Bluetooth

WiFi

1.2GHz Cortex A8 CPU

HDMI output supporting 1080p

Android 2.3 Gingerbread

£179

Check the website out: http://www.andypad.co.uk/

Guest meinnit

Only 400 available at time of writing BTW.

Paul PLEASE make a Hannspree forum! You can't refuse to buy one at this price can you? :)

Guest k0zmic

I'm glad the Pro version has a higher screen resolution, 1024x600 would look good on a 7 inch tablet.

My only wish is that it ge's a 'true' tablet OS like Honeycomb even though that's unlikely but I guess I can dream.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Simon O

I'm glad the Pro version has a higher screen resolution, 1024x600 would look good on a 7 inch tablet.

My only wish is that it ge's a 'true' tablet OS like Honeycomb even though that's unlikely but I guess I can dream.

Ice Cream Sandwich is due to hit AOSP by the end of the year which will be the unified phone+tablet OS. Andy Pad already said they will work to bring this to the Andy Pads.

Also I cannot see it taking long for some devs to port CyanogenMod 7 to the Andy Pad too. And maybe somebody can figure out a way to shoehorn a Honeycomb rom from another tablet onto the Andy Pad.

I want one purely for the modding potential.

Guest k0zmic

Ice Cream Sandwich is due to hit AOSP by the end of the year which will be the unified phone+tablet OS. Andy Pad already said they will work to bring this to the Andy Pads.

Also I cannot see it taking long for some devs to port CyanogenMod 7 to the Andy Pad too. And maybe somebody can figure out a way to shoehorn a Honeycomb rom from another tablet onto the Andy Pad.

I want one purely for the modding potential.

Ahh, that's definitely good.

True, is the processor similar to the one in the Galaxy Tab & Galaxy S phones?

Yeah, I think it could be a nice little device to play/mess around with. Maybe it could be the Blade of tablets in time biggrin.gif

Edited by k0zmic

Guest meinnit

The hannspree is fine if you like tablets with shitty screens, like the Vega.

How do you know that Andypad screen is any better?

Guest Simon O

How do you know that Andypad screen is any better?

Paul has use a prototype of the AndyPad and says the screen looks fine, also there is a video of the AndyPad in action here

Anyway if you want to buy the Hannspad you really should try and look at one first. The screen is the same as the vega which means it suffers from a very low optimal viewing angle. Also apart from a CM7 port the Hannspad doesn't have much in the way of custom roms.

Guest StuMcBill

Paul has use a prototype of the AndyPad and says the screen looks fine, also there is a video of the AndyPad in action here

Anyway if you want to buy the Hannspad you really should try and look at one first. The screen is the same as the vega which means it suffers from a very low optimal viewing angle. Also apart from a CM7 port the Hannspad doesn't have much in the way of custom roms.

I think the AndyPad Pro looks like a decent device for those of us on a budget! I just had a play with a BlackBerry Playbook (which has a similar screen size I think?) and I think it is an ideal screen size for casual web surfing. I would like to see a video of Web surfing, just to see how it looks!

Hopefully it will be easily rootable and we might see some Honeycomb ROMs, and if the AndyPad team is going to try and get Ice Cream Sandwich on it officially, thats great!

Do you think that the A8 Cortex CPU will be able to play the latest games (as claimed by AndyPad team)?

AndyPad website is down ATM actually!

Stew

Guest k0zmic

Do you think that the A8 Cortex CPU will be able to play the latest games (as claimed by AndyPad team)?

Games that work on the Galaxy S (Original), Droid X and Milestone 2 should all work on the AndyPad I reckon. As regards with Tegra 2 games I'm not sure.

Guest Sere83

My 2 pence:

As Flibbspan speculated I would say that this is almost certainly a chinese re-brand, looks very familiar. And based on the clock speed alone and the fact it is 1080p capable it is almost certainly running the Rockchip RK2918 CPU. Also as Flib mentioned the Rockchip RK2918 is a very capable Chipset, and Rockchip are a massive licensed ARM core manufacturer in China. Archos are already using their chipsets in some of their lower end models.They are one of if not the biggest domestic brands.

