Which Tablet?

Guest timeslip1974

Guest timeslip1974

been eyeing a Vega for sometime, just about to buy one when i see the annoucment for the archos gen9 with more impressive specs and old £50 more, so which do you guys think i should buy and why?1

Guest le_lutin
been eyeing a Vega for sometime, just about to buy one when i see the annoucment for the archos gen9 with more impressive specs and old £50 more, so which do you guys think i should buy and why?1

Well, the archos does have a smaller screen (the £250 one - 8" vs 10" on the vega) but the screen quality will be infinitely better. I'd say the build quality will be very good too. It will also have official honeycomb on it.

If you can hold out, go for the archos.

Guest timeslip1974
Well, the archos does have a smaller screen (the £250 one - 8" vs 10" on the vega) but the screen quality will be infinitely better. I'd say the build quality will be very good too. It will also have official honeycomb on it.

If you can hold out, go for the archos.

actually its advertised as £200 for the 8inch and £250 for the 10 (though i could be wrong) - Offical honeycomb is the main tempt for me (tho the 250gb hdd is pretty appealing as well) - not sure what that`ll do to battery life tho.

and plus it comes out end of sept which is a looooooooong wait for someone as impatient as myself lol

edit - http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/v3-co-uk-labs-bl...d-tablets-hands - yup £250 ish for the 10incher

Edited by timeslip1974

Guest xathras

I've got an Archos70IT (250GB HD) as well as a Vega and I love them both. The Vega I bought as a bedside machine for music, movies, books, browsing, email and TV (via TVCatchup), as well as learning about Andoid and playing about with ROMs. The Vega is without doubt the best value for money tablet available right now.

The Archos (7" screen) I bought as a luxury just so I could wander around with my entire music collection (220GB)in my pocket. It also does the basics (music, movies, music, books, etc.) very well, and I don't regret buying it for a moment. However, it came with unrooted with Froyo with no prospect of upgrading. Archos say that rooting it will invalidate your guarantee (don't know if they have a different policy for Gen9 devices). This means no Titanium or nandroid backups.

If you're happy with the Archos specs. (hardware and software) as they stand and don't want to change anything then it would be a good choice. Two days ago, when getting out of bed, my foot got caught in a cable that I should not have left dangling and everything on my bedside cabinet hit the floor quite violently. The Archos continued to work with no problem except that the kickstand (which I'd always thought looked rather fragile) was bent. When I looked at the crack in the kickstand with a hand lens I saw a metallic gleam - it has a metal spine! It was easy to straighten; so I suffered no ill effects from my piece of stupidity.

Meanwhile, thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, my Vega has gone from Froyo to Gingerbread to Honeycomb.

Edited by xathras

Guest Minimonkey
actually its advertised as £200 for the 8inch and £250 for the 10 (though i could be wrong) - Offical honeycomb is the main tempt for me (tho the 250gb hdd is pretty appealing as well) - not sure what that`ll do to battery life tho.

and plus it comes out end of sept which is a looooooooong wait for someone as impatient as myself lol

edit - http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/v3-co-uk-labs-bl...d-tablets-hands - yup £250 ish for the 10incher

From that site:

The 10in device could attract those who watch a lot of multimedia and is reasonably priced at £279

Nice Spec on the Archos website http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/specs....=us&lang=en claiming to be up to 50% faster in web browsing than Tegra2 and Ipad2

What about the Andypad? http://www.andypad.co.uk/

Paul met up with the Andypad team: http://android.modaco.com/content/andypad-...on-the-andypad/

Edited by Minimonkey

Guest Monleyfish
From that site:

The 10in device could attract those who watch a lot of multimedia and is reasonably priced at £279

Nice Spec on the Archos website http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/specs....=us&lang=en claiming to be up to 50% faster in web browsing than Tegra2 and Ipad2

What about the Andypad? http://www.andypad.co.uk/

Paul met up with the Andypad team: http://android.modaco.com/content/andypad-...on-the-andypad/

I'm confused now, Its my birthday soon and I'd settled o a Vega, now I can't get one and there seems to be some nice tabs in the pipeline.

What do I do, it would help if I wasn't the worlds most impatient person.

Suffice to say can't get a vega, nothing else fits the bill for the price right now = very gutted and unhappy man :)

Guest diamondgar

the vega is great value for money i would recommend it to anyone that is happy wiht custom roms etc. However, after using VegaComb briefly and trying out the Xoom etc i would definitely say its worth trying to get a tablet with official honeycomb, even if it means holding out for a few months. Hopefully the vega will get upgraded or there could be a vega 2 soon with honeycomb, but I would not buy a device on the promise of an upgrade though, make sure its honeycomb installed from the get go.

I guess it depends if your willing to wait or not, if you want a tablet now get the vega. Otherwise wait for a budget honeycomb/ICS tablet.

Guest timeslip1974
the vega is great value for money i would recommend it to anyone that is happy wiht custom roms etc. However, after using VegaComb briefly and trying out the Xoom etc i would definitely say its worth trying to get a tablet with official honeycomb, even if it means holding out for a few months. Hopefully the vega will get upgraded or there could be a vega 2 soon with honeycomb, but I would not buy a device on the promise of an upgrade though, make sure its honeycomb installed from the get go.

I guess it depends if your willing to wait or not, if you want a tablet now get the vega. Otherwise wait for a budget honeycomb/ICS tablet.

thats my main worry with the Vega, its Honeycomb -- Ive no probs with custom roms coming from a ZTE Blade and currently owning An Optimus X2 - as far as im aware honeyvega has stopped development and no-one knows what Pauls secret meeting was about....

I know Honeyvega doesnt have Flash which isnt too much of an issue for me but im not sure what other problems it has...

Guest Minimonkey
thats my main worry with the Vega, its Honeycomb -- Ive no probs with custom roms coming from a ZTE Blade and currently owning An Optimus X2 - as far as im aware honeyvega has stopped development and no-one knows what Pauls secret meeting was about....

I know Honeyvega doesnt have Flash which isnt too much of an issue for me but im not sure what other problems it has...

Still working on it: http://twitter.com/#!/Zebwen

Guest warriorscot

As far as anyone has said vegacomb is still a work in progress no mention of moving away from development.

Vega is still a good piece of kit and great value getting something with a tegra chipset for that price is going to be hard. There are lots of tabs out at the moment but unless its tegra I wouldnt bother with it. And the nice thing about the vega its cheap enough that replacing it eventually isn't such a big deal.

Guest IanTurner

The problem with the vega at the moment is it's reserve at store only at the moment and not all stores have them.

Wondering if they're clearing out stock in preparation for something else.

Guest timeslip1974
The problem with the vega at the moment is it's reserve at store only at the moment and not all stores have them.

Wondering if they're clearing out stock in preparation for something else.

You can still get them new on ebay however...

Now that they`ve released more info on the Archos g9 tablets they`re a little less attractive, now at £279 for the basic 10.1 model and £399.99 for the 10.1 with 250 HDD (really over £120 for a 2.5 hdd).....

Vega looking a lot more sexy now lol