Source codes

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest SeanJacko

Hi all

One of the most regular ZTE queries on the forum is regarding the release of source code. I hope this response helps out..

"ZTE is aware of how important it is to make code available and as such is in the process of creating a central site online that will feature all available code – apologies for the hold up, building this site might take some time."

Naturally, as soon as this site is live I'll let you know via the forum and @zte_uk

With regards to specific questions regarding the 2.6.35 kernel, here's the official response.

"There is currently no ZTE product launched with this code. The leaked ROM must be based on a test unit. ZTE cannot release code for unreleased devices and due to commercial sensitivity cannot release code to a public version control system."

Guest Phoenix Silver
Hi all

One of the most regular ZTE queries on the forum is regarding the release of source code. I hope this response helps out..

"ZTE is aware of how important it is to make code available and as such is in the process of creating a central site online that will feature all available code – apologies for the hold up, building this site might take some time."

Naturally, as soon as this site is live I'll let you know via the forum and @zte_uk

With regards to specific questions regarding the 2.6.35 kernel, here's the official response.

"There is currently no ZTE product launched with this code. The leaked ROM must be based on a test unit. ZTE cannot release code for unreleased devices and due to commercial sensitivity cannot release code to a public version control system."

I thought zte skate would be released with gingerbread and kernel 35 ?

And when zte skate will be released is zte should not release the 35 kernel ?

Guest SeanJacko
I thought zte skate would be released with gingerbread and kernel 35 ?

And when zte skate will be released is zte should not release the 35 kernel ?

The Skate is not yet commercially available - once it is officially released please come back to me in the event that the 35 kernel is unreleased and I will certainly flag that issue with ZTE.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Glad to hear about the central site.

Sounds reasonable about the 2.6.35 code - Hopefully it will be released promptly after this new Libra is released though.

Guest Phoenix Silver

Sure i'll do :)

A lot of devs here are making a great work for zte products

Hundred of people here have bought a zte product because of the great existing community (me to begin)

It's the commercial interest of zte to provide us good sources

So we can continue to improve the zte phones

We are all stopped in our work because of the lack of 35 kernel source

32 kernel has reached its limit

Have a nice day

Alice

Guest q123456
Sure i'll do :)

A lot of devs here are making a great work for zte products

Hundred of people here have bought a zte product because of the great existing community (me to begin)

It's the commercial interest of zte to provide us good sources

So we can continue to improve the zte phones

We are all stopped in our work because of the lack of 35 kernel source

32 kernel has reached its limit

Have a nice day

Alice

+1 i would never bought ZTE Device if it wasn't such a great support.

Guest Yuccaman
+1 i would never bought ZTE Device if it wasn't such a great support.

Agreed.... Saw an offer in a forum for the Blade and did some googling and came here.....

When I was buying, 2.2 was the norm on phones with 2.3 on the way so I wouldn't have bought it if it were not for the readily available 2.2 ROMs already as I didn;t want to get stuck with 2.1

Guest leopesto
One of the most regular ZTE queries on the forum is regarding the release of source code.

this is THE QUERY!!!

it's the most important, I can't understand how people can ask for a docking station or asking for phones that maybe will came in 21.12.2012 first of a 2.6.35 source...

please, take this as HIGH PRIORITY.

because I think here we are all agree that that's what us, blade's users, need!

Guest hecatae

The China Unicom V880 blade has just received a rom update to 2.2.2 built on the 24th June, will the 2.6.32 kernel source for this update be made available?

Guest will8578

i agree also with phoenix silver, i had a pulse which has amazing support on modaco, i then made a mistake and spent £200 on a htc wildfire, that was 5 weeks ago, i now own a zte blade because of all the support on this site and because of the great value for money it is, i am now really interested in future zte products

Guest rak007

I too was never aware about ZTE making phones but still went ahead and bought the blade and got the OSF shipped all the way from UK to India (because the Dell XCD35 wasn't available at that time). All this because of the attractive price point and this superb community support.

Edited by rak007

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko
bump :)

A-ha! Good bump... yes the Monte Carlo has been announced on Orange's website. You can't yet buy it yet though. So I'm sorry but it's not quite commercially available...

Guest wbaw

We don't need new websites building, or anything like that.

It should be half a day's work for one of your developers to put all their code on a Github, the website is already there, popular, works well. Do that & everybody will be happy. ZTE will gain hundreds more free unpaid developers, more customers & make it's current customers (us) much happier.

Forget trade secrets & things, there aren't any in the kernel, because the kernel doesn't belong to ZTE, all they have done is modified some free open source software to make it work on the phone. The GPL2 license states that full source code, including any modifications, must be made available to anybody that you make a binary copy available to & that you can't place any additional restrictions on the code. So whoever gets a copy is free to redistribute it however they want as long as they keep the same license & don't restrict it more.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Even if you're only making the kernel available to testers, those testers are entitled to copies of the source code for the kernel & can't be prevented from redistributing that source code. So you might as well just release all the kernels that you're working on, it'll be safer legally & you'll benefit from being able to get them to release quality faster. You might even be able to get your kernels as stable as every other phone manufacturer has before they inflict their phones on the world & be able to catch up with the big name brands in terms of quality.

Edited by wbaw

Guest KACE_231

Im guessing the only reason ZTE havent released the .35 kernel is that it is currently in beta stage, maybe they will release the final bug-free kernel.

Guest JT_daniel

They can make all the modifications they want, but surely they should release the source code?

Cmon ZTE, don't screw this up. The very reason this phone is popular is because of ROM Developers here investing their time (unpaid) and whipping up custom ROMS which we all love to use. No more custom ROMS = No more un-official support = Less buyers for the phone.

And plus, it isn't a favor we are asking. If you use Android as an OS, it's an obligation. So please, help us and help yourselves!

Guest ColdEmbrace

I see the argument for this kernel is more sales, sure more sales of the Skate, looking around online now the skate is officially coming too orange, when the skate is released the blade will cease to be sold.

Guest q123456
We don't need new websites building, or anything like that.

It should be half a day's work for one of your developers to put all their code on a Github, the website is already there, popular, works well. Do that & everybody will be happy. ZTE will gain hundreds more free unpaid developers, more customers & make it's current customers (us) much happier.

Forget trade secrets & things, there aren't any in the kernel, because the kernel doesn't belong to ZTE, all they have done is modified some free open source software to make it work on the phone. The GPL2 license states that full source code, including any modifications, must be made available to anybody that you make a binary copy available to & that you can't place any additional restrictions on the code. So whoever gets a copy is free to redistribute it however they want as long as they keep the same license & don't restrict it more.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Even if you're only making the kernel available to testers, those testers are entitled to copies of the source code for the kernel & can't be prevented from redistributing that source code. So you might as well just release all the kernels that you're working on, it'll be safer legally & you'll benefit from being able to get them to release quality faster. You might even be able to get your kernels as stable as every other phone manufacturer has before they inflict their phones on the world & be able to catch up with the big name brands in terms of quality.

+1000000

Guest Simon O

ZTE are under no obligation to release any kernel code that corresponds to an unreleased device. Once the Skate is available to buy at a retail level then ZTE will most likely upload the code to the ZTE website as they have always done.

ZTE alway wrote "ZTE cannot release code for unreleased devices and due to commercial sensitivity cannot release code to a public version control system.". In simple terms this means no code until the Skate is released, and ZTE won't use github. Obviously this isn't going to stop you using github yourself.