Alternatives To ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo

Guest XiaoKai

Guest Hanks6

Hello

Can you please copy/paste few links where xperia play is 155-200 gbp.

Thank you.

quite a few sites, but alas stock has been sketchy or still forthcoming...

play, amazon & expansys @ 199

argos 179.99 (was in stock a few days ago but sold out instantly) http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?jspStoreDir=argos&catalogId=1500002901&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FSearch%3FstoreId%3D10001&cmpid=COJUN&langId=-1&searchTerms=5261150&referrer=COJUN&storeId=10001&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674|prd%3A1546795

lowest has been 155, but the site in question is not even taking orders now (unbranded/unlocked despite being sold with t-mobile sim) http://www.chitterchatter.co.uk/sony-ericsson/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-pre-order-pa-110.php

if you want one best bet is to keep checking hotukdeals and be ready to act fast if it pops up anywhere at a good price and in-stock...

personally i'm sticking with the acer liquid metal order...i don't need the larger screen so much and would prefer a more portable handset with slightly better battery life. but the xperia play is a lot of phone for the price, great value.

Guest dadashi

If you want your smartphone to replace you psp, then xperia play is probably for you...

...better discussed in a playstation forum....

I wouldnt catagorise it as a skate alternative....not really comparable

Edited by dadashi

I currently have a company-owned Samsung Omia II i8000. By now I'm getting sick of the windows mobile 6.x platform and I want to move away from it. I've been following the O2Droid project for a few months but so far the lack of bluetooth support has been a showstopper for me.

In the near future (a couple of weeks I suppose) another beta (v3) will be coming out with (handsfree) bluetooth support. Now I noticed that a budget retailer in my country (Aldi) will be selling a rebranded, but unlocked, ZTE Skate for 200€ and now I'm wondering what would be the best option, as both phones seem to have similar hardware?

800 Mhz CPU, 3.7 vs 4.2" screen, same screen resolution, ...

would the speed be compareable or would there still be a big difference?

Guest Chris_67

I had the opportunity to directly compare them. That's why I can tell you: There still is a big difference. Everything is so much smoother on the Skate. The i8000 has a smaller resistive single touch screen - really not comparable to a 4,3" screen with capacitive multitouch. The OLED screen of the i8000 is great, but the TFT of the Skate is really one of the best TFTs around.

On Quadrant benchmark the i8000 ranges beneath the Galaxy S. I think it scores 530 points. It's not really clear on the

(btw: he skipped the parts where the i8000 really lags). The Skate runs every one of the shown parts completely fluid. On the skipped parts, the Skate lags too, but with 949 points it still scores nearly twice as much as the i8000. In the result-diagram, the Skate ranges between the Galaxy S and the Droid X (both with 1GHz CPUs). Edited by Chris_67

Guest TouchyAndalou

If you want your smartphone to replace you psp, then xperia play is probably for you...

It's definitely comparable. Apart from having a slightly smaller screen (4" vs 4.3"), it offers everything the Skate does and more, and it's not massively more expensive.

Guest gregorv
Guest Atomix86

Is this some sort of joke? It's by no means "a PSP replacement", it makes a cracking good 'droid phone, it just happens to have a good spec and gaming controls as a sweetener ;)

Is this some sort of joke? It's by no means "a PSP replacement", it makes a cracking good 'droid phone, it just happens to have a good spec and gaming controls as a sweetener ;)

Its no where near as slim as the Skate

Guest tilal6991

you don't like the Skate. You've made your feelings clear

I think everyone should stop fighting about which phone is better. This is a forum for the skate. So we should concentrate on the skate.

Guest Atomix86

Its no where near as slim as the Skate

And how does a few mm extra thickness make it "non comparable"? They both have big screens, both run Gingerbread, similarly priced etc. :rolleyes:

And how does a few mm extra thickness make it "non comparable"? They both have big screens, both run Gingerbread, similarly priced etc. :rolleyes:

I'm only trying to find negatives haha because I would have bought the Xperia play if I never had a Skate :P the skate is 10.4mm thick whereas the Xperia is 16mm think...which is way too thick for a phone.

Guest tilal6991

And how does a few mm extra thickness make it "non comparable"? They both have big screens, both run Gingerbread, similarly priced etc.

how are they similarily priced - play is 200 skate is 75 with quidco deal.

Guest Atomix86

I'm only trying to find negatives haha because I would have bought the Xperia play if I never had a Skate :P the skate is 10.4mm thick whereas the Xperia is 16mm think...which is way too thick for a phone.

Ha ok fair play.

how are they similarily priced - play is 200 skate is 75 with quidco deal.

Play is £149.99 and Skate is... £229. If you mean the Monte Carlo that's still £149.99 RRP, there just happens to be a deal atm, and not everybody uses quidco.

Guest tilal6991

Ha ok fair play.

Play is £149.99 and Skate is... £229. If you mean the Monte Carlo that's still £149.99 RRP, there just happens to be a deal atm, and not everybody uses quidco.

nope the omc is £119.

And where is the play £150?

Also I'm pretty sure people would sign up to quidco if they could get a saving of £40

Guest Atomix86
nope the omc is £119 permenatly including top up.

Really? If that's true that has actually re-piqued my interest.

And where is the play £150?

Direct from o2. And as stated in this thread, another online shop but it has since been modified.

Guest tilal6991

Direct from o2. And as stated in this thread, another online shop but it has since been modified.

Yep - on Orange website.

And wouldn't the play be locked to O2 if it was from them?

Guest Atomix86

Yep - on Orange website.

Ok ill have a look cheers. And yeah but so is the OMC, which I believe is still not unlockable (but Play is).

Guest netdudeuk

No, NOT really. The £10 top-up is still required.

Edited by netdudeuk

Guest tilal6991

No, NOT really. The £10 top-up is still required.

ah. Ok. I just realised that the guy haggled with orange so he got it for that price. Still 130 or 75 with quidco is not a bad deal.

Guest netdudeuk

ah. Ok. I just realised that the guy haggled with orange so he got it for that price. Still 130 or 75 with quidco is not a bad deal.

I'll let you off then :)

Guest TouchyAndalou

Yep - on Orange website.

It is locked, but one massive benefit is that since it's O2 it can also be used on giffgaff right out of the box.

I'm happy with my Skate and have no regrets buying it, but I have to say that £150 for a giffgaff Play is a fantastic deal.

Guest TouchyAndalou

I had a look on the O2 site and only found it as part of a contract deal. Was I missing something ?

I just had a look and can't see it advertised on their site yet either, but news of it dropping in price was all over the net a couple days ago.

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/10/17/iphone-4-rival-alert-sony-ericsson-xperia-play-150-o2/