The RK2918 chip set itself comes with a Vivante CG800 GPU and all the quadrant scores I have seen have suggested much improved performance over the Samsung S5PV210 series cores found in the galaxy Tab etc etc. 1080p, 3d gaming and smooth flash playback will not be a problem.

In terms of whether this is worth it. Well for a start Rockchip RK2918 based tablets are flying out of China manufacturers like nobodies business atm and have been for a few months now. Almost every single big manufacturer in China has a RK2918 or the older RK2818 device on the market. Teclast, Onda, Ramos, Ainol, Hyundai, Ployer, Chewi, Window, Gemei and obviously hundreds of other OEM's and smaller manufacturers. Some of them are very capable. Another popular china Chipset ATM is a Single Core Cortex A9 AMLogic chipset which features a Mali 400 GPU as seen in the Samsung Exynos Chipset as used in the Galaxy S 2.

Ainol just dropped a 8 inch AMlogic based sub $200 tablet running a crazy 1280 x 800 display. Very capable, & well built but falls well short in the battery department (only 3hrs).

Nevertheless, the common misconception that Chinese based tablets are all junk is rubbish. Sure many are, and many have their shortcomings, but with the recent move to Android and A8/A9 cores, there are some very capable and nice devices appearing. Incidentally the android builds and support found on these RK2918 tablets are definitely the most solid out of any Chinese chipsets.

Now the question is whether this is worth it. Obviously the Resistive model is not for me. But the pro model has been agressively priced, almost on par with some of the better more established Chinese brands. The fact that it is being marketed by a British company alone means better support, probably improved firmware debugging and more consistent updates. Plus not to mention more unofficial FW's from here. The main issue though for me is the battery.

It actually shares the exact same spec as the Teclast T760. Which has been one of the strongest performing Rockchip Tablets coming out of China to date. With impressive 6+ hour battery scores, so it is definitely possible. Nevertheless other Rockchip tablets have been performing less well in terms of power consumption. Optimization will be key.

My only reservation is the fact that in 2 months time you may be able to get something better in China for a similar price.

I would go over to the forums at www.mp4nation.net though for some solid video English language reviews of Chinese rock chip and other A8/A9 based Chinese hardware to get a feel of what to expect.

It is also worth noting also the Kogan tablet has an 800x480 diaplay and is S5PV210 based. The Andy pad will definitely out perform it.

UPDATE: In fact looking at the picture the Pro model this may very well be a slightly re-designed Teclast T760 re-brand in white.

acheter-tablette-tactile-teclast-t760-7-pouces-1024x600-12ghz-android-23-flash-wifi-bluetooth-00.jpg

Incidentally if this is what it is, don't expect good viewing angles on the screen. The panel is average. Great news for battery life though. From looking at the pics the two Andypad models seem to be a different shape too.

Edited by Sere83

Guest Zarch1972

Great summary Sere83, many thanks.

Not sure i'm keen on the pure bright white casing....... I wonder if they'll release a black option? :D

Guest Sere83

No worries.....

So I decided to send a quick email over to andy pad, who were very helpful in answering a few questions.

The original andy pad is an original design however as suspected the Andy Pad Pro is, and I quote 'based off of a previous tablet template similar to the Teclast.'

Battery life: 'Unconfirmed yet – but it’s not bad. We played BBC iPlayer yesterday for a good 3 hours and you can run LOTR and still have half battery left!'

Updates: 'Yes. Each Andy Pad has a special app which handles updates, support, patches etc. Also the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich.'

Colours: 'At present they will both only be available in white'.

This is very good news. Of all the reference designs to choose from Chinese manufacturers they actually chose very wisely with the Teclast. It is one of the best available on the Chinese market. Battery life will definitely not disappoint. To put this in perspective an 8GB version of the Teclast T760 tablet is currently available for around $250 shipped from China. Obviously exporters mark up slightly and add shipping cost.

The Andy Pad Pro however will include all the updates/support and free apps, not to mention 16GB of flash, again making it pretty good value if you ask me. Check out this thread over at Mp4nation, which talks in depth about the pro's and cons of the T760...

T760 Impressions

Also a video review....

Edited by Sere83

Guest McSpoon

Lots of info there Sere83, great stuff.

