Advent Vega V2

Guest Jacobyte

Guest The Soup Thief

All,

Rumour mill says it will be out end of September so get saving...

I'm an absolute sucker for an enticing rumour but c'mon, that's just not fair - gimme some sources for your info, else we may as well all start briefing w nonsense about the forthcoming lighter than air Huawei U8800 replacement with added lasers wot I just thunk up

Madness that way lies, so please cite yer sources so we can maintain a little bit of sensible discussion

Else maybe we should suggest a "rumour and vapourware" thread on modaco

Might be an idea to keep it all in one handy bucket

Guest arnookie

Rumour in pcworld is that it will be :-

Tegra 3.

16gb ram

7inch and 10inch versions

better screen.

Still no market? weired as I thought we would get that.

Unlocked and rooted from release. Confirmed by dsg memo Happy days.

£265 ? £285 on release. but not confirmed. : O)

Sounds a little dear should be no more than £250 in my opinion. They may get away with that price if specs match the above.

Not sure how true this is but Tegra 3 seems a little to good to be true in my opinion.

But I did see the memo stating unlocked and unrooted. Maybe it will take a sim with it saying unlocked.

Edited by arnookie

Guest Jacobyte

Here is the spec from the "Horses Mouth" ie from someone who has been in contact with the factory.. You can see the full thread in the Advent V1 forum under Advent Vega V2

"will be slim more. just 10.5mm, 1280*800lcd, 10point touch, double camera. around 670g. will be built 4GB or 16GB EMMC storage. but OS will be android 2.2 still.

yes, its' tegra250 still. and Gyroscope. i guess can buy it on end of sep"

Still trying to work out the killer features compared to the Archos G9 or other Honeycomb tablets that will be out before Xmas...

Guest phil8715

Here is the spec from the "Horses Mouth" ie from someone who has been in contact with the factory.. You can see the full thread in the Advent V1 forum under Advent Vega V2

"will be slim more. just 10.5mm, 1280*800lcd, 10point touch, double camera. around 670g. will be built 4GB or 16GB EMMC storage. but OS will be android 2.2 still.

yes, its' tegra250 still. and Gyroscope. i guess can buy it on end of sep"

Still trying to work out the killer features compared to the Archos G9 or other Honeycomb tablets that will be out before Xmas...

If it's only 2.2 then I can't see any point in buying it. It seems like a cynical ploy to part with our hard earned cash.

Guest PAUL1897

If it's only 2.2 then I can't see any point in buying it. It seems like a cynical ploy to part with our hard earned cash.

Chinese sites are already ripping off VEGACOMB and the big players on this site have been aware of the device for sometime.

I don't see any mainstream euro tablet being released without HC , from here on in.

The vega was an cult device , a sleeper a hit with knowledgeable users it has low value as a 'brand'

No way will folks ( of any demographic) shell out for a mainstream , high street tablet that does 2.2.

Even folks buying the £149 hanspree (similar spec) on ebuyerexpress and looking to upgrade straight away

P1897

Guest Jacobyte

The pricing mentioned by the guy from PC World desont make any sense if its just a better screen and decent camera's.

The only way I would buy a cheap tablet with 2.2 in it was if it was Tegra 3.. Then load Vegacomb on it... Didnt I kinda do that last Xmas lol....

We seem to be missing the X-Factor lol

Guest Mark_L

OH dear Oh dear Oh dear..

Whoever it is at Advent making these decisions really, really REALLY needs to go back to business school.

A vega 2 running 2.2 will bomb, no one's going too buy it.

A vega 2 running Honeycomb for a lot more money (£350+) is gonna bomb, they'll be too much competition in that price bracket.

A vega 2 running Honeycomb with Tega 3 for £200 -> £250.. now thats got potential.

If its going to be running 2.2 then perhaps Advent are counting on the modder community to provide a honeycomb update (aka vegacomb) for a Vega 2 so they can cash in..

If so they'd better pay Corvus and others some cold hard cash for thier work.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest alexzhou

Good news! Android 3.2 source code will release soon. maybe V2 can be with 3.2. I get one v2 engeering sample. touch panel and lcd is very nice. don't need switch the usb slave and usb host again. that have two mini usb. one is for power chare and slave, one is for host.

Guest Jacobyte

Good news! Android 3.2 source code will release soon. maybe V2 can be with 3.2. I get one v2 engeering sample. touch panel and lcd is very nice. don't need switch the usb slave and usb host again. that have two mini usb. one is for power chare and slave, one is for host.

Based on the spec you stated its hard to imgaine why anyone would by an Advent Vega V2. It doesnt seeem that much different from Vega V1. The Archos G9 has HC plus a more advanced chipset that Tegra 2 which is getting old.

Is there some magic in the Advent Vega V2 which would make it worth buying?

Guest Bunjit

Any chance of posting a video AlexZhou? Any more details on it would be greatly appreciated

Based on the spec you stated its hard to imgaine why anyone would by an Advent Vega V2. It doesnt seeem that much different from Vega V1. The Archos G9 has HC plus a more advanced chipset that Tegra 2 which is getting old.

Is there some magic in the Advent Vega V2 which would make it worth buying?

All depends on price

Guest Jacobyte

The case redisign is a huge improvement over the Stalinist influenced V1. The Home and back keys moved onto the side of the case is a plus and the screen looks better.

However, the 2.2 UI is just plain depressing...Look at the Archos G9 Ad's for a comparision.

I dont see anything there that would justify £280!

Looks like the Product Manager needs a kicking

Guest Jacobyte

"Just tweeted from newbe5 following the announcement of the breakthrough with the Adam HC rom http://tabletroms.co...n-Kernel-2.6.36:

"So, the Vega has a semi-working .36 kernel which is now booting fully-accelerated Android :) Totally not working fully yet, but flash works!"

Fully hardware accelerated VegaComb here we come :D"

Looks like Vegacomb is coming to the Rescue of the Advent Vega V2 .. Although its still not enough to make it an attractive purchase..

Guest Jacobyte

Is the Advent Vega V2 actually the Shuttle N10CN12? Who make it if it not Shuttle?

Jacobyte

Guest User_x4pro

hi there, i wondering should i really wait for the advent shuttle to be released or just buy a normal vega now ? ive held off for long enough and its time to make a decision, any 1 got anymore leaked news about this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bunjit

hi there, i wondering should i really wait for the advent shuttle to be released or just buy a normal vega now ? ive held off for long enough and its time to make a decision, any 1 got anymore leaked news about this?

I was in the same boat as you, but couldn't wait - and I'm glad I didn't.

With the Vega 2 apparently shifting with 2.2, and the ROM chefs close to serving up a 3.2 release, it's a no brainer. Who knows how long it will be until the Vega2 is released (probably before Xmas is all we know at this point) and when Honeycomb is hacked to fit on it. By that time I may be ready for a new tablet anyway, and I'll probably get my money back on a Honeycomb Vega v1 on Ebay.

Guest arnookie

PCWorld stated today that a septembre release date for Vega 2. So not a long wait.

They still insist it will be tegra 3 but I am reluctant to believe that at all. Would be great if it is!

Thay still recon it will have 2.2 but will get upgrade to honey 3.2 around end Nov / Dec time.

Did they not promise the First Vega would get Honey update at a later time also?

Bad deceision if they don't ship with 3.2, people will be reluctant to wait for honey 3.2 and if it will come or not.

They never gave any more statements on honey for Vega 1 apart from making false promises.

Hope we still see it come along soon but will not hold my breath. The devs here are doing more for us than dsg regarding that issue.

: O)