Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest WWEpsp
It surely HAS to be honeycomb for the Vega, why else would newbe call it "exciting"? New hardware isn't exactly exciting, and if it was a completely new tablet, why would they be talking to newbe?

Correct, they dont need newbie5 for a new Vega and actually a new Vega might get people to take a look for the Asus or Acer tabs or even look for other new HC tablets...

By the way Hauwei announced the first 7" inch tablet with HC (3.2), no price said but Hauwei isnt going to push the price too far

Guest HypoTurtle
Correct, they dont need newbie5 for a new Vega and actually a new Vega might get people to take a look for the Asus or Acer tabs or even look for other new HC tablets...

By the way Hauwei announced the first 7" inch tablet with HC (3.2), no price said but Hauwei isnt going to push the price too far

I'd say they do need Newbe5. I'd describe him as a self taught android dev focused on advent vega, with contacts to some impressive people (corvus, homerS, and some contact with the forward looking ejtagle). With the guidance and instruction of Paul and newbe5 they can best instruct Advent in what they would want integrated with a new tab in terms of hardware that would be useful to developers and on the tegra drivers that need to be obtained so that they chase up Nvidia for example to ensure that future firmware driver updates will be provided.

Alternatively Advent may be setting up a 'small' software support network or development team. I'm sure with corporate funding and a support structure ROM development will benefit.

A device backed and inspired by these pair wouldn't be such a bad idea, but still I'd like to see HC from them, maybe this 3.2 version that i've heard once or twice will be released to more OEMs

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest WWEpsp
I'd say they do need Newbe5. I'd describe his as a self taught android dev focused on advent vega, with contacts to some impressive people (corvus, homerS, and some contact with the forward looking eaglet). With the guidance and instruction of Paul and newbe5 they can best instruct Advent in what they would want integrated with a new tab in terms of hardware that would be useful to developers and on the tegra drivers that need to be obtained so that they chase up Nvidia for example to ensure that future firmware driver updates will be provided.

Alternatively Advent may be setting up a 'small' software support network or development team. I'm sure with corporate funding and a support structure ROM development will benefit.

A device backed and inspired by these pair wouldn't be such a bad idea, but still I'd like to see HC from them, maybe this 3.2 version that i've heard once or twice will be released to more OEMs

Oh, i didnt think about it on that way :S

I read 3.2 its just 3.1 but adjusted for 7 inch screens...

Guest HunteronX

I think that the surprise is a Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich release from Advent.

I think that they want Paul or Richard (newbe5) to get involved. :)

(Damn suspense...)

Guest Minimonkey
Wow! just seen @Zebwen tweet (newbie5)

Just had dinner with two very nice fellas from the @AdventVega team... Can't say much, but some EXCITING stuff in the works, buzzing now!

Maybe this is a hint! "Buzzing Now" as in Buzzing like a bee as in bees and honey as in HONEYCOMB!..... :)

Guest clonmult

I'd reckon its more like to be an official HC release, or something along those lines - remember that Advent aren't actually a manufacturer as such, they just rebrand/mildly mod other peoples hardware (be it laptops, desktops or tablets).

Hope its an official release, although as it stands with the Corvus5 roms, the Vega is a cracking little bit of kit.

Guest gazmon2424
I'd reckon its more like to be an official HC release, or something along those lines - remember that Advent aren't actually a manufacturer as such, they just rebrand/mildly mod other peoples hardware (be it laptops, desktops or tablets).

Hope its an official release, although as it stands with the Corvus5 roms, the Vega is a cracking little bit of kit.

all vega developement is being stopped..........a new tablet will be released at the end of the summer...................thanks advent!!

Guest everett_psycho
Oh, i didnt think about it on that way :S

I read 3.2 its just 3.1 but adjusted for 7 inch screens...

that's exactly what it's meant to be, i though ICS was meant to end fragmentation of the system once and for all but now they are fragmenting by screen size just before it's release :)

I get the impression advent doesn't have the knowledge or team to build and support some of it's products because it really is just rebadging someone elses product and then tweaking any updates that manufacturer makes, so hopefully if theyve got newbe on board with them that might change for us.

Guest clonmult
all vega developement is being stopped..........a new tablet will be released at the end of the summer...................thanks advent!!

Hey, you never know ...

Advent themselves don't appear to have done much in the way of development, but as it stands everyone could stop releasing roms and it wouldn't matter that much - sure, it owuld be nice to always have the latest releases, but the Vega is already good enough for most uses - its not lacking anything obvious in the hardware stakes.

Maybe a 1280x800 screen (with gorilla glass?), thinner, more ram, HC, GPS ..... and keep the price the same. Hehe, gotta dream.

Guest le_lutin

Where did you get this information?

Guest phil8715
Where did you get this information?

