Weird A2SD+ goings on

Guest Sanukk

Guest Sanukk

HI All

According to Titanium Backup I have 4.13 GB free on my 'SD card (A2SD)' partition, yet my phone keeps complaining there is no space and refuses to install new apps.

Anybody know what is going on? Or better still how to fix it?

~S

Guest bpivk
According to Titanium Backup I have 4.13 GB free on my 'SD card (A2SD)' partition, yet my phone keeps complaining there is no space and refuses to install new apps.

Anybody know what is going on? Or better still how to fix it?

A2SD moves /data directory which holds apps. But almost the same amount of free space is needed for app cache which resides in /data/data. This directory is not moved with A2SD and still consumes internal memory.

Guest Sanukk
A2SD moves /data directory which holds apps. But almost the same amount of free space is needed for app cache which resides in /data/data. This directory is not moved with A2SD and still consumes internal memory.

A-Ha! is there any way (preferably easy LOL) to move this over too?

Would this also explain the dropped apps?

~S

Guest bpivk
Would this also explain the dropped apps?
What does your computer do when it's out of space and you want to install something? Well it's the same here. The phone goes berserk if you try it (apps don't install, SMS can stop registering,...).

The simplest method (for me) is with data2whatever but you could also use any other script.

Sadly that will require flashing a new rom so you can't just install it now on top of your current rom.

Guest Sanukk
What does your computer do when it's out of space and you want to install something? Well it's the same here. The phone goes berserk if you try it (apps don't install, SMS can stop registering,...).
But I'm not talking about refusing to install new apps, it forgets stuff that is already installed. For example at the moment, if I go Menu -> Settings from the main screen, I'm told 'The linked program is no longer installed on your phone' however if I boot to recovery and wipe the dalvik cache it (may) come back while something else gets dropped. The are all still there it's just the phone can't see random one after each dalvik wipe.

The simplest method (for me) is with data2whatever but you could also use any other script.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Sadly that will require flashing a new rom so you can't just install it now on top of your current rom.
Not a huge problem, I was going to wait for the next version but doing it now and later isn't too much bother.

~S

Guest bpivk
But I'm not talking about refusing to install new apps, it forgets stuff that is already installed.
That could be a side effect of the lack of app cache. You're lucky at least you still get your SMSes. Some phones stop receiving them after they drop under 10mb. :)

Guest Sanukk

Hi,

Getting so pissed off with this bloody phone now!

Just tried to flash a new ROM only to be told 'No such file or directory' but when I look (via my Linux box) it's still there. I get the same results when I try from ROM Manager, and when I boot into recovery and do it from there myself.

Is this part of the same thing (even though I told ROM Manager to wipe everything), or something else?

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

~S

Guest bpivk

I usually do it from recovery. Make sure that you've copied the rom to your SD and that you've wiped the phone (wipe not clear data or whatever the second option is).

Then just select the rom from zip (not update from update.zip).

Guest Sanukk
I usually do it from recovery. Make sure that you've copied the rom to your SD and that you've wiped the phone (wipe not clear data or whatever the second option is).

Then just select the rom from zip (not update from update.zip).

That is what I normally do (unless I'm being lazy and using ROM Manager LOL), but recovery (clockwork 2.5.0.7) refuses to see the image on the SD.

I am totally at a loss on how to continue.

~S

P.S. Thanks very much for the help so far though.

Guest bpivk

Did you try formating the SD card or using a different card?

And when you go to the menu where you select the zip file do you actually see it or is it empty?

Guest Sanukk
Did you try formating the SD card or using a different card?
Yup, this is a 16GB card, I get the same results when I try with the SD that came with the phone.

And when you go to the menu where you select the zip file do you actually see it or is it empty?
I can see all the files from ROM Manager and Root Explorer, but from recovery all I can see is the clockworkmod folder, and that doesn't show any contents. I think there may be a problem with the recovery rather than memory space.

~S

Guest Sanukk
Yes it seems so. Did you try flashing a new recovery through unrevoked?
Tried and failed. It tells me it failed to get root. and asks if the firmware is too new. Any suggestions on how to continue from here?

~S

Guest Sanukk
Hmm. Maybe by running a RUU and re-rooting. I don't know because it's a first for me.
I ran the AlphRev S-Off disk and told it to push a new recovery to the phone, that appeared to work great until the SD (both FAT32 and EXT3 partitions) vanished! So not really any further forward.

~S

Guest Sanukk
I ran the AlphRev S-Off disk and told it to push a new recovery to the phone, that appeared to work great until the SD (both FAT32 and EXT3 partitions) vanished! So not really any further forward.
Partitioned and put the SD that came with the phone back in, and all seems to be running as it should again. No idea why it killed the big SD, but apart from having a tiny SD, the phone is working so at least I can get on with stuff again.

~S