Galaxy S2 on ThreeUK

Guest JayGB1982

Guest JayGB1982

Apparently ThreeUK with there wonderful theming of the phone, Has borked the update, I know that KE7 is the latest iteration of the phone's software but due cannot download it.

Does anyone know a way of updating the phone or unbranding it? Is CM7 available yet?

Really dissapoinnted that ThreeUK will not let me update this phone :)

Guest CoolCheese
Apparently ThreeUK with there wonderful theming of the phone, Has borked the update, I know that KE7 is the latest iteration of the phone's software but due cannot download it.

Does anyone know a way of updating the phone or unbranding it? Is CM7 available yet?

I'm in the same boat, though I don't think it's to do with three alone as I have an O2 handset running with a three sim.

Follow atinm on Twitter, he's a Cyanogenmod developer who has recently been given an SGS2 by Samsung. It'll take some time, especially as the US haven't got their hands on the phone yet but I'm sure it will happen, this phone is going to be everywhere and it's not locked down. The only issue I can foresee is if the US variant has a Tegra 2 processor, which has been rumoured :-(

Also recommend signing up to the Cyanogenmod site to keep up to date.

Eventually Paul will come good with an MCR, which will provide the latest and greatest.

Guest Epic-Emodude

You can download ODIN and then use this to flash new firmware. It will let you flash any firmware you want so you can put KE7 on it, or KF2 (which is the latest one and supposedly fixes battery drain problems) Most of the firmwares are unbranded (I flashed KF2 yesterday and I can't see any branding) If you flash an official update then KIES will still recognise it for updating it later, but I understand that ODIN is more popular as you can flash any firmware (including custom kernels), and KIES sometimes fails.

ODIN is probably best documented over at XDA (They have a much bigger GSII community than here)

You can download new firmware from samfirmware.com, which will also tell you how to use ODIN.

CM7 is being worked on but is not available yet.

Aaron

Guest David Aitken
You can download ODIN and then use this to flash new firmware. It will let you flash any firmware you want so you can put KE7 on it, or KF2 (which is the latest one and supposedly fixes battery drain problems) Most of the firmwares are unbranded (I flashed KF2 yesterday and I can't see any branding) If you flash an official update then KIES will still recognise it for updating it later, but I understand that ODIN is more popular as you can flash any firmware (including custom kernels), and KIES sometimes fails.

ODIN is probably best documented over at XDA (They have a much bigger GSII community than here)

You can download new firmware from samfirmware.com, which will also tell you how to use ODIN.

CM7 is being worked on but is not available yet.

Aaron

Correct!

It will be nice to see a MoDaCo rom for this phone, but there are plenty of unbranded ROMs currently on XDA running the latest KF2 update, the reason 3 or O2 don't have any updates is because there isn't currently a KF2 update for our region from Samsung. This will change and there will also be a whole flurry of new ROMs and modifications once CM release CM7 for the GS2

Guest JayGB1982

Which is the latest firmware to install?

Over on xda they have KF3? Would this work on a UK based galaxy s 2? Just looking to de-brand and root and have the latest fixes / firmware.

I presume so?

I have odin version 1.83 is this the latest?

Thanks

Guest Epic-Emodude
Which is the latest firmware to install?

Over on xda they have KF3? Would this work on a UK based galaxy s 2? Just looking to de-brand and root and have the latest fixes / firmware.

I presume so?

I have odin version 1.83 is this the latest?

Thanks

I'm not sure if Samsung were high when they numbered the firmwares, but niether KF3 of KF4 are the latest, KF2 is.

There is roumor of 2.3.4 being KF7, which will mean it had to come by thursday, and that will be the latest (don't know what happened to KF5/6...)