[ROM] ModdedStock_1.10 v2

Guest newbe5

Guest newbe5

This is an extremely simple ROM modification to the standard Advent Vega 1.10 system image that only alters a couple of things. These are as follows:

• /system partition size increased from 128mb to 155mb. (The reason for this will be explained below)
  • su and SuperUser.apk added - You can use root apps as standard now.
  • ClockworkMod Recovery built-in.
  • Added Pauls simple recovery reboot app to get into CWM recovery.

That's all! No google apps, nothing else, just these simple changes. This isn't intended to be used as an everyday ROM (although there is no reason why you couldn't).

The main reason for this, is to be used as ROM base for VegaComb (and any other ROM you wish to use). I have been struggling with the Vega's default partition sizes while trying to port Honeycomb, and rather than spending tons of time trying to make stuff way smaller than it was ever intended to be, this seems like the better option.

So, flash this in nVflash recovery mode (exactly the same as the stock 1.10 image) and off you go. Done. No need to do anything else. You can use this base with any ROM, the ONLY downside is that 30mb of storage has been re-allocated from /data to /system, which most people won't even notice.

ALL future versions of VegaComb will require that you use this modded system image as a base (as they will require more than 125mb of /system space). To return your partitions back to the way they were, just re-flash the stock 1.10 image from www.myadventvega.co.uk (this is the ONLY way to restore your partition sizes, restoring from a Nandroid backup will NOT change your partition sizes back). You DON'T have to return to stock when you want to switch from using VegaComb, all other ROMs should work perfectly fine on top of this base, including Corvus5 and CM7.

Also, it's handy to have this in case you brick your Vega as CWM is pre-installed :)

AS ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING!

Download ModdedStock_1.10 v2 Here!

Edit: Image updated to clean up partition sizes.

Edited by newbe5

Guest mxbob
This is an extremely simple ROM modification to the standard Advent Vega 1.10 system image that only alters a couple of things. These are as follows:
  • /system partition size increased from 128mb to 155mb. (The reason for this will be explained below)

That's all! No google apps, nothing else, just these simple changes. This isn't intended to be used as an everyday ROM (although there is no reason why you couldn't).

The main reason for this, is to be used as ROM base for VegaComb (and any other ROM you wish to use). I have been struggling with the Vega's default partition sizes while trying to port Honeycomb, and rather than spending tons of time trying to make stuff way smaller than it was ever intended to be, this seems like the better option.

So, flash this in nVflash recovery mode (exactly the same as the stock 1.10 image) and off you go. Done. No need to do anything else. You can use this base with any ROM, the ONLY downside is that 30mb of storage has been re-allocated from /data to /system, which most people won't even notice.

ALL future versions of VegaComb will require that you use this modded system image as a base (as they will require more than 125mb of /system space). To return your partitions back to the way they were, just re-flash the stock 1.10 image from www.myadventvega.co.uk (this is the ONLY way to restore your partition sizes, restoring from a Nandroid backup will NOT change your partition sizes back). You DON'T have to return to stock when you want to switch from using VegaComb, all other ROMs should work perfectly fine on top of this base, including Corvus5 and CM7.

Also, it's handy to have this in case you brick your Vega as CWM is pre-installed :)

Download ModdedStock_1.10 Here!

just so i have this clear......

so there is no advantage to updating to this unless (until) you are running vegacomb roms which require it?

Guest Yogimax

Thanks for this.

Just to confirm my understanding of the situation..

The Stock ROM sets the various partition sizes - nandroid backup or restore does not affect these sizes. :rolleyes:

To move to these new partition sizes I should (irrespective of which ROM I am running) carry out a full nandroid backup.

Flash the modded system image which will create the new partition sizes and includes CWM

Restore the backup I have just made into the new partitions using the built in CWM?

This would then have me back where I currently am but with the partition changes in place irrespective of whether I am running Vegacomb or Corvus5 etc. :)

Cheers

Guest newbe5
Thanks for this.

Just to confirm my understanding of the situation..

The Stock ROM sets the various partition sizes - nandroid backup or restore does not affect these sizes. ;)

To move to these new partition sizes I should (irrespective of which ROM I am running) carry out a full nandroid backup.

Flash the modded system image which will create the new partition sizes and includes CWM

Restore the backup I have just made into the new partitions using the built in CWM?

This would then have me back where I currently am but with the partition changes in place irrespective of whether I am running Vegacomb or Corvus5 etc. :)

Cheers

EXACTLY :rolleyes: Yup, this is 100% spot on. This is to be used either for crash/black-screen recovery (as it has CWM pre-installed), and as a preparation for future VegaComb updates :rolleyes:

Once you have done it, you don't have to run it again, everything else can be done through CWM. I have done it this way to avoid having to distribute all new versions of VC as nVflash installers!

newbe5

Guest Yogimax
EXACTLY :) Yup, this is 100% spot on. This is to be used either for crash/black-screen recovery (as it has CWM pre-installed), and as a preparation for future VegaComb updates :rolleyes:

Once you have done it, you don't have to run it again, everything else can be done through CWM. I have done it this way to avoid having to distribute all new versions of VC as nVflash installers!

newbe5

I understand - no probs! Does this mean that Vegacomb 1.7 (or higher :rolleyes: ) might be forthcoming shortly?