Updates: 'Yes. Each Andy Pad has a special app which handles updates, support, patches etc. Also the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich.'

I wish they wouldn't make claims like that about Ice Cream Sandwich. Many manufacturers who promised OS upgrades have failed to deliver them and I'm highly skeptical that their app could perform an entire OS upgrade. The device is great for what it is. This community might find a way to install Ice Cream Sandwich onto it but it saddens me when people buy a device under the misconception it will get an upgrade to make it better.

Guest Simon O

Lots of info there Sere83, great stuff.

I wish they wouldn't make claims like that about Ice Cream Sandwich. Many manufacturers who promised OS upgrades have failed to deliver them and I'm highly skeptical that their app could perform an entire OS upgrade. The device is great for what it is. This community might find a way to install Ice Cream Sandwich onto it but it saddens me when people buy a device under the misconception it will get an upgrade to make it better.

Google have stated that ICS will be on AOSP like other versions of Android so it's very possible for AndyPad to build one for the AndyPad. The update app that comes will the AndyPad will be able to update the OS easily. Think about apps like ROM Manager.. how do they update the OS? Download the ROM, reboot into recovery and flash. Easy enough to be automated :)

Guest Sere83

Yeah the fact that it will be an AOSP release is great news for sure. Doesn't seem to far out of the realms of possibility that they could create ICS roms for these.

Andypad also told me they have a couple of in house engineers and external devs helping out, as well as people working on the ROMs at the factory in China. They seem to be dedicated to making the FW on these devices perform well, which is great news.

Edited by Sere83

Guest McSpoon

Sure, an ICS port for the AndyPads might be possible. But we know it's a huge task with many challenges and once they've sold the device they have little incentive to waste money on free upgrades.

ROM Manager could perform the update but it requires a rooted device. They're unlikely to sell the AndyPad rooted. Their app could have special permissions by being pre-installed but I hope it's carefully done to avoid security vulnerabilities and they would need those mechanisms in place before they ship the device.

If they're responsible for this freelance job posting my worry is they'll recruit the first person who says it can be done. They're unlikely to attract someone as talented as Koush.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I would prefer them to only promise what they honestly know they can deliver. If they manage to bring ICS then it will be a bonus but they shouldn't need to make such claims.

Guest Simon O

Sure, an ICS port for the AndyPads might be possible. But we know it's a huge task with many challenges and once they've sold the device they have little incentive to waste money on free upgrades.

ROM Manager could perform the update but it requires a rooted device. They're unlikely to sell the AndyPad rooted. Their app could have special permissions by being pre-installed but I hope it's carefully done to avoid security vulnerabilities and they would need those mechanisms in place before they ship the device.

If they're responsible for this freelance job posting my worry is they'll recruit the first person who says it can be done. They're unlikely to attract someone as talented as Koush.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I would prefer them to only promise what they honestly know they can deliver. If they manage to bring ICS then it will be a bonus but they shouldn't need to make such claims.

Yes they posted that ad and it has been filled by somebody known in the Android community who knows what they are doing. I cannot say any more than that.

Guest StuMcBill

Someone asked them this on twitter: @AndyPadUK Will the andypad get Honeycomb? Does it come with an unlocked bootloader? Is it hacker friendly?

And AndyPad replied : @mikebell_ No - ICS. Yes. Yes.

I know this is not "rooted" per se, but it shouldn't be a problem to get to that point?

Guest McSpoon

Yes they posted that ad and it has been filled by somebody known in the Android community who knows what they are doing. I cannot say any more than that.

Ohh interesting. Do tell... please... :)

That is good to hear. It has given me a lot more faith. I hope he/she tests it with various apps moved to SD etc (inc. the AndyPad app itself). And they have it show the download progress in the notification bar even when the app is closed like Android Market does. And make it secure... I could go on... :)

I know who they recruited and he knows what he's doing. :)

P

Guest McSpoon

When I first saw that freelance job advert my reaction was 'uh-oh'. But it's good to know it's in safe hands. I now have faith that part will get delivered.

I still have my doubts about their official ICS upgrade promises but hopefully they'll prove me wrong.