Going to root... Advice please

Guest edeka

Guest edeka

Hello! I got a 2x with 10c and want to root my phone now. I've read through lots of guides, but I'm still not sure what applications/programs/files/guides I'll need. I want to have a backup of my current data and a stock rom file (is it possible to get it back to the normal form so I can keep my warranty?). Furthermore, are there German roms, or ones where I can switch the language to German (I'm from Austria). Ow and yes, can you recommend any good roms (what is your opinion on the best rom)? I like to tinker :)!

Greetings and thank you for your time and help!

edeka

Guest 75markus
Hello! I got a 2x with 10c and want to root my phone now. I've read through lots of guides, but I'm still not sure what applications/programs/files/guides I'll need. I want to have a backup of my current data and a stock rom file (is it possible to get it back to the normal form so I can keep my warranty?). Furthermore, are there German roms, or ones where I can switch the language to German (I'm from Austria). Ow and yes, can you recommend any good roms (what is your opinion on the best rom)? I like to tinker :)!

edeka

hi, first you have to choose wheter you want a froyo (2.2.2.) or gingerbread (2.3.4.) rom ...

gingerbread = cyanogenmod (not all features working yet, but quite stable) -> http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=p990

froyo = Modaco custom rom = FR19 kitchen here in forum (all features working like on stock rom, max. stable)

no need to root before, because all custom roms already have root access ;-)

in both roms you can choose german language !

Guest crazy_elmo

edeka

Just use SuperOneClick, you can root and unroot with the click of a button !

Guest mparack
Will I keep my settings?

yes. rooting doesn't change any of your settings. it just gives enhanced access to the system. use superoneclick as suggested above. it is easy, quick and reversible (just google it for a full guide and download links).

You can get back to stock with NVflash after you have tinkered if you choose to.

Guest edeka

Ok, rooting will keep my settings, but does flashing a custom rom (that's what I want) keep them also (if not, is there any way to manage that)?

ede

Guest mparack
Ok, rooting will keep my settings, but does flashing a custom rom (that's what I want) keep them also (if not, is there any way to manage that)?

ede

Flashing custom ROM will delete all settings.

Root>Titanium Backup>Custom Rom>Restore Titanium Backup should take care of most things for you with only minimal tweaking required. It has been discussed before here and on XDA in the Optimus 2x forums though I don't remember where exactly.

Guest arronov
Just use SuperOneClick, you can root and unroot with the click of a button !

how about Gingerbreak? can it rooting o2x too? recently i've tried SuperOneClick on Galaxy Ace but it make GAce screen's animation so lag (not smooth)

Guest edeka

I've rooted it and am on F19 now, it's fantastically fast D:!!!!! Thanks!

Btw if they release an update to Gingerbread, do I have to get it back to stock rom?

ede

Guest 75markus
I've rooted it and am on F19 now, it's fantastically fast D:!!!!! Thanks!

Btw if they release an update to Gingerbread, do I have to get it back to stock rom?

ede

when there is a official gingerbread update, paul with update his custom roms with it for sure.

no need to go back to stock, you can flash any custom rom over the other...

Guest edeka
when there is a official gingerbread update, paul with update his custom roms with it for sure.

no need to go back to stock, you can flash any custom rom over the other...

Thank you so much! :) Austria :rolleyes:

Guest mparack

Let's hope that is the case.

Guest arronov
how about Gingerbreak? can it rooting o2x too? recently i've tried SuperOneClick on Galaxy Ace but it make GAce screen's animation so lag (not smooth)

anyone? :)

Guest o2mike

I've haven't heared of anyone having problems with a O2X after using SuperOneClick. So why would one want to use something else?