Stolen android

Guest Arival

Guest Arival

Hi,

My sisters phone was stolen today, a Samsung Galaxy S. She didn't have any security software such as wavesecure installed - does anyone have any suggestions as to how to track it? Is there an app on the market which can be intalled using the market remotely and then used without needing access to the phone or is that wishful thinking?

Really regret not installing wavesecure for her round about now.

Guest FlatPackPete

I'm afraid not, but if you haven't already done it please tell you sisters network provider it's stolen and they can block the IMEI and make the phone into a shiny paperweight

Guest Arival
I'm afraid not, but if you haven't already done it please tell you sisters network provider it's stolen and they can block the IMEI and make the phone into a shiny paperweight

Have done. I tried 'Plan B' from the market but there was obviously no reception (it was off and i guess her sim lock stopped them putting another sim in). My main worry is for her personal details on there, i wish i'd put wavesecure on there so that we could wipe it, she has a sim lock and a pattern lock on the phone but sim locks only stop you using the sim right? you can still use the rest of the phone by cancelling it, and pattern locks aren't very secure :) She's changed all her passwords but any emails, texts etc already on the phone would be accessible. Her insurance won't pay out either as she dropped the phone on her drivers seat as she got out the car, went to town and realised she didn't have her phone so went back to get it but by the time she got there the window was smashed and the phone taken. They won't pay out as they don't cover phones stolen from cars unless they're in a locked glovebox, something she doesn't have and even if she did she wouldn't have left it there, it just fell out B)

Guest JingleJo
Have done. I tried 'Plan B' from the market but there was obviously no reception (it was off and i guess her sim lock stopped them putting another sim in). My main worry is for her personal details on there, i wish i'd put wavesecure on there so that we could wipe it, she has a sim lock and a pattern lock on the phone but sim locks only stop you using the sim right? you can still use the rest of the phone by cancelling it, and pattern locks aren't very secure :) She's changed all her passwords but any emails, texts etc already on the phone would be accessible. Her insurance won't pay out either as she dropped the phone on her drivers seat as she got out the car, went to town and realised she didn't have her phone so went back to get it but by the time she got there the window was smashed and the phone taken. They won't pay out as they don't cover phones stolen from cars unless they're in a locked glovebox, something she doesn't have and even if she did she wouldn't have left it there, it just fell out B)

O god... where did this all happen...good luck...

Guest Arival
O god... where did this all happen...good luck...

About 20 minutes before my first post :-( she's gutted, her first smartphone and despite paying a fortune for insurance they won't pay out. Even worse, she called vodafone to block it straight away. She then asked for proof it was blocked yesterday, only to be told it's not blocked and they have no record of her calling!? I was there while she made that call - they screwed up and are covering their own backs :-(

About 20 minutes before my first post :-( she's gutted, her first smartphone and despite paying a fortune for insurance they won't pay out. Even worse, she called vodafone to block it straight away. She then asked for proof it was blocked yesterday, only to be told it's not blocked and they have no record of her calling!? I was there while she made that call - they screwed up and are covering their own backs :-(

Buzzkill :)

May be worth checking car insurance, home insurance (contents away from home) and travel insurance (she may have a year long policy that covers some things). Get a crime reference number if you have not done, also prints may be left, many opportunist criminals are regulars with the authorities.

Edited by -+-

Guest Arival
Buzzkill B)

May be worth checking car insurance, home insurance (contents away from home) and travel insurance (she may have a year long policy that covers some things). Get a crime reference number if you have not done, also prints may be left, many opportunist criminals are regulars with the authorities.

Car insurance is third party, house insurance won't cover car contents and no travel insurance :D She got a crime reference number straight away and forensics looked over the car but they only found glove prints.

She's being completely messed about by vodafone.

Vodafone kept denying any record of the call, so she got a record of the call from the phone company. Called back and after speaking to a manager got an apology from them, he said they had no record because they have no centralised database and that each centre keeps their own records of calls?! They offered her either a written letter saying that they messed up, that she had called them within 12 hours but they failed to act, or alternatively they said could forgo that and just replace her galaxy S with a phone free of charge, because it was their fault. She said 'ok send me a galaxy s and we'll close this', only to be told they were out of stock. She noted that they had it on their website and they said it was 'different stock'. She asked for a number of different phones but every single medium/high end phone was 'out of stock.'

She then said she would take the written letter so they said they would send it out and call her with confirmation within two hours... 6 hours later and no contact. So she called again and guess what - no record of such a call. The guy she spoke with this time accused her of lying about the whole thing as 'there has been use of your phone number since that date to phone numbers you commonly call'. Yes, there had been, because as she pointed out - she had got a replacement sim with her old number and contract from a local store :)

He said that didn't matter because there was no proof she had blocked anything and that the 7 minute phone call she had proof of on the phone bill 'could have just been her on hold'... Regardless, he claimed, there was no way that anyone working for vodafone would have offered her a free phone, or a written letter based on the evidence as there were no notes on the system.

So now she has a 3 page letter written up ready to send off to vodafone customer support, cc'ing in the ceo, ofcom and cisus, detailing when and where they screwed up and what they need to do to fix it.

Edited by Arival