Advice needed - am I thinking along the right lines?

Guest EDBANGER

Guest EDBANGER

OK so I don't really understand the technical side of things and if I'm honest alot of what is spoken about on this forum and others goes over my head but I am able to follow simple guides. So this is my plan, am I thinking along the right lines......................

I want to remove the majority of stock applications from my desire that came with T-mobiles crap but I don't really want to change anything else, I just want the extra memory so I intend to do the following:

* Root my phone using a guide from here or somewhere else

* Download root explorer and superuser apps

* Use root explorer to delete the crap

So does that sound like it'll achieve my desired outcome??

Cheers

ED

Guest N3tieb

Simply said you cant. Why? If you delete stock apps wich came with the phone you will only clear up space wich is reserved for the system itself. Resulting from this you wont gain more space on the data part of you phone, because it will stay the same. If you want more space use app2sd or use a rom where the data storage already has been extended.

Guest EDBANGER

But my phone is always telling me that storage space is low and when I delete applications that seems to resolve the issue. Not all the apps give me the option of moving them to my SD card???

Guest bpivk

But my phone is always telling me that storage space is low and when I delete applications that seems to resolve the issue. Not all the apps give me the option of moving them to my SD card???

Because you're deleting the apps that you've installed. System apps are residing on a different partition.

Think of it like two drives. A has system and B has your files. When you run out of storage you clean the files on B. The files on A wouldn't make any impact on the space on B.

But there is a data and data/data directories that reside on B and take most of the storage. A2SD+ and similar scripts will help freeing some space by moving it to SD.

So do some search and you'll get lots of options. The best way IMHO would be by using S-OFF, resizing partitions and using a script to move the files. But that's up to you.