1 August B137 r7: FLB Custom ROM for the Huawei U8800 with Online Kitchen

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

About this rom

Presenting my first custom rom for the Huawei U8800. Built upon B137 it has been modified to improve performance where possible.

post-697226-1308776918_thumb.jpg post-697226-1308776928_thumb.jpg

ROM features

• Built upon Android 2.2.2
  • Fully rebuilt, zip-aligned and optimised using skillz
  • Custom FLB kernel with EXT4, BFQ, Smartass, CIFS, TUN, SWAP and overclocking for those that like to live dangerously
  • All pre-installed applications updated where possible
  • The stock Android experience. No silly themes here
  • Swype and Huawei keyboards as optional extras
  • Adobe Flash updated to 10.3 and fully working
  • Full stagefright enabled for awesome media playback
  • Pre-rooted for convenience
  • Includes Superuser by ChainsDD
  • For overclocking you'll need an app like SetCPU

Changelog

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:

You will need to install recovery version 4.0.0.5 or higher to your device. Follow the Ultimate Guide for details on how to do this

Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card

Restart your device in recovery mode holding the volume up and power buttons

PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU

Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Downloads

This ROM is now available in the online kitchen - see the post below for details! In addition to the kitchen, a prebaked download is available.

r7 (default kitchen options) - DOWNLOAD (Multiupload) - MD5: 10AA84D73C8114D7770A402BADAFE116

r6 (default kitchen options) - DOWNLOAD (Multiupload) - MD5: 92BE53FBCABD21EF664ABC9139AE6F6F

r5 (default kitchen options) - DOWNLOAD (Multiupload) - MD5: 6979A2EFDFB5B2F59F49C142DC043648

Known issues

There is a bug affecting headphone detection. Ringtones and notifications are played through the phone speaker and audio routing seems broken. I will try and find a fix but this could take some time.

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect. And huge thanks to Paul for providing kitchen access.

Guest Simon O

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest Simon O

Changelog

r7

• ROM now uses ext3 for /system partition, ext4 for /data. All U8800/H owners should now be able to boot the ROM (some devices cannot boot ext4 system). No loss of performance!

r6
    • Android Market updated to 3.0.27
    • Facebook updated to 1.6.2
    • Google Mail updated to 2.3.5
    • Google Maps updated to 5.8.0
    • build.prop change to default network. Should fix "Emergency Calls Only" showing.

r5
      • Kernel moved to correct location.

r4
        • Updated kernel with fixes for overclocking and speed tweaks.
        • Battery drain when overclocked should be reduced significantly.
        • libsqlite.so optimised for better performance.

r3

[*]Camera libs replaced with B160 versions to ensure compatibility with all U8800 devices.

r2

[*]Fixed installation script to format system as ext4

[*]Disabled volume key wake in build.prop

r1

[*]first release

Guest Cirno

Couldn't save my edit on the first reply I made so double post sorry.

Well one question is it stock launcher or anything else?

Also have you included USB tethering and does the headset icon appear when a headset is used?

Have you included the community improvement from XDA with in call quality and out call quality?

Also as last question; how much better is is compared to B160 with battery life?

Guest Cirno
Does this include Greek (ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ or Ελληνικα) in the language selection, can anyone confirm?

Not tried out so can't answer it. Also waiting my questions to be answered :)

Guest Simon O
Couldn't save my edit on the first reply I made so double post sorry.

Well one question is it stock launcher or anything else?

Also have you included USB tethering and does the headset icon appear when a headset is used?

Have you included the community improvement from XDA with in call quality and out call quality?

Also as last question; how much better is is compared to B160 with battery life?

Stock launcher, USB and wifi tethering in the rom. I've added the fix for call quality. Battery life is good. I don't have anything to compare it with but it certainly is better than I've had on the ZTE Blade. My phone is currently at 40% battery with 8 hours runtime, wifi always on with facebook chat, plume, gtalk logged in and active. Also I've been playing games earlier so that will affect battery a bit.

If wifi was set to turn off whilst sleeping then the battery life would be even better.

Also even though the kernel supports overclocking up to 1.5Ghz, by default it'll run at 800MHz stock speed. So it won't affect battery life :)

Does this include Greek (ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ or Ελληνικα) in the language selection, can anyone confirm?

Yes, rom supports Greek. Some applications may not be translated but the main apps and system settings are translated.

For anybody else asking, the rom supports all languages that Android supports. So your chosen language should be supported.

Guest Simon O

Also should point out that this does not wipe the /cust folder so if you have a device that relies on this for operator settings, you will be fine.

