ZTE Skate is here! Orange Monte Carlo.

Guest LCFA

Guest slitz

I thought there already was a Orange Monte Carlo?! I guess not then, those high resolution photos of it look pretty nice though. The ear speaker looks a bit like the HTC ones.

Edited by slitz

Guest appolus
To be really useful it would need at least a 1GHz processor (San Francisco only 600MHz) and the ability to run Adobe Flash

i agree, its not much like an upgrade except the camera and led flash..and the size. its enormous, 4" is perfect

Edited by appolus

Guest grudas
i agree, its not much like an upgrade except the camera and led flash..and the size. its enormous, 4" is perfect

exactly.. 4.3" display will be to big to hold.. i bet it will drop from peoples PALMS LIKE s*** FROM A COWS ASS>.. ?!

and 800cpu will probably be overclockable to 900-1000mhz if you're lucky.. i guess the price will be around £150.. not much interest from me because of the size.. if they refreshed the blade with 1ghz cpu and 3.8" display that would rock my boat..

Guest Jekle
It looks like a HTC Sensation and a Grey ZTE Blade had babies.

I think it'll cost £160

£150 I Think, giving it around a bout figure. It will have all the bloatware present as usual, Nothing a de-branded ROM wouldn't sort out :)

Guest k0zmic
It will have all the bloatware present as usual, Nothing a de-branded ROM wouldn't sort out :)

The bloatware probably helps subsidize the cost of the handset, although that's not a problem as you said.

Guest Jekle
The bloatware probably helps subsidize the cost of the handset, although that's not a problem as you said.

On the SF I didn't think the Bloatware much of a problem, so it annoyed that I couldn't get rid of it, but I wasn't that pissed with it. But then I discovered Custom ROM's well lets just say that I was never going back!

Guest domenico lamberti
ZTE did say the Skate was delayed because of a CPU change, I am thinking they changed it a ARMv7

i hope they did change it for a ARMv7 processor, would be better than then ARMv6 ni our blades

Guest k0zmic
i hope they did change it for a ARMv7 processor, would be better than then ARMv6 ni our blades

It's capable of Flash but whether it's ARM v7 is unknown.

EDIT: I think it's ARM v6

Press Release regarding the processor: http://gadgets.tmcnet.com/topics/gadgets/a...-processors.htm

Specs

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=a7...ualcomm_msm7627

Edited by k0zmic

Guest cmberry20

Orange will have to be VERY careful with its pricing. If its £180 to £200 then they will be pricing the phone out of the market cos a Desire can be purchased for around £200 & its beats the Skate on every level apart from screen size.

They MUST price it £150 or less for it to sell as well as the Blade has.

You guys have almost put me off the Monte Carlo already. I want a cheap unlockable smartphone for internet surfing, checking email and using Skype instant messaging, so am all in favour of the big screen. Given my eyesight isn't what is used to be either. I've seen the Skate demos from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and it doesn't look too big to handle either. The guy in the video had small stubby hands and seemed to cope well enough!

I want to be able perform internet surfing, checking email and using Skype instant messaging wirelessly from my broadband connection at home and from Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about, so have been considering the San Francisco for some time but waiting to see how the rebranded Skate pans out.

Can anyone comment on operation of the above functions with relation to OSF screen size, wireless funtionality etc..? For what I want to do, is a bigger screen, a faster (or higher clocked) processor and Android 2.3 going to make much of a difference?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
You guys have almost put me off the Monte Carlo already. I want a cheap unlockable smartphone for internet surfing, checking email and using Skype instant messaging, so am all in favour of the big screen. Given my eyesight isn't what is used to be either. I've seen the Skate demos from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and it doesn't look too big to handle either. The guy in the video had small stubby hands and seemed to cope well enough!

I want to be able perform internet surfing, checking email and using Skype instant messaging wirelessly from my broadband connection at home and from Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about, so have been considering the San Francisco for some time but waiting to see how the rebranded Skate pans out.

Can anyone comment on operation of the above functions with relation to OSF screen size, wireless funtionality etc..? For what I want to do, is a bigger screen, a faster (or higher clocked) processor and Android 2.3 going to make much of a difference?

none of your requirements warrant anything better than the blade. A faster processor, bigger screen, and newer software will obviously provide a slightly better user experience though.

thanks daniel. if the difference is £50 between the MC and SF then i'll seriously be considering the new one. i need to be able to unlock it though (for use overseas) and the fact that it has newer software might be less stressful than using a custom ROM for a novice like me. although i'm sure i'd love to be rid of the Orange bloatware, the thought of ending up with a "brick", as many on this forum seem to do, is a bit off-putting.

Guest finbaar

I must say that this phone interests me. The screen on the Blade is to small and I want one that is 4"+ so 4.3" sounds good. I will wait and see as my next phone MUST be flash capable. By the way how do Orange think that this is a list of phone specs?

5-megapixel camera

HD Voice

Signal Boost (UMA)

Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread

4.3-inch capacitive touch screen

WiFi

micro USB v2.0

FM radio and MP3 player

video messaging

video recorder

video playback

email

pop3/imap4 email

Orange Wednesday apps

Orange App Store

HSDPA

3G+

music player

3G

camera

touch screen

photo messaging

Its a list of features which is padded out by mentioning things twice! Wow look 'Orange App Store' - let me at it. Still all credit to Orange if they can knock them out for £150 (if mind you). Would be nice if another carrier or sim free was avialable. I am sure the devs will love it.

Guest super san francisco

for 150 i'm gonna buy it, no other way! especially using a phone with a big screen is a nice thing, recently tried a galaxy s2 and was amazed by it's screen size. seems much more comfortable to use than my beloved blade. if there will be a community, which i hope and believe, will be,

then CM is just one step away i guess and if one can overclock some way to, say, 1.1 Ghz it would be nice.

i'd be glad. was looking at the ideos x5 for some time, thought of giving that one a try, seems a little on the better side hardware- and stylewise. i'm very happy with zte so far, so maybe they will have a little bonus in my opinion.

Guest Chris Banks

Looks like it will not be supporting Flash...

Hi all

We had a query regarding whether the Skate would be able to play Flash. This isn't really one for a Blade forum... I'm sure there'll be a more suitable home for this one soon. But until that time, here's the ZTE view regarding Flash on Skate.

"There seems to be some confusion as people are under the impression that the Skate is an ARMv7 device so will naturally support Adobe’s Flash 10.3. This appears to be a misunderstanding. The Skate is not ARMv7, but rather high performance ARMv6. That said, while this can technically support Flash – commercial agreements need to be put in place between ZTE, the operators carrying the Skate and Adobe, which mean the Skate will not support Flash."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. :)

from: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...flash-on-skate/

Guest ThrashMan
Looks like it will not be supporting Flash...

from: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...flash-on-skate/

Oh dear, how sad, never mind!

I fail to see what all the fuss is about mobile phones supporting flash player :-/

Flash is damn awful and flash content is generally very badly written. Watch the CPU on your PC when you access flash content!

Guest hecatae
Oh dear, how sad, never mind!

I fail to see what all the fuss is about mobile phones supporting flash player :-/

Flash is damn awful and flash content is generally very badly written. Watch the CPU on your PC when you access flash content!

flash support would just waste cpu cycles anyway