[HOW TO's] Fix a non responsive touchscreen / wrongly calibrated touchscreen

Guest SWOriginal

Guest dibbles

Hi there - thanks for the post. Can you edit your original post slightly - for recovery mode AFAIK you have to have your charger plugged in to allow you to get recovery. Also it is useful to be plugged into your PC before starting as you will hear the chime as the Vega in recovery mode is detected.

Keep up the good work.

You must have missed the last point in the first post...

Your Vega should now be unbricked!... if you cannot get your Vega into recovey mode it has been suggested that some devices need to be plugged into the mains power.
I did not need to have mine plugged in though.

Guest Yogimax

You must have missed the last point in the first post...I did not need to have mine plugged in though.

Apologies - the danger of speed reading! However with my Vega it won't go into recovery unless it is plugged in. :mellow:

• 3 months later...
Guest Herkatus

Hello!

I've followed this guide 'til the end but I'm not being able to connect the mouse.... I've tried 3 mouses: Laser X7, Optical X7 and wireless Microsoft. Any ideas?

Edited by Herkatus

Guest richardmlea

The vega needs to be in usb host mode for the mouse to work.

Turn off the vega by holding the power button for 8 seconds to make sure its off, then breifly press the power button while holding down the back button, hold the back button until the vega fully is booted. you are now in host mode and the mouse should work.

• 1 month later...
Guest welshyx

Hi if any of you could shed some light on my situation!

I am up to the step where you use ADB to boot into recovery mode but every time i enter any of the commands listed in this guide i always get

"error: device not found"

I have tried multiple USB ports and that hasn't changed my results i know that i have followed the guide correctly to this point and it says that the USB debugging is active.

Any ideas ?

Guest richardmlea

Hi if any of you could shed some light on my situation!

I am up to the step where you use ADB to boot into recovery mode but every time i enter any of the commands listed in this guide i always get

"error: device not found"

I have tried multiple USB ports and that hasn't changed my results i know that i have followed the guide correctly to this point and it says that the USB debugging is active.

Any ideas ?

You need to install the correct drivers on your PC.

Install Vegatools on the PC and use the included Audi (automatic driver installer) to install the correct driver.

Run Vegatools as administrator (right click program icon and choose “run as administrator”.

Click install drivers using AUDI,

In the first box select "I want to install the stock rom using recovery mode,

Then put the Vega into recovery mode (I assume you know how to do this but Vega tools will tell you if not)

When the vega is in recovery mode (Vegatools will tell you) complete the 3 step in box 3 (backup drivers, delete old drivers, install the correct drivers).

http://android.modac..._1#entry1856749

ADB will now find the device.

• 4 months later...
Guest MikhailM

Guide updated! Hopefully its allot easier to understand now

Unfortunately in my experience the command "adb shell reboot recovery_2" just causes the tablet to reboot. With roms that have CWM included what worked for me is "adb shell reboot recovery2". However, using the recalibration tools (in fact all available tools and apps) has not sloved my totally un-responsive touchscreen. But I did discover that the Stock rom available from the POV Mobii site is set to host mode by default, so you can use a usb mouse right away to complete the installation and install new calibration apps to try to fix the screen problem.

Guest MikhailM

Guide updated! Hopefully its allot easier to understand now

Hi, SWOriginal, for this useful thread. Unfortunately the method described does not always work. The command line "adb shell reboot recovery_2" in many roms including Newbe5's Modded Stock rom 1.10 just causes a full re-boot. It works with HoneyIce Chimera Updated, but only with "platform-2" (at least on my POW Modii.). Also, the re-callibration tool does not resolve a totally un-responsive touchscreen fro me and a few other aflickted members. There does not seem to be any cure for a touchscreen, which for some reason has lost all touch response!

Guest richardmlea

hi mikhail, sorry for not replying to your pm before now, I have been away for the last week.

have you managed to get a firmware version from you touchscreen and the tputility?

the tputility.apk wont do anything if the firmware on the touchscreen controller is corrupt.

If the firmware is showing as 99.4.8.0 then the firmware is corrupt and the controller is probably done for.

I only know 2 ways to get new firmware onto the the touchscreens but both ways fail if you have 99.4.8.0 showing in the tputility.

The first way teo update the firmware is with the tputility and the firmware and config files. I have these files (extracted for a viewsonic rom). To use the firmware put the fw and config files in the root of a formated sd card on put it in the vega. then use the tputility apk and select fw upgrade to execute the update. If it works it take about 2 minutes to complete. the charger needs to be plugged in for the update to work. dont touch the screen or be temped to reset it because you think its crashed.

The other way is to install viewsonic's stock rom (version 1.09) and go through the setup and then install the viewsonic rom, version 1.11 this has a touchscreen update at first boot that will update the touchscreen if needed. if it fails to work you will see te message tp upgrade for a split second just before selecting the language, blink and you will miss it. If the upgrade works you will see the tp upgrade message of about 2 minutes.

make sure the battery is charged and plugged in or the update will fail. And dont touch the screen during the update, infact if it looks like its working dont touch anything and try to hold your breath.

