=870690

but that left me stuck at the Samsung boot splash screen and I had to use heimdall to restore the original kernel and rfs.

Thought - might this have been due to a signed bootloader? I have ...XWJMK

So, here is kind of the break down of what I did. IF it helps, awesome. Maybe I just got lucky.

Note: I did all of this in mint linux 8 (kernel 2.6.31-14)

I finally got heimdall to install (version 1.1.1) after installing the necessary libusb dependencies and using --force-depends on the dpkg

I used the following command with my tab in download mode:

heimdall flash --kernel zImage

using the zImage from p1000-mck-r3-ext4-cwm.tar

First time I ran the command, it failed at handshake with Loke...no clue what that meant, but the flash didn't seem to take.

Rebooted the tab and got a nice picture of a cell phone trying to talk to a computer with a triangle caution sign in the middle. I thought, "oh, s***".

Figured, wth, hooked the tab back up and flashed it in this new mode (new to me). Success.

Tab rebooted and stalled at Samsung logo like MCK said it would. Rebooted again and it went to ClockworkmodRecovery mode (installed by the kernel flash, not separately by me)

Immediately tried to auto-install the kernel and realized that I didn't have ext4 on my tab...auto backup to my 16GB microSD, converted to ext4, reinstalled kernel files. Sweet

Rebooted and the damn thing hung up at the T-Mobile logo. WTF again. Could not get into recovery mode, but could get back into Download Mode.

Rebooted to Download mode and said, wth and reflashed MCK again, Success. Tab auto rebooted back into what looked like my original OS. Rebooted to recovery mode and ClockworkmodRecovery was there, Badass.

Going to try to install MoDaCo custom rom tonight and see how she runs. Basically we did the same thing, I just rebooted to download mode and reflashed again for shits and grins and it worked. I'd be interested to hear if you get it to work.

Cheers