ALSO. I haven't replaced any camera libs. The camera works OK on the U8800 I have here, but it could be an issue for others. If anybody has camera problems then please let me know right away and I'll look into it. Ideally I'd like a solution that works for everyone.

Guest Simon O

Quick FAQ

Will you be adding the option for other launchers?

No. The whole point of the ROM is to keep it as close to stock Android as possible, whilst providing some performance boosts. As the ROM contains Android Market it's easy for you to install another Launcher yourself. Chinese users can also use GOAPK Market (not provided).

Will you be providing any themes?

In time yes I intend to do this.

Will you be able to include this application?

If it's available in the market then sadly no. As I say, the rom is meant to be a stock experience with the facility for users to install extra apps easily.

Guest Cirno

Hmm, one question still feels unanswered !

When plugging in headphones or a headset, will there be a headset icon active?

**EDIT**

Does it wake up when volume buttons pressed?

If it does, @xda they have solved it with. Changing a line @ /system/build/prop

ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=1 to ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=0

More information.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1048813

And directly to the post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=39

Edited by Cirno

Guest papatsonis

I just flashed to this ROM, flash went ok, but i still got no ext3 to ext4 convertion (i checked via linux machine and all report as ext3), also the quadrant standart score with stock settings is about 1400(1595 3rd run) and that with fps limit off as i see, nowhere near your 1786 you had posted in other thread (which i think was partially due to ext4 filesystem), what do i miss?

edit2 : with nenamark at stock, i get ~32-33 fps, with B136 -> 43.5-44 (both conditions stock), is there any change in gpu driver?

Edited by papatsonis

Guest Cirno
I just flashed to this ROM, flash went ok, but i still got no ext3 to ext4 convertion (i checked via linux machine and all report as ext3), also the quadrant standart score with stock settings is about 1400(1595 3rd run) and that with fps limit off as i see, nowhere near your 1786 you had posted in other thread (which i think was partially due to ext4 filesystem), what do i miss?

edit2 : with nenamark at stock, i get ~32-33 fps, with B136 -> 43.5-44 (both conditions stock), is there any change in gpu driver?

It doesn't change anything?

Guest Simon O
Hmm, one question still feels unanswered !

When plugging in headphones or a headset, will there be a headset icon active?

**EDIT**

Does it wake up when volume buttons pressed?

If it does, @xda they have solved it with. Changing a line @ /system/build/prop

ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=1 to ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=0

More information.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1048813

And directly to the post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=39

No headset icon. I've seen the 'fix' for this on XDA but I'm not happy with it as it potentially breaks other things. Phone does wake with volume buttons.

Guest Cirno
No headset icon. I've seen the 'fix' for this on XDA but I'm not happy with it as it potentially breaks other things. Phone does wake with volume buttons.

Tell me what other things might end up broken?

Also still wondering if can I flash the rom without problem? Even if I have the custom partition thing?

Guest Simon O
Tell me what other things might end up broken?

Also still wondering if can I flash the rom without problem? Even if I have the custom partition thing?

This is the fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=14

The biggest problem for me is "Obviously with this modified kernel you can't use a headset's mic if you want to." which is a kind of big issue for a lot of people.

You can flash the rom on custom partitions, no problem. The installer doesn't care about the sizes :)

Guest Cirno
This is the fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=14

The biggest problem for me is "Obviously with this modified kernel you can't use a headset's mic if you want to." which is a kind of big issue for a lot of people.

You can flash the rom on custom partitions, no problem. The installer doesn't care about the sizes :)

I see then with this solution wouldn't it be easy to make a workaround, or is that something impossible?

Guest Simon O
I see then with this solution wouldn't it be easy to make a workaround, or is that something impossible?

I'll look at the code and ask HCDRJacob to assist me too. We may be able to fix it properly.

Guest Simon O

Uploading a new build to the kitchen and I'll upload a prebake shortly after. This will fix the setup script to format the system as ext4 and disable the volume key wake.

Guest That-Guy
Stock launcher, USB and wifi tethering in the rom. I've added the fix for call quality. Battery life is good. I don't have anything to compare it with but it certainly is better than I've had on the ZTE Blade. My phone is currently at 40% battery with 8 hours runtime, wifi always on with facebook chat, plume, gtalk logged in and active. Also I've been playing games earlier so that will affect battery a bit.

With regards to call quality, is it louder? When I am walking down a road that is quite busy I really can't hear the caller :)

Guest Simon O
With regards to call quality, is it louder? When I am walking down a road that is quite busy I really can't hear the caller :)

I'll test it now B)

edit: seems loud enough