Advent vega future?

Guest Adam:)

this afternoon i was wondering what future the Vega has as a device ;)

i mean, how long can we keep up with other tablets using roms?

how long until our processor gets outdated? : :)

wuld u consider buying a cheaper honeycomb tablet for say 250-300 if one came out?

wat about the andy pad B)

post ur thoughts opinions here :D

and if this has already been posted somewhere else

Then im sorry ;)

Guest iSpike

Someone likes using smileys ;p.

All electronic devices get outdated pretty quick nowadays, Although I still feel the future for the Vega is bright. It's a good tablet for the price and I'm certainly in love with it.

The new blackberry does look good, although its only 7inches and double the price! so yeah, It's still got a good few months yet imo.. Just needs to get the market and a few bug fixes so it's good to use for all the non-techie people out there.

Edited by iSpike

Someone likes using smileys ;p.

All electronic devices get outdated pretty quick nowadays, Although I still feel the future for the Vega is bright. It's a good tablet for the price and I'm certainly in love with it.

The new blackberry does look good, although its only 7inches and double the price! so yeah, It's still got a good few months yet imo.. Just needs to get the market and a few bug fixes so it's good to use for all the non-techie people out there.

I love smileys ;) they r the best :)

anyway, yeh i get ur point it is a great tablet, and a lot better then the ipad i feel.

the blackberry tablet i have tried and a bit disappointed with tbh, the app store is not great, and no bbm is a killer

yeh, hopefully if the vega gets a 2.3 update (that theyve been promising for yrs) :D

then maybe B)

Guest iSpike
I love smileys ;) they r the best :)

anyway, yeh i get ur point it is a great tablet, and a lot better then the ipad i feel.

the blackberry tablet i have tried and a bit disappointed with tbh, the app store is not great, and no bbm is a killer

yeh, hopefully if the vega gets a 2.3 update (that theyve been promising for yrs) :D

then maybe B)

No BBM?! That really is a killer, does the new blackberry have 3g support? A quick google didn't really help.

Guest Dave Marchant
No BBM?! That really is a killer, does the new blackberry have 3g support? A quick google didn't really help.

Blackberry Playbook doesn't have 3G (yet, maybe later in the year) but it has got BBM if you link it to your BB using Blackberry Bridge. I have one here on my desk next to the Vega.

To be honest, I find the Vega the best for daily use. If it had a display like the BB (or any of the other £400 tabs) it would take over. Blackberry Playbook still needs some more updates to give it some more standalone apps (coming in the Summer?) and the Android VM that has been promised. The one I have here is an eval for work and I can't recommend it yet, but the Blackberry Bridge is a clever idea.

Blackberry Playbook doesn't have 3G (yet, maybe later in the year) but it has got BBM if you link it to your BB using Blackberry Bridge. I have one here on my desk next to the Vega.

To be honest, I find the Vega the best for daily use. If it had a display like the BB (or any of the other £400 tabs) it would take over. Blackberry Playbook still needs some more updates to give it some more standalone apps (coming in the Summer?) and the Android VM that has been promised. The one I have here is an eval for work and I can't recommend it yet, but the Blackberry Bridge is a clever idea.

Oops sorry thats my mistake then :L is the app store any gd, cos from wat ive heard its not great :)

Guest PeteBest

It'll need a price decrease to stay competitive once the andypad is released IMO. It looks like the tablet market is all going to hot up awfully soon

Guest newbe5

Im just uploading my first look and opinions of the BB Playbook. Hopefully soon I will do some comparisons between it and the Asus Transformer (which is a comparitively priced Android competitor to the PlayBook) as well as comparisons with the Vega (although which Vega ROM I will use for the comparisons I am unsure yet as VegaComb is still heavily Beta).

Video should appear on Youtube tonight, so if you want to see a Vega owners first impressions of the Playbook, check it out :)

newbe5

Guest simonta

Ah, the impetuousness of youth all mixed up with Moore's Law!

Sadly, I am way beyond the age required to attest that since the early 1990s, every digital doodah has been eclipsed within 18 months or less. Take away the iPhads and that drops to about 6 months.

I've learned to live with it.

Guest phil8715
Ah, the impetuousness of youth all mixed up with Moore's Law!

Sadly, I am way beyond the age required to attest that since the early 1990s, every digital doodah has been eclipsed within 18 months or less. Take away the iPhads and that drops to about 6 months.

I've learned to live with it.

My brother bought an iPad2 on a 24 month and £200 upfront. I paid the same £200 for the Advent Vega and mine is paid for with no contract. I heard the iPad 3 will be released later in the year. Do Apple think that people have money to burn? Some people have only just bought the orginal iPad and it's obsolete already. I am tempted to buy an iPad when iPad 3 is released as the original iPad could probably be bought for around £200 or less. By the time my brother has finished paying for the contract it will probably be worth pennies and Apple will have released iPad 5-6 if they release one every 6 months.

The Blackberry Playbook has been a flop, no 3g or BBM and don't you have to have a Blackberry to tether from? To make the most out of it?

I think the Vega has got a future, it would have even more of a future if an official version of Honeycomb was to be released I know this probably won't happen, not that VegaComb is bad in fact from nothing 2 months ago to an almost full functioning rom, it's to be applaused the work that has gone into producing it is amazing. I hope that the Vega either this one via an update or a future Vega it will have proper USB drivers where you just connect it and the pc recognises the device without messing about trying to find drivers.

Guest derffie

Oh the vega! Why oh why could we not just have a 1gb of ram and 8gb of storage, the rest is beautiful. A,nyway, just think, come the end the year, android is a fresh new ice cream flavoured beast. So shazam! New tablet!