I honestly dont think this will help if you have 99. firmware showing. I have tried these methods over and over on several screen that show this firmware and it failed on them all.

Infact I have seen the tp firmware upgrade fail a couple of times (on screens that where temperemental before attempting the update) so its not a good idea to try the tp upgrade unless you have no option. That is why i havent posted the firmware and config fies I have publicly and have only given it to people who have asked for it as a last resort. It could potentially cause havok in the wild and break more screens than it would fix.

That said if anyone wants the firmware files just ask.

Guest MikhailM

hi mikhail, sorry for not replying to your pm before now, I have been away for the last week.

have you managed to get a firmware version from you touchscreen and the tputility?

the tputility.apk wont do anything if the firmware on the touchscreen controller is corrupt.

If the firmware is showing as 99.4.8.0 then the firmware is corrupt and the controller is probably done for.

I only know 2 ways to get new firmware onto the the touchscreens but both ways fail if you have 99.4.8.0 showing in the tputility.

The first way teo update the firmware is with the tputility and the firmware and config files. I have these files (extracted for a viewsonic rom). To use the firmware put the fw and config files in the root of a formated sd card on put it in the vega. then use the tputility apk and select fw upgrade to execute the update. If it works it take about 2 minutes to complete. the charger needs to be plugged in for the update to work. dont touch the screen or be temped to reset it because you think its crashed.

The other way is to install viewsonic's stock rom (version 1.09) and go through the setup and then install the viewsonic rom, version 1.11 this has a touchscreen update at first boot that will update the touchscreen if needed. if it fails to work you will see te message tp upgrade for a split second just before selecting the language, blink and you will miss it. If the upgrade works you will see the tp upgrade message of about 2 minutes.

make sure the battery is charged and plugged in or the update will fail. And dont touch the screen during the update, infact if it looks like its working dont touch anything and try to hold your breath.

I honestly dont think this will help if you have 99. firmware showing. I have tried these methods over and over on several screen that show this firmware and it failed on them all.

Infact I have seen the tp firmware upgrade fail a couple of times (on screens that where temperemental before attempting the update) so its not a good idea to try the tp upgrade unless you have no option. That is why i havent posted the firmware and config fies I have publicly and have only given it to people who have asked for it as a last resort. It could potentially cause havok in the wild and break more screens than it would fix.

Thank you for replying, Richard. How do I check my firmware - whether it is 99 or something else? With the tputility.apk?

Guest MikhailM

Hi, Richard,

My screen is not temperamental - it is totally unresponsive to touch. So I would like the firmware and confir files, please. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

Guest MikhailM

The vega needs to be in usb host mode for the mouse to work.

Turn off the vega by holding the power button for 8 seconds to make sure its off, then breifly press the power button while holding down the back button, hold the back button until the vega fully is booted. you are now in host mode and the mouse should work.

Richard, every time I try putting a rom into host mode this way, it just goes into nvflash mode. The only rom this appears to work on is Newbe5's old Vegacomb 1.7!

Guest MikhailM

Hi there - thanks for the post. Can you edit your original post slightly - for recovery mode AFAIK you have to have your charger plugged in to allow you to get recovery. Also it is useful to be plugged into your PC before starting as you will hear the chime as the Vega in recovery mode is detected.

Keep up the good work.

If you do not happen to have the power supply at hand and need to put your tablet into nvfalsh recovery mode you always can. First long press the Power button. As soon as the screen lights up signifying it is botting up, press and hold down the Power button for 6 - 8 seconds to abort the boot. Now immediately hold down the Back button and press the POwer button for 1 - 2 seconds. Assuming you are connected to your PC via the USB cable you will hear the connection sound, confirming you are connected in nvflash recovery mode.

Guest MikhailM

After trying to sort out my totally unresponsive touchscreen on the POV Mobii for over two weeks and having tried every re-calibration tool and utility available, P10 Test rom, updated POV Mobii rom, updated Viewsonic rom and the firmware update and configuration files kindly provided by Richard Lea I have finally accepted defeat and handed back my POV Mobii tablet back to the supplier and got a full re-fund (he did not have any untis to replace).

Richard Lea is right (as I was sure he would be) that if your have the 99 firmware, it is corrupted and can not be either re-calibrated or updated. Sad, but true. Therefore, if your tablet is in warranty, get it replaced or re-funded. If it is out of warrantly, get the touchscreen replaced by the kind man, who offers this service.

Edited by MikhailM

Guest con500

just a question about the touchscreen issues discussed here. Does the issue mostly occur after flashing a new Rom or is it something inherint within certain tabs with the .99 version fw?

Is there any particular Rom that seems to cause this, ie, does a rom actually change the screen fw version i have...I am running vegaics atm with no issues but would like to try Vcream2.1 but am slightly apprehensive in case I mess up the touch controller

So maybe the only pre warning we have is to check our FW version before flashing and as saying goes if it ain't broke...

is there a way to check what version I have from within vegaics, or must I go back to a stock rom?

when I look in >settings > about tablet there is nothing Listed reguarding the firmware

sorry for all the questions but thanx in advance to anyone who can help

Guest richardmlea

just a question about the touchscreen issues discussed here. Does the issue mostly occur after flashing a new Rom or is it something inherint within certain tabs with the .99 version fw?

Is there any particular Rom that seems to cause this, ie, does a rom actually change the screen fw version i have...I am running vegaics atm with no issues but would like to try Vcream2.1 but am slightly apprehensive in case I mess up the touch controller

So maybe the only pre warning we have is to check our FW version before flashing and as saying goes if it ain't broke...

is there a way to check what version I have from within vegaics, or must I go back to a stock rom?

when I look in >settings > about tablet there is nothing Listed reguarding the firmware

sorry for all the questions but thanx in advance to anyone who can help

The 99.4.8.0 firmware code only shows after the touchscreen controller fails. Before the failure the touchscreen will show normal firmware (1.7.20.21 or similar).

The Rom flashing or a particular Rom cant be blamed for this problem. It is caused by an underlying issue with some touchscreens. I believe the touchscreen controller is being cooked by the charging and discharging of the battery and the extra heat caused by custom Roms. They can fail during normal use or after flashing a Rom, It's possible that android's first first boot is sending a Mass calibration or reset command to the touchscreen controller that is prompting the failure but that wont cause a failure unless there is an underlying problem. If a controller fails after flashing a rom then it probably would have failed after flashing any rom or during normal use sooner rather than later.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest con500

than Richard's makes sense. However from my reading both here and over at tabletroms, the majority of TS failures seems to occur during the flashing procedure (or directly after). Can only lead me to believe some screens (batch) are prone to failure or excessive flashing and perhaps not following the correct step by step instruction and failing to perform cwm wipes between installs may also be at fault

as you say Richard heat is an issue, and for me some roms run hotter than others eg, vegaics seems to run hotter ( for me) and the back side of the Vega does become warmer than say if I'm using the vegacomb rom.

Iv also noticed a significant drop in battery life but not sure if this is simply a side effect of ICS or perhaps an overclocking issue....incidently I'm not sure if my current rom is overclocked or not but in the past I have found that overclocking be it phone or laptop etc has caused more hassle for me than is worth in the long run....I recently had to perform a complete wipe of my laptop HD after attempting a slight overclock with no backup ;(

Maybe best to just find a rom we can be happy with and stick to it lol....Don't get me wrong the work the devs are doing here is just amazing and the fact we have the option to even have Ics on the Vega is purely down to the genius's on here so I have to say a massive thanx to them for their work...And I for one find it hard to resist trying em all.

now am rambling

cheers

Edited by con500

Guest mcfly666

Does not work for me, cant get into using host mode with vegacomb but tried using corvus5. The mouse only works on half of the screen in corvus, but i managed to to screen calibration.

After calibration the screen is still not working, i think its a brick. Any ideas?

Guest MikhailM

Does not work for me, cant get into using host mode with vegacomb but tried using corvus5. The mouse only works on half of the screen in corvus, but i managed to to screen calibration.

After calibration the screen is still not working, i think its a brick. Any ideas?

Not sure which rom or calibration tool you used. Try downloading the Viewpad official updated rom from their site. It includes a touchscreen firmware update tool, which attempts to update your firmware as the rom boots. If it that does not work, it also includes a firmware version chack tool and calibration tool. It automatically boots into host mode.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jisu

Hello, first post I think. Sorry but my English is poor.

I was flashing VegaCream Beta3 (coming from VegaCream Beta2.1)

And the touchscreen stopped to work. I tried a lot of ROMs and TS doesn't work.

Installing ROM from POV I could run TPutility and shows FW 98.4.8.0.

I tried the method of this guide, but I'm not able to make work USB mouse on VegaComb.

Anyway if I understand your post there is no way to solve the issue with FW 98... showing, that's right?

Can you send me the FW files to try to fix it with TPutility fw upgrade?

Thank you!

Guest Jisu

Hello, first post I think. Sorry but my English is poor.

I was flashing VegaCream Beta3 (coming from VegaCream Beta2.1)

And the touchscreen stopped to work. I tried a lot of ROMs and TS doesn't work.

Installing ROM from POV I could run TPutility and shows FW 98.4.8.0.

I tried the method of this guide, but I'm not able to make work USB mouse on VegaComb.

Anyway if I understand your post there is no way to solve the issue with FW 98... showing, that's right?

Can you send me the FW files to try to fix it with TPutility fw upgrade?

Thank you!

REPAIRED WITH THIS METHOD:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355021-most-touchscreen-issue%E2%80%99s-explained-and-the-reason-some-touchscreens-are-dying-on-p10an01%E2%80%99s-advent-vega-viewsonic-10s-point-of-view-mobii-ect/

Thanks richardmlea :)