I think it will likely be an official HC update. I don't care if Advent release a new tablet, because there will still be support for our Vega's. The beauty of Android is there are dedicated people like Newbie5 and others committed to producing these roms for nothing in their spare time where they have a family life newborns and the like.

I am sure all will be revealed very soon :)

Guest WWEpsp

Im really shure its HC for Vega.

Remember those chinese clones with newbe5's VegaComb Beta?, maybe Advent want him to officialize his Rom, and make it only for Advent so in case of any copy they can legally stop those clones.

Guest MaxiP

I'd love to think / hope that this will be an 'official' HC release from Advent but unless they (or OEM) have been able to partner with Google and get source code, then there will still be limits on what any developer can achieve. AFAIK, developers need access to the kernel code to tweak for particular platforms (in particular NVidia Harmony / Ventana) and unless Google have had a moment of weakness and released code under AOSP, then I don't think we'll see full blown HC.

That aside, what Newbe / Corvus & other devs have been able to do is simply staggering so perhaps with some assistance from Advent, they can enhance Vegacomb to be as if it was a 'proper' release.

Guest Minimonkey
Im really shure its HC for Vega.

Remember those chinese clones with newbe5's VegaComb Beta?, maybe Advent want him to officialize his Rom, and make it only for Advent so in case of any copy they can legally stop those clones.

Sounds like your on the money! Or in Advent an newbe's case money for them.... :)

Guest wi-fli

Here's a thought:

maybe Advent have stopped official development of the vega, and are about to launch new hardware with hc, BUT met with Paul because unofficially they might be able to help back port the rom from the new hardware to the 'old' vega?

Just a suggestion.

Personally I think it's far more likely this all has something to do with new hardware than not.

Guest stevesilk51

If it is Vegacomb beta made "official" I can't see what the fuss is all about. i.e. why say - quote: "but some EXCITING stuff in the works, buzzing now!"

BTW I've tried the HC16 for the Adam on my Adam and compared to Vegacomb it is slooowwww. Vegacomb on the Vega superior, so mucho kudos to newbe5 et all.

Edited by stevesilk51

Guest simonta
Anyway people "in the works" could mean 6 months away!! :)

Just one point to keep in mind with all this talk of back porting and so on. DSG did not choose to leave the Google Apps of the Vega. Google never licensed them for the Vega so there is no way that they can do something like that unless they've reached a licensing agreement which, given the reasons Google did not put HC into AOSP and withheld the GAPPS from the likes of the Vega, I doubt.

+1 for the rumour forum. Ultimately useless but fun, in a geeky sort of way B)

Guest Drat2
I'd love to think / hope that this will be an 'official' HC release from Advent but unless they (or OEM) have been able to partner with Google and get source code, then there will still be limits on what any developer can achieve. AFAIK, developers need access to the kernel code to tweak for particular platforms (in particular NVidia Harmony / Ventana) and unless Google have had a moment of weakness and released code under AOSP, then I don't think we'll see full blown HC.

That aside, what Newbe / Corvus & other devs have been able to do is simply staggering so perhaps with some assistance from Advent, they can enhance Vegacomb to be as if it was a 'proper' release.

Well, google may be worried about damage to the "Honeycomb" brand from vega clones pre-installed with Newbie5 vegacomb. To them it might be better to suport an offical honeycomb release for the vega in all its forms. AFAIK not making it open source was to stop honeycomb appearing on mobile phones, not vega type tablets.

Guest moghm

There is no money for advent in releasing honeycomb for the existing vega, unless they start charging for the release ??

If they do announce a new tablet, then this is not exciting news, call me a miser, but not to keen on having spent £200 (£250) for some users, to see this tablet overtaken so soon. Thats technology I guess.

If they do release honeycomb for the existing vega, I will be very impressed indeed. How about existing users of this (and other forums) get rewarded for all the research, development and feedback that they have given to make this product a success. (quid pro quo). The reward would be an official release of honeycomb for existing vega users. Come on DSG I know you are listening.

The devs have been amazing, but so have been the users such as me and you for all the testing, feedback and time spent on installing these roms.

Guest The Soup Thief

Personally I'd love to see a Vega II released, with that lovely big screen and just a few of the original's quirks sanded away - plus a slightly lower price tag

I missed the boat with Vega I and am reluctant to buy a tablet that's now more than 6 mo old, even though I suspect it does everything I want

Bit selfish - sorry

Guest SWOriginal
There is no money for advent in releasing honeycomb for the existing vega, unless they start charging for the release ??.

I'm not so sure about that, if advent reveal there is in upcoming honeycomb release for the Vega I'm sure there will be major sellouts of there £200 10inch tablet! , it will be pretty difficult for another manufacturer to sell a honeycomb tablet for that price.

The only reason I purchased the Vega 2 weeks ago was because of vegacomb, so a 10" tegra2 honeycomb tablet will make them allot of money.