Cheers

Guest duvee

I am a noob in the meaning of the change.. but does this mean we have also a bigger memory for apps?

am chaning to this mod now. :)

Guest newbe5

RemSteale just pointed out on Twitter that you might NOT be able to restore nandroid backups that were made before you change the partition sizes. I honestly haven't tested this, so I can't say either way. If someone manages to test, let me know :)

newbe5

Guest newbe5
I am a noob in the meaning of the change.. but does this mean we have also a bigger memory for apps?

am chaning to this mod now. :)

Actually, it means we have more memory for apps in /system (the ROM itself) but actually a little LESS space for installable apps from the market unfortunately. But if you use Link2SD then that should never be a problem anyway :rolleyes:

newbe5

Guest rebeldx
RemSteale just pointed out on Twitter that you might NOT be able to restore nandroid backups that were made before you change the partition sizes. I honestly haven't tested this, so I can't say either way. If someone manages to test, let me know :rolleyes:

newbe5

flashed the new modded stock rom, then restored my 1.6 vegacomb worked flawlessly :)

sooooo lookin forward to 1.7 ...... i keep refreshing the forum to find out if its ready lol

Edited by rebeldx

Guest mrgum6y

This would be a great addition to Solidare's Vega tools.

But maybe he should wait and stick some 1.7 vegacomb stuff in there too.

Guest HypoTurtle

Just flashed the new stock and restored Nandroid backup (used advanced restore in case there were any issues.)

Seems to run flawlessly, the only think I've noticed is that just over 30MB has gone walkabout from the internal memory; had a look in titanium before and after the stock change, memory has moved correctly; System ROM up to 155MB, internal down to 317MB (27MB moved) however before the change I had about 98MB free, now only about 40MB. May be an issue generated by the nandroid backup so I'd recommend that you have at least 60MB internal memory free before using this new stock and using nandroid.

Also is there any possibility (if stable to do so) to reclaim unused memory allocated to the tegra?

Personally I'd leave it alone, but just making sure it's been looked at.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest Neilkt

Also, it's handy to have this in case you brick your Vega as CWM is pre-installed :blink:

Download ModdedStock_1.10 Here!

Hi

thanks for the hard work.....really appreciate it. without you this device would not be what it is today.

Question....does this rom base have the larger 40mb cache size for larger market app downloads like i assume the vegacomb does (not used vegacomb yet

but will hopefully soon :huh: )

been struggling to find a good solution for this....as i've paid for samurai thd 2 app, but unable to install due to cache size.

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere....but i've looked for hours trying to find a solution that i understand!!!

if not, is it easy to change the flash.cfg before i flash it, again read somewhere...i'm not a dev so really reluctant to mess around too much

using cyanogen 7 at the moment, was on corvus 5 (fancied something new for a bit!!)

thank you.

Guest swampyk

Flashed with the new stock rom and CWM recovered my Corvus5SP1 image with no problems what so ever.

Thanks guys for all the hardwork.

Edited by swampyk

Actually, it means we have more memory for apps in /system (the ROM itself) but actually a little LESS space for installable apps from the market unfortunately. But if you use Link2SD then that should never be a problem anyway :blink:

newbe5

What about the download cache partition? Currently VegaComb (well 1.6 on mine does) allows apps greater than 30mb to be downloaded from the market. There are quite a few games that are bigger than 30mb now. Will we loss this functionality? I only ask as I mainly use my Vega for gaming these days.

If so then I will be sticking to 1.6, and in all honesty that would be a backwards step.

Guest newbe5
What about the download cache partition? Currently VegaComb (well 1.6 on mine does) allows apps greater than 30mb to be downloaded from the market. There are quite a few games that are bigger than 30mb now. Will we loss this functionality? I only ask as I mainly use my Vega for gaming these days.

If so then I will be sticking to 1.6, and in all honesty that would be a backwards step.

No, this will still work, there is a hack in VegaComb which bypasses the /cache partition when installing large apps and forces it to cache to the SDCard instead. This functionality will remain the same :blink:

I should really think about adding this hack in to Corvus5, do people have issues installing large apps on that?

newbe5

Guest WWEpsp

just downloaded this just ready for 1.7.

How are you using this extra space??(Vegacomb)

anyone has test this with 1.6? it runs smoother?

Guest Yogimax
No, this will still work, there is a hack in VegaComb which bypasses the /cache partition when installing large apps and forces it to cache to the SDCard instead. This functionality will remain the same :blink:

I should really think about adding this hack in to Corvus5, do people have issues installing large apps on that?

newbe5

Yes - to install Samurai THD I had to do the messing round with partition sizes etc. If this can be patched - great!

newbe5

Nice to know ... thanks newbe

Guest PurpleRob

Hi there everyone

I've Just flashed this and put my curvus5 and sp1 backup on, how can I tell if it's worked as I have checked all the volumes and they seem to be the same.

Thank you for any replies

Rob

Guest peeweets

When you say (flash this in nVflash recovery mode) please could some one explain a little bit more as i am new to this. Many Thanks.

Guest rrbaas

If i'm using Beta 1.6, i first have to reflash to the modded stock, and then reflash to beta 1.7?

Do i have to delete dalvik cache?