Also any thoughts on ios5? Seems to have some androidy features, and it will install on ipad and ipad2, phone and pod gen3 and up, seems a stupid thing to do when you are killing the market with fruity hardware? Well mr Jobs anything to say? Looks to me, this isn't a hardware war this winter, its software/os based.

Guest iSpike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZfzVinc8EI wouldn't want to be holding shares in RIM right now :/

newbe5

Thanks for the video, was actually debating getting one after seeing the advert last night. After a little research its seems like its a pretty pathetic tablet.

Looks like I'll be sticking to vega.. Hasn't let me down yet and is great for app development.

Guest warriorscot

Honestly there still isn't a tablet that would convince me to move from the vega. I don't like to spend too much on any portable device just because you have much more wear and tear and its lucky if it will last more than a year.

And for an extra half gig of ram I don't see much point honestly. The situation might change once the next version of the Tegra CPU comes out not just higher clocked versions of what we have now. But till then the vega is still a good choice as it very nicely rides the price point between the cheap rubbish tablets and the expensive good ones.

Guest flip.c

It'd be great if the pin-outs of the expansion (dock) connector was figured out, especially for adding more usb sockets & a/v facilities. Sort of a portable dock.

Also, finding out what is causijg the fault with the touch screen being so 'touchy' whilst plugged in to it's PSU. Possibly dodgy shielding?

That might help with extending the vega's longevity.

Guest clonmult

The Android VM is clever, but thats the point at which you may as well ask "why bother having a playbook if its only going to be running Android apps?".

I played with one in CPW, and it did look nice, it was smooth, but it seemed pretty pointless.

Guest Mahoog
My brother bought an iPad2 on a 24 month and £200 upfront. I paid the same £200 for the Advent Vega and mine is paid for with no contract. I heard the iPad 3 will be released later in the year. Do Apple think that people have money to burn? Some people have only just bought the orginal iPad and it's obsolete already.

I've got an original iPad (and a Vega) and it sure doesn't feel obsolete to me. It's a good tablet all things considered. On the Android side of things I've seen nothing that makes me feel like I have to upgrade from the Vega. It shouldn't be the hardware, per se, driving you to upgrade, it should be applications.

Guest phil8715
I've got an original iPad (and a Vega) and it sure doesn't feel obsolete to me. It's a good tablet all things considered. On the Android side of things I've seen nothing that makes me feel like I have to upgrade from the Vega. It shouldn't be the hardware, per se, driving you to upgrade, it should be applications.

What I meant by obsolete is Apple have a nasty habit of dropping support. For example my partner has an iPhone 3GS, when the iPhone 5 is released they will drop support for the iPhone 3GS, like they did when iPhone 4 came out Apple dropped support for the iPhone 3g.

When the 4.3 update was released, certain elements of the update were not supported on the 3GS, examples of this include Facetime and WIFI Tethering, all these were available on the iPhone 4.

Edited by phil8715

Guest oldhippy

I can only imagine that the replacement for the Vega will be one of the first quad core devices like the Vega was with dual core. Lets hope so and that the case for it is real leather with tablet loading from the top too.. I thinks sales of the Vega show DSG they are onto a winner with the device...

Guest newbe5
I can only imagine that the replacement for the Vega will be one of the first quad core devices like the Vega was with dual core. Lets hope so and that the case for it is real leather with tablet loading from the top too.. I thinks sales of the Vega show DSG they are onto a winner with the device...

Do you have figures for sales of the Vega?

Guest oldhippy
Do you have figures for sales of the Vega?

No hard figures, just by the fact it kept going out of stock and from what I have read via this and other sites about it.. Is it less than I think? Certainly an early-ish arrival compared to many and one of the better cheap tablets. I think it hit the market at the right time too.

im glad wit how much positive stuff weve got for the vega :)

but do u think we culd develop a rom for ice cream sandwich?

wats so special about it ?

Guest premieral
im glad wit how much positive stuff weve got for the vega B)

but do u think we culd develop a rom for ice cream sandwich?

wats so special about it ?

ice cream sandwich is the next android op sys that will be universal i.e. same software optimised for both tablet and phone.

it will be open source so yes the devs can mod it for vega.

all the talk is about last quarter 2011 so we should have it for xmas.

but personally the thing i like most abut the vega is the ability to change it daily if i want from one rom to another and tweak away to my hearts content without bricking it!

i have also jailbroken my apple devices but they have never been as stable or so easy to restore as this, it is as future proof as any other piece of computer technology but at a very low price and i bought mine at 250 :) so i dont think you need to worry about whether it has a future so much as enjoy it in the present :D

Guest phil8715
ice cream sandwich is the next android op sys that will be universal i.e. same software optimised for both tablet and phone.

it will be open source so yes the devs can mod it for vega.

all the talk is about last quarter 2011 so we should have it for xmas.

but personally the thing i like most abut the vega is the ability to change it daily if i want from one rom to another and tweak away to my hearts content without bricking it!

i have also jailbroken my apple devices but they have never been as stable or so easy to restore as this, it is as future proof as any other piece of computer technology but at a very low price and i bought mine at 250 :) so i dont think you need to worry about whether it has a future so much as enjoy it in the present B)

With ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) on the way what's the point of developing VegaComb? Because by the time it's ready so will ICS.

The iPad is a nice piece of kit and admittedly if it had been the same price as the Vega I would have gone for the iPad. Some apps on the iPad are just not available on Android. And I am no Apple fanboi either.

i used to love apple and ipads and all that crap :L

and yeh they r gd pieces of kit, but android and the vega just lets u do so